Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Pepsi unveils blue cola set for August launch (thanks Keith) announces another in the remarkable stream of 'blue' themed products that have come out in the last few years (just as was actually predicted by some marketing-droid in an article posted here several years back). Oh well, I can't really stand Pepsi myself, so I think they "blue" this one. The PepsiCo product that really needs this sort of rethink of its artificial coloration is my favorite of theirs, Mountain Dew, which has enough caffeine and sugar to make any geek happy, but a color that makes it look like a urine sample from someone who lives too close to a nuclear reactor.

Story of the Day: Angry customer creates Home Depot drive thru. Thanks Duck Hunter.
Story of the Day II: 'Bumfights' producer defends his video. Thanks Chris Johnson. Makes one proud to be a human.
Follow-up: Ex-Waitress Settles Toy Yoda Suit. Thanks Travis McPherson.
Image of the Day: Planets Over Stonehenge. Thanks Zdim.
Wild Science: Hey, Who's That Face in My Song. Thanks Ant.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. this is stupid May 18, 2002, 13:40 anon@66.44

ok, pepsi is a copy of coke, surge is a copy of mt. dew which is a copy of mellow yellow, mr. pibb is a copy of dr. pepper, one cherry cola copyed the other (think cherry coke first); so to sum it all up, everything is a copy so get over it  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: bah... May 17, 2002, 18:32 anon@68.80

You fool ... Mello Yello is older than Mountain Dew. It hasn't even been in my neighborhood for over 10 years because it sold so poorly, though.  

37. put it to rest May 17, 2002, 17:50 anon@63.227

ok let's put it to rest. Coke and Pepsi taste nothing alike, and Diet anything sucks. Mountain Dew is the best, Bawls is only popular because of it's name and it claims to have more caffeine, but I think Red Bull kicks my ass more and I can drink a lot more Mountain Dew. Code Red is good, but only once in awhile, it's hard to beat the original. Oh and did I mention that we managed to light Diet-Caffeine Free Mountain Dew on fire? That stuff is volitile, and tastes horrible too.  

36. Re: bah... May 16, 2002, 09:06 anon@12.25

"Surge" and "Mello Yello" are Coca-Cola's blatantly obvious attempts at trying to clone Mountain Dew's color, flavor and ad market.  

35. http://www.coca-karma.com May 15, 2002, 16:36 Perelandra

http://www.coca-karma.com  
---~----~---
Why do I have a recurring dream involving myself, a picture frame factory, five iron, and a very large Baalrog?

That demonic bastard always kicks my ass.

34. Re: Stuff May 14, 2002, 20:03 anon@142.173

If i remember correctly, they made Code Red because statistically black people like red drinks more...  

33. Re: Stuff May 14, 2002, 14:10 anon@129.120

re: #32

YEAH
www.bawls.com

32. Re: Stuff May 13, 2002, 13:11 anon@65.29

drink BAWLS  

31. Re: Stuff May 12, 2002, 14:17 Mashiki Amiketo

Actually yes, a huge diffrence exists with the taste of coke and pepsi. I drink 24 cans in a week of the stuff, I know what coke tastes like(I do prefer glass bottles), and what pepsi tastes like...almost has a bitter taste to it.

The code red mountain dew though, I think I got through one can and was moving onto my second, at that point I got violently ill from it.

So..it's radioactive mountain dew for me!

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

30. Re: Bumfight May 12, 2002, 13:14 Liquid

Chainsaw Wars! Sounds AWSOME!

www.o2tent.com

--
I like the Quake 3 Arena.

29. Re: Stuff May 12, 2002, 05:53 indiv

As for the Code Red... Have you people tried Cherry 7Up? I love that, and while Code Red is pretty similar, I think 7Up is better. Interestingly, perhaps, is that I HATE regular Dew, and don't like regular 7Up either.

Yeah actually the first time I tasted Code Red I thought of Cherry 7-up. Neither drinks are things that I can stand all the time, but every once in a while it's nice to change things up with the "cherry" flavor (which doesn't really taste all that much like cherries to me).

And as for the Vanilla Coke, there's a fast food joint called Sonic in my parts that serves this. A friend of mine used to order it all the time when we went there, so apparently it's pretty good, but since I'm not a big fan of Coke in general I never tried it. You can probably get it at lots of places, but they just don't advertise it on the menu or something. Of course, they're just mixing vanilla flavoring with Coke, instead of it being packaged as one mix, but it should be about the same thing as what they're coming out with in the near future.

28. Re: Code Redeye May 11, 2002, 20:19 BUCKFUTTER

Yeah coke is introducing a vanilla flavored coke. Saw this on MSN money or something. Was pretty interesting. The Pepsi blue they say is like blue berries with a hint of pepsi, while the coke they didnt have much info about.

27. Re: Stuff May 11, 2002, 19:56 JRiordan35

Come on guys, there is hardly any difference between regular coke and regular pepsi - it's almost like comparing two different mineral waters.

You should get your taste buds checked! I can tell Pepsi apart from Coca-Cola even by their smells! Viva Pepsi!!

As for the Code Red... Have you people tried Cherry 7Up? I love that, and while Code Red is pretty similar, I think 7Up is better. Interestingly, perhaps, is that I HATE regular Dew, and don't like regular 7Up either.

And diet pop? Out of the question! Ick! Diet Sprite is possibly the worst tasting thing on Earth.

Aspiring soda critic,
-JR

This comment was edited on May 11, 19:58.

26. Bumfight May 11, 2002, 18:59 Hump

I thought the stunt bum "Rufus" was hilarious but the guy doing the imitation of Discovery Channels' "Crocodile hunter" in which he jumps out of the vehicle and pile-drives sleeping bums was pretty low-rent.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

25. Star Wars: Ep 2 May 11, 2002, 18:56 anon@212.76

See this movie!!!! This evening I saw the alleged first public showing in the world in Warsaw, Poland and was quite pleasantly surprised! It blows away Ep 1 by leaps and bounds! There are a couple complaints I have albeit it minor, but I don't want to spoil it here.

- renewed Star Wars fan...

24. Re: Stuff May 11, 2002, 18:37 Bronco

Diet drinks never taste "quite right" to me

I wish I could drink them. My brain seems to have a real problem with Nutrasweet. I get mind numbing, crushing migraine headaches from it. Of course that stuff is in every diet softdrink now. I'd love to get away from all the sugar they put in soda.

Snappy2Stroke

-- Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice that was strong and loud.
We'll miss him.

-TPFKAS2S

23. Re: Mountain Dew May 11, 2002, 18:29 anon@12.228

I got some urine, you got some urine, we all got some urine!...let's drink some URINE!  

22. clear May 11, 2002, 17:27 anon@216.104

clear pepsi was thier best product.. as was the "new" coke that failed... i think they shitcan the good newer products too fast and keep the (ahem code red crap) bad products on...sucks  

21. Re: Stuff May 11, 2002, 17:09 Cochonou

Come on guys, there is hardly any difference between regular coke and regular pepsi - it's almost like comparing two different mineral waters.

Personnaly, I drink coke over pepsi, because I can't really stand someone to tell me 10 times a day that I should "think different"

20. Stuff May 11, 2002, 16:42 indiv

Mountain Dew -- Love the tase, love the color.
Code red -- Like the taste, enjoy the color.
Tap water -- Mmmm.. chunky style.

Diet drinks never taste "quite right" to me, although once there was a vending machine that I always went to that was always out of everything except Diet Coke, so I drank that every day just out of a lack of selection. I guess it's not so bad once you get used to it, but you can say that about a lot of unpleasant things.

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo