Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM III Announced

id Software Partners With Activision on DOOM III is the press release announcing both the official title for id's new first-person shooter that went by the "new DOOM game" label since it was first unveiled nearly two years ago (story), and a renewal of their co-operation with Activision to publish and distribute the game. As always, a projected release date is not listed, but the game will be shown at E3 later this month. Here is an excerpt:

SANTA MONICA, Calif., May 3 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- id Software(TM) and Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI - news) announced today that Activision will be the worldwide licensed distributor for DOOM III(TM), the latest installment in one of the most successful franchises in PC gaming history. Built on id's revolutionary new 3D graphics engine, DOOM III draws players into the most frightening and gripping 3D gaming experience ever created. DOOM III is currently in development for the PC by id Software and will debut at this year's Electronic Entertainment Expo in Activision's booth #1224 in the South Hall.

"DOOM III will change what people expect to see and experience in a PC game," said Todd Hollenshead, CEO, id Software. "We couldn't be more psyched about DOOM III, and are thrilled to debut the title at E3 with Activision. Get ready to be terrified."

"We are excited to continue our successful and long-standing relationship with id," said Larry Goldberg, executive vice president, Activision Worldwide Studios. "I'm sure that id fans and action gamers alike share our anticipation for the latest incarnation of DOOM, which is one of the most important franchises in PC gaming history. There is no doubt that DOOM III will be at the top of every gamer's most wanted list."

View
207 Replies. 11 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

127. Re: DOOM III May 6, 2002, 13:36 anon@129.3

so basically you think their games started to suck because the weapons aren't good? there's something wrong with that. you didn't even mention that the games were *fun*. the thing about games is that they're all different. i wouldn't want the shotgun in half-life to be the same as the one in Quake. and Quake 3 laggy? i've had plenty of great game experiences in q3, as i'm sure many other people have. maybe you should get a better internet connection.

and the "funny toys" for guns in quake3? id software purposely wasn't going for realism. how many plasma guns have you come across in your lifetime anyway? they were going for insane arcade-like experience. to put the game down based on their design decision to fit with the goal of the game is just missing the point.

as far as multiplayer in doom3. i'm not sure if anyone official has said it.. but how do you think they can handle all of their real time lighting and any other data they have to send over the shitty internet? if they do announce that they aren't making multiplayer and you say the game sucks because of it, then you're again going to miss the point of what they're trying to accomplish with this game.

if there is one thing i know about games, it's that the guns and whether multiplayer is going to be in a single player game shouldn't make such a difference in how good the game is, because there's so many other factors to think about.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

126. DOOM III May 6, 2002, 12:21 =HELLION=

doom1 was by far the best single player action packed game, but multiplayer was a pain in the ass to get set up to play, now that shouldnt be a problem . you would think that anyways...
i think id has gone down hill sence doom .. i dont understand how each game they have released has progressively goten worse ... quake 1 was ok but had some issues like the guns and such... ex grenades are heavy so they come out appoximately 2 feet land in front of you and do more damage to you then anything else.hell the damn hand grenades went farther ... not far enuff but still farther then a gun ??? i mean comon ! and the shotguns ha ! wtf its more of a mist then buckshot.. i know buckshot doesnt travel far but DAMN! comon it has a little more power then that and the other guns hmm well still nothing compared to the standards of doom(and doom2)
quake2 was fair and offerd some good parts yet still lacked in the gun depo and multiplayer was a step up but still not to good... predictable at least.. guns again not all that it could be ,, look at half life ... there shotgun didnt suck ass ..
then comes quake 3,, with its good grafix... i say that because thats all it came with ... the guns are... nothin differnt at all and worse even the bfg ? its a damn plasma rifle ... wtf is up with that ? and the other guns .. week as hell and they dont even look like guns there like funny toys.. the plasma rifle looked like a toaster to me and none of the guns were ballanced just got 1 shitty gun after the other ?? multiplayer HAA ! thats pathetic it lags more then it runs .. soon as somebody joins kiss your ass goodby cuz your frose and then when your out of your freeze the last 30 seconds goes by you .. not to mention the whole feal of quake is removed and the only thing that is anything like is ... is the name

i just hope the dont screw up enuff in doom ... the whole reason ppl want to play it is because its... DOOM not quake3.5 or something that use to be but is no more , i want to see imps and demons... and gore and mainly EVIL thats what doom was about the evil enviroment ... and fear and blasting them back to hell .and striveing to find a better weapon to make it all easyer(i say this as per the evil grin on the doom guys face when you picked up a new weapon)... i hope the can preserve that feeling for doom3
and bring back what made all this what it is now..

and whoever said doom3 wasnt going to have multi player ??? whoever said it didnt listen to what they said.... all they said was there consentrating on single player more then anything ,,, they didnt say were only makeing it single player ... there consentrating on single player because they know thats how they did it back when doom1 was made so there tring to make it a good game vs q3 with no single player and bad ai..
we all know that doom3 will have multiplayer because thats what has kept it alive so long... just look at Http://www.newdoom.com jdoom has totaly spruced up doom and heretic/hexen and i still play it because its a good game not because it looks good(altho they made it look good)
id say look at doomlegacy too but they never work on it anymore and jdoom right now looks better and still had updates from time to time as where as doomlegacy updates there page about there personal lives more then updates as far as legacy...

doom 3 will be good or bad... but at least it will come out... look at 3drealms they cant produce shit... except bringing back old ass plaied out side scrollers lol wtf does anybody want that shit ...and dnf thats been in the works longer then anybody wants to wait for a game ... and we all know its going to come out not be worth the 6 damn years that they wasted on it... i just hope it doesnt end up in the prey bin and be canceled... i think they could at least put out a new screen shot that way we know there even comeing to work in the morning ...

oh well nobody read all the way down here anyway

This comment was edited on May 6, 12:57.

--- When you hear the roar of the lion you know your too close ---

125. Re:wolf3d first fps? HAHAHAHA May 6, 2002, 07:50 Anvil

Neither hovertank nor catacomb 3d were First Person Shooters. They were (sort of) 3d ish games. AFAIK wolf3d was the first FPS - though a link to that fondly remembered MAC shooter might convince me otherwise.

<obligatory remark>
of course looking glass's underworld was around in 1991 and was the first true 3d world
</obligatory remark>

Anvil

Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

124. Re: DooM HAD A STORY, and a good one at May 6, 2002, 06:53 anon@159.134

I remember playing a maze-based 3D multiplayer LAN FPS on the Mac network at college in the late 80's, so no way was Wolf the first.  

123. Re: DooM HAD A STORY, and a good one at that May 6, 2002, 01:01 anon@202.138

#119, Nerve, not Raven.  

122. Re:wolf3d first fps? HAHAHAHA May 5, 2002, 23:57 anon@12.222

Whoever said that is a moron..

http://www.idsoftware.com/games/vintage/hovertank/
http://www.idsoftware.com/games/vintage/catacomb/

Though I'm not quite certain hovertank is the first one like Id says.. I can't disprove it though.
I'm not sure how do to urls on Blues' board, so you'll have to put up with cut and paste.

121. No subject May 5, 2002, 22:12 teh mane mahn

"(apologies if I spoiled anyone's Half-Life gaming experience)"

Not like anyone would want to contunue playing when they reach the alien world anyway.

-----

Only a fool wants to hear the echo of his own voice.

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.

120. Re: DooM HAD A STORY, and a good one at that May 5, 2002, 22:05 anon@66.122

yeah, sorry i didn't state that quite clearly. I meant mother spider for DooM. The big mechanical brain spider was the boss. But yea, Half-Life's was the big Nilinanth er whatever, huge baby.

And I do believe someone at id maybe carmack said that the story board for the new DooM III is already done. And they said that this is the first time they have ever actually had a story board for one of their games.

119. Re: DooM HAD A STORY, and a good one at that May 5, 2002, 21:55 Jennerstein

It wasn't a mother spider. It was a Big Baby.

(apologies if I spoiled anyone's Half-Life gaming experience)

Maybe anon never quite finished the game.

118. No subject May 5, 2002, 21:44 teh mane mahn

"Expressions used to determine one having the absence of is not of the privilege of sound judgment, but instead is the privilege of the absence of."

-----

Only a fool wants to hear the echo of his own voice.

_____

The possible pain, suffering and sacrifice of discovery are by no means an excuse to remain ignorant.

The bartering of things sought earned are by a means which only little men can abide by and hope to achieve.

117. oh man May 5, 2002, 21:36 anon@24.208

you all need to get a life  

116. Re: DooM HAD A STORY, and a good one at that May 5, 2002, 21:19 Xombie

Most likely they didn't ever actually buy the game, and only played the shareware version, which had few (if any) story parts to it.

The reason why the gameplay itself was lacking (and lacking in Wolf 3D) was because it was the style of the time. Although proven by both Quake and Daikatana, the gameplay would have continued to be simplistic had John Romero stayed at id.
id's staff is currently NOT the same ones that worked on Wolf, Quake, or Doom. Most of those people have likely moved on by now. id does this thing called "hiring" (gasp!) and they do it to "new people" on a regular basis (double gasp!)

To my knowledge, no one has ever been assigned to "story" on any id single player game yet. Nor "writing" or anything of the sort. With games NOW, though, such a thing is an absolute necessity. Just as Level Design wasn't a word when Doom was made.

id has before set more precedents, and had fewer to follow. Now they are on the heels of Half Life. After Half Life, no one expected an action game with anything less than an extensive story, played out in the game before the player's eyes. id's last single player game came out in late 1997, before Half Life. (apologies for the previous typo, I meant to say "half a decade", not "a decade")

And no, RtCW was, again, NOT made by id, it was made by Gray Matter and Raven.

I'm holding my judgement until I see who is announced as the writer.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

115. Re: Computer Requirements May 5, 2002, 21:01 anon@203.96

Nahh...try a 286 with a Math Coprocessor! And 2mb ram, and make sure you know how to configure Expanded Memory. Doom3 will need that to run.

And A CGA monitor. With a floppy drive. Doom3 comes on 3 5.25" diskettes last I heard :-)

Wohhoo! Now I can stop playing Elite Plus. That game sucks.

114. Re: heh May 5, 2002, 20:58 Xombie

Exactally what are you comparing Wolf 3D to? It was the first first-person shooter made.

This comment was edited on May 5, 21:20.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

113. Re: Computer Requirements May 5, 2002, 19:55 anon@203.96

...will it need a maths co-pro or will s/w emulation be ok?

damn, I'll have to edit my autoexec and config to squeeze these huge network card drivers into upper memory so I have enough conventional memory to run this thing - and I hope I can run it from the floppy drive because my 20meg drive is full too.

ahh the good old days

// Beacon

112. Re: Computer Requirements May 5, 2002, 19:16 anon@67.250

GibEater:

Funny!

111. Re: Computer Requirements May 5, 2002, 19:06 RoughKnt

I remember reading this a while ago so I don't know if it's changed since then but...
Carmack said it's supposed to run on a standard GF3 with full details at 30fps. The machine details i'm not sure about but you wouldn't want anything under 1GHz i'm sure.

AND that wasn't just any old bunny head on a stick, that was his pet bunny that got abducted and made the doom guy so pissed. All part of an exciting and suspensful STORY LINE that i'm sure will continue in doom3. Bring it on!

110. Re: Computer Requirements May 5, 2002, 19:02 Gibbed

A 386 with a video card should do it.

8MB of ram couldn't hurt either.

109. Computer Requirements May 5, 2002, 17:15 anon@63.16

Anyone know what hardware will be required to run Doom III properly? Pentium 3, 4? Geforce 2, 3, 4?  

108. Re: Thats great but will it suck like RTCW? May 5, 2002, 17:00 anon@129.130

RTCW Didn't suck, but you sure do. You probably don't like FPS games cause you have no skill. Come get a smack down.
RichardVanHoff

207 Replies. 11 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo