Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

First off, there are a couple of dates I failed to note yesterday amid honoring our three great Americans. Yesterday marked the beginning of the Chinese New Year (thanks Ant), this is a two week long celebration, so I guess I'm not technically late, but I certainly don't want to forget to wish a happy Year of the Horse. Yesterday also was Fat Tuesday, which makes today Ash Wednesday, and probably also makes for some Mardi Gras celebrants who are reaching for the aspirin this morning.

Finally, you may have seen this elsewhere already, but if you haven't, the folks at Can't get enough Futurama send word that Fox Broadcasting is planning on making Futurama a thing of the past, and there's A Future For Futurama Petition online with an attempt to save the animated series (and unlike The Family Guy petition, this one does not threaten an impractical boycott of sponsoring products).

I highly recommend today's media of the day. The mind-mending adventures of Steve Elvis America and Go-Go Morningstar Perfect Assassin are not to be missed.

Story of the Day: Boy Run Over by Train, Survives. Apparently without a scratch. Thanks theAntiELVIS.
Media of the Day: Terrible Cosmic Death. Thanks Mr. Coffee.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: STUPID ASS FOOTBALL???!!!! Feb 14, 2002, 08:29 tempus

As a token foreigner I'd just like to you can shove football and unfunny animated shows in all their forms. Keep sending I Love Lucy or *ALL* you bases am belong to us...

hmmm you don't talk like Fes but then again you probably aren't a foreign exchange student either

http://www.excelbydesign.net/tempus

Point winamp to http://tempustemper.no-ip.org:8000
or don't....
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: STUPID ASS FOOTBALL???!!!! Feb 14, 2002, 00:06 anon@213.120

As a token foreigner I'd just like to you can shove football and unfunny animated shows in all their forms. Keep sending I Love Lucy or *ALL* you bases am belong to us...  

23. Re: STUPID ASS FOOTBALL???!!!! Feb 13, 2002, 22:32 Bronco

You'll smoke a turd in hell for that!

Pretty strong words. I have to say I agree with them

Snappy2Stroke

--Your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

-TPFKAS2S

22. Re: confused Feb 13, 2002, 22:31 Bronco

so why does real suck then folks?

I for one have never been able to install it without my system slowly descending into a hell of fatal exceptions and other wacky behavior.

Now the root cause of that could be Bill and the gang (if you are into conspiracies). But it really doesn't matter to me what the cause is, I just know that if I install the RP then I'll be formating my HD in a couple of weeks.

Snappy2Stroke

--Your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

-TPFKAS2S

21. Re: STUPID ASS FOOTBALL???!!!! Feb 13, 2002, 22:26 BlightCrawler

Stupid Ass Football. Truer words were never spoken.

20. STUPID ASS FOOTBALL???!!!! Feb 13, 2002, 21:38 WarPig

STUPID ASS FOOTBALL???!!!

You'll smoke a turd in hell for that!

GO SEAHAWKS!

19. Terrible Cosmic Death Feb 13, 2002, 18:35 Dclaw

So.... Steve Elvis America is the President of America... and, he saves America from destruction... but, America is Italy.... and, he speaks English....

All hail Robo Bobo!

Dclaw

The Death Claw

Dclaw

18. Re: confused Feb 13, 2002, 17:16 Anvil

As far as I can tell, neither Windows Media Player nor Apple's Quicktime have ads built into them.

Um yes i was being obtuse. what i meant was that ms and apple seem to push the user to sites/formats designed to cement their market position - for example if opening an mpg file in winXP quicktime is not listed as an available player but some other (unknown to me) company is. This isn't howvere the same as reals advertising so i withdraw my remark. it was unhelpful.

Anvil

Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

17. Re: confused Feb 13, 2002, 17:09 Yousho

In my experience, Real formats support lower quality compared to filesize than all of their competitors, are more vulnerable to corruption, and, worst of all, can only be played in RealPlayer, which, IMO, is slow, bloated, and ugly. I've got several Real movies that actually cause the player to *crash* at certain points -- it's absolutely inexcusable that the company's own format could cause their player to crash.

Not to mention, of course, how installing RealSomething invariably attemps to usurp many of my file associations and place various things in my startup group.

At least, that's why *I* don't like Real's software. BTW -- what do you mean by "ms and apple are good at that too"? As far as I can tell, neither Windows Media Player nor Apple's Quicktime have ads built into them. (Mind you, I'm not standing up for MS or Apple's software, but you should at least get your facts right)

16. confused Feb 13, 2002, 16:50 Anvil

so why does real suck then folks? Curious cos i can't see any reason for it other than constant ads - but then ms and apple are good at that too. .

Anvil

Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

15. Re: Media of the Day Feb 13, 2002, 15:53 Hyatus

Yuck...
Give me RealPlayer over Quicktime any day of the week.

And I didn't think that media was all that great.
It reminded me of the end of one of the Clerks: TAS episodes
where the show is handed over to the Korean animators.
Funny as hell, that was.
This, IMO, was just kinda average...Still, it's nice to
see a link to the Exposure website. That show is awesome.

-Hyatus
"da da da"

14. No subject Feb 13, 2002, 14:58 anon@63.23

Futurama got the audience, and fate, it deserved. Nothing lasts forever.  

13. Family Guy Feb 13, 2002, 13:56 anon@198.214

Uh... No offense, Futurama is pretty good, but Family Guy is better IMHO.  

12. Re: Media of the Day Feb 13, 2002, 13:33 anon@208.190

Ditto... Real Player sucks so bad... I am steamed so fcking bad when I follow a link to a ram or rm file...  

11. Re: Media of the Day Feb 13, 2002, 13:14 Puck

Yeah, RealPlayer sucks, so I did some searching around and you can download Terrible Cosmic Death from rockstargames.com as a MOV file:

http://www.rockstargames.com/uploads/The%20Terribe%20Cosmic%20Death.mov

10. Re: Futurama Cancelled Feb 13, 2002, 12:45 tempus

uhmm I like grounded for life and titus rocks. so, you can't get rid of those..... you could how ever, get rid of (to quote you) STUPID ASS FOOTBALL

that would be fine by me.

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 08:28.

http://www.excelbydesign.net/tempus

Point winamp to http://tempustemper.no-ip.org:8000
or don't....

9. MotD Feb 13, 2002, 12:40 anon@209.233

Tried the Terrible Cosmic Death and just Realized that XP doesn't come with RealPlayer. Huh, never noticed that before. It's actually Real nice.

BM

8. Futurama on /. too... Feb 13, 2002, 12:36 Ant

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/02/12/2158210&mode=thread&tid=129

I am mad too! I already signed the petition. As Bender says, "kiss my shiny @ss" :P.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

7. Re: Futurama Cancelled Feb 13, 2002, 12:28 anon@66.156

What a bunch of bull$*!t. Football ALWAYS supercedes Futurama here on the East coast (dunno if this is true in the middle of the country or on the West coast), so of course they don't get high enough ratings! Good lord, move some other crap show off the air (like Grounded for Life, Titus, etc.) and put Futurama in its place. I'd LOVE to watch the show, but STUPID ASS FOOTBALL ALWAYS goes over the timeslot during the season. It really pisses me off!  

6. Re: Futurama Cancelled Feb 13, 2002, 12:05 Devster

The real question is whether Groening can shop it around to other networks... though that never seems to work for very long. (MST3K being the one exception, I guess.)

"JAG" used to be on NBC before it got booted and moved to CBS, where it quietly thrives.

Devster

Use your head, don't lose it - Don't feed the trolls!
Boycott Belligerent Boycotters!

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo