Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on the WTC Disaster (Updated)

Of course this is not game related (we do not expect to be doing any further game coverage today), but with the legit news sites being almost impossible to access at times today, we've been getting loads of requests for more information about what's been going on. Here is the latest as of about 9:00 PM EDT:

• President Bush addressed the nation 8:30 PM EDT. Here's a wire report: WASHINGTON (AP) - A grim-faced President Bush condemned ghastly attacks in Washington and New York on Tuesday and vowed to "find those responsible and bring them to justice." In the second Oval Office address of his presidency, Bush said the United States would retaliate against ``those behind these evil acts,'' and any country that harbors them.

To recap:

• In two separate attacks, hijacked planes struck both main towers of the World Trade Center in Manhattan this morning, and both of the "twin towers" subsequently collapsed.
  • A hijacked plane struck the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and part of it has collapsed as well.
  • A hijacked plane crashed in western Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Reports indicate the hijackers planned to crash this plane into Camp David in Maryland.
  • 47 Story WTC building seven, one of the five (relatively) smaller buildings in the World Trade Center also later collapsed from ancillary damage.
  • The White House, the Pentagon, and the Capitol Building were all evacuated, all domestic flights in the US have been grounded through at least noon tomorrow.
  • Other closings include most federal offices, the stock markets, the Disney theme parks, and the cancellation of today's Major League Baseball schedule. The President's speech announced that all federal agencies will be open for business tomorrow.
  • Broadcasts out of Afghanistan showed evidence of missile attacks and antiaircraft fire, but what connection this has to today's apparent terrorist attacks in the US is not clear at this point. The US has denied involvement in these attacks.
  • In the first hints of any sort at the scope of casualties, the New York City Fire Department has estimated that as many as half of the 400 firefighters dispatched to the scene are missing. CNN has said that 78 Police officers are missing. Also, the death toll from those on the four hijacked planes has been placed at 266. The number of dead and injured at the Pentagon has been widely reported as about 100. No estimates of the number of victims from the World Trade Center have been made.
  • People throughout the United States have are being urged to donate blood to help offset significant shortages in New York and Washington. The American Red Cross in Greater New York or the American Red Cross are places to contact about donating blood or money, or both.
  • Some news sites seem to be back online. Here are some links that have been more reliable: CNN.com; CNET.com; Yahoo; The New York Times; washingtonpost.com; usnews.com; ABCNEWS.com; FOXNews.com; MSNBC; and BBC News Online.

All of our thoughts go out to the victims of these attacks and their families and friends in what must be an incredibly difficult time.

View
654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

94. Re: bitching Sep 11, 2001, 12:40 KaRRiLLioN

Man, I just managed to hit all of your wrong buttons. Ah well, it's one of those days, sorry.

Like I've said, I don't blame everyone in those countries. When I see catholic schoolgirls being threatened by mobs just because they want to use the door to their school that is closer to the protestant neighborhood, it just seems senseless to me. I read a lot of news and try to keep abreast of what happens, and as a side effect, I am somewhat opinionated about certain events, especially when it's my own back yard that is being bombed.

My wife is Russian, and one of my degrees was a BA in German; therefore I take great interest in international affairs and I don't want to start the 3rd world war. I just think that retaliation is justified and necessary.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

93. Re: What's going on? Sep 11, 2001, 12:39 anon@212.46

oh, just one more thing, LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

yes, you are all very silly, and just prove that human evolution stopped the day we stopped living in caves.
now let me look at my list it's nearly finished
war - check
famine - check
pestilance - check
death - let me see...

92. Just Glad Your Ok. Sep 11, 2001, 12:37 AndyGus

After waking up to Howard Stern and NOT hearing him talk about naked women, I knew something was terribly wrong.
I dont have any family in NY, but I know Blue lives there. I am relieved to know that you are alright.

My Heart and Prayers go out to all affected by this tradegy.
~Andy Gustafson

91. Re: Does anyone else... Sep 11, 2001, 12:33 shul

I want to offer my sympathy and horror

shul is saddened

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 12:36.

90. Re: Stories like this... Sep 11, 2001, 12:33 anon@205.139

#80 I agree with you but would that make us any better then they? To see children celebrating the death of thousands of inocineate people is more disturbing then anything else I have ever seen. This my friends is a great example of humanity hitting an all time low....I hope to never have to face the pain of an event like this again. I will continue to pray for the people who lost their lives, and the families that have been destroyed.

Rogue3675
Mike

89. bitching Sep 11, 2001, 12:33 anon@194.205

can we stop tearing each other to pieces over this and keep this channel clear for news about the disaster please? i can understand where everyone's coming from with the finger-pointing and the lynch-mob mentality (me and karillion have gotten off to a bad start, first with him condemning the middle east where i am currently living, then with him trying to make a sweeping judgement about the war in ireland, and yes i'm irish too) - but please. can't we just post the news here and argue somewhere else?  

88. Re: No subject Sep 11, 2001, 12:32 anon@212.46

very true, but the funny thing is that a war isn't started by prophecy, it's started by ppl on this chat board sying let's nuke isreal, right now!  

87. more planes Sep 11, 2001, 12:32 anon@217.36

update, American Airlines are 'extremely concerned' about a 5th plane, a flight from Boston -> L.A.
I'm scared....

86. What is all the fuzz about... Sep 11, 2001, 12:32 anon@217.215

US sux.
did u know that about >25 million< ppl die in aids....
this is just >shit< compared to >>Ebola, aids and TBC<<

ppl dying, is good cause
it keeps the population down...
we dont want to overpopulate the earth(LOL)

ps.

this shows how FRAGILE US is...!
americans think they are the best...
HEY DUDE YOU'RE NOT!.duh...

btw.

crybabies!

85. Destroy Syria Sep 11, 2001, 12:29 anon@24.176

<From Foxnews.com>
The Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP) broke away from the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP), another Marxist-Leninist group founded in 1967 by George Habash. The PFLP committed numerous international terrorist attacks during the 1970s. Since 1978, it has conducted attacks against Israeli or moderate Arab targets. With a membership of 800, the PFLP receives safehaven and some logistic assistance from Syria.

September also marks the anniversary of several noted political events and terrorist attacks.

On September 6, 1970, three planes from TWA, Swissair and BOAC carrying more than 400 hostages were hijacked and ordered to the Jordanian airport by the PFLP, in what is known as "Skyjack Sunday." Another terrorist team tried to hijack an El Al Boeing over London but security staff foiled the attempt and captured one of the hijackers, Leila Khalid, alive. The German, Swiss and British Governments all agreed to the PFLP's demands and released a number of terrorists, including Khalid, held in their jails.

On September 28, 2000, the eve of Rosh Hashanah (the Jewish New Year), Ariel Sharon, then leader of the opposition right-wing Likud party, visited the Temple Mount in the Old City of Jerusalem. Sharon, accompanied by an entourage of security officers, claimed he was exercising his right to visit the Mount, but his visit angered many Arabs, both Israeli and Palestinian. The day after the visit saw the beginning of what is known as the Al-Aqsa Intifada.

84. Re: What's going on? Sep 11, 2001, 12:28 anon@212.46

I just said u deserved it I didn't come up with the lion analogy. you fat nuke laden bastard  

83. Re:numbers! Sep 11, 2001, 12:28 anon@217.36

Also intersting that the post mentioning numbers was post number 42!!! (ok, so I'm a hitchiker freak)
The speak of terrorism and NI, just wanted to mention that much of the IRA has been (in the past) funded by Americans who felt they had some link with Ireland!?!? It's only recently that much of the US has woken up to terrorism and many forget that they have been funding it in other countries. Anyhow I digress...
The major problem that there's gonna be is retaliation and a mass cycle of devistation, this is not good. The only thing tha gun-toting causes is death, and _that_ is the real problem. There are fanatics everywhere, whether they are muslim and do it in the name of Allah or americnas and do it in the name of freedom, it doesn't matter. What matters is ppl are being killed for no real reason.
For news http://www.reuters.com/ has some stuff. You could also try http://www.bbc.co.uk/

82. Re: US reaction Sep 11, 2001, 12:27 The Sentinel

There won't be martial law in NYC, there won't be a need for it. The attacks did not originate from there and the chaos going on in downtown Manhattan will subside somewhat over the next few hours.

One of the airlines stated they have a brief audio clip from one of the hijackers just before it crashed into one of the buildings.

81. Re: What's going on? Sep 11, 2001, 12:26 anon@63.206

Why are a lot of people assuming these events have been masterminded by Middle Eastern terrorists? I don't have access to tv or radio now, but it seems that the suspects haven't been confirmed yet. Remember the Timothy McVey bombing? Everyone thought the same thing at the time before he was caught. Let's all calm down and see the results before anyone starts pointing any fingers.  

80. Stories like this... Sep 11, 2001, 12:25 Dead_Cow

...make me sick

http://www.suntimes.com/bomb/meast.html

"chanting "God is Great" and distributing candy to passers-by"

People are sick. I'm sorry to drop to their mentality, but countries that celebrate a tradgey like this deserve to be punished. As an act of war? Probably not. As a covert attack that the US denies, just as this is not being taken responsibility for? Most definately.

79. Re: Does anyone else... Sep 11, 2001, 12:25 shul

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 12:32.

78. No subject Sep 11, 2001, 12:23 anon@213.65

"In the City of God there will be a great thunder, Two brothers torn apart by Chaos, while the fortress endures, the great leader will succumb" - Nostradamus

AND

"The third big war will begin when the big city is burning" - Nostradamus

Ok... I'm scared now..

77. Re: AnarKane Sep 11, 2001, 12:22 KaRRiLLioN

LOL! #69, of course you would hide in anonymity and make such a comment. Umm, what about my comments do you find so "stupid"? Can you say that what I have said is untrue? Those ppl terrorize each other with senseless acts of violence daily. I suppose however that you might be one of those ppl so you may be reacting out of defense. I'm sorry if I offended your sensibilites since you may very well be one of those rock-throwing morons in that area.

I'm sure that judging from the logic of your response you've won many great awards for proving a point as well.

76. Re: This changes nothing Sep 11, 2001, 12:20 Cyrezar

Arafat horrified by terror attacks;
Palestinians celebrate in streets
NABLUS, West Bank -- Thousands of Palestinians celebrated Tuesday's terror attacks in the United States, chanting "God is Great" and distributing candy to passers-by, even as their leader, Yasser Arafat, said he was horrified.

From Chigaco Sun
Thats the kind of people we are dealing with.

"They that would give up freedom to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither freedom nor safety."--Benjamin Franklin

75. A Bush in the White House Sep 11, 2001, 12:19 anon@24.163

Hey, don't worry, we have a bush in the White House. And everyone knows that bushes like to bomb things.  

654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 29.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo