Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

BF 1942 MP Demo Server

Electronic Arts sends along the Win32 dedicated server for the multiplayer demo of Battlefield 1942, the 3D vehicular action game that is nearing completion at Digital Illusions. The 21.5 MB download is distributed in advance of the demo so that prospective server administrators can prepare in time. The actual demo itself will feature the Wake Island multiplayer map and is slated for release tomorrow at 6:00 PM EDT (3:00 PM PDT). Update: The demo release time has been advanced to 3:00 PM EDT (noon PDT).

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Big Question about LAN play Aug 16, 2002, 13:04 anon@141.214

Yes. Lan is supported.

I have no idea what the Disclaimer means. Maybe officially hosted servers or something?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Big Question about LAN play Aug 16, 2002, 11:08 richcz3

I didn't think about it till now, but the official site does not mention LAN play. Only online play.
The site also has this little discalimer.

*Online gameplay website for Battlefield 1942&#8482; will be available only through September 4, 2003 subject to online Terms of Service and all features may not be available at the time of purchase.

So, are we stuck having to play multiplay online? Worse yet, having to possibly play after Sept 2003????
Does anyone know the real details concerning playing over a LAN.

richcz3

33. Must get home.... Aug 16, 2002, 10:29 anon@65.217

must play.  

32. download fo mpdemo Aug 16, 2002, 10:26 anon@65.217

go to www.bf1942.com or www.bf1942.de

list of 11 mirrors. I got it already using getright....

31. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2002, 08:32 anon@141.214

"LOL #26!"

What's so funny? I think he's absolutely right about everything he said. Especially about using the CS model for DOD.

30. Re: ATTENTION: people who know ASM! Aug 16, 2002, 03:48 anon@24.209

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

29. Re: No subject Aug 16, 2002, 02:13 anon@217.35

Fools- Nothin touches AA for realism, animations,sound,graphics & gameplay.

"Lock up everyone till they 30"

Man i h8 kids

28. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2002, 23:54 anon@24.151

LOL #26!  

27. BF 1942 Aug 15, 2002, 23:15 anon@65.29

I was reading through the post's and was thinking, doesn't America's army "Recon" have ladder animation's? I have played BF 1942 SP for sometime now and it is very good, no faults found so far :)....Hughey  

26. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2002, 22:42 anon@24.162

I know #23, I hate when the footsteps don't match the leg movement. I also hate how new games are comming out riddled with ladders in the levels but no player animations climbing them. I understand why older games like CS don't but there is no excuse for 2002 games. Developers spend all there time on levels and getting those detail textures that you only see real up close just right but ignore basic models animations and matching the footstep sounds.

Jedi Knight 2 does not even change footstep sounds in the game or match them up with the animation even though JK 1 was one of the first games to have footsteps and had them change over different surfaces and match the animation... and that was in 1997. Raven just does'nt care, I guess. I want developers to put more time into models and animation and realistic sounds like matching footsteps even if it means there will be less levels in the game because the community can always make more levels but nobody can fix the models and animation in a completed game once it is fucked up and released.

It is too bad DoD could'nt have linked up their models with the CS skeleton animation and footstep code but maybe having a prone ability in the game made it too hard for beginners... who knows, I don't play it and don't plan to because BF1942 is all I think about for now. I am glad I am not the only one that notices these details because they influence my buying decisions alot and maybe that is why CS is still big. People spend alot of time spectating those kind of games so the animations and sounds better be decent. SOF2 made me sick spectating because it looked so stupid so I don't play the game anymore and sold it.

25. Re: ATTENTION: people who know ASM! Aug 15, 2002, 22:34 anon@65.95

HAHAHAHAHHA well said #20.
Get a frickin clue #19

24. Re: Almost here, yee-ha. Aug 15, 2002, 22:22 Painkillr

It is gay to Rocket Jump, but you can and its true you don't take much dmg. I did it for suicide and it took me like 3-4 shots @ my feet.

23. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2002, 21:51 anon@24.247

"CS may be old technology but it still has the best, most realistic walk/run animations so far."

Agreed. In Day of Defeat, the sounds of the footsteps dont even match the leg movements. Stupid. The animations for MOH dont even come close to CS. Actually, nothing does.

22. Re: ATTENTION: people who know ASM! Aug 15, 2002, 21:16 anon@66.183

#20 Is that what you call an "intelligent" reply? Ok, I'll just ignore this one. If you don't believe me, download and see for yourself that all the game data is there.  

21. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2002, 20:56 anon@24.162

CS may be old technology but it still has the best, most realistic walk/run animations so far. I have played SOF2 and spectated and boy did those models look stupid running. There heads never moved like they have stiff necks and they are all bent over. All Quake 3 engine games seem to have stupid looking models animation with alot of foot sliding. CS seems the best so far until maybe this game. The models in this BF1942 look pretty cool and even have face expressions so I am looking forward to it. They even have ladder climbing animations which no game seems to have and I am tired of it being left out!

20. Re: ATTENTION: people who know ASM! Aug 15, 2002, 20:50 anon@24.162

According to the info on this dedicated server install, it is only a little more than 20 megs so it looks like you may be the real dumb-ass here so fuck off and assemble some brains. The demo will be over 100 megs. One more fucking day to go.

19. ATTENTION: people who know ASM! Aug 15, 2002, 20:03 anon@66.183

%)%)%)%)%)%)%)%)%)%)%)%)%)%)%)%)%)%)
The dedicated server that you can download now IS the demo. You can check it for yourself with a hex viewer. It has a function in BF1942Demo.exe that is called at startup that starts DedicatedServer.exe. Unfortunatelly, my comp doesn't have enough ram to disassemble 7MB file in a reasonable ammount of time. If you have a better comp and know assembly, all you have to do is find a function that references DedicatedServer.exe in the string table and replace the function call with nop.
P.S. I don't expect that people who able to do that read these board. I almost gave up on reading it myself, since most of the posts look like: "hey, this _____ sucks" "you suck yourself dumbass go jerk off asshole". So, I don't have much hope for any _intelligent_ reply

18. No subject Aug 15, 2002, 19:32 anon@211.28

i think CS sux arse personally.  

17. No subject Aug 15, 2002, 18:52 anon@195.92

I think counterstrike is seriously overrated but there you go. Just my opinion.  

16. Re: No subject Aug 15, 2002, 18:51 anon@24.80

no linux server, smart. just like mohaa, does ea have something against linux servers?  

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo