Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

America's Army Recon Demo

A bit earlier than anticipated, NVIDIA is the first site to offer downloads of the Recon demo of America's Army: Operations, the free first-person shooter game that was developed by the U.S. Army using the Unreal engine. The Recon demo requires a whopping 203.9 MB download, and offers "four single player basic training missions including a rifle range, obstacle course and weapons course," as well as "six multiplayer missions including a homeland defense operation, urban training, freeing prisoners, and protecting against an act of ecological terrorism." Word from HomeLan Fed is that the login authorization and multiplayer servers are not due to be launched until the original release time of 3:00 AM EDT (midnight PDT) though. Further mirrors can be expected on the official site by that time as well. Update: Mirrors are already online at FilePlanet (registration required) and 3D Gamers.

View
428 Replies. 22 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

188. Re: Soooo... Jul 5, 2002, 18:42 anon@216.165

Soooo... the military can use public tax payer dollars to purchase game engine rights, yet private industry has to pay for it out of their own pocket? No wonder government can afford to give it away for free.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

187. this game is crap Jul 5, 2002, 17:55 anon@209.83

Compared to MOH, RTCW and SOF2 this game is a piece of junk. The whole training thing and it seems unbalanced and just plain not as fun as any of the above. I'd rather see my tax money spent on something else, maybe giving raises to people who actually ARe in the military, because it achieves no purpose spending it on a damned game.  

186. Re: Soooo... Jul 5, 2002, 17:48 anon@64.170

Actually, most of the development team are faculty at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA and are Dept. of Defense employees. All of the development was done at NPS.  

185. No subject Jul 5, 2002, 17:43 anon@12.226

You guys need to complain about something legitimate, like how our govt. gives Israel $10 billion in aid every year, or gives Egypt $3 billion a year. For god's sake, this pales in comparison dollar wise to foreign aid! We give out hundreds of billions of dollars a year, and for what?, so some homey 12,000 miles away can have air conditioning in his hut? I
paid over $16,000 in taxes last year, and I for one, would rather see the money spent on something like this game than on some slob in another country who's too lazy to work at making his/her country a better place to live. I'm tired of working and paying outrageous taxes so 5.7 billion other people in the world can leech off of it.

184. Re: Soooo... Jul 5, 2002, 17:41 anon@195.92

I think that's in the forthcoming add-on

On another note, those people who are complaining about this taking funds away from private industry - who do you think the army paid to make this?
Your choices are:

1. Proffessor Fabulous and his Dancing Monkey Circus
2. The Munchkin Men
3. A Consortium of private companies with the game engine being licensed from Unreal

- in other words 7million going to private industry. Or do you people complain every time the Army commisions a jet from Lockheed or a gun from Grumman?:D

183. Soooo... Jul 5, 2002, 16:32 anon@195.92

Does it let you shoot wedding parties?  

182. Re: I hope this thread isn't dead yet... Jul 5, 2002, 15:51 anon@64.215

I'd just like to point out that I never called George W. Bush unintelligent, nor did I say that he's the cause of all of Americas problems. It's the multi-national corporations, oil companies and lazy, uninformed and undereducated Americans that are responsible for the state of the U.S. government.  

181. Recruiting? Marketing! Jul 5, 2002, 15:46 Mead

The point of it is that it's got everyone talking about recruitment, talking about the military, and whether or not it's a Good Thing to do.

And those people who play it will mention it, talk about it, and tell others about what's in it even if only to say "It sucks!". Remember, there is no such thing as 'bad press'. (...except perhaps the Atlanta Constipation and Urinal)

And with more people playing computer games and wasting time on the WWW, this might even have the potential to be *more* cost-effective than a television ad campaign. Maybe, maybe not.

Either way, it's better than them spending this game budget on a few toilet seats and screws.

180. Re: I hope this thread isn't dead yet... Jul 5, 2002, 15:34 Mead

Wait, how is it that people like you are able to say "Well, Dubya's about as smart as a stack of wet pancakes, just lookit how dumb he always looks, like Howdy Doody with a colostomy bag" and at then turn right around and insinuate that he's capable of Illuminati-level conspiracies, undetectable suppression of the national media outlets of several countries (some of which don't like us much anyway), and espionage on a global scale?

Can't have it both ways. If you need a reason to hate him, fine, but it can't be for being a mental testical *and* an Evil Genius at the same time.

179. Re: those missions: Jul 5, 2002, 15:21 Mead

My user id is 3931, the other 'Todd' has 10150. Also, our account creation dates are much different.

No need for a cage match, I win by default for having signed up with this name a year or so before the other.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have more idiot-riots to incite. Agitating the boneheads is just plain fun, ya know.

178. Re: budget Jul 5, 2002, 15:19 anon@217.84

I dont really believe that a one time game is competing with private industry, it is meant to be a tool.There is no way that the army could compete with id, sierra, etc. in this department.

And yes a descent salary would make me happier........

-inmate

177. Re: budget Jul 5, 2002, 15:19 anon@217.84

I dont really believe that a one time game is competing with private industry, it is meant to be a tool.There is no way that the army could compete with id, sierra, etc. in this department.

And yes a descent salary would make me happier........

176. Re: budget Jul 5, 2002, 15:15 DrEvil

AMEN #175, our salary is shit

175. Re: budget Jul 5, 2002, 15:12 anon@165.200

It's badly spent if it is competing with private industry. Since when did the U.S. government go all leftist on us? The money would have been better spent giving the current soldiers a decent salary. That would encourage more people to serve their country.  

174. budget Jul 5, 2002, 15:07 anon@217.84

I dont see a problem with money being spent to make a game, it has many advantages for the army, be it training, recruitment, etc...

What I do have a problem with is the way that money is spent amongst the units in the army.....example.....the unit I am currently in spent $10,000 of your tax payers dollars to buy a 30 inch plasma tv, so that soldiers can watch it on training exercises,which happens about twice a year....what gives!?!?!?

So having said that and witnessed that, I really dont think money spent on game development, is money badly spent.

-inmate

173. Re: Not Only That... Jul 5, 2002, 14:46 anon@24.247

Hey, I represent that. I'm a teenager and have been actively playing video games since Wolfenstein debuted when I was 7. Now granted, plenty of teenagers are mindless sheep who feel "angsty" because their moms won't buy them those $50 bondage pants from Hot Topic, but that doesn't mean we're all like that by any means. But I consider myself to have a strong moral consciousness. I realize what this game is trying to do, and while it may increase my awareness and respect for the Army, it won't convince me to join. I pay taxes and I'm fine that some of it is going toward video game development, thanks to our ballooning defense budget. I don't think this will directly compete with current games or affect the economy. It's like putting bottled water next to a drinking fountain. The masses may run to the fountain and call it good, but those who know what's best will buy the bottle anyway.

169- I don't think they're hoping it will influence people to join the Military in a mind-control way, but more of an "hey, being a soldier is pretty cool" way. Remember, they tried to model the life and environment of a soldier as accurately as possible. Comparing it to Crazy Taxi and Super Smash Bros. isn't fair- those weren't meant to be accurate depictions of the trade. Besides, don't you think there were some people out there who played flight sims that made them want to become pilots? The airline industry just didn't pursue that as a marketing tool.

172. reply to #159 Jul 5, 2002, 14:12 anon@68.98

Hell ya, it's all about the oil. The world will see great repercussions within the next 10 years when the oil supply becomes exhausted. And, of course, the US, consuming over half of all petroleum used the world, is right in the middle of it. We're all screwed. Sure, we could switch to coal, and increase the greenhouse affect tenfold. But on a lighter, more comical note, my brother downloaded and installed Army Ops. He got pissed because the drill instructor kept making him redo the climb down. Seriously, he must have done it 20 times. Then, he asked me to TRY. 2nd time, I did it fine. Oh, yeah, he's in ROTC,(reserver officer training core... or is it corps? oh well) and is going to field training in one week. It just proves how no matter what type of game you play, it's still a GAME. It doesn't give you any REAL SKILLS. And yes, my brother plays CS (bah, game sucks, became old over 2 years ago)
and many other games on a daily basis, which relates to post 145. "But believe me, no matter how good you are at Counterstrike or Q3, it only takes one real bullet or shell or grenade fragment to maim or kill you. So be careful. Think, think, think. War is a means of last resort. "

Amen, Mawwman.

And, Finally- My opinion.

....this GAME is good. For about 10 minutes. I like how you get called for a safety violation if you fire your weapon before the drill instructor finished briefing you on it, but firing in the air is no violation at all. Uh huh. Just wait till those bullets come down. Ouch.

171. No subject Jul 5, 2002, 14:11 anon@4.47

Is there any way at all to find online servers for AA without using GameSpy? GameSpy seems to have become sucky because my pings to every server it lists is 1000+ for every single game I try it on (Half-Life, SoF2, Tribes 2, etc.). Then I go and use the games built-in server browser and server pings are fine. WTF is this, it didn't used to do it. Fricking GameSpy.  

170. Baaaaa Baaaaa Jul 5, 2002, 13:52 anon@68.34

Call me a sheep, but the game is tight!. As for the money issue.... the money spent makeing the game came directly out thier Recrutment budget, so it was money lost one way or the other. I doubt seriously if this game will have the recrutment effect that every one talks about. It's been my experience that people in the low teens don't really care about team work, and unless they want to recrut puddgy 20 somethingers they are s@it out of luck.  

169. Re: No subject Jul 5, 2002, 12:54 anon@216.165

Thinking this will make people interested in being a soldier is equivalent to thinking Crazy Taxi will make people want to be taxi cab drivers and Super Smash Bros. will make people want to be plumbers.  

428 Replies. 22 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo