Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

America's Army Recon Demo

A bit earlier than anticipated, NVIDIA is the first site to offer downloads of the Recon demo of America's Army: Operations, the free first-person shooter game that was developed by the U.S. Army using the Unreal engine. The Recon demo requires a whopping 203.9 MB download, and offers "four single player basic training missions including a rifle range, obstacle course and weapons course," as well as "six multiplayer missions including a homeland defense operation, urban training, freeing prisoners, and protecting against an act of ecological terrorism." Word from HomeLan Fed is that the login authorization and multiplayer servers are not due to be launched until the original release time of 3:00 AM EDT (midnight PDT) though. Further mirrors can be expected on the official site by that time as well. Update: Mirrors are already online at FilePlanet (registration required) and 3D Gamers.

View
428 Replies. 22 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

148. No subject Jul 5, 2002, 03:49 anon@210.49

Taliban = 1

USA = 0

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

147. No subject Jul 5, 2002, 03:49 anon@210.49

Talban = 1

USA = 0

146. Re: Problems with game :[ Jul 5, 2002, 03:48 CIMA-d

I agree, in a lot of ways it feels like this game was rushed. There are a few bugs in this game, and obviously it sucks for people like yourself who can't even get it to run, the lack of an in game-browser, and of course the unreadiness for the sheer amount of people trying to play this game.

But, hopefully this will all be resolved soon, and the game will be more polished with future release additions.

145. Problems with game :[ Jul 5, 2002, 03:28 Mawwman

Sorry this is such a long post but I wanted to tell the whole story and make some comments about this game all in one...

This is my first post on this forum. I downloaded the game demo file okay via DSL, and it installed, although the installation took forever.
When I started the game it hung on a static loading screen and just sat there. I did ctrl+alt+del and I see that Army Ops is "(not responding)". So I cancel that little screen, but the game is still stuck. Esc does nothing. Alt+F4 does nothing. Alt+Tab does nothing. So I go back to ctr+alt+del and manually shut the game down. Then before it will shut down, another window, with the yellow exclamation point and the message "The program is not responding.." comes up.
Eventually the game shuts down, and I am back to my desktop. I do DClean, Disk Cleanup, RegClean, run Wash 'n' Go, run Panda Antivirus, restart the computer a couple of times, everything I can think of except go buy a new computer, then I tried the Army game again, with the same results. I tried about twice more and by this time I had two hours messing with it and hadn't got past the loading screen yet.
So I decided, oh well, and as per instructions, went to Settings/Control Panel/Add Remove Programs, to uninstall it. (In the Programs in the Start menu, there was no uninstaller with the Army demo itself).
The Windows uninstaller would not uninstall the game. It hung up. for about a half an hour and finally I just unplugged the computer, then plugged it back in and let windows scan the disk during restart.
Then I tried to uninstall it again using the Windows uninstaller in Add/Remove Programs, and once again it just hung there. I let it hang there and went out of the house for two hours and when I got back the uninstallation was finished.

By this time, I'm starting to get worried, thinking, " hmmm...is this the same U.S. Army that is allowed to play with REAL explosives..?." Scary thought.

It shouldn't have to be so much trouble. I don't get it. In general, the Unreal/UT engine is tried and true and reliable. In general, the Add/Remove Programs in Windows will actually uninstall a game in about thirty seconds on this computer.

I'm not trying to trash the Army Ops game. It looks really good. The screenshots look great. I was looking forward to playing it- still am, if I can get it to run. I've played all kinds of games using the Unreal and UT engine versions. Unreal, Unreal Tournament, and several others. Nearly every action shooter of the past three or four years is installed on this computer, and they work fine, except that some of my older games like Heretic 2 and the original Unreal look a lot better on a friend's computer, (which has a P2 400 and a Voodoo 3 2000) than they do on this GeForce 2.

But except for those few 3dfx-loving games, everything else has run really well on this computer. I have only 128 mb RAM on this computer. Maybe that is not enough. and at best I have about 60 of that available, often less.

I don't know why the game won't fly on this system. this computer has no trouble with most games, except a few very recent ones with very high system requirements. Maybe American Army's requirements are too high for this computer.

I don't have the SysRec numbers handy, since I uninstalled the demo. I guess they would be easy to find over at the official site. But if they are too high for this computer, how does the Army expect any serious number of people to be able to play it? This computer is not the biggest and baddest, but is still more powerful than the average Joe Computer's rig.

I use this P 933 computer for going online, so I DL'ed the file to this one. I have another newer computer, P4 2.2 gigahertz, 1.0 gig RAM, Geforce 4 TI 4600, but I really don't want to put this demo into it, and screw it up, if it's too buggy. . That Pentium 4 computer is not connected to the Internet yet, and it works too well right now, and I don't want to mess it up with a game that not only will not load, but is hard as hell to uninstall.

Did they hurry this one out the door because of the holiday? Stupid question... they must have. In the world of "regular" game developing the game is done "when it's done" a lot of times, but with the Army involved, it was maybe more like "It WILL be done by 07-04-2002 - and that's an order!"

I wonder if they will make a PS2 version. Or GQ. One that really works, without bugs and high system requirements. Then they would really reach America's youth.

Speaking of which- some kindly advice from "old grandpa Mawwman"... (message from this old-timer. I didn't fight in Nam, but lived through those years... some of my schoolmates fought it, and not all of them came back alive, and some came back broken in mind and body, and thirty years later, they still are.)

a.Computer games are fun. War games are fun.

b War is not fun. Sometimes war is necessary. Sometimes it happens, but could be avoided- like a lot of the 'Nam war.

c. In a real war, you can't just hit F7 when you die. You can't just press esc to get out of a bad firefight.

d. Always remember the difference between real violence and virtual violence.

Just a reminder to any cowboys who are eager to go kick some ass in a foreign land by being soldiers. The truth is, it's a dirty job, but sometimes someone's gotta do it. But believe me, no matter how good you are at Counterstrike or Q3, it only takes one real bullet or shell or grenade fragment to maim or kill you. So be careful. Think, think, think. War is a means of last resort.

Many young men of my generation were sucked into the military by the draft in the Vietnam years, and they had dreams of glory and kicking ass, and they thought they were invincible, and they believed what they were told, a lot of which was lies, and now their names are on the Wall.

A lot of them shouldn't have died. Choose your wars carefully, if you can.

Politically speaking, the release of this game by the U.S. Army, is historically significant, both for the gaming industry and for the U.S. Military. It hs the potential to be a very powerful recruitment tool. This is just the first beta test, you might say.

Just points to ponder.

I like the sassy attitude on this forum (some of it anyway)... keep up the skepticism.

"Don't trust leaders/ watch your parking meters"- Bob Dylan

Thanks Blue & Crew for this whole website. Great gaming site.

Here are my specs:
Win ME
Pentium 3 933
60 Gb HD
128 Mb RAM
GeForce 2 GTS, 64 Mb, Hardware Version 163

If anyone has any tips please post them, thanks.

-Mawwman

144. reply to #92 Jul 5, 2002, 03:15 anon@68.98

Well, I get fileplanet personal servers for free. Seriously. They need to work on their security. My friend just logs in under his account, goes to the file I ask for, and sends me a personal server link (he won't give me his account because he's paranoid of me getting his credit card). =)

-Also....
RDram? What a waste- DDR and RD switch performance levels in different areas- but they balance out in the end. Except for one BIG balance tipper- DDR is cheaper. ^_^

143. reply to #95 Jul 5, 2002, 03:13 anon@68.98

Well, I get fileplanet personal servers for free. Seriously. They need to work on their security. My friend just logs in under his account, goes to the file I ask for, and sends me a personal server link (he won't give me his account because he's paranoid of me getting his credit card). =)

-Also....
RDram? What a waste- DDR and RD switch performance levels in different areas- but they balance out in the end. Except for one BIG balance tipper- DDR is cheaper. ^_^

142. Re: Arg Jul 5, 2002, 01:52 anon@65.26

#130 said "This game is in D3D? Then it sucks. Period."

Welcome to 1996. In the future, it might interest to read into technologies such as DirectX 7, DirectX 8, and the upcoming DirectX 9. Also check out some games from 2000 to 2002.

KK. Thx.

141. Re: no subject Jul 5, 2002, 01:43 anon@65.26

I agree that this game is not going to changes people's minds about the army. They probably already know if they want to join or not. However, for the people that are considering joining the army, this game could at least get them a little more excited or "pumped up" about it.

I, for one, don't join the army because I don't want to waste a few years of my life being screamed at by some nimrod drill seargant. I'm just not the type of person that dishes out respect like that. I'm better suited managing a bunch of network guys in a corporate office.

140. Re: My Opinion Jul 5, 2002, 01:15 anon@203.39

Thank you CIMA-d

vim

139. My Opinion Jul 5, 2002, 01:07 CIMA-d

All bullshit aside . . .

If you have the patience, this game is actually really fun. The game is realistic and tough, but still fun. Most of the servers I've played on have been great . . . lots of teamwork. So far "Bridge" is my favorite map.

However, if you don't want to sit on Gamespy, listening and waiting for a server to open up, I'd suggest waiting. It takes me 3-5 tries to find an open server. Ping isn't great, but its not horrible . . . everyone on the servers I saw were in the 100-150 range. There are also some problems with the AA servers not updating, which can suck . . . but at least its not as bad as last night.

The training is easy, but I've heard finding a MOUT map online is a pain in the ass (only a few servers running it.)

Overall, I think this game is worth it. Its pretty realistic (you're gonna spend most of your time crouching or on your belly, else you take a bullet in the head.) I hated games like Ghost Recon and the Rainbox Six games, but despite its high level of realism, I think this game is really fun . . . like CS used to be for me. Graphiclly, the detail is amazing, and the animations, especially for the weapons, are extremely well done. I think most of the complaints people have with this game are due to the lack of servers, which hopefully will be remedied in due time. Until then, you'd probably be better off, I think, waiting till they get more servers up . . . unless you have the patience to wait for a server to open up.

I think by the end of the summer, when they release all elements of the game, this is going to really kick ass.

138. Re: god I feel dirty Jul 5, 2002, 00:49 anon@203.39

I was afraid it was going to be like that.

Is anyone else here willing to offer productive criticism of this game? _is it worth playing_ ?

vim

137. Re: #135 Jul 5, 2002, 00:46 CIMA-d

So you were too stupid to realize the point of this was to hopefully recruit people for the army BEFOREHAND?

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 00:47.

136. Re: god I feel dirty Jul 5, 2002, 00:38 anon@65.65

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD someone figure out how to trick this piece of shit into thinking I've played the MOUT training!!!!!!!!

I have been able to get into three games all day to try and win 4/7, but everytime my team is a bunch of bumbling idiots and we lose! RAWR!

I'm thinking about just uninstalling this POS because it ain't worth the trouble.

BRING ON UT2003!

135. god I feel dirty Jul 5, 2002, 00:32 anon@63.202

I actually installed this piece of shit and played up until the last mission... god this is the most pathetic piece of propoganda I have ever had the disgust to play. I felt so ashamed that I quickly uninstalled it. I think I'll go burn an American flag to redeem my soul. Happy fourth of july!  

134. Thx #122 Jul 5, 2002, 00:12 anon@66.214

Thx a bunch #122
too bad there is only one MOUT server and its full

133. Re: those missions: Jul 4, 2002, 23:41 Bronco

"todd, you´re an idiot"

Wait, which Todd?

Even more evidence that we need to have that cage match.

-TPFKAS2S

132. Re: muhahah Jul 4, 2002, 23:06 anon@148.78

Being color blind is bullshit. As far as I know, nobody who is color blind sees in "black and white", you only miss a certain spectrum of color, and typically not even that...just a color like "red" will be "orange" to a color blind person.

Besides, anyone worth their salt as a combat soldier wouldnt be bragging on some nerdy website. I doubt anyone here has what it takes. [except me, HAHAHAHAHAH]

131. Re: muhahah Jul 4, 2002, 21:09 Mashiki Amiketo

He's actually got a point, they are up and up to get color blind snipers and such, but he is an ass and while it's unlikly that they'll use him for any type of airborne infantry, a chance exists that someone will drop a suppy pack from a c130 flying overhead.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

130. Arg Jul 4, 2002, 21:05 anon@24.157

This game is in D3D? Then it sucks. Period. Plus the US army + Gamespy Nazis breathing down my neck while i play? With US propaganda? No thanks.

Ya, sure, propaganda and advertising has NOTHING to do with people joining the army. Whoever said that is a fucking idiot.

129. Re: No subject Jul 4, 2002, 20:41 anon@209.100

"yeah well dont forget going to flight school so you can fly a passenger jet into a skyscraper and kill thousands mission"

Unfortunately, I chose to play the FBI on that mission...all I got were orders from President Bush to stop all investigations of the Taliban and bin Laden, and start bulldozing a Los Alamos landfill to look for evidence against Lee Wen-Ho.

428 Replies. 22 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo