Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Global Operations MP Beta

As promised, the multiplayer beta of Global Operations has now been released for download from FilePlanet (registration required), allowing you try out the team-based tactical shooter by Barking Dog that went gold earlier today. The beta weighs in at an average (these days) 96.6 MB and contains the Quebec map, playable through the in-game browser and GameSpy Arcade. Update: There are mirrors on Shacknews (registration required), 3D Gamers, AusGamers (Australia), GameArena (Australia), Tiscali Games (Czech Rep.), NGI (Italy), Fragland.net (Belgium) and BonusWeb (Czech Rep.).

View
142 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

122. wow Mar 12, 2002, 23:26 anon@63.231

This is game of the year imo.

Incredible level design and very intense weapons. Runs amazing on my Geforce4 and there is very little lag.

IMO ill buy this the second it hits the stores!

Cant wait!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

121. Re: No subject Mar 12, 2002, 19:53 anon@24.126

Ok tis game has both bad and good parts to it

Good Parts

1) Gas Gernade effects on a player are pretty interesting and fun to toy with.

2) When Explosions go off near you your ears ring ingame I havn't seen that in games yet.

3) Weapon upgrades (sorta).

4) You can respawn.

5) If you are hurt and it takes a while for a medic to heal you you cannot heal back to full health. Since these are only field medics and not hostpital doctors with all the equipment. Very realistic.

Bad parts

1) I havn't found many laggy games but when it does lag it lags like hell.

2) All the games are like password locked or full

3) Sometimes (only happend to me once) I threw a Gas Gernade with a Gas Mask on and yet I still got dizzy. Just one of the annoying bugs (Game crash and cannot restart GO and you have to restart comp to restart GO). This games gonna be released soon and I think unless they work their ass really hard on this one the final game is gonna be worse already than it is.

4) Weapon damages are almost the same (I was a sniper and I bought the best sniper rifle and it did as much damage as the cheapest one)

5) Graphics Crappy

6) Can get laggy hardware wise meaning slower frames even with the settings turned down. I found that it lags like just the same with everything exept the resolution cranked up.

7) Even with its realistic features they chose not to do realistic damage. At least make the more costly weapons more effective.

8) The deafault setting for FF should be off. Ive had people kill me and take my gun (which was a LAW. A rocket launcher). People forget to turn it off sometimes.

9) Lack of non dedicated server (ok even if you do run a dedicated server you cant start GO because you can only run one GO program at a time. I did that with MOHAA)

So this game has its good parts and its bad parts. Its really kinda sad that this game introduced many new features such as not being able to heal all the way (realism) and weapon upgrades and such.

120. Re: No subject Mar 12, 2002, 18:21 anon@209.83

THIS WAS MORE ENTERTAINING THAT GLOBAL OPS!

http://home.kimo.com.tw/netspooky/kikia/

119. Re: No subject Mar 12, 2002, 15:56 anon@209.167

you're the one short 60 bucks paying for something that's completely worthless to most people.  

118. Re: my oh my Mar 12, 2002, 14:28 Xombie

I disagree. The G11 is lighter than either, and more accurate. More info: http://www.hkpro.com/g11.htm
Although I'll admit my favorite gun is the USP Match

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 14:31.

Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

117. Re: Global Ops Mar 12, 2002, 14:27 Xombie

It's not the game that does it, it's the map. Rommel is wacky and will stress any system like hell.

116. Re: This game be dumb...cuz. Mar 12, 2002, 13:44 anon@207.217

"Only CS can have a game with the MP5 and Desert Eagle in it cuz it's the best. " ~113

Rainbow Six / Rogue Spear had MP5's and Desert Eagles long before CS ripped them off.

115. Objectively Mar 12, 2002, 12:55 anon@209.83

Here's an objective simple to read review. SOme fact some opinion.

Things I don't like:

The lag
The graphics
The interface
The full/passworded servers
The weapons
The way it forgets all my settings
The game speed
The stupid walking sounds
The stupid recoil
The character animations

Things I like:
Umm.. I guess the map layout and gun sounds are ok.

There, that's my review.

114. Great Game Mar 12, 2002, 12:31 anon@24.196

Don't listen to any of these posts....this game is frickin amazing, I have played cs since is came out as a beta mod and didn't think i would ever like a game like it again but this game blows my socks off..the gun sounds are amazing, you can actually tell what an ak sounds like, the graphics are good although I don't like lithtechs engine compared to q3 but it is definitely up to par and the gameplay itself blows cs out of the water on two accounts; strategy and selection - so if anyone is bitching it is because their computer sucks, their connection sucks or they suck GREAT JOB CRAVE and BARKING DOG  

113. This game be dumb...cuz. Mar 12, 2002, 00:37 anon@24.31

Anyone notice how f'n stupid the teeny trolls are on this board? A summary:

There is no way to buy weapons in this game. I ran around for 10 hours with the knife trying to kill people. I kept getting shot. Somehow other people bought guns. Geeee..... (scratches nuts).

I am the best CS player ever (which is the best game for ever and ever). So when I shot a guy three times in this game and he didn't die I knew this game sucked.

This game is totally blocky on my 733t Voodoo2 eMAchines. And talk about lag, shit I know fer sure that I'm gettin the full 56k when I dial in.

All the weapons are so unrealistic! Compared to WW2 online, this game sucks. I mean one key to reload.....come on! And believe me I'm in the Aryan Nations so I know my weapons!

Uh I keep getting smoked by the G36 so it must not be realistic cuz I'm dee best CS player ever.

Recoil in this game sucks cuz I can't shoot people. I know I'm right cuz I dee best CS player ever. If you don't believe me I'll challenge you to a one on one!!!!! (homo)

Uh this game sucks cuz CS is the best and I'm too scared to play a new game cuz I got down my patterns on Dust and Cobble to a tee.

Uh all this stuff in the game is stupid cuz it's confusing. HB monitors, different classes, two zoom levels on scopes, scope and ammo upgrades on weapons, a medic (duh how fake), poison gas (really sucks cuz I can't see straight). 32 weapons? Why can't they just put the AWP, Desert Eagle and Colt in the game to make it easy. Jeeezus I'm only 12 and all this stuff makes my head spin.

Uh anything with real guns in it, or terrorists, is just a CS ripoff. Only CS can have a game with the MP5 and Desert Eagle in it cuz it's the best.

Uhhh GO sucks...uhh because.

Yeah this game sucks so much that all of the non-passworded servers are constantly full.

112. Re: my oh my Mar 11, 2002, 23:57 anon@63.105

G11 is the ultimate weapon? Ever hear of the OICW? Mmm... OICW... actually, the ultimate weapon is the gattling gun on the A10. OH BABY!

G11 is too expensive to use anyway. Give me an M4 w/ scope or an MP5 10mm =)

111. Global Ops Mar 11, 2002, 23:55 anon@63.105

Only problem with Urban Terror is the lack of guns and the shitty frames. I have an Athlon 1700+ w/ 512MB DDR and a GF3, but on some maps (namely Rommel) my frames still drop down to 15. They never get below 30 in RtCW, and that's with the flamethrowers and the airstrikes! Urban Terror needs to fix the issues they have with their models and maps. It's just too much for the engine. they also need objectives... although for straight 1 on 1, Urban Terror is hands down the best.  

110. Re: Reply to #94 Mar 11, 2002, 23:01 +Lazarus+

You ever played Urban Terror? Sorry man, I've played them ALL, and Urban Terror is hands down the best - it sure blows Global Ops out of the water...  
+Lazarus+

109. Re: my oh my Mar 11, 2002, 22:33 Xombie

63.105, I DO know about guns. I study them. It's my HOBBY. I don't care WHAT reasons they did it for. Please re-read my post. If they're going to tote the game as "most realistic", they should at least make it AT ALL realistic.
The G11 IS the ultimate weapon. It's lighter, faster, more powerful. They shouldn't have even put the damn thing in the game, if they were going to worry about balance. Then there's also the unrealistic damage (a kill with a knife against a guy with a submachine gun?)
If you have fun with the game, go ahead. Play it. Don't let me ruin it for you. But the fact remains that it really doesn't deliver on its "realism" claims.

And for the LAST time. I DON'T PLAY CS. As I already said, CS sucks in my opinion. You're preaching to the choir.

108. This ain't BETA!!!!!!!!! Mar 11, 2002, 20:53 anon@24.157

We went through this with MOHAA and AVP2 (both demos of which I liked and both had the same problems as the finished product and were patched later) and now GO (which I didn't like)and a lot of your people just don't catch on. This is it folks, this ain't Beta, the game has gone gold! Just like the previous 2 had gone gold when they released a supposive "Beta Demo". Imagine the producers of a finished product sitting around, wondering how to attract more customers. I got it! Lets release a buggy demo!!!!!! We've got a finished product but NO!!!! Lets give them the crappy stuff to try first. If I hear one more idiot try to explain this off as being a Beta release I'm gonna come to your house, rip out your tongue and sew it on your cheek!  

107. Re: my oh my Mar 11, 2002, 19:08 anon@63.105

Yes, and you know about guns.

Who cares about the G11? It's a cool gun. They probably toned it down to 45 rnds because 90 made it too good of a weapon. And who cares that it's never been in combat? It looks cool and it's kind of a neat thing to have around.

Oh yeah, CS has great weapons. Talk about modern warfare with shitty, old sniper rifles. Have they ever heard of the PSG-1? And what about the UMP45? This critically acclaimed SMG that's supposed to replace the MP5 isn't worth the ground you walk on in CS. Lame if you ask me.

THERE IS NO BURST MODE FOR ANY GUN IN CS EXCEPT THE GLOCK! Use your brain, dumbass.

106. Re: my oh my Mar 11, 2002, 19:08 anon@63.105

Yes, and you know about guns.

Who cares about the G11? It's a cool gun. They probably toned it down to 45 rnds because 90 made it too good of a weapon. And who cares that it's never been in combat? It looks cool and it's kind of a neat thing to have around.

Oh yeah, CS has great weapons. Talk about modern warfare with shitty, old sniper rifles. Have they ever heard of the PSG-1? And what about the UMP45? This critically acclaimed SMG that's supposed to replace the MP5 isn't worth the ground you walk on in CS. Lame if you ask me.

THERE IS NO BURST MOFE FOR ANY GUN IN CS EXCEPT THE GLOCK! Use your brain, dumbass.

105. Re: my oh my Mar 11, 2002, 14:11 Xombie

My problem with GO is not the level of enjoyment. Despite that I personally don't like the gameplay, it's still my opinion.
The problem with GO is that they claimed and marketed that there would be realism. That the weapons were thoroughly studied and created accurately. But they weren't. They in fact went above and beyond the regular "silly mistakes" and made blatent errors, and pure fiction.

104. my oh my Mar 11, 2002, 11:52 Hump

...the bitterness is palpable here.

the realism vs not crowd, the CS vs DoD vs Go vs etc are all here in full force. All arguing with the fervor that used to be reserved for the Nvidia vs 3DFX (or Nintendo vs "the world") threads.

Try looking at it for what it is: a BETA of a gametype made popular by such titles as Counter-Strike and Rainbow Six....the tactical combat simulation. They put in lots of weapons, added classes and some neato extras that they thought would make the game more fun to play...remeber that word...fun?

Is the game a shining highly polished piece of work?...no....not yet anyway. Is it fun?...some think so...I know I do but thats personal taste. Some don't like the Lithtech engine (I, for one, don't) but thats hardly a reason to dismiss the whole thing. Lag an issue?...sure is, especially when the developers suggest not going under a T1 connection to host 16 player but some dickhead insists that his connection has "always been great" so it must be ok. remeber the Renegade beta those first few days?...everyone screaming that the netcode was at fault until Westwood had to drill it into peoples heads that it took "X" amount of bandwidth to host "Y" amount of people. The game suddenly became quite stable and playable shortly thereafter.

Personally I think the game has lots of potential but like any new game for the PC it has some fine tuning to be done. The guys screaming "CS rip-off" need to realize that this is a genre that will get more and more copycats as time goes on. Hence the reason it gets called a "genre"...theres more than a couple out there now. I can't fathom why fans of say, CS or R6 feel threatened just like Quakers felt intimidated by Unreal Tournament....it means theres just more fun for all of us. It sounds corny but you can either look at it as a threat or another bit of game to immerse yourself in.

If you don't like it, move on. No ones got a gun to your head, do they?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

103. Re: Low Ping Warping=Crappy Net Code? Mar 11, 2002, 10:30 anon@208.178

late last night I finally found a couple servers that had low pings (under 250)and were not password protected then played for several hours. I must say if you find a stable fast server this game is great fun. And there is no bunny-hopping as in CS.

I was gaurding the choke point in the underpass and picked up a sniper rifle. For the rest of the game those damned counter-terrorist units were scared to try advancing. I picked up a grenade from a dead demo-guy and when some poor shmuck tried to hide behind the pilar near the parked car he died a most horrible death.

You got to love it when you can blow stuff up. Thumbs up for Global Ops.

142 Replies. 8 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo