Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Wolfenstein MP Test Released

As promised, the multiplayer test of Return to Castle Wolfenstein has now been released for download at FilePlanet (registration required) and GameSpot. This 63.5 MB download offers you the first taste of the multiplayer side in the WWII first-person shooter developed by Gray Matter and Nerve Software. We also have a local copy with more mirrors available, and please note that there are special installation notes for Windows 2000 and NT users, and for non-US Windows installations. Here is an overview of what the test brings:

Brief list of what the TEST does and does not contain:

--Contains one multiplayer teamplay map
--Does not contain single player or bots (you will need a connection to the Internet to play)
--Please check the readme.html file that is included with the game for a description of how to play, what is included, known issues, and other important information.
--Does not contain cheats (e.g. noclip, modified fov, giveall, etc.)
--Mods, game modifications, hacks, alterations, etc. are expressly prohibited with this TEST (please see the EULA.doc file included in the download for complete details)
--Redistribution of this Multiplayer TEST is not permitted by any means other than electronically via the Internet. Redistribution via any physical medium is expressly prohibited (please see the EULA.doc file included in the download for complete details).
--This is a TEST. You may experience compatibility or performance issues. Please send all feedback and bugs to wolfbugs@idsoftware.com

View
180 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

180. Re: Lag's gone for me Oct 17, 2001, 01:49 anon@24.4

on my Tbird 1.4g, 256DDR, a *PCI* 32mb radeon, & cable i never get lagged, and when i think i do, the server just crashed. i cant wait til i get my asus GF3 64mb Ti 500... ohhhh the fps.... wofenstein OWNS... if ya think it sucks get a better computer.X|  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

179. Re: Not Respawing!!!! Sep 22, 2001, 12:33 anon@134.114

When you die, you have two options. 1, stay lying there and hope a medic comes and brings you back to life or 2, drop in to limbo and wait for the next respawn. It sounds to me like when you die you're just sitting there lying on the ground waiting for a medic, eventually you get gibbed (explosion etc.) and can no longer be brought back and are forced in to limbo and then allowed to respawn on the next cycle.

If you want to respawn ASAP hit jump (space) the instant you die, you will drop to limbo and respawn within 40 seconds as axis or 30 seconds as ally (unless someone f-ed with the server settings).

Also to whoever was having that problem with dropping to limbo at the last second and respawning without the chance to change class, you can bring up the limbo menu when you hit escape, even when you have an active character. As ally I usualy start the map as engineer, hide and switch classes for my next respawn and then go set explosives.

178. Re: Not Respawing!!!! Sep 21, 2001, 15:29 anon@216.53

The only thing that detriments the experience....

I agree. I'll admit I jumped right into the game the first time without reading the ReadMe. But after that initial, "What the hell am I supposed to do?" I went back and RTFM. Now I know what that pretty smoke is for, and I know to get the hell out of the way if I see it.

177. Re: Not Respawing!!!! Sep 21, 2001, 15:25 anon@216.53

That would be great if I actually respawned with them, instead I'm left watching them kill and maim to thier hearts content while I wack my pud...

The max respawn time is 45secs. Believe me, I see it every time, so my average wait to get back into the game is over a minute usually! This is unacceptable, the code is buggy, they need to fix it and that's what this test is for, to find the bugs...

176. Re: No subject Sep 21, 2001, 15:22 anon@216.53

If you would have taken the time to read my post, you would see that Limbo mode is not the issue. The game is defective, it is a test therefor they know it is buggy, I'm just letting ya'll know about it. And yes I've contacted "them" about it too.

Remember, it is wiser to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

175. My two gripes Sep 21, 2001, 13:24 Efflixi

I downloaded and played.... everything runs fine here on my 1.2GHz Tbird with GF2 Ultra (nothing overclocked). My only two problems are the idiots who run a 32 player server on a 128K upload capped cable modem, and the fact that 90% of the servers have friendly fire (where u can hurt/kill teammates) on. I found a good server HomeLan that has a good connection and no FF. All of HomeLan's servers are sweet. From Tribes 2 to Serious Sam all they're servers are nice. I'd suggest u guys finding professional servers. Not some newbie idiot running one on his capped cable modem.

Top piece of advice: STAY AWAY FROM ANY SERVER BEGINING WITH THE IP ADDRESS "24.x.x.x"!!!! 99% of the time thats a cable modem. (the other 1% its a server at a cable company ISP and has very nice connections)

174. Re: Not Respawing!!!! Sep 21, 2001, 00:24 anon@24.49

The only thing that detriments the experience of the game for me is how little the players know about it. I cannot stress enough: READ THE README.HTML! There is so much in there you wouldn't know about at first glance.

There's a SPRINT key! There's a power bar for special abilities! Calling for ammo or medic places a distinct icon over your head so they can easily find you! Voice commands are imperative to work as a team (also lets teammates easily identify your location).

It's the same as TFC. The game's been out for years, but how many players are still running around without a clue of what the engineers are capable of?

I feel like you can't enjoy the game how it's meant to be played because even if you're lucky enough to find a few team members willing to work together, the other side probably doesn't have the same smart players and you invariably dominate the map. BORING! Evenly matched teams would be a true thrill.

173. Re: Not Respawing!!!! Sep 20, 2001, 22:46 AnIdiot

The whole point of having a respawn time is for the team to respawn at the same time, like getting reinforcements. Imagine if you were on the allies team, it would kinda suck to be the only one at the bottom of the beach, and get killed every time by a sniper or a turret! You need the distraction of other teammates to help you escape the enemy fire.

One suggestion I have to improve this problem would be to decrease the amount of time it takes to respawn depending on how many team members you have. Right now it looks like you respawn every 30 seconds (might be a server setting)as long as you are dead (not waiting for a medic).

Overall, I really like the game. I have had no problems with lag on servers that are dedicated T1's. It seems that a lot of servers out there are run by newbies with DSL or Cable connections and an insufficient processor in their computer...

172. No subject Sep 20, 2001, 19:56 anon@65.9

On the spawning issue you HAVE to go into limbo mode to respawn or else you'll just wait until a medic gets to you until you die when you'll be forced into limbo mode.  

171. Re: Lag Sep 20, 2001, 19:18 JediLuke

Nope, I definitely know the difference between low FPS and lag. See, for the most part it's not that it's choppy for me, everything runs very smoothly. But when I fire, my gun doesn't shoot for half a second, and it takes another half second to see the bullet mark. Movement is like running through sludge, and weapon changing is just as bad. Still, FPS wise I'm doing just fine, and my ping on the server listing, in GS Arcade, and on the in-game scoreboard is under 100, often under 50. So I really don't get it. Happens on every server. BTW, I'm on a PIII 800 w/ 160 MB RAM, 32 MB GeForce 256, and cable modem.

~Jedi

170. Re: Lag Sep 20, 2001, 15:43 anon@207.61

I really don't know how true that is, Anon, especially since I have a 1.53 Athlon (1.33 o/c'ed), 256 MB ram, Geforce 3, Win XP. 21.81 drivers, blah, blah, blah, and I am experiencing huuuuuge lag. I have a dedicated server running at home, and I am seeing many people timing out, or trying to log on with a ping at around 24,000 ms. It's a joke with the netcode that is in this game. Many people are playing with 999 pings. It's not the pc's, dude.  

169. Lag Sep 20, 2001, 14:49 anon@166.82

Perhaps a lot of you think you are experiencing lag with low pings when it's really your system hanging up, not your connection. type "/cg_drawFPS 1" sans quotes in the console and join a game. That command will show your FPS. Whenever I experience this "lag" my FPS drops to zero. I've experienced this hangup in LAN and Internet play. I'm not sure what causes it, got the Test installed on two AMD machines, a 1.4 GHz, 256 SDRAM, and a GeForce2 MX and a 1.33 GHz, 256 DDR RAM with a GeForce2 GTS, running the detXPs (no tweaks) and it happens all the time on the MX machine and never on the GTS.  

168. Re: Not Respawing!!!! Sep 20, 2001, 12:08 anon@216.53

First of this is not a "This game sucks ass!" post, it's a voicing of bug. So shut the fuck up all you whinney bitchs telling other people to shut the fuck up...

Problem: I do not respawn when I should, in fact I usually have to wait at least two cycles, sometimes three, before I get put back in the game.

Has nothing to do with stand by. And it's not that I'm waiting for others to respawn before I can. This happens when I'm on a server with three people and no one is dead except me. This is fairly consistent too, I would say it happens about 95% of the time.

The whole "you have to wait" bullshit is, well bullshit. If it is supposed to give you a chance to change character types then simply have the game go to the select screen every time you die and don't drop the player into the game until you click finish.

167. Re: Not Respawing!!!! Sep 20, 2001, 12:05 anon@216.53

Nope, that's not it. And it's not that I'm waiting for others to respawn before I can, this happens when I'm on a server with three people and no one is dead except me. This is fairly consistent too, I would say it happens about 95% of the time.

The whole "you have to wait" bullshit is, well bullshit. If it is supposed to give you a chance to change character types then simply have the game go to the select screen every time you die and don't drop the player into the game until you click finish.

166. Re: Yea, but... Sep 20, 2001, 10:44 anon@155.33

I've been having the exact same problem. I ping in the 50s to 60s most often, as I am on a T1 LAN, but I get the worst lag imaginable. The whole game just operates at a crawl, despite my meeting and exceeding all of the system requirements quite handily. If you come up with any fix ideas, I'm all ears.

-NUvigilante

165. Re: Weapons need tweaking... Sep 20, 2001, 06:28 anon@212.247

Try aiming for head with the bullet weapons.

The FT requires a bit different strategy from the other weapons. Two FT's in a combat team is damn hard to outstrafe and headshot, even if you have low ping

164. This game rules... Sep 20, 2001, 00:30 anon@66.26

Got it last night and have been playing (almost non-stop, except for food and sleep).

I was actually surprised that it runs fine on my system (Got a 700 Mhz Athlon, but only using a Voodoo3 3000, looks great too). Really can't wait for the full version.

-Eunichron

163. Re: Not Respawing!!!! Sep 19, 2001, 23:55 PPSledge

I think you have to be in standby mode (or whatever it's called). It's the spacebar for me to go there. It's in the documentation.

Sledge

162. Re: Radio commands? Sep 19, 2001, 23:49 Ronin

Never mind, someone helped me in a game. No suprise, most of the people that post on this board are probably playing right now.

I just got my Gamevoice all set up for Wolf, now I really say what I mean. Seriously, this hardware is must have for a game like this.
(and no, MS is not paying me to tell you that)

-Azrael
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
http://gamershots.net

161. Radio commands? Sep 19, 2001, 21:11 Ronin

I've played very little, what I have I've liked, but I have a question. I've heard people using radio commands. Is this a mod you download, or is there something in the game I don't know about? Looked through the readme, not helpful.

Thanks ahead of time...

-Azrael
"Don't Fear the Reaper, fear ME."
http://gamershots.net

180 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo