Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

In a situation that reminds me of an old Peanuts comic where someone offers Linus a substitute for his missing blanket and he screams back: "Would you give a starving dog a rubber bone?," I'm pretty sure that the coffee I made this morning is decaffeinated. As you can imagine, this is a fairly frightening situation... hey, maybe I can get the Red Cross to consider this a disaster... after all, they do tend to bring coffee and donuts when they show up. Okay, maybe a trip to the store would be more appropriate, but far less dramatic.

Link of the Day: Hacked! Thanks Whiskey and Ogreboy. Pretty scary, huh kids? Requires MSIE.
Bonus Link: Guys Keyboard. First Qwerty, Then Dvorak, Now Fazekas. Thanks Frottage.
Story of the Day: Robber Swallows Stolen Diamond. Thanks theAntiELVIS. I'd like to read that search warrant.
Bonus Story: Backstreet Boy Nick Carter Busted! Thanks Jaxx. No, don't get your hopes up... crimes against music aren't actually enforceable.
Weird Science: Setting Sail on a Giant, Floating City, with word on the Freedom Ship. Thanks Elvis. Just another step towards the future predicted in Snow Crash.
Weird Science II: Cloned Sheep Dolly Develops Arthritis. Thanks [MP] Wolverine [MP].
Wild Science: Liar, Liar, Eyes on Fire. Thanks again [MP] Wolverine [MP].

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Hacked Jan 5, 2002, 13:25 anon@64.229

You're web browser being able to display the Hacked! web site could be considered a security hazard. Why? Because the server is not sending the proper mime type.

Take a look here:
http://webtools.mozilla.org/web-sniffer/view.cgi?url=http://barstow.ra-systems.com/hacked.jpg&verbose=on

Content-Type: image/jpegCRLF

The web server is telling the browser that the file is a jpeg. IE on the other hand is ignoring the fact that the server is telling it that it's a jpeg and it looks at the file extension. If you remember a couple weeks ago there was a IE virus (Or outlook, whatever... a Microsoft Virus) which pretended to be a wave file, when in fact it was an executable. IE just went right ahead and executed it because it looked at the file extension instead of the mime type.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Guys Keyboard Jan 5, 2002, 05:14 Takashi[KiN]

Wouldn't the ideal keyboard for internet-using men be one of the one-handed Dvorak variants?

24. Float terrorists dream. Jan 5, 2002, 00:57 anon@4.61

No not only does an airplane kill thousands. Now a submarine or boat (or a bugs bunny style needle) can kill thousands with minimal infrastructure. Go modernization.  

23. Re: Hacked to death Jan 5, 2002, 00:06 Chris

yeah, it's in HTML 4.0 also, just not in HTML 4.0 Strict, and browser support varies; Netscape 4.x browsers on Windows machines don't support it for instance

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 00:10.

22. Hacked to death Jan 4, 2002, 23:35 Balboa

Just to put the final(?) nail in it's coffin:
iframe is standard html 4.01: http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/frames.html#h-16.5

And if you create a frameset, with a standard frame's src set to "file://c:\" Opera shows your HD too.

Haven't found a way to get NS to do it yet.

21. Hacked and Floating City Jan 4, 2002, 20:00 theAntiELVIS

I'm glad the technical voice of reason came out on the "Hacked" thing - it would have been scary if I saw someone elses's drive there.

The floating city has to be a scam. All the images and models portray it as a rigid-hull craft. No rigid hull that long could resist the shear forces exerted by the movement of the water supporting it - it would break into sections.

If the thing was more of a square it might work, but then you'd have to use tugs to move it.

The idea that a 100-foot wave would "only move it an inch" is ludicrous. If the hull is flat-bottomed, it would capsize.

But I downloaded the nifty Popular Mechanics illustration - makes great wallpaper.

-tAE-

20. Re: Hacked! Jan 4, 2002, 19:01 Chris

oh, hehe, i probably should've looked further down on the comments page; something similar to this was already said

and yeah, even if the browser did support a non-html 4.0 standard command such as iframe, it might still only work with ie since ie is basically an extension of the Explorer file browsing shell that microsoft os' use

19. Re: Hacked! Jan 4, 2002, 18:40 Chris

that "hacked" thing is just a simple html page, renamed to .jpg, with an iframe tag that simply uses C:\ as the source for the frame contents of the inline frame (iframe), meaning that it displays the contents of c:\ locally within the browser; the contents of your C:\ aren't being transmitted or seen remotely

the reason why it wont work with all browsers is not a security issue or because IE is less secure, it's simply that the iframe command used is not a standard command in the HTML 4.0 set and therefore not supported by all browsers

18. w00h00! Jan 4, 2002, 14:58 Esox Lucius

Wait a minute. Thrashed for posting the DL and then gets good press for it in the end? Why doesn't my life work that way? Kudos on the new title. Maybe a knighthood in the future?  
Esox Lucius

17. MOH:AA Demo Redux Jan 4, 2002, 14:41 Atomic

http://money.cnn.com/2002/01/04/technology/column_gaming/

Blue, congrats on being called "the dean of Internet gaming news sites". I couldn't agree more.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

16. Re: Hacked! Jan 4, 2002, 14:03 Ronin

Blue, you should state on the link that it only works with crap, unsecure browsers.

He did state that. Just not in so many words. "Requires MSIE". For the accronymly (sp?) challanged, "Microsoft Internet Explorer.

-Azrael
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
http://gamershots.net

15. Floating City Jan 4, 2002, 13:30 Tony Z

My biggest question, and one the skipped over in the article, is what powers this thing? They say that it's got turbines for propulsion, but I pray that it's not oil powered. Aircraft carriers are nuclear (I'm pretty sure), and this thing's what, 4 times the size?

Cruise ships, which are deisel powered, get something like a few inches per gallon. If this thing is supposed to be petrol powered, it'd have to tow a tanker around with it to stay running.

--------------
Tony Zahn
Sofware Engineer, Achievement Technologies Inc.
Go Blue!

--------------
Go Blue!

14. decaf? Jan 4, 2002, 11:37 Bronco

I'm a serious addict myself. I'll do 2 12 cup carafes on an average day. On the weekends if I get tied up with the kids and don't have time to brew a pot I get massive migraine headaches. With that said:

1. How could you make the mistake of buying decaf?
2. How could you not know if its decaf or not?

This brings back a memory of a line from a movie (Wayne's World I think)

Get him coffee and a cruller stat!

Snappy2Stroke

--Your ideas intrigue me and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

-TPFKAS2S

13. Dream? Jan 4, 2002, 11:18 anon@66.1

I may have just been having a crazy dream, but I could've sworn I woke up and saw them talking about your website on the financial channel. Some kind of subscriber service you're offering to people now...Was that just a dream?  

12. Re: No subject Jan 4, 2002, 10:52 anon@24.180

You're an idiot. Stephenson is as original as ANY modern author. Take that as you will. You're still an idiot.  

11. No subject Jan 4, 2002, 10:40 anon@206.126

"Just another step towards the future predicted in Snow Crash"

Uh-huh... Except that Robert Silverberg wrote about floating, moblie arcologies in "Lord Valentine's Castle" in 1980, and Larry Niven before him in "Ringworld" in 1970. Which, you may notice, predate Stephenson's copycat cyberpunk book by 12 and 22 years, respectively. There are quite probably even more examples further back in the past. Stephenson is mildly entertaining, but he's not original or prophetic by any stretch of the imagination. You want original, read Iain Banks.

10. Floating city Jan 4, 2002, 10:16 anon@217.82

I'd live there if i could have fast uber-broadband connection with a low ping  

9. Focus In Ad Jan 4, 2002, 09:56 spyder11

Blue, I just wanted to point out that the ad you're running for Focus In is not working.

8. Re: Liar, Liar, Eyes on Fire. Jan 4, 2002, 09:53 anon@209.178

I think this is one of the most useless things they could use.
It is supposed to be a LIE DETECTOR. How could this help in a bombing situation? Are they going to ASK everyone "Do you plan to hijack a plane?" "Do you plan to blow up a plane?" etc...
The standard did you back your bag question wouldn't help either since I'm sure the terrorists packed thier own bags anyway. (BTW: I always answer no to that question. My wife packs my bags )
If this just detects temperature changes, then like spyder said, it will have MANY false readings. How many nervous passengers could there be in a crowded airport.

7. Liar, Liar, Eyes on Fire. Jan 4, 2002, 09:44 spyder11

Will this cause security stop and question people who are afraid of flying? I think a lot of people are going to be stopped unnecessarily. It'll be also a little creepy to know that you're being watched.

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo