Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on the WTC Disaster (Updated)

Of course this is not game related (we do not expect to be doing any further game coverage today), but with the legit news sites being almost impossible to access at times today, we've been getting loads of requests for more information about what's been going on. Here is the latest as of about 9:00 PM EDT:

• President Bush addressed the nation 8:30 PM EDT. Here's a wire report: WASHINGTON (AP) - A grim-faced President Bush condemned ghastly attacks in Washington and New York on Tuesday and vowed to "find those responsible and bring them to justice." In the second Oval Office address of his presidency, Bush said the United States would retaliate against ``those behind these evil acts,'' and any country that harbors them.

To recap:

• In two separate attacks, hijacked planes struck both main towers of the World Trade Center in Manhattan this morning, and both of the "twin towers" subsequently collapsed.
  • A hijacked plane struck the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and part of it has collapsed as well.
  • A hijacked plane crashed in western Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Reports indicate the hijackers planned to crash this plane into Camp David in Maryland.
  • 47 Story WTC building seven, one of the five (relatively) smaller buildings in the World Trade Center also later collapsed from ancillary damage.
  • The White House, the Pentagon, and the Capitol Building were all evacuated, all domestic flights in the US have been grounded through at least noon tomorrow.
  • Other closings include most federal offices, the stock markets, the Disney theme parks, and the cancellation of today's Major League Baseball schedule. The President's speech announced that all federal agencies will be open for business tomorrow.
  • Broadcasts out of Afghanistan showed evidence of missile attacks and antiaircraft fire, but what connection this has to today's apparent terrorist attacks in the US is not clear at this point. The US has denied involvement in these attacks.
  • In the first hints of any sort at the scope of casualties, the New York City Fire Department has estimated that as many as half of the 400 firefighters dispatched to the scene are missing. CNN has said that 78 Police officers are missing. Also, the death toll from those on the four hijacked planes has been placed at 266. The number of dead and injured at the Pentagon has been widely reported as about 100. No estimates of the number of victims from the World Trade Center have been made.
  • People throughout the United States have are being urged to donate blood to help offset significant shortages in New York and Washington. The American Red Cross in Greater New York or the American Red Cross are places to contact about donating blood or money, or both.
  • Some news sites seem to be back online. Here are some links that have been more reliable: CNN.com; CNET.com; Yahoo; The New York Times; washingtonpost.com; usnews.com; ABCNEWS.com; FOXNews.com; MSNBC; and BBC News Online.

All of our thoughts go out to the victims of these attacks and their families and friends in what must be an incredibly difficult time.

View
654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

194. Japan Sep 11, 2001, 16:43 anon@24.16

People shouldn't put forward their beliefs on historical events without the knowledge of history to back it up. The United States did exactly what it had to do to make Japan surrender. If they had stopped to worry about killing all the innocent Japanese citizens, it would have been those citizens invading the west coast.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

193. Re: To post a famous quote: Sep 11, 2001, 16:43 anon@64.222

Looking at your posts, you'd think America was responsible for obvious shitty childhood, your alcoholic father, and your philandering mother.

Brush up on your history before posting. The US practiced isolationism before being PUSHED into the war by JAPAN.

They hit first. We hit BACK. FYI, if America hadn't gotten involved in WWII, you might very well be living under the 1000 year Nazi Reich.

While I don't condone carpet bombing, to imply that Japan was a innocent victim in WWII is nonsense.

I'm so freaking sick of America being blamed for the world's problems. We've sat here and been dragged into two World Wars in Europe when we wanted PEACE. We've provided foreign aid to COUNTLESS countries, most all of which will never be paid back. The list goes on and on.

But just keep hating America...I don't really give f*ck. The dumbazz dickheads in the Middle East will keep killing each other and I'll sit here enjoying a beer watching it on the news.

Ever stop to think why no other country can't get it together to enjoy the comforts we Americans do is bc they can't stop fighting long enough??

Americans are a peacable people, but we don't like getting F*cked with...period. When some collection of azzholes brings down the 2nd tallest buildings in our country, ALOT of Americans are going to get pissed. And why wouldn't they??? I live hours away from NYC...what if the terrorists had used nuclear weapons (which isn't that unplausable given today's events)? My family and I would be fubared. So, if some fugging azzhole wants to F*ck with my family and my country and they can pay. I don't give a flying rat's azz about yours....I care about mine and my countrymen's.

Go stick a nuke up your azz and do me a favor you lame f*ck.

192. ...into the abyss... Sep 11, 2001, 16:42 Lord Dakushna

Whoever perpetrated this event must have known the magnitude with which they were striking and as such must also have known that the United States and the world community would seek retribution; that their actions would be in fact suicidal for their entire organization. So what I wonder is whether this is indeed a suicidal assault by an entire group or an open call to war and if a call to war, how prepared are they?

Terrorists are a tricky enemy. Like the conflict in Vietnam a war against terrorists would have no front lines and the battlefield would be global and involve military personnel and civilians alike. And while the chances are slim the possibility of nuclear devices being used is scrary to say the least.

Its shameful the attrocities that people commit against their fellow man in pursuit of power and religion indignation. Thats really all there is to say about it.

-Brian J. Audette
Unemployed Game Designer
will work for ph@t l00t

---------------------------------------
Lord Dakushna

"Laugh while you can Monkey Boy!" - John Lithgow in Buckaroo Bonzai

191. Answer for All Problems Sep 11, 2001, 16:41 F1

Don't Laugh...

If you really really think hard about it. Everything on this Planets and it's future, YES! including yours. It all can be traced back to 1 eroding word in this world.

~EDUCATION~

EDUCATION now a days seems to be less and less "un-cool" to becoming a smarter and better person. I guess joining a gang or a terrist group would be easier and much "cooler."

Also the word WORK seems to be a bad word... why? if you don't like what you do change it, quit giving into and allowing stupid people control of your life and this world.

Which reminds me about another word.

~FREEDOM~
=) GBA

~ForGoTTeN OnE~

190. Fuck this... Sep 11, 2001, 16:41 CrunchTime

I pray to all the victims of this tradgity as we can only move on from here... a horrible tradgity indeed in which we will all remember where we were when we first heard the news. Right now, i can't imagine how NYC will get over this...

189. Wear a band of black Sep 11, 2001, 16:39 anon@24.13

I urge us all to wear a band of black around the arm untill those responsible are brought to justice, be it a court or at the end of a bayonet.  

188. No subject Sep 11, 2001, 16:38 anon@24.18

ask any person alive during the time just prior to WW2 and they'll tell you how wonderful the Japanese were. They enslaved China and Korea by addicting millions to narcotics (opium) and working them until they died of starvation. Pictures of Pearl Harbor were cleaned up for the meadia, what you DIDN't see in history books was the bodies of GI's AND civilians stacked like cordwood outside Pearl Harbor hospitals. Japan has no right to stand in judgment of anyone and if you're going to defend them you better get your facts in places other than ultra-liberal history revisionists who feel we should be a nation of apologists.  

187. Re: To post a famous quote: Sep 11, 2001, 16:34 anon@129.42

My post #185 was targeted at #160 by the way.  

186. Re: To post a famous quote: Sep 11, 2001, 16:32 anon@192.62

Yea just like the Japs did to the Chinese......killed civilians.

And the Japs where NOT 2 weeks away from surrending, they where preapring for an invasion, which would have cost tens of thousands of American lives. Time for you to do a little bit of research. Moron

185. Re: To post a famous quote: Sep 11, 2001, 16:28 anon@129.42

You are an idiot. Let me reveal why:

>Last time some one did this much damage to the US we wound up flattening an entire city with a little thing called an A-Bomb.

Yeah... killing thousands of innocent people and leaving hundreds of thousands suffering from it up to today despite the fact that Japan was in no condition to continue the war. And because that was not enough there was a second A-Bomb, just to be sure that this damned thing works, I presume.

Wrong. Japan was offered a chance to surrender after Hiroshima was bombed. Not accepting surrender, the second bomb was dropped onto Nagasaki. It was NOT dropped just "to be sure the damned thing works".

And Japan was perfectly capable of continuing the war - it was decided in USA that the war effort versus Japan would still take a while and cost numerous American lives; thus the decision to bomb Hiroshima to coerce Japan to surrender.

Remember, asshole, that Japan attacked the United States FIRST without any provocation; we just happened to finish it, so your argument that the United States of America is "responsible" for the deaths of Japanese citizens is sheer bullshit - if Japan was so damn concerned for its own people then it shouldn't have stirred up any shit with the United States.

And, most Americans who are religious don't hold the same type of Islamic insanity spewed by terrorists such as these. We don't raise our children telling them that their greatest goal in life is to perform a cowardly sucide mission against their enemies' civilian population and thus be guaranteed a place in Heaven. That is just sickness.

184. Re: To post a famous quote: Sep 11, 2001, 16:26 Gojo

"Japan was about 2 weeks away from surrender"
Ok, no more name calling.
But you need to study your history. Japan was training it's civilians for an invasion. They were nowhere NEAR surrender. Many still did not want to surrender after the bombings.

Am I proud we dropped the bomb first? No. But I believe it saved the most lives.
But we digress....

=-Gojo-=

183. NTC DISASTER! Sep 11, 2001, 16:26 Jester

Welp they got a good lead that that bin lauden fool in Afganastan did this, so i think the best corse of action would be to ask them to fork that fool over and if they refuse to simple invade their country and take him or bomb that crap to the stone age....

-Jarod

182. Re: To post a famous quote: Sep 11, 2001, 16:22 anon@217.5

"The bombing of Japan actually saved lives, especially American lives. Yep, that's right. If we would have had to invade mainland Japan the death toll would have been greater."

I will not call you a moron, but simply put, Japan was about 2 weeks away from surrender, admitted by many who experienced the time. Don't avoid the issue, killing CIVILIANS is murder and a blanket bombing of cilvilian targets is complete insanity. As exactly what happened today was...

181. Re: To post a famous quote: Sep 11, 2001, 16:19 Gojo

"That was not retaliation... it was experimentation. "
And you're a moron.

The bombing of Japan actually saved lives, especially American lives. Yep, that's right. If we would have had to invade mainland Japan the death toll would have been greater.

=-Gojo-=

180. Re: To post a famous quote: Sep 11, 2001, 16:11 anon@217.5

"The abomb was pointless? The Japs deserved it PERIOD."

I felt like metioning how tragic this was in it's time and how guilty the US government at the time was. But in the event of something like today it seemed appropriate to leave it out. Now I read a comment like that above...

All I can say is over 1 million people were killed in those attacks. This is like saying if America bombed some Japanese ships at the time, they could "nuke" somewhere in New York and wipe out a million CIVILIANS for retaliation. Complete and utter insanity. That was not retaliation... it was experimentation.

179. A Day of Infamy Sep 11, 2001, 16:11 anon@24.3

"The Lord will Giveth, and he shall Taketh..." We know what happened, but we don't know why. We know there were casualties, but we don't know how many. We know there is loss, but we know not how much.

Everyone, remember this day. Pass it to the generations that will preceed us. Let them have wisdom, so that they may not folly like we have. Many innocent people died today, to ,as many put it, "a cowardly act of terrorism." We know not who did this, nor do we know why...but the Palestinians dance in the streets this day. Time is like a river, which flows forever. But History repeat's itself...A time of darkness is upon us. Everyone, pray for the victims of this tragedy. I personally know people who will be affeted by this. Friend's fathers won't return home today to talk to their sons. Friend's mothers won't be home to cook tonight's meal.

Plain and simple: People died today...and some bastard's gonna pay for it.

Pray for everyone. Even if you're, Atheist pray. And as the marine's say

Siempre Fi, my brothers, and never cry submission.

178. Re: What is all the fuzz about... Sep 11, 2001, 16:10 shul

I am not an american, and I am appawled by what you wrote. How can you stand looking at yourself in the mirror?

The reason aids, ebola and TBC exist isn't the fault of the US government, I can't see how is that even related.

shul think the crybaby is the who posted #86 in the first place...

177. What comes next... Sep 11, 2001, 16:10 Flogger

Yes this is terrible! I have friends in teh NY area (Bronx though). I see some things happening in the near future.

1. Increased monies going to NSA, CIA, FBI
2. Decreased freedoms
3. Increased monies going to NSA, CIA, FBI
4. Tougher gun/munition laws (K-Mart and Wal-mart in my area quit selling ammunition)
5. Increased monies going to NSA, CIA, FBI
6. FEMA growing in power.
7. Increased monies going to NSA, CIA, FBI
8. Lesser individual freedoms.

It is tough for any society/government to strike a balance between Order/Safety and Chaos/Freedom. I fear that the balance will swing towards Order and Safety at the cost of Freedom.

al
church_al@hotmail.com

176. 10,000 die Sep 11, 2001, 16:02 philihp

so it goes

175. Re: Burn em all - not Sep 11, 2001, 16:02 anon@65.203

I'm all for seeing to the destruction of the groups and the military/political centers of the nations involved in these tragedies. Anon, you say we "get what we order". Whoever started it is no longer the issue -- we will finish it. The US will see these enemies go up in flames and ruin, and I for one, will drink a toast to their destruction.  

654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo