Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Grand Theft Auto III Q&As

GameSpot's Grand Theft Auto III Q&A is online chatting with Dan Houser and Leslie Benzies of Rockstar Games about plans to bring the crime-filled hit PS2 game "back to its PC roots" as well as its "mature" themes, what's being improved to take advantage of PC hardware, the game's lack of multiplayer support, controller support, and more. Meanwhile, there is also a Grand Theft Auto III Q&A on GameSpy.com also talking with Leslie Benzies, also discussing PC improvements, controls, and multiplayer, as well as inquiring about the game's system requirements. If that's not enough for someone, almost unbelievably, there's also a Grand Theft Auto III Q&A on PC.IGN.Com talking with (brace yourself) Dan Houser and Leslie Benzies, covering the exact same topics once more, while also asking about support for creating your own custom radio stations using your own MP3s and their projected release date. Each article is accompanied by its own pair of new screenshots, though the links to the full sized shots on IGN are broken as of now.

View
111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

11. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2002, 13:24 anon@217.41

#9 So you don't agree with what I said in #7 then?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2002, 13:22 anon@65.33

i agree, release GTA3 with even a basic DM mode, so long as the game is moddable, the community would likely come up with some nice and fun multiplayer ideas. It is pretty lame nowadays it seems to have a PC game with no multiplayer, as it severely limits replayability IMO.  

9. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2002, 13:18 anon@12.245

Rockstar had the opportunity here to release what could have been one of the greatest online multiplayer games ever released, and they flat out blew it. I agree that their explanation is an excuse. It sounds more like they were unable to pull it off. Although I'm not intimately familiar with the Renderware platform that they coded the game on, I do know that it takes care of much of the lower level programming. Perhaps integrating multiplayer was a greater task than Rockstar was capable of

If that's the case, it still would have been worth it to them economically to have either hired extra talent, or contracted the MP code out to another house. It's a good bet that this game could have had the online numbers that counter-strike has. We the use of cd-keys, ppl would have actually had to pay for this game instead of trading warez for it. They had to know this.

And you don't need some fancy multiplayer mod like ctf or cops vs robbers to make the game fun. Multiplayer for GTA 1 and 2 was a blast, and those games were a mere shadow of what GTA III is. Words cannot express my disappointment. My clan had plans for this game online. Rockstar could have been the next id. Too bad.

8. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2002, 12:50 Hump

sorry I dont see your side of it. If you gave the community a poll and asked them whether they would go for No multiplayer at all or a simple deathmatch aspect what do you think would be the result? No, not every game HAS to have a multiplayer portion to it but this is GTA3...a huge city...vehicles, cops, hookers....! Games with NO multiplay leave me feeling that I didn't get my moneys worth. Sorry if I sound too demanding but if I have to part with $50 I'd like to get more mileage than a week or two of gameplay. (How long did everyone play Max Payne after they finished it?) On the other hand, epic stories like Baldurs Gate etc are fine as single player experiences.

This "we feel we couldnt do the game justice etc etc" Justice to what??!! shooting people?? running them over? How hard is that to implement?

At the very least add support for internet play and let the community have a crack at it by releasing some plug-ins etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

7. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2002, 12:35 anon@217.41

Hump,

Like Cadaver points out, what’s said about the MP needing to being 'revolutionary' sounds less like excuses and more like Rockstar pimping their next GTA game, rumoured to be MMO.

6. No subject Apr 22, 2002, 12:22 anon@141.219

some of the ideas that I had for mp were

cops and robbers

CTC - capture the car

Read through some of the interviews, all of the reasons that they gave about not having MP seamed like horshit to me. At least release the tools so that the community can make the mods.

Also I remember hearing about a addon or something. Maybe this might have MP, pretty much a cash cow for rockstart then.

5. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2002, 11:18 anon@207.73

> how would GTA MP work

Anybody here remember the old BBS door game "PimpWars"?

So perfectly suited to GTA3. I can only hope that the multiplayer is released in a patch, cause if nobody else makes this mod I'll do it myself.

4. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2002, 11:15 Cadaver

It's not such a bullshit excuse. Building multiplayer functionality into a single-player game takes time, it's not like they can just plop a couple of maps in there, they have to build the networking infrastructure from the ground up.

Whilst I'd hoped for multiplayer support as much as anyone, if you gave me the choice between having GTA3 next month, or having to wait for another 6 months for a half-arsed DM mode, I'll take the former. I'm sure the majority of PS2-less PC fans would agree.

From the sounds of it, Rockstar have plans for a multiplayer-only GTA - perhaps some kind of massively-multiplayer thing, with a permanent city-scape in which players interact? Has to be a step up from the MP of GTA 1/2, which were fun for a quick blast, but hell to set up. I'm quite happy to wait for GTA MP if it's something innovative and expansive - I can't see myself paying for a DM/Cannonball Run add-on though, so I hope Rockstar have something special in mind.

3. Re: No subject Apr 22, 2002, 11:09 Schnapple

Probably because while no multiplayer docks them some points on reviews, a shitty multiplayer option costs them more. A shitty out of the box multiplayer option does nothing for them but a shitty multiplayer option as a free download is easier to not support (which they would have to do if it came in the box).

Really though, why must every game have a multiplayer option? I mean, all people would do is play GTA3 CTF, what's the point? I mean how would GTA MP work, cops vs. criminals? (Actually that's not a horrible idea - off to work on that mod for game X)

Schnapple

http://members.tripod.com/schnapple99/

Schnapple

http://www.schnapple.com/

2. GTA3 on PC destroys PS2 Apr 22, 2002, 10:12 anon@148.197

The graphics are at least 10 times better on PC than PS2.  

1. No subject Apr 22, 2002, 10:05 Hump

From the Q&A:

To do justice to the key concepts of GTA, non- linearity, seamless moving between the action, attitude and complete immersion into a funny game world, we have to do something more than just death match, and to do that will take a lot of time. We have always had the attitude with GTA that any new version must have significant advances on its predecessors and if a new feature is added, it must be as good and complete as everything else in the game."

I try not to be a complainer but their excuse for no multiplayer is pure bullshit. They know the game will sell huge numbers with or without online support so why not save a bundle and say the hell with MP.

Why does it HAVE to be revolutionary? Whats the problem with just running around and killing each other like any other godamned shooter? HELLO?

C'mon guys....just fess up and say what it REALLY is....economics. Why put something in that will sell the same numbers anyway?

This comment was edited on Apr 22, 10:06.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

111 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo