Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on the WTC Disaster (Updated)

Of course this is not game related (we do not expect to be doing any further game coverage today), but with the legit news sites being almost impossible to access at times today, we've been getting loads of requests for more information about what's been going on. Here is the latest as of about 9:00 PM EDT:

• President Bush addressed the nation 8:30 PM EDT. Here's a wire report: WASHINGTON (AP) - A grim-faced President Bush condemned ghastly attacks in Washington and New York on Tuesday and vowed to "find those responsible and bring them to justice." In the second Oval Office address of his presidency, Bush said the United States would retaliate against ``those behind these evil acts,'' and any country that harbors them.

To recap:

• In two separate attacks, hijacked planes struck both main towers of the World Trade Center in Manhattan this morning, and both of the "twin towers" subsequently collapsed.
  • A hijacked plane struck the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and part of it has collapsed as well.
  • A hijacked plane crashed in western Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Reports indicate the hijackers planned to crash this plane into Camp David in Maryland.
  • 47 Story WTC building seven, one of the five (relatively) smaller buildings in the World Trade Center also later collapsed from ancillary damage.
  • The White House, the Pentagon, and the Capitol Building were all evacuated, all domestic flights in the US have been grounded through at least noon tomorrow.
  • Other closings include most federal offices, the stock markets, the Disney theme parks, and the cancellation of today's Major League Baseball schedule. The President's speech announced that all federal agencies will be open for business tomorrow.
  • Broadcasts out of Afghanistan showed evidence of missile attacks and antiaircraft fire, but what connection this has to today's apparent terrorist attacks in the US is not clear at this point. The US has denied involvement in these attacks.
  • In the first hints of any sort at the scope of casualties, the New York City Fire Department has estimated that as many as half of the 400 firefighters dispatched to the scene are missing. CNN has said that 78 Police officers are missing. Also, the death toll from those on the four hijacked planes has been placed at 266. The number of dead and injured at the Pentagon has been widely reported as about 100. No estimates of the number of victims from the World Trade Center have been made.
  • People throughout the United States have are being urged to donate blood to help offset significant shortages in New York and Washington. The American Red Cross in Greater New York or the American Red Cross are places to contact about donating blood or money, or both.
  • Some news sites seem to be back online. Here are some links that have been more reliable: CNN.com; CNET.com; Yahoo; The New York Times; washingtonpost.com; usnews.com; ABCNEWS.com; FOXNews.com; MSNBC; and BBC News Online.

All of our thoughts go out to the victims of these attacks and their families and friends in what must be an incredibly difficult time.

View
654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

74. Re: What's going on? Sep 11, 2001, 12:17 anon@212.46

of course, an eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth!
but in youre case it's an eye for a fingernail

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. photos Sep 11, 2001, 12:16 anon@204.73

www.startribune.com out of Minneapolis, MN has some photos. Looks like they've shut everything on their site down except news about the disaster.

this is so sad and scary.

72. Re: What's going on? Sep 11, 2001, 12:16 KaRRiLLioN

More like retaliate against those who attack us. You people obviously would just sit back and let your neighbors be slaughtered and say "oh, what a shame. But live and let live, that's what I say!" and feel all warm and fuzzy inside. It's the terrorists who obviously kill everyone they can if they don't like them. The US has typically gone by the law in these matters with a few exceptions, like Clinton trying to distract ppl from his affair with his intern. I think that perhaps it's time we flex our military muscle a bit at those countries who harbor these criminals.

As for the Lion analogy, if you don't understand it, or think it's funny, then you're obviously somewhat inept at grasping certain things or perhaps jealous of the US. Basically I think that's what fuels some of these lame responses.

71. Re: Dead Cow Sep 11, 2001, 12:16 AnarKane

It's an old numerology code that breaks names down into single digit numbers.

"The devil is in all of you!" - Rob Zombie, "Demonoid Phenomenon"

"We can do this one of two ways. There's the hard way, which involves hours of discussion, tons of negotiation, half a dozen bribes, and no guarantee of success."
"What's the easy way?"
"Liberally placed high explosives."

70. Re: This changes nothing Sep 11, 2001, 12:15 anon@207.75

43: If you break into the cockpit and yank the pilot out of his seat mid-flight, it takes someone with very little flight experience to turn it enough to hit a building thanks to the amazing computer systems onboard. Taking off and landing is a bitch, flying once you are all good and cozy in the air is steering for the most part. (What my airline pilot cousin who is thankfully on vacation is saying anyway)  

69. Re: AnarKane Sep 11, 2001, 12:14 anon@62.159

"Of course the ridiculousness of this is mirrored in other countries as well. Just look at Northern Ireland. Those Protestants and Catholics there are some of the most dangerous, crazy, moronic and downright mean people when it comes to ignorance about their neighbors. Or perhaps it's familiarity...after all it too breeds contempt."

KaRRiLLioN, I think you may be the stupidest person I have ever encountered on the net. Have you ever been outside of kansas or whatever other fucked up backwater you come from?

68. Re: What's going on? Sep 11, 2001, 12:14 anon@212.46

oh, and btw, ROFL!  

67. Re: What's going on? Sep 11, 2001, 12:13 Cyrezar

No. Kill everyone who hijacks planes with 300 or so civilians and rams them into the centers of commerce where 50000 or so people work and the Pentagon. Oh wait, technically your right, we do 'dislike' them.

"They that would give up freedom to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither freedom nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin

66. Re: Websites for news that still work? Sep 11, 2001, 12:13 anon@12.25

Chicago Sun Times (http://www.suntimes.com/) still motors along pretty speedily if anyone's looking for internet updates.  

65. US reaction Sep 11, 2001, 12:11 Tony Z

As we can already see from some of the reaction posted below, the US's response to this is very important. If this isn't handled carefully, the results could be as or even more catastophic than the attacks themselves. We've bitched in these forums before about suppression of American freedoms, just wait and see what happens now that they have a reason.

Please everyone, keep your wits about you,

--------------
Tony Zahn
Sofware Engineer, Achievement Technologies Inc.
Go Blue!

--------------
Go Blue!

64. Martial Law Sep 11, 2001, 12:10 anon@207.90

Anyone think NY will be put under Martial Law?  

63. Re: What's going on? Sep 11, 2001, 12:10 anon@212.46

yeah, kill everyone you dislike, that's the american way right?  

62. Re: shocking Sep 11, 2001, 12:09 anon@62.159

"First one for me was Princess Diana car crash, this is the second. "

You're equating the death of possibbly over 10,000 people with the admittedly unfortunate death of one person??

What scares me is the typical gung-ho attitude displayed by many of the people on this site. "let's nuke 'em, Fuck the civilian casualties"

I guess that's pretty much what whoever planned these attacks said.

A Lion may look big and fearsome.... give me a break. If it wasn't such a tragedy I would be laughing at you. As it is I'm shocked and saddened that something like this still happens in the 21st century.

61. What a Mess.... Sep 11, 2001, 12:04 anon@216.136

I Pray for all who have been hurt / killed in this.

60. Re: This changes nothing Sep 11, 2001, 12:04 c r i s p y

RE: 43.

This is what tweaked my curiousity. There is NO way that you could order a pilot to intentionally crash into the WTC let alone into a SPECIFIC tower. These flights were completely under the control of the terrorists (and I mean that in the plural sense).

---

Ss.

---
Chris.

59. Re: AnarKane Sep 11, 2001, 12:04 KaRRiLLioN

#50, I would recommend that you catch the first plane flight out of there, but judging from the way planes are being used today that might be a dangerous proposition. What part of the Middle East are you in? I'm not saying that every country there is filled to the brim with frothing madmen, but it sure isn't an area that I, as a US citizen would want to visit.

Of course the ridiculousness of this is mirrored in other countries as well. Just look at Northern Ireland. Those Protestants and Catholics there are some of the most dangerous, crazy, moronic and downright mean people when it comes to ignorance about their neighbors. Or perhaps it's familiarity...after all it too breeds contempt.

58. Shaken, Angry and Afraid Sep 11, 2001, 12:02 anon@217.88

watching this from over here in germany on cnn live, i am truly shaken, all my hopes and wishes go to those involved. right now three friemds of mine are in ny.
sadly i feel mixed up over the hatred these pictures stir in my heart and the rationale that tells me that war and killing and countermessures on a big scale might be wrong and as vicious as the terrorists.

57. odd Sep 11, 2001, 12:02 anon@207.75

anyone else notice that the add on the top of the page reads 'terrorists abound...at UGO.' I think we have our suspects.  

56. Re: WTC Sep 11, 2001, 12:02 anon@212.135

42:::
Yeah, and 911 is the number of the US emergency services,
and 911 is the name of a boy band,
and 911 is the number of sheep in the field across the road from me...

Are they all involved as well, a massive worldwide conspiracy involving the US emergency services, my sheep and masterminded and a bunch of puffs in a band...

YOU SPAZ

55. Re: What's going on? Sep 11, 2001, 12:00 anon@216.54

You prevent it by killing EVERY SINGLE Bastard who was involved, no matter how long it takes or how much it costs. That's it. You can't stop a thing like this from occurring unless you accede to all their demands regardless of what it is. Those are the only two choices.  

654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 30.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo