Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

One of our neighbors is a lovely older fellow who spends seemingly endless hours cultivating his garden, which also serves as a half-way house for plants that need homes. This is actually quite admirable, but also strange... he keeps asking us if we want the oddest sorts of plants: mimosa trees are a good example -- we have two of these monsters already, and the way they propagate, you need to constantly pull up saplings or you'll be owner of a mimosa plantation, but he still offers us the babies he's pulled up from his own yard. The one that finally pushed me over the edge was him asking if we wanted a couple of small maple trees he'd uprooted. I had to point out to him the way to get a maple to grow where you want it is to not pull it up when one inevitably started growing there. He agreed, but I'm still not sure he gets the point... I keep expecting him to offer us some dandelions.

Play Time: Makai Media Spear Toss (Flash required). Thanks Frottage and Gemini.
Story of the Day: Girls made to show underwear at school dance. Thanks R0n1n.
Wild Science: Hubble's stunning new vision. Thanks Snappy2Stroke.
Auction of the Day: Gamers Dream! Atari 2600 Zemmix Sega Ton More. Thanks Fantaz.
Follow-up: 'Three strikes' reform. The outcome of the "Eddie Murphy jailbreak." Thanks Bruce Sale.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: I WENT TO THAT HIGH SCHOOL! May 2, 2002, 17:01 Mekpusa

i go to a high school in the same district (poway hs class of '02...biatch) and let me just say taht the dress code is a complete load of arbitrarily-enforced CRAP. a good friend of mine wears his jeans down below his freakin ASS and shows like 3 inches of underwear...and gets away with it. and then here comes this crazy authoritative hosebeast. she even busted my friend's girlfriend for FIXING her bra and exposing her midriff. what can i say...im glad im graduating in a month and a half.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. I WENT TO THAT HIGH SCHOOL! May 2, 2002, 03:52 Dclaw

Dude, that is so frickin funny... I went to that high school... graduated class of 2000... I still live a mile away from it. And ya know what... rita wilson is a umm, not nice lady and paul gentle's daughter is one of the biggest drug dealers at the school, hehe. It's really very sad to see this.

Dclaw

The Death Claw

Dclaw

21. Re: Three Strikes Reform May 1, 2002, 20:11 WarPig

Almost as stupid as possessing drugs or stealing a TV when you could get 25 to life for doing it.

Freakin' exactly! This kind of shit always reminds me of the story about the guy demonstrating against a train carrying nuclear weapons by laying down on the railroad tracks. The train couldn't stop and his legs were chopped off (which of course he sued over). The moral of the story being - "if you don't want your legs amputated by a train, don't lay on the f*cking tracks!"

GO SEAHAWKS!

20. Re: No subject May 1, 2002, 19:31 Mashiki Amiketo

There was a case up in canuck land not too long ago while where a bunch of students were forced-stripped to see if any money was stolen from a student. If I remeber that case quietly disapeared...but I do agree with you. It does seem that your rights are getting the "super flush".  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

19. Re: No subject May 1, 2002, 19:04 anon@66.140

I thought after I turned 21 i wouldn't care any more, but at 25 I am more sickened than ever by how minors are treated in this country. There is no excuse for treating high school students as if they were second class citizens or pieces of property. It's bad enough that we will force 18 year old conscripts to die for their country should Bushy start WW3, while throwing a fit if they go to college and drink beer. But our school system treates each and every teen as if they were criminals doing hard time in the federal pen. My father, a retired police sargent, is fond of saying that the legislature has made it illegal to be a teenager in Texas. It won't be long before I have children of my own and it makes me sick to think how this society is going to treat them.  

18. Re: No subject May 1, 2002, 18:48 anon@24.185

I wish I could have been there. MMMM.  

17. Re: No subject May 1, 2002, 17:00 Hump

Nobody's even going to mention the panties?

umm sure, I'll comment

absolutely brilliant move. wish I wouldve thought of it myself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

16. Re: No subject May 1, 2002, 16:59 fractalgp

well, as you brought it up (hehe):

What does this mean (taken from that school's Dress Code):

Clothing that violates these standards are: 2. Undergarments, or clothing that reveals undergarments (boxers, tank top undershirts, underwear, etc).

My English vocabulary and knowledge is probably a bit limited, but I interpret that sentence to this: undergarments (aka underwear) are prohibited. wtf?

Regardless, I'm glad my college don't have dress codes.. mmmmmmmm

fractalgp | http://home.no.net/igi2/ |

fractalgp | http://www.covertstrike.net/ |

15. No subject May 1, 2002, 16:13 anon@207.136

Nobody's even going to mention the panties?  

14. Re: Neighbors... May 1, 2002, 15:58 anon@216.73

Yes, if he is like you unibomber you should do everything you can to irrate him, that I believe is the best idea.  

13. Re: Neighbors... May 1, 2002, 15:55 Bronco

Be an ass and report him to you hoa. You can't have an ugly yard, or a boat in your driveway or cars infront of your house in my hood.....

Two problems with that:

1. No HOA (thank god). Nothing against those that love HOA but they are not for me.

2. If we did have one He could probably argue that he spends more time on maintaining lawn than anyone else in North America. I think he may have OCD. He's creepy like the Unabomber.

Snappy2Stroke

-- Standing above the crowd,
He had a voice that was strong and loud.
We'll miss him.

-TPFKAS2S

12. Re: Gamers Dream May 1, 2002, 14:49 anon@150.250

Re to No. 4:

I had forgotten about Racing Destruciton Set! That game was great! My friends and I spent so many hours with that, it brings back some nice memories.

11. Re: Neighbors... May 1, 2002, 14:33 tempus

Hey
Snappy,
Be an ass and report him to you hoa. You can't have an ugly yard, or a boat in your driveway or cars infront of your house in my hood.....

http://www.excelbydesign.net/tempus

http://www.excelbydesign.net/tempus

Point winamp to http://tempustemper.no-ip.org:8000
or don't....

10. Re: Three Strikes Reform May 1, 2002, 13:20 anon@64.171

Almost as stupid as possessing drugs or stealing a TV when you could get 25 to life for doing it.  

9. Re: Three Strikes Reform May 1, 2002, 13:09 anon@206.225

I didn't get that impression from the article at all. I got the impression that maybe it's a bad idea for nonviolent criminals (burglars, drug offenders) to be locked up for 25-to-life for stupid things like drug posession and stealing a TV.

America has always been great at putting out the wrong fires. I love this country!

--
American Citizen #576488012

8. Re: Neighbors... May 1, 2002, 13:01 c r i s p y

Levelord:

If they happen to die, and shrivel up and dry out, can I keep 'em?

=©=

---
Chris.

7. Re: Gamers Dream May 1, 2002, 12:15 anon@208.1

Yeah, and no Kolibri either! How could he call that a collection without including what could be argued as the finest hummingbird based shooter available for the 32X?  

6. No subject May 1, 2002, 12:08 Hump

Rent out a Rotweiller and be done with him

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

5. Three Strikes Reform May 1, 2002, 11:29 Sasquach

That's a good idea the article raises......it really is too expensive to house violent criminals, we should just let them run free.......

--------------------------------------------------
Kiss my shiny metal ass

4. Re: Gamers Dream May 1, 2002, 10:25 anon@208.35

All that, and no Halley Project? No Castles of Dr. Creep? No M.U.L.E.? No Mail Order Monsters? No Racing Destruction Set?

BAH.

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo