Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Open Letter to the Doom/Quake Community

Archive situation at cdrom.com is an open letter to the Doom and Quake communities from Ty Halderman and our own Frans P. de Vries, who have for years been voluntarily maintaining the idgames archive on cdrom.com. They recently lost access to these DOOM and Quake archives, and the open letter outlines both why, and what they are attempting to do about it. Here's how the letter caps off: "Rest assured that we have now, as we have had for years of volunteer efforts, the best interests of the id Software community in mind. We may ask for some assistance from other members of the community as we finalize our plans, and appreciate your patience in the meantime."

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. *sigh* Oct 2, 2001, 16:03 Heatwave

This is like deleting the records of my favorite era of gaming history...Back then I accessed CDrom.com almost daily...well it's a good thing I'v got those 2 gigs of zip disks in my desk...God I miss the classic Quake dev community...

-Heatwave

-Heatwave
(Apologies for wasting anyones space or time with this message.)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Bring back the original! Oct 2, 2001, 07:11 Golbez

Walnut Creek sold cdrom.com to Digital River nearly two years ago, so they weren't involved in any of this.

I see... hm. What was Digital River prior to this? And why is www.cdrom.com simply and 100% a SimTel mirror now?

And without the cdrom.com archive to leech off, where is Walnut Creek getting their material, if they even exist anymore?

Let's move back to infant2!

13. Re: It sucks, but.. Oct 2, 2001, 03:32 anon@209.115

#3,

There are several backups online, from various FTP locations, plus personal FTPs (you can inquire about them at Doomworld, Doom Center, or New Doom), so that's good.

So the old archives aren't lost, but there are (of course) other downsides: Ty and Frans obviously were treated unprofessionally, and that sucks. Also, it's not like these were just archives, I know (for Doom at least), that the /newstuff/ folder was constantly being added to, with new, great work always being stored at cdrom.com... AndrewB of Doomworld does an article 'The /Newstuff Chronicles' with all the latest reviews on new Doom work... it really sucks for the community (and for anyone else who has used or contributed to it) for all of this to be gone... Good luck to Ty and Frans, hopefully there will be a solution for it

12. Re: Bring back the original! Oct 1, 2001, 23:45  Frans 

Walnut Creek always struck me as a profitable company
Walnut Creek sold cdrom.com to Digital River nearly two years ago, so they weren't involved in any of this.
Hehe, the Unreal archive is still open to the public
Yes, they probably forgot to close it at the same time as the Doom/Quake archives, but its future on cdrom.com is just as uncertain. So, we're working on securing all three archives' future elsewhere. More later.

-- Frans
News editor, http://www.bluesnews.com/
3D Gamers admin, http://www.3dgamers.com/

-- Frans

11. No subject Oct 1, 2001, 20:45 anon@207.199

2,334 Dom files: http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?section=1129

11,962 Quake files: http://www.fileplanet.com/index.asp?section=1123

10. Damn. Oct 1, 2001, 20:43 anon@194.117

That's some bad shit.

Thank god for Fileplanet LOL hahaha.

Shambler.

9. SUnet Oct 1, 2001, 17:21 Zdim

As always, the Swedish mirror SUnet is another choice for idgame downloadables.

ftp://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pc/games/

I became fed up with the situation at CDROM.com over two years ago when its commitment to the idgame archives first began to falter. Where was the concern then?

At Zdim's Weapon Rack and The Gratis Gamer, we're putting our "best of" lists of Quake, Quake 2, Quake 3, Doom, Doom 2, Heretic and Hexen files on our own server at Digital Eel. In fact, everything has already been updated save for Quake and Quake 2 maps. Those links will be valid as well by week's end.

http://digital-eel.com/zdim/zwr.htm
http://digital-eel.com/zdim/gratis.htm

8. No subject Oct 1, 2001, 17:00 anon@63.78

Boring. Remember that you're only reading the spin that Ty and Frans want to put on the situation.

Just because they may not be maintaining it in the future doesn't mean that someone outside of the community won't be.

7. Re: Not good Oct 1, 2001, 16:27 anon@24.93

It's simple.

F cdrom.
Piss in the Creek.
Sh1t in the River.

It's time to move on.

Have a nice day

(cc) 2001 P1mp D4ddi0

6. Re: Bring back the original! Oct 1, 2001, 16:20 Mastaba

Hehe, the Unreal archive is still open to the public

5. nooooooo Oct 1, 2001, 14:43 frederickson

how can this be so this is devastating to the quakes communities and i feel like crying, oh i wish it wasnt true how can i live with this

4. Bring back the original! Oct 1, 2001, 14:43 Golbez

Let's head back to infant2.sphs.indiana.edu

This really sucks. ftp.cdrom.com has been one of the biggest and most accessed servers in the internet's history. However, I can't think of a time I've been on it in the past .. 3 years. It just got too bogged down and slow. What does this say? Frankly, I think that with all their new rules and stuff, they were using far more bandwidth PRIOR to, oh, Quake 2's release. Why shut down now, when bandwidth is cheaper than several years ago, and usage is lower? Walnut Creek always struck me as a profitable company; run a free server, sell CDs of what's on it. Is their core business suffering? And, again, if they are using less bandwidth now than in past years, why suddenly up the premium?

And, one last thing - How does moving the archive into the hands of inexperienced people outside of the community save Walnut Creek money? (I'll always know it as wcarchive, don't try to confuse me with a new name %))

PS - Well, having gone to www.cdrom.com ... I see no mention of Digital River or Walnut Creek remaining whatsoever, except for a copyright notice - it's all a SimTel archive now. (blast from the past, that - I haven't thought of that name for years. All I ever used them for was to snag obscure archival programs)

3. It sucks, but.. Oct 1, 2001, 14:30 anon@65.89

Let this be a lesson learned. If any one of you have files on a "public" server that is offered for "free" GET YOUR FILES BACKED UP, PRONTO. The free ride that we have all enjoyed is going away, slowly but surely. Get used to it. Capitalism will fill any economic vacuum eventually.  

2. Re: Not good Oct 1, 2001, 14:07 AfterFox

My god, that sucks.

When I think of DOOM files, I think of cdrom.com! That archive has been there since the beginning and has, hands down, been my favorite place to go for doom stuff. Kind of sad to see it go... it's like watching your favorite shoppe close it's doors for good.

Definately sucks how they're treating Frans and Ty. I hope Digital River does a 180 before a pissed game community overloads their email servers.

Liska

1. Not good Oct 1, 2001, 13:03 Anvil

Whilst I can see why (especially in the current climate) Digital River might wish to revoke this service, the situation as described by Ty & Frans just plain sucks.

Companies should learn that they need to be pro-active about communication , especially when it is bad news. I also wonder what effect if any this will haveon their business given that many many IT execs are long time doom and quake guys. Certainly i'd be less enthustiastic than before about Digital river services as a direct result of the behaviour that Frans and Ty describe.

Anvil - from the land of warm beer and mad cattle.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo