Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Getting the Blammo archives back online is taking longer than originally anticipated (at this point I think furn is combining this project with addressing that knotty Unix year bug so they are both fixed in time for 2038). In the meantime, we have popped up a temporary news archive with a bunch of static pages each covering a single day going back to the beginning of September. These are just flat dumps of a day's news page, so not only are they not searchable, but the inserts are all whacked, offering time machine looks at what the popular threads and .plan updates were showing at the time the page was saved, but they will serve as some point of reference while we try to get everything else in order.

Link of the Day: An new era of entertainment is dawning on SimArena. A new nutty music video. Flash required. Thanks To The Game.
Wild Science: Real-Life Cyborg Challenges Reality With Technology. NY Times free registration required. Thanks Jonathan C. Forster.
Media of the Day: There's a new Lord of the Rings movie trailer on Apple's Website. Thanks Joshua and Bagpuss.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: LOR Sep 27, 2001, 22:30 Gojo

"Am I the only one who thinks the Lord of the Rings movie sucks?"

In a word Yes.

That trailer absolutely ROCKED! Gandalf looks just as I pictured him, but I do agree about the skinny hobbits.
And what about that Balrog on the bridge? AWESOME!! It's like they've breathed life to my imagination.

How can you say it sucks? This is simply the most incredible movie trailer I've ever seen. I will be waiting in line on opening day for this film. If it's 1/10 as good as the trailer we're in for a treat.

BTW, I'm a 34 year old avid reader, hardly an illiterate young person.

=-Gojo-=
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. woo Toybox Sep 27, 2001, 01:14 indiv

That music video on SimArena was pretty nutty, but it's nowhere near as nutty as the real music video. And certainly not as nutty as Toybox's video for "Tarzan and Jane". Do a search for it on one of those peer to peer file sharing things and check it out.

"I am Jane and I love to ride an elephant!"

haha.. hilarious.

19. Re: Thanks Blue! Sep 27, 2001, 00:34 nin

I second the "Thank you" for a temp news archive...I missed about a week of news and have been waiting to play catch up.

Thanks Blue!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

18. archives.nytimes.com Sep 26, 2001, 18:56 anon@24.7

http://archives.nytimes.com/2001/09/25/science/physical/25CYBO.html

no registration required, you tend to learn these things when reading /.

17. Thanks Blue! Sep 26, 2001, 17:24 anon@134.134

Thanks for setting up the fix until the archive are back up!  

16. Re: there are too many mean teenage boyshere Sep 26, 2001, 16:28 Aidan

This is funny shit, just in the way it's written. The really funny thing is that I know two other people who write stuff in this style.

One is a friend from back in 5th grade. One is the head of the entire division at work.

What a world....
Aidan

15. Re: LOR Sep 26, 2001, 14:28 anon@24.129

Am I the only one who thinks the Lord of the Rings movie sucks? Skinny hobbits & a Gandalf that looks like he came from "back to the future"? I was highly anticipating this movie until I saw the trailers. Maybe they'll get illiterate young people's money, but not mine. XI  

14. Re: FilePlanet Sep 26, 2001, 14:12  Frans 

It was the second time in as many days (Motor City Online demo available at EA's ftp site, only FilePlanet was listed.)
If you had checked the MCO story again a few hours after it was originally posted, you would have noticed that the EA ftp link (and two other sites) were added as soon as we were aware of them.

Next time you are aware of a new download before it's mirrored on FilePlanet, please don't hesitate to let us know right away, rather than days later. Maybe, with your help, just maybe, we can then reverse this trend that apparently irks you so much.

-- Frans
News editor, http://www.bluesnews.com/
3D Gamers admin, http://www.3dgamers.com/

-- Frans

13. Re: FilePlanet Sep 26, 2001, 12:35  Blue 

I didn't mean to start an argument here, but I guess I'll respond to clarify my meaning about what I meant by distorted:

Is that why they are always linked, even when there are other, far better alternatives?

That is distorted... using the word "always" and the phrase "far better alternatives" gives the impression of some sort of chronic myopia about where we link to. We link to the sources we are aware of, and when mirrors are available, we link to those as well.

The only point I would make about journalistic integrity in this case is that if we had some sort of agenda we would share it. Enough people have expressed an interest in supporting us that if we had something to gain from you downloading from a certain link (to stick with the example at hand), we would say so to get more people to do so. This is not, however, the case.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, Il Presidente for Life

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

12. Re: FilePlanet Sep 26, 2001, 12:28 frederickson

im REAL look at that PUNK ticklemeelmo GROW UP THIS IS FREE YOU HAVE NO REASON WHINING, i swear im getting upset at this little boy having to cry. jesus his biggest problem in life is "mommy blue linked to fileplanet" wah wah cry cry drink your formulae, baby.

11. Re: FilePlanet Sep 26, 2001, 12:22 TickleMyElmo

That's a ridiculous statement... most of the time they are linked, they are the only source for a file.

It was the second time in as many days (Motor City Online demo available at EA's ftp site, only FilePlanet was listed.)

It's sort of depressing to find anyone jumping to such a distorted conclusion about our motives.

Um, huh? What's "distorted"? The ad-supported web site industry has imploded in on itself, and sites are trying to find some way to survive. (Somethingawful is today's latest casualty )Some are forming partnerships with commercial entities to get a little revenue.

I don't think the choice of file download sites has anything to do with journalistic integrity. You're linking to the same data either way. But it would be a tradeoff between reader satisfaction and site profit. That's always the tradeoff, it seems.
This comment was edited on Sep 26, 12:24.

10. Re: there are too many mean teenage boys Sep 26, 2001, 12:21 anon@207.13

+1 Insightful/Funny  

9. Re: there are too many mean teenage boys Sep 26, 2001, 11:58  Blue 

Do you see, Blue, how cool it would be to moderate this post as a "troll?"

Actually we could use our own terminology here and call such troll posts "fredericksons."

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

8. Re: there are too many mean teenage boys Sep 26, 2001, 11:49 frederickson

blue i am on your side dont listen to this child he wants to disrupt your service i bet he knows they loopholes in the slash code and wants you to use it so his attack will be spread on a wider audience blue dont fall for his mean plan

7. Re: there are too many mean teenage boys Sep 26, 2001, 11:44 Dunkirk

Do you see, Blue, how cool it would be to moderate this post as a "troll?"

;-)
Dunkirk

Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

6. there are too many mean teenage boyshere Sep 26, 2001, 11:37 frederickson

you guys are mean to blue he is very nice he gives us a good piece of info everyday and then its free but then you guys come here and accuse him acting because you are spoiled and you think youy deserve so much but guess what you are SPOILed baby and you make us sick so be nice to blue he is a nice man and he is the captain of the page and if you dont listen to the captain you get thrown off the ship into the OCEAN. do you know how much that sucks, you are trapped in water forever you will never get out for the rest of your life you cant see all the creatures beneath you there are fish and SHARKS and octopuss and oysters. this is very dangeroud they could bite you at any moment and it makes me scared. when i see a big water i get scared of falling inside tis dark and i cant see whats coming after me and i have contacts so i cant open my eyes in the water and i would be very scared

5. Re: Backend Software Sep 26, 2001, 10:57  Blue 

Anyway, just a question, to which I'm sure there is a good answer.

And a good question it is. The basic answer is that when it comes to programming issues, I am a monkey, so even implementing OpenSource code would require someone else doing it.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

4. Re: FilePlanet Sep 26, 2001, 10:54  Blue 

Does Bluesnews get money from FilePlanet for referrals

No, not that they haven't offered...

The link I posted at first was the one that was sent in... It was Bagpuss that pointed out that the Apple site had it.

Is that why they are always linked, even when there are other, far better alternatives?

That's a ridiculous statement... most of the time they are linked, they are the only source for a file. It's sort of depressing to find anyone jumping to such a distorted conclusion about our motives.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

3. Backend Software Sep 26, 2001, 09:37 Dunkirk

Blue, maybe this is a really ignorant question, but have you ever considered using SlashCode for your site? It occurs to me that there not a whole lot of difference with what you're doing here and what Slashdot is doing there. True, there are other things like the plan updates that don't have an equivalent, and I'm sure there are others that I'm not discerning. It's just a question of effort. You could take something that a lot of other people are working on and tweak it, or continue to manufacture your own wheel. Anyway, just a question, to which I'm sure there is a good answer. I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks,
Dunkirk

Acts 17:28 - "For in Him we live, and move, and have our being."

2. Re: FilePlanet Sep 26, 2001, 09:28 TickleMyElmo

Huh. Wow. The link changed, even as I posted that...

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo