Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

A pair of .plan updates by 3D Realms' Joe Siegler and id Software's Jim Dosé, who formerly worked at 3D Realms himself, have the sad news that former 3D Realms programmer William Scarboro recently died of a severe asthma attack (also the cause of the untimely demise of Doug Myres last year). His obituary, which Joe points out is generally accurate (but has the date of death wrong), has details on the services that were held yesterday, and both updates offer thoughts on working with William, and other personal reminiscences. Update: There have also been subsequent .plan updates on this from 3D Realms' Scott Miller and Gearbox Software's Randy Pitchford.

Our heartfelt condolences go out to William's friends and family.

Play Time: Alien Hominid (Flash required). Thanks [MC-2]:DOoZeR.
Link of the Day: American Lung Association's Asthma Attacks Page. For asthmatics (like MrsBlue) and those of us who love them.
Story of the Day: Judo students foil carjacking. Thanks Travy-trav and Lurch.
Tombstone ATM Doles Out Inheritance. Thanks Brett.
Explosive Catch. Thanks Core114.
Wild Science: Fertile Imaginations. Thanks Mike Martinez.
Weird Science: India calls in X-Files agents to unmask face-scratching alien. Thanks EvilToast.

View
114 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

94. Get over it... Aug 20, 2002, 22:22 sorryzen

So someone dies...big deal...happens everyday...someone makes a joke about someone's death...big deal...happens everyday...

But now for someone to get banned (or their thread deleted) because of something they write...Jesus, are we now living in Nigeria?...

This is my take...if it isn't criminal, then why change anon posting, or deleting threads...Blue, get over yourself...the dude didn't invent bread...he programmed...died....boo-hooo-hoooo...so what if some people liked him...I never knew the guy so joking about his death is not a big deal...

I thought this site was cool, now I know it is run by nerds who think that whatever they think should be law...what are you Muslim...were you involved in the WTC bombings, Blue?...get over yourself....

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

93. Anon as option? Aug 20, 2002, 22:06 Wiwi Jumbo

Far be it for me to actually read all this crap, but here's an idea that might have been mentioned already...

How about Anon posting is an option once you login?

So you could write your little message which you don't want the world to know comes from you, yet Blue would maintain some ability to control trouble makers. Hell the software could be double-blind so that Blue can't even see who he's censoring.

Anyways, I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this or not.

I'm not sure I care one way or another.... about *ANY*thing that people have been bitching about...

Wiwi
"I trust in my abilites,
but I want more then they offer"

92. Re: Hmmm... Aug 20, 2002, 21:02 EvilGoof

Who is this Blue dickhead anyways? Is that his real name?

I think that fuckhead Hump should go hump someone else's leg. Fag!

If anybody should be stopped from posting, it shopuld be those fat-ass developers that spend all their time on message boards instead of finishing their game. Get back and finish your fucking game George Broussard and quit arguing like a retard from the special olympics!

91. Re: #89 Hmmm... Aug 20, 2002, 21:01 :|

Don't feed the trolls.

90. Re: Hmmm... Aug 20, 2002, 20:46 Hump

that make you feel better now?

dick....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

89. Hmmm... Aug 20, 2002, 20:25 sorryzen

Well, the guy probably died waiting for Duke Nukem Forever to come out.

I do wonder what someone dying from an asthma attack looks like. I mean is it like gasping for breath, heavy breathing, the horse sounds that asthma people make and then nothing...silence. Actually that sounds pretty funny. I think I have seen that in a movie.

88. Re: Quick observation Aug 20, 2002, 20:25 Dwarf_Snowninja

This is probably one of the few intelligent threads that I've ever seen. I think its was a much needed move to ban anon posting. Yeah, it may suck for some ppl, but I really don't see how 35 seconds (thats how long it takes on my dial up) to enter my email address and password is that big a deal. Its a typical theme throughout history, people want the rights without the responsibility. They want the governmental services without the government or without the taxes. Sorry, you can have one, but not both. Someone might argue that it's totalitarian and Blue's being a dictator. So what! It's his site, he can do whatever he wants. He's perfectly justified in doing whatever he wants because, as it says in his title, "Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life."
Someone might argue that he achieved those titles because of the people that post on this site, I think that he achieved those titles for those people. He's job is to present the news in as best a manner he possibly can, and according to his judgement, removing anon posting was in the best interest of the community at large. Sure, some people are hurt by this, if you can say making someone take 30 seconds to register hurting, but I serious fail to understand why it's such a huge snafu.

This comment was edited on Aug 20, 20:25.

87. Re: Quick observation Aug 20, 2002, 19:53 Swiffer

First, I think Blue was totally unjustified in the way that he reacted to that second post.

I don't think that post was intended as a troll AT ALL, and I myself might have asked the very same thing, because that's the first thing I wondered myself when I heard the news.

Also, disabling anonymous posting is annoying.

It's annoying because I don't feel like logging in every time I post. Sites always forget my login, whether by design, or by accident. If I have to request my passsword via email every time I want to post I'll just forego posting instead.

Also a lot of people who work in the industry and might have interesting commentary on a story might not be able to respond with their true feelings on something if it can be traced back to them.

86. Re: Quick observation Aug 20, 2002, 19:07 Bronco

anon@...
then it ought to actually be up to us, not one person.

JHMirage
Then you want a publicly controlled board. Not one on a private site.

Good idea! Try http://www.chatbear.com and start your own board (since Bagpuss isn't here to plug his product). Won't cost you a dime and you can have all the anon messages you want.

Thats the great thing about the internet, you can do it your own way...and if your way is better, they will flock to you.

-TPFKAS2S

-TPFKAS2S

85. Re: Duke Nukem Guy Aug 20, 2002, 18:39  Blue 

What has happened is that Blue has reacted to it, affecting all of us, because of how he took the joke. I, personally, didn't have a problem with it at all. And my step-brother was asthmatic as a child.

For someone who brought up straw men, you are fond of this one. The posts that finally triggered the decision to put an end to anon posting (which I have also pointed out had been already basically decided upon) were the two to the Quakecon thread today, not the one I made the warning about at the beginning of this thread (further evidenced by the fact that I chose to delete the comments on the QuakeCon thread, but not the one made here). And my reaction to that one had everything to do with its treatment of William's death, and nothing to do with the fact that it was asthma related.

I guess it helps your point to make the decision to nix anon posting sound self-involved and capricious, but it is not the case.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

84. Re: Get a life! Aug 20, 2002, 18:38 Festus

Amen Gojo,
Can we talk about Games now?

**Festus**
How could I possibly be expected to handle school on a day like this?

83. Re: Get a life! Aug 20, 2002, 18:14 Holmes

Woo Hoo!! Welcome back Trolls, God we missed you (sniff).

82. Get a life! Aug 20, 2002, 18:11 Gojo

I find it comical that you guys are going on and on and ON about this.
"Blue banned anon posts, OMG lets spend all day talking about it." LOL!
If the banning of anonymous posts on a Gaming website is your biggest concern, you are blessed indeed.

Can't you find a more constructive way to spend your day?

Sheesh!

=-Gojo-=

81. Re: Duke Nukem Guy Aug 20, 2002, 18:10 anon@216.23

Everyone has a different opinion on it, because everyone reacts differently. This is the nature of humor.

What has happened is that Blue has reacted to it, affecting all of us, because of how he took the joke. I, personally, didn't have a problem with it at all. And my step-brother was asthmatic as a child.

80. Wow Aug 20, 2002, 18:09 Hazard

An actual, serious discussion on BluesNews! I can't believe it! Someone even used the word "hyperbole"!!

Seriously, this was actually one of the very few bigger-than-50-posts threads I ever read completely. All the other ones we had lately were really only 5 post threads with lots of insults in between. Let's just hope it will stay this way - and if it doesn't it was definitely worth a try.

On another note, I find it kind of sad that a thread that should really be dedicated to someone who brought many hours of fun to many of us evolved to be a discussion about a website feature. But looking at the beginning of my own post this seems to be something that I contributed to myself, so I'll just better shut up. But it's still sad ...

Fully automatic backups with Ocster Backup Pro 3
http://www.ocster.com

79. Re: Duke Nukem Guy Aug 20, 2002, 18:05 LarryLaffer

The thing I'm confused about is. Was it really that insensitive of a question to begin with? The fact that I can't tell it is insensistive and others can, makes me wonder how insensitive I am.

Laffman.......

78. Re: Quick observation Aug 20, 2002, 17:54 anon@216.23

Right. That is contained within one of my posts way way way down, where I suggested acceptable solutions that encompassed options like that. Unfortunently, no one responded with their criticisms of its feasibility.

I also want to know about what we're going to do when the trolls come back, and Blue has to spend more time banning accounts and removing messages.

77. Re: Quick observation Aug 20, 2002, 17:51 JHMirage

then it ought to actually be up to us, not one person.

Then you want a publicly controlled board. Not one on a private site.

Jeff

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Computer over?
Virus = very yes?
That's not a good prize!

76. Re: Quick observation Aug 20, 2002, 17:49 Holmes

The issue of banning anon posts (from where I am coming from) is now moving into the idea about privacy and whether it is acceptable to desire it, when realizing that you can be prosecuted for what you say or believe, by those who wish to silence you. I don't know where you are getting the assumption that I am on an agenda to talk about gay people being beaten to death on fences.

I'm sorry if I gave you the impression that I was making fun of the turn this debate has taken, but you have to admit your examples (gays being beaten to death for instance) were a bit over the top, particularly when our starting point was the issue of anon posting. I actually love to watch a debate transmorigify into something that encompases larger issues, but that doesn't mean I can't laugh at the absurdity of it from time to time :-)

I think that everyone acknowledges the fact that you will never get rid of trolls. Getting rid of anon posters is just an attempt to cut down on trash posts, nothing more, nothing less, with the hope that it will do more good than harm to the community.

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 15:37.

75. Re: Quick observation Aug 20, 2002, 17:48 anon@216.23

I think, however, that when "we have to make choices about what level of interaction is needed to post here", then it ought to actually be up to us, not one person.

And no, I don't want to get silly. I think this is important. *shrug*

114 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo