Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

America's Army Recon Demo

A bit earlier than anticipated, NVIDIA is the first site to offer downloads of the Recon demo of America's Army: Operations, the free first-person shooter game that was developed by the U.S. Army using the Unreal engine. The Recon demo requires a whopping 203.9 MB download, and offers "four single player basic training missions including a rifle range, obstacle course and weapons course," as well as "six multiplayer missions including a homeland defense operation, urban training, freeing prisoners, and protecting against an act of ecological terrorism." Word from HomeLan Fed is that the login authorization and multiplayer servers are not due to be launched until the original release time of 3:00 AM EDT (midnight PDT) though. Further mirrors can be expected on the official site by that time as well. Update: Mirrors are already online at FilePlanet (registration required) and 3D Gamers.

View
428 Replies. 22 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

388. Re: Yellow Press Jul 10, 2002, 01:12 anon@63.208

"As Interdependence Day approaches, the United States humbly admitted error in bombing a wedding party in Afghanistan, killing around 40 people and injuring more than 60."

Only a few deaths have been confirmed so far, so that's not nescesearly true. (this could be like the "Massacre" that Isreal commited, where thousands were killed!!!.. wait no.. only 58. Or any massive civilian casulties reported to be caused by the U.S but later proven to be BS)

For the pilots and American citizens, these mistakes are akin to losses while playing a video game. From afar, with targets merely illuminated points on a screen, the people who die are unreal, just numbers and statistics.

True that it's hard to feel bad for those that died without having ever realy seen them, but most feel at least a little bad. Certinly not happy like our enemies felt at intentionaly killing thousands of inocent people. An enemy who would be thrilled to kill millions more if only it was in it's power. And they wouldn't need the comfort of hiding behind computer screens either, they'd cut your throat without blinking or giving a second of consideration to your pain. If you're not with them your just another pig/mokey/great satan inhuman scum, and weather man, woman, or child they'd happily inflict pain on and kill you. (Also, U.S civilians don't go out and dance in the street when mistakes like this happen.)

[i"The rhetoric about a "new war" with Iraq is a farce. We are already at war informally with them. Friday June 28th we dropped bombs in the South of Iraq."

Agreed, it's still the same old war. They surrenderd with conditions that we'de be alowed to be there to make sure they weren't devoloping weapons of mass destruction. They kicked weapon inspectors out and don't follow the conditions they agreed to, hence we RESUME the combat. And yes we do currently bomb sites in Iraq, SAM sites that lock on to or try to engage US pilots enforcing the no-fly zone. (that's called self-defence)

[i"Is it righteous or noble to kill unarmed guests at a wedding? Moreover, to what end are we still bombing Afghanistan - has it brought us closer to capturing Osama bin Laden? "

Our enemy would think it righteous and nobel yes, we do not, but unintentional mistakes like this happen in war, hell in some WWII operations friendly soldiers would be taken out by the hundreds by "friendly" bombers. (not even talking about 'enemy' civilian casulties) We've gotten alot better since then but when you start tossing a few tons of explosives around, something bad is bound to happen sooner or later.. Maybe when (the author of that stuff) Leah C. Wells from the "Peace Education Coordinator for the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation" creates that magical 'Make justice and peace around the world and only hurt the bad bad evil people" button for us to press at any time we please. We can stop bombing and dismantel our military.. Untill she dose though we unfortunetly can't do that.

"millions of American children will be lighting sparklers and tracing their names in the night sky. They should also trace the names of any of the thousands of displaced Afghani children, due to the bombings, who are still refugees on the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan. They should trace the names of the Iraqi children who are their same-age counterparts, held captive under the sanctions and threatened almost daily by U.S. bombs. On Interdependence Day, each and every one of us is affected by an errant bomb."

And the names of the thousands killed (not just 'displaced') by our enemies, and the names of the Afghan people happy the US came in, and can now do unspeakable and terrible things, like fly a kite or play music, or not have to worry about being beaten 'cause their beard's too short. Oh and don't start that Iraqi childern BS. 'A million Iraqi childern die of starvation because of US sanctions!!!' yea I heard that shit, meanwhile every Palace that sadam has is as clean and shiny as ever, and he pays $25,000 (Im sure that's a small insignificant amount in that part of the world) to the family of every palastinian suicide bomber in Israel.. yeah they're realy starving because of us.

And what, you ask dose all this have to do with the army game?!?!

well nothing, just tossing more political fuel on the fire!

Weee!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

387. Re: Yellow Press Jul 10, 2002, 00:19 anon@68.98

Moreover, to what end are we still bombing Afghanistan - has it brought us closer to capturing Osama bin Laden?

No, we're no closer to capturing him but what does that have to do with what we're doing in Afghanistan? Do people really think that we're over there to find one person?

As for the wedding, the military has completed its preliminary investigation but haven't released a number of casualties. Media outlets (whoever that means) say it's around 40 dead and 100 injured. A full investigation is underway as we speak, I believe, but the media will have moved on to other stories by the time it is finished so likely you'll have to search yourself to find out what the investigation turns up (if you choose to believe the results).

Oh yeah, and the wedding party was the third time this month that people on the ground have said that their fire was celebratory, not aimed at the flights overhead. Maybe it was just random celabratory fire--I couldn't tell you either way. But I can just imagine the afghani equivalent of a redneck saying "hey look, US planes flying overhead! instead of firing randomly into the air i'm going to shoot at them!" ... it only takes one moron...

386. Re: Yellow Press Jul 9, 2002, 23:23 Disembodied Voice

Goddam all of you, can we have some game discussion? Cheese and Rice, I came here and found a bunch of anon's yacking about politics; read that as teenage dolts and pothead college know-it-alls. You dimwits would believe the moon was made of lasagna if you read it online. How about some game discussion for the gamers and you poli-sci whiz kids can hang out over at AOL with the other lame asses. I hate you fuckers clogging up this site with pol talk. Go away and go away now.

385. Re: Yellow Press Jul 9, 2002, 22:45 anon@24.92

"Has enough justice not been rendered on the citizens of Afghanistan to make up for the loss of lives on September 11th?"

No. But, we'll let you know when we're done.

384. Re: Yellow Press Jul 9, 2002, 22:27 anon@148.78

Thats all you can say to an article that had a hell of a lot of truths in it. Keep your sad lives in denial if you want, one day when you get shot or blown up by a terrorist yourself maybe you'll wake up?

383. Re: Yellow Press Jul 9, 2002, 21:38 anon@24.209

boring  

382. Re: But wait a minute.. Jul 9, 2002, 21:36 anon@148.78

I wish Russia had invaded US and turned us all red. Russia has much better food and alcohol.

381. OMG Jul 9, 2002, 21:32 anon@66.57

I uninstalled America's Army

Too much stress, too many other games to occupy my free time ... maybe later ... you nuts enjoy it!

A. Nony Mouse

380. Re: But wait a minute.. Jul 9, 2002, 20:58 anon@64.231

STFU  

379. Re: But wait a minute.. Jul 9, 2002, 20:25 anon@148.78

Some of the people whining about this discussion remind me of people who get into a moshpit and then complain that they got their nose broken.

IF YOU DONT LIKE WHAT IS COOKIN IN THE KITCHEN NOBODY GIVES A DAMN.

378. Re: But wait a minute.. Jul 9, 2002, 20:12 anon@64.231

If that was sincere, about me passin MOUT I thank you. I've been trying for 5 days, Always winning, roe crap e.t.c
Why do I want to play it so BAD, is it because I cant?

One for Freud

377. Re: But wait a minute.. Jul 9, 2002, 19:49 Politically Censored

" Umm... I'm not sure here, but isn't "America's Army" grammatically incorrect?
No, the apostrophe can also denote possession, depending on the context used. When saying "America's Army," you are saying the army belonging to America. "

This is correct...it denotes possession, but however I do respect the fact that #374 can speak/read more than one language.

#373 I'm sorry to hear about your problem with the game and I hope that you overcome your obstacle.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 19:50.

376. Yellow Press Jul 9, 2002, 19:46 anon@68.82

The Wedding Was a Bomb
Real Fireworks or Just Bombs Again?
by Leah C. Wells

As Interdependence Day approaches, the United States humbly admitted error in bombing a wedding party in Afghanistan, killing around 40 people and injuring more than 60. Bombs and rockets in our country symbolize a celebration of freedom, but in other parts of the world, these explosions are all too real, bringing carnage, death and grueling efforts to survive destruction of homes and livelihood.

This error, undoubtedly labeled 'collateral damage', stands next to a smattering of misguided bombs which have inadvertently and regrettably killed hundreds of civilians in numerous countries over the past few years. As reported by the BBC, during the current Bush administration's war on terror in Afghanistan, U.S. planes accidentally killed four Canadians in April, bombed the town of Hazar Qadam in January, fired at a caravan of tribal elders en route to the inauguration ceremony for Hamid Karzai and last October hit a residential area in Kabul rather than the intended helicopter at the airport. Oops.

For the pilots and American citizens, these mistakes are akin to losses while playing a video game. From afar, with targets merely illuminated points on a screen, the people who die are unreal, just numbers and statistics. When we kill by remote control, our hands are theoretically clean. The computer won't show blood and won't cry; it's a machine, an abstraction.

The people affected by our ubiquitous blunders, however, are terribly real, as is their pain. In February of 199, during the Gulf War, U.S. planes bombed a women's and children's shelter in Baghdad called al-Amiriya. Hundreds of civilians died as a result of the two bombs hitting this supposed-safe haven. The U.S. apologized after realizing what happened, but still continues to bomb the country, even in the past week.

The rhetoric about a "new war" with Iraq is a farce. We are already at war informally with them. Friday June 28th we dropped bombs in the South of Iraq. Wednesday the 26th of June as well. On Thursday the 20th of June four people in Iraq were killed when U.S. planes bombed them. Eighteen people were wounded when bombs fell on Iraq on the 25th of May. And another four were killed when we bombed Iraq on February 6th. I'd imagine that Iraqis feel attacked and besieged as bombs continue to fall in an undeclared, ongoing, indefinite war that inevitably targets civilians.

When I tell people this, they invariably say, "Where'd you hear this? Why didn't I know about it?" It's in the news, alright, but it's just hard to find. These statistics get buried in the middle of stories about deposing Saddam Hussein and vilifying his evil acts.

"But Saddam kills his own people!" He did this in the 1980's as well when he was our friend. We just turned a blind eye then. Besides, we kill our own people, executing hundreds of people since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976. The crime of a state murdering its own civilians looks different when it's on our own soil.

Incidentally, these bombs that rain down on Iraq are illegal under international law. They were not approved by Congress nor by the United Nations. The United States justifies dropping bombs as we unlawfully patrol Iraqi borders enforcing the bogus "no fly zones." Iraqis have become sadly accustomed to the noisy air raid sirens.

You cannot achieve peace through war. The United States cannot continue to be proud guardians of weapons of mass destruction and deify their usage, apologize for their errors and claim that we are the land of the free and the home of the brave. Do these mistakes which take innocent lives make us safer or prove our strength or our liberty? Is it righteous or noble to kill unarmed guests at a wedding? Moreover, to what end are we still bombing Afghanistan - has it brought us closer to capturing Osama bin Laden? Has enough justice not been rendered on the citizens of Afghanistan to make up for the loss of lives on September 11th?

We are not alone on this small planet, a fact that ought to be in the hearts and minds of all Americans as the nationally celebrated holiday approaches. We drive automobiles made in Japan, drink coffee from South America, wear clothes made in Southeast Asia, buy oil from the Middle East and Africa and import furniture from Sweden. Even our fireworks are made in China!

On July 4th, millions of American children will be lighting sparklers and tracing their names in the night sky. They should also trace the names of any of the thousands of displaced Afghani children, due to the bombings, who are still refugees on the border of Afghanistan and Pakistan. They should trace the names of the Iraqi children who are their same-age counterparts, held captive under the sanctions and threatened almost daily by U.S. bombs. On Interdependence Day, each and every one of us is affected by an errant bomb.

Leah C. Wells serves as Peace Education Coordinator for the Nuclear Age Peace Foundation. She may be contacted at education@napf.org.

375. Re: But wait a minute.. Jul 9, 2002, 18:55 anon@129.219

Umm... I'm not sure here, but isn't "America's Army" grammatically incorrect?

No, the apostrophe can also denote possession, depending on the context used. When saying "America's Army," you are saying the army belonging to America.

374. But wait a minute.. Jul 9, 2002, 17:54 anon@217.210

Umm... I'm not sure here, but isn't "America's Army" grammatically incorrect? Spelling it "America's" means it's short for "America Is", right? Shouldn't it be "Americas Army"?
I might be wrong though, I'm not English.

373. Re: ooooo though guys Jul 9, 2002, 17:42 anon@64.231

Look, I started all the STFU posts, and I do care about politics, BUT I dont want to read it when I'm gaming.
Also I'm frustrated that I'm not passing MOUT!! so I vent here , just like all of you.

That is all you may go.

372. Re: ooooo though guys Jul 9, 2002, 16:34 Politically Censored

You freakin' guy...heh, I can tell you don't give one crap about the world you live in or things going on around you and I can't really blame you. I mean, it's so much easier to remain ignorant, (and I'm not calling you stupid), and trust someone else, (the government), to make decisions that are in your best interest. The people that died in the Twin Towers probably felt the same way. They were unsuspecting and oblivious that anything was wrong in the world that could have affected them. Do you realise that the things you don't want to hear about are causing thousands to die monthly due to restrictions that have been placed on them by the U.S.. I hope that when retribution comes, my friend, it ends up on your door step and not mine.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 16:39.

371. BOOOOOM! Jul 9, 2002, 16:33 anon@131.96

371!! do we have a record?  

370. Re: ooooo though guys Jul 9, 2002, 16:32 anon@64.231

Look at me, I'm STILL sooo smart, I know this & that and lots of things, like when I walk I need to put my LEFT foot then RIGHT foot, ummm I feel that this represents the lack of representation of municipal factions associated with the matter at hand.

POLITICAL ENOUGH FOR YA ..... NOW STFU AGAIN BEEATCH

369. Re: pinicle Jul 9, 2002, 16:07 anon@148.78

"Some of America's Presidents/Vice Presidents have had trouble with spelling and grammar as well. Does that make them idiots too?"

Answer:

*************YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*******************

428 Replies. 22 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo