Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on the WTC Disaster (Updated)

Of course this is not game related (we do not expect to be doing any further game coverage today), but with the legit news sites being almost impossible to access at times today, we've been getting loads of requests for more information about what's been going on. Here is the latest as of about 9:00 PM EDT:

• President Bush addressed the nation 8:30 PM EDT. Here's a wire report: WASHINGTON (AP) - A grim-faced President Bush condemned ghastly attacks in Washington and New York on Tuesday and vowed to "find those responsible and bring them to justice." In the second Oval Office address of his presidency, Bush said the United States would retaliate against ``those behind these evil acts,'' and any country that harbors them.

To recap:

• In two separate attacks, hijacked planes struck both main towers of the World Trade Center in Manhattan this morning, and both of the "twin towers" subsequently collapsed.
  • A hijacked plane struck the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and part of it has collapsed as well.
  • A hijacked plane crashed in western Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Reports indicate the hijackers planned to crash this plane into Camp David in Maryland.
  • 47 Story WTC building seven, one of the five (relatively) smaller buildings in the World Trade Center also later collapsed from ancillary damage.
  • The White House, the Pentagon, and the Capitol Building were all evacuated, all domestic flights in the US have been grounded through at least noon tomorrow.
  • Other closings include most federal offices, the stock markets, the Disney theme parks, and the cancellation of today's Major League Baseball schedule. The President's speech announced that all federal agencies will be open for business tomorrow.
  • Broadcasts out of Afghanistan showed evidence of missile attacks and antiaircraft fire, but what connection this has to today's apparent terrorist attacks in the US is not clear at this point. The US has denied involvement in these attacks.
  • In the first hints of any sort at the scope of casualties, the New York City Fire Department has estimated that as many as half of the 400 firefighters dispatched to the scene are missing. CNN has said that 78 Police officers are missing. Also, the death toll from those on the four hijacked planes has been placed at 266. The number of dead and injured at the Pentagon has been widely reported as about 100. No estimates of the number of victims from the World Trade Center have been made.
  • People throughout the United States have are being urged to donate blood to help offset significant shortages in New York and Washington. The American Red Cross in Greater New York or the American Red Cross are places to contact about donating blood or money, or both.
  • Some news sites seem to be back online. Here are some links that have been more reliable: CNN.com; CNET.com; Yahoo; The New York Times; washingtonpost.com; usnews.com; ABCNEWS.com; FOXNews.com; MSNBC; and BBC News Online.

All of our thoughts go out to the victims of these attacks and their families and friends in what must be an incredibly difficult time.

View
654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

34. Re: This changes nothing Sep 11, 2001, 11:39 anon@216.54

You, sir, are an idiot. A plot of this magnitude takes a year to plan and set up. Who's administration and policies would that be? Oh yeah? The Liar in Chief Bill boy!

Moron

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Helpful hint.. Sep 11, 2001, 11:39 anon@141.151

More about the plane crash near pittsburgh.

I heard on the news two different iterneries for this flight. Eitehr Chicago to some place down south, or New York to some place out west.

It is probably not related.

32. Re: What's going on? Sep 11, 2001, 11:38 anon@12.105

"cowardly religious fanatics"

Why is it that every terrorist attack or shooting of a police officer is referred to as "cowardly", regardless of the circumstances? How the hell is a suicide attack "cowardly"? Seriously. Our culture--and quite a few others--usually seem to equate sacrificing your life for what you believe in with he highest kind of bravery. But all of a sudden that's not brave but cowardly when we're the ones being attacked? Not to mention the sheer stupidity of assuming (again) that its "religious fanatics" or "Muslim extremists" behind the attacks. Maybe it is, but don't assume. Wait and see.

31. Re: Helpful hint.. Sep 11, 2001, 11:37 anon@141.151

30. Websites for news that still work? Sep 11, 2001, 11:37 anon@12.47

thanks for www.canoe.ca, that is still working does anyone have any other websites for news that still work? all the major ones are completelely clogged.

-PixelKing

29. Re: Thanks, Blue. Sep 11, 2001, 11:37 anon@207.75

Yes, Blue is the man for taking it upon himself to turn a the best gaming website on earth to the only website on earth that has information and is not jammed.  

28. Dusters Sep 11, 2001, 11:36 anon@166.70

You have to feel sorry for the rest of the world, but... its time to dust off those MX Missiles.  

27. Re: This changes nothing Sep 11, 2001, 11:36 anon@207.75

I am only suprised it has taken so long. As for war, who would we fight? If it was Palistine, it was most likley that it was just a hand full of guys, and there is nothing to destroy in Palistinian territories other than civilians. Do we go kill kids in revenge? Of course not.

President Bush, his insistance on a needless missle shield, and his general isolationist policies, are the greatest threat to American national security.

As an American, I am appauled at the destruction, enraged at the attackers, and ashamed of our administration.

26. Re: What's going on? Sep 11, 2001, 11:35 anon@24.131

A high school in NY was the subject of the car bomb  

25. Thanks, Blue. Sep 11, 2001, 11:31 anon@65.196

Just want to say thanks for posting info on this. There are a lot of us stuck somewhere without a TV or radio (but with net access) that are wondering what's going on. Efforts like this help.  

24. A new day in infamy... Sep 11, 2001, 11:29 GoldSpider

As a co-worker said to me, this will be the new day in infamy...

23. This changes nothing Sep 11, 2001, 11:28 anon@24.176

I don't think these tragedies will really have any effect beyond the senseless loss of life. War? Against who? You can't war against terrorists. This is what amazes me, that these terrorists throw away their lives to essentially no effect towards their cause, whatever it may be. If this was related to Palestinians you have to wonder why they'd do this when opinion so far has been at least somewhat sympathetic to their situation.  

22. Re: This is... Sep 11, 2001, 11:28 anon@208.2

I'm not so sure a war will start over this. According to an Arab Journalist, Osama Bin Laden was definitely responsible for this. Most likely a whole lot of bombs will be dropped, and special forces will come into play, but I don't see a widespread deployment of US Forces against a country, because there really isn't a single country we can hold responsible for this.

BTW, anyone in MD hear anything more about Camp David? A fellow marine that I went to high school with is stationed there.

21. Re: What's going on? Sep 11, 2001, 11:25 Eon

I want to give my condolences to anyone affected by this tragedy. Until your life has been touched by the spectre of international terrorism you can't begin to understand its profound effects.

I hope that my fellow Europeans will rise above the opportunity to comment on the dangers of isolationism - now is not the time to learn lessons, now is the time to give our respects to the families of all those lost today.

Eon

20. No subject Sep 11, 2001, 11:25 anon@212.169

This is really really terrible. I really hope the body count won't be as high as feared. We here in Europe feel with you guys.  

19. Re: Does anyone else... Sep 11, 2001, 11:25 anon@194.205

Obviously with terrorists hiding behind civilians in countries that harbor them, we're going to have to make them incur some civilian casualties.

I'm watching and waiting with great interest.

uh-huh, and so are all of us in the rest of the world who might end up being your civilian casualties.

18. Re: Sad day Sep 11, 2001, 11:24  Mike 

How about Palestinians Kill Jewish children with freaking Car bombs? How about Palestinians raising their children to be suicide bombers vowing never to have peace with Israel? Do you think the Israelis are shooting up the Palestinians for target practice or sport? The palestinians were thrown out of every ARAB country in the middle east!
<deep breath> sorry about the rant, but I have no sympathy for the Palestinians. Barak gave them EVERYTHING they wanted except ownership of Jerusalem and Yasser spit in his face.

17. Re: Does anyone else... Sep 11, 2001, 11:21 KaRRiLLioN

Well I hope that the US forms a forceful response to the perpetrators of the attack and to any government that seeks to give these terrorists refuge. This is the kind of wake-up call that might actually get the attention of US citizens who are already numbed from watchin one too many Arnold Schwartzenegger movies. I almost feel like I'm watching some corny terrorist movie right now, but unlike many of the terrorists in the movies, these guys had to have been professionals. I mean think of the coordination that this took.

I am saddened, amazed and impressed at the scope of this attack. I truly never thought that I would see this. Now that I have I am very interested to see if the US has the balls to back up its tough talk. Obviously with terrorists hiding behind civilians in countries that harbor them, we're going to have to make them incur some civilian casualties.

I'm watching and waiting with great interest.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 12:28.

16. This is... Sep 11, 2001, 11:21 Dead_Cow

THE most surreal thing I've ever witnessed in my life. I am truly shaken to the core. You don't think something like this will ever happen in the US. God help us all. You know a war will be started over this. This is tantamount to Pearl Harbor. Biochems scare me more than anything.

My heart goes out to all of the people that lost loved ones and to my entire country. This is a horrific thing to have to witness.

God help us all.

15. Re: What's going on? Sep 11, 2001, 11:20  Mike 

I think it's about time to help some Muslim Extremists find the 9mm road to Allah. In almost every respect this is MUCH worse than Pearl Harbor. Yes, Pearl Harbor was a sneak attack, but it was against a military target and executed by soldiers. This, apparently was by F^&(@^ing cowardly religious fanatics and used civilians, Men, Women and children. I say we Grind them to dust. Enough is enough. Send 'em to hell.

654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 32.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo