Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on the WTC Disaster (Updated)

Of course this is not game related (we do not expect to be doing any further game coverage today), but with the legit news sites being almost impossible to access at times today, we've been getting loads of requests for more information about what's been going on. Here is the latest as of about 9:00 PM EDT:

• President Bush addressed the nation 8:30 PM EDT. Here's a wire report: WASHINGTON (AP) - A grim-faced President Bush condemned ghastly attacks in Washington and New York on Tuesday and vowed to "find those responsible and bring them to justice." In the second Oval Office address of his presidency, Bush said the United States would retaliate against ``those behind these evil acts,'' and any country that harbors them.

To recap:

• In two separate attacks, hijacked planes struck both main towers of the World Trade Center in Manhattan this morning, and both of the "twin towers" subsequently collapsed.
  • A hijacked plane struck the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and part of it has collapsed as well.
  • A hijacked plane crashed in western Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Reports indicate the hijackers planned to crash this plane into Camp David in Maryland.
  • 47 Story WTC building seven, one of the five (relatively) smaller buildings in the World Trade Center also later collapsed from ancillary damage.
  • The White House, the Pentagon, and the Capitol Building were all evacuated, all domestic flights in the US have been grounded through at least noon tomorrow.
  • Other closings include most federal offices, the stock markets, the Disney theme parks, and the cancellation of today's Major League Baseball schedule. The President's speech announced that all federal agencies will be open for business tomorrow.
  • Broadcasts out of Afghanistan showed evidence of missile attacks and antiaircraft fire, but what connection this has to today's apparent terrorist attacks in the US is not clear at this point. The US has denied involvement in these attacks.
  • In the first hints of any sort at the scope of casualties, the New York City Fire Department has estimated that as many as half of the 400 firefighters dispatched to the scene are missing. CNN has said that 78 Police officers are missing. Also, the death toll from those on the four hijacked planes has been placed at 266. The number of dead and injured at the Pentagon has been widely reported as about 100. No estimates of the number of victims from the World Trade Center have been made.
  • People throughout the United States have are being urged to donate blood to help offset significant shortages in New York and Washington. The American Red Cross in Greater New York or the American Red Cross are places to contact about donating blood or money, or both.
  • Some news sites seem to be back online. Here are some links that have been more reliable: CNN.com; CNET.com; Yahoo; The New York Times; washingtonpost.com; usnews.com; ABCNEWS.com; FOXNews.com; MSNBC; and BBC News Online.

All of our thoughts go out to the victims of these attacks and their families and friends in what must be an incredibly difficult time.

View
654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

154. Re: To post a famous quote: Sep 11, 2001, 15:15 anon@64.1

Wasn't that actually from the Revolutionary War? Didn't it come out of the swamps of the South (LA or thereabouts)? I hope Bush doesn't react like that. Retaliation is a necessity and inevitable...however, rash words and actions are NOT the answer.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

153. Re: War? Sep 11, 2001, 15:14 anon@209.18

I think that this act must be punished by any means possible. F*** Afghanistan and all these goddamn terrorists. We need to show the world that we won't take this kind of shit anymore.
/

152. Re: To post a famous quote: Sep 11, 2001, 15:14 anon@192.223

Actually Don't Tread on Me was coined during the revolutionary war. But I agree with your sentiment. I want RESTITUTION.

This is worse than Pearl Harbor because it involved civilians.

Blue - I hope all is well with your family.. You're in the NYC area, aren't you?

151. Re: Nostradamus BS Sep 11, 2001, 15:09 anon@66.1

That towers thing is something that some guy made up to debunk prophecy by showing that you can apply it to anything

it's about halfway down the page:

"How does this apply to Nostradamus? Well I will show you...

If I make say a thousand prophecies that are fairly abstract for example:

In the City of God there will be a great thunder, Two brothers torn apart by Chaos, while the fortress endures, the great leader will succumb

"
http://www.ed.brocku.ca/~nmarshal/nostradamus.htm

150. To post a famous quote: Sep 11, 2001, 15:09 anon@206.19

"Don't tread on me!"
First coined during WW2 I believe. Never has a phrase all of a sudden meant so much for me. I would love to see Bush get in front of a TV camera put on his meanest, most pissed off face and tell the terrorists to "BRING IT ON! We will find you and we will kill you!"
Last time some one did this much damage to the US we wound up flattening an entire city with a little thing called an A-Bomb.

149. omg Sep 11, 2001, 15:06 anon@164.119

this is come crazy stuff goin on...
it's a horrible day to have a birthday i guess

ps thanks to all you guys from other countries for giving us support. it makes me feel a little better to know not EVERY country hates us.

baron

148. Re: You crazy foreigners! Sep 11, 2001, 15:02 Judas

I am a "Crazy Foreigner", and I feel that a retalliation needs to happen. I don't think that something of this magnitude can happen without some sort of retaliation. If the USA decides to not retaliate, there would be free reign on more attacks on the USA. What should be done, I've got no idea. How the US can attack a bunch of terrorists inside the boundaries of a country would not be a very good idea, and would probably spark a large war of sorts. I hate violence, and today is definitely going to go down in History as the start of something. Well, I'm confused and not thinking straight, but that's what I think I think.

John Hodgskiss

Supporter of the "A happy fredster is a muted fredster" fanclub.

147. Nostradamus BS Sep 11, 2001, 15:00 anon@207.245

I would like to quell concerns about Nostradamus predictions (Quatrains) that have been posted similar to:
"Towers falling apart in the City of God"
"WW3 will start when the big city is burning"
blah blah..

This is all BS! There is NOTHING in Nostradamus' predictions that mentions anything even CLOSE to this.
Search for yourself @
http://www.nostradamus-repository.org/search/index.htm

WW3 is not starting; the world is not coming to an end. Pea brained and poorly educated people are spreading this complete BS because of ignorance or boredom.

Don't think another thing about this, let’s just pray for the people who lost their lives and give hope to their devastated families.

God help who was responsible, GWB will make them pay….

Peace..

146. Another site to check this out Sep 11, 2001, 14:55 anon@204.228

If you need another place to check this stuff out, I've been surfing all over the net while I can at school. Heres my site:
www.planetplanetside.com
or
www.3dap.com/planetside

~Kyzervexus

145. Re: It's the end of the world as we know it. Sep 11, 2001, 14:54 anon@217.5

"where exactly can i find the writings of Nostradamus?"

I would suggest the Bible.

144. Re: Incomprehensible Sep 11, 2001, 14:52 anon@134.226

Possibly the most difficult thing to comprehend in all of this...how can literally thousands of Palestinians in the now occuppied West Bank be literally celebrating this tragedy, this huge loss of life? How can they cheer, pass out candy and honk their horns at what has happened? I put my head in my hands and weep for the people who have been affected by this terrible tragedy and for the future (or lack thereof) of our world.

Not saying I agree with it at all (I don't)... but here is their arguement:
The United States have funded Sharon and the Isrealites with military hardware, with which he has committed acts of war against civilians. Therefore, US=evil, therefore we are are happy that someone has hurt them so badly.

I can't say I'm the greatest fan of the USs involvement in the middle east, but that sort of gloating is nothing short of sick. I pray that those responsible for organizing this are brought to justice, and that no more innocent lives are lost on either side of the divide.

143. You crazy foreigners! Sep 11, 2001, 14:50 indiv

You always freak out when an American isn't thinking about you ("AMERICA ISN'T THE ONLY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!@#!").

You get upset when some Americans have thoughts of revenge after a terrible tragedy, as if your country wouldn't feel the same.

You assume that America is going to be irrational, because a bunch of teenagers on a gaming web site say things like "nuke 'em!". Judging the whole of America, or more importantly the response of American leaders, by immature teens... that's just brilliant (sarcasm).

It's ok to fear for the future--to fear an irrational response--but to assume that the US response will trigger the end of the world is pretty far out there.

You foreigners are all weird.

And all generalizations are wrong (including this one).

edit:
Fixed a spelling mistake.
Oh yeah, and this act of terrorism sucks. I can't even fathom the thoughts of the people on those planes or even of the terrorists as they flew them into the towers. It's so surreal.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 14:54.

142. Insane Sep 11, 2001, 14:47 Flo

I'm from Germany and I can't find appropriate words for what I've seen today. I can only say that germany is totally on your side and will support the US in any way. For me this is the beginning of a war, but not a "normal" war. This is not like 2 parties clashing and duking it out on the battlefield. This is a war, where suicide attacks can happen anywhere, where nothing is safe. Our european countries also have to fear such attacks in the future, since we stated our support for the USA but you can count on us, even though we might not have the same military potential.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

141. Our condolences from Germany Sep 11, 2001, 14:44 anon@217.2

We grieve in these heavy hours with you.

Someone willpay dearly for this.

140. Re: It's the end of the world as we know it. Sep 11, 2001, 14:43 Kryten

where exactly can i find the writings of Nostradamus?

139. Re: Honestly Sep 11, 2001, 14:41 Madrox

I hear you, shul. Then again, I for some reason I can't help but think about the beginnings of WW1.

Of course, the best solution would be for this to never have happened. I'm not trying to be pacifist, but I'm a firm believer in doing things for the right reason.

138. NYC Disaster Sep 11, 2001, 14:40 anon@64.30

"In the City of God there will be a great thunder, Two brothers torn apart by Chaos, while the fortress endures, the great leader will succumb"
"The third big war will begin when the big city is burning"

Hmm this is disturbing, you could say the City of God is in the middle east striking out at us, the two brothers the two buildings at the World Trade Center, the fortress is the Pentagon, the great leader will succumb not sure but it could be the prez pressing for payment....

But then for this i think we need to do sumthing that repays this act 10 fold, i think we need to do somethng that is worse to whoever harbors this freaks and to the people that did it so that to give pause to anyone that would attempt them in the future and to any country that would harbor these freaks, i say kill em all and let god sort em out..

-Jarod "Jester" Johnson

137. Re: It's the end of the world as we know it. Sep 11, 2001, 14:39 anon@198.182

"How do you justify New York being "the City of God"?"

Maybe New York is the city of god because commerce is our de facto god?

136. Incomprehensible Sep 11, 2001, 14:35 anon@64.1

Possibly the most difficult thing to comprehend in all of this...how can literally thousands of Palestinians in the now occuppied West Bank be literally celebrating this tragedy, this huge loss of life? How can they cheer, pass out candy and honk their horns at what has happened? I put my head in my hands and weep for the people who have been affected by this terrible tragedy and for the future (or lack thereof) of our world.  

135. Re: the real problem is Sep 11, 2001, 14:34 Matt King

Couldn't help but to post....
This isn't about religon, this isn't about Israel, it is about terror. Hence the term terrorist. The agenda of those who hate the US is wide ranging. They use terror tactics to cause chaos, unrest and fear. Isolationism is NOT the answer. We cannot hide our heads under our pillows and hope that the world will go away. If we do so then the terrorists will have won.

A measured, careful and justified response is necessary. I can only hope that it will be done properly. Bringing the architects of mass murder to justice is the goal, random acts of fury, while immediately satisfying, are not viable options. We must focus our anger, hold on to the principles of freedom and our way of life and bring the perpetrators to heel.

my 2 cents

Bad Server! No! I said sit!

654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 26.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo