Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on the WTC Disaster (Updated)

Of course this is not game related (we do not expect to be doing any further game coverage today), but with the legit news sites being almost impossible to access at times today, we've been getting loads of requests for more information about what's been going on. Here is the latest as of about 9:00 PM EDT:

• President Bush addressed the nation 8:30 PM EDT. Here's a wire report: WASHINGTON (AP) - A grim-faced President Bush condemned ghastly attacks in Washington and New York on Tuesday and vowed to "find those responsible and bring them to justice." In the second Oval Office address of his presidency, Bush said the United States would retaliate against ``those behind these evil acts,'' and any country that harbors them.

To recap:

• In two separate attacks, hijacked planes struck both main towers of the World Trade Center in Manhattan this morning, and both of the "twin towers" subsequently collapsed.
  • A hijacked plane struck the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and part of it has collapsed as well.
  • A hijacked plane crashed in western Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Reports indicate the hijackers planned to crash this plane into Camp David in Maryland.
  • 47 Story WTC building seven, one of the five (relatively) smaller buildings in the World Trade Center also later collapsed from ancillary damage.
  • The White House, the Pentagon, and the Capitol Building were all evacuated, all domestic flights in the US have been grounded through at least noon tomorrow.
  • Other closings include most federal offices, the stock markets, the Disney theme parks, and the cancellation of today's Major League Baseball schedule. The President's speech announced that all federal agencies will be open for business tomorrow.
  • Broadcasts out of Afghanistan showed evidence of missile attacks and antiaircraft fire, but what connection this has to today's apparent terrorist attacks in the US is not clear at this point. The US has denied involvement in these attacks.
  • In the first hints of any sort at the scope of casualties, the New York City Fire Department has estimated that as many as half of the 400 firefighters dispatched to the scene are missing. CNN has said that 78 Police officers are missing. Also, the death toll from those on the four hijacked planes has been placed at 266. The number of dead and injured at the Pentagon has been widely reported as about 100. No estimates of the number of victims from the World Trade Center have been made.
  • People throughout the United States have are being urged to donate blood to help offset significant shortages in New York and Washington. The American Red Cross in Greater New York or the American Red Cross are places to contact about donating blood or money, or both.
  • Some news sites seem to be back online. Here are some links that have been more reliable: CNN.com; CNET.com; Yahoo; The New York Times; washingtonpost.com; usnews.com; ABCNEWS.com; FOXNews.com; MSNBC; and BBC News Online.

All of our thoughts go out to the victims of these attacks and their families and friends in what must be an incredibly difficult time.

View
654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

614. Re: This War Sep 16, 2001, 14:56 anon@63.128

Thanks for that concise and acurrate summation of what we now face. I'm afraid that those who don't believe what you say are in denial.

BTW, it is irresponsible for the authors of this web page to refer to these events as the WTC Disaster. It encourages the kind of denial I'm speaking of, as if this were the hurricane of the century or some such claptrap. These were terrorist attacks and should be referred to as such.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

613. Re: Hold your horses contd. Sep 16, 2001, 14:11 anon@212.2

I've been living in a hole for the last week. When was this irrifutable evidence that Bin Laden is responsible revealed to the world?  

612. new development Sep 16, 2001, 14:01 anon@216.161

in tucson around 8:00am a 1engine plane crashed near one of the malls  

611. Re: This War Sep 16, 2001, 13:47 anon@24.30

#609: The respect you speak of is the same as fear. Respect for a force that can destroy you is fear. The mutal destruction arangement between Russia and USA is based on the fear.

Don't get me wrong, I acknowledge that the US has done many, many things across the world that are wrong. There are many things in our history, past and recent, that I am not proud of. I have said for years that we are increasing our risk by supporting Isreal in arms. Pulling out of Kyoto and Durban was idiocy, and I was among millions of American's that wrote our senators and congresmen pleading to sit down at the table rather than claim there is no table.

610. Re: Hold your horses contd. Sep 16, 2001, 13:45 anon@195.92

>This group-hug-golden-light-"Can't we all just get along?" crap is exactly that: Crap. It does not work in practical application.

And neither does your suggestion. Take away the playgrounds, and kids just go and find somewhere else to go and play, and they're usually far, far cleverer about it.

If you want to act like the big kid, sure, go ahead - if you do it sensibly. Act like a bully, however, and you'll probably come to a similar end. And to be honest, your comments smack of that self-same brutish na&iuml;vety that lands them in trouble.

609. Re: This War Sep 16, 2001, 13:37 anon@195.156

"Another resolution for this would be for America to bow to the demands of a small group out of fear. If this happens, does anyone actualy expect this small group to stop making demands?"

I believe that everyone, this small group included, understands that any bowing on America's behalf is an action of sane respect, not fear. But since America has been and remains reluctant to give in to any demands whatsoever (on foreign territory I might add), what other means than violence do they have left?

You might also want to take a look in the mirror before patting yourself on the back over your supremacy, for your reactions are no better than their actions.

608. Re: Hold your horses contd. Sep 16, 2001, 12:56 Poohbear

How exactly are you planning to eradicate terrorists?

It's simple. You start by simply stating that terrorism against the United States will be met with complete and utter destruction.

This is stated right before turning Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, and Sudan into the largest pieces of glass on the planet.

The Palestinians are told that any further conflict on the West Bank will result in the same measures.

Terrorists will care, especially if you remove "suitable" locations. Countries should understand that providing a safe haven for these animals is the same as supporting the crimes they commit. By showing that we will deal with these problems, countries will not allow enemies of the United States to hide there, and will begin to weed them out on their own.

We are the big kid on the block, and we need to start acting like it.

This group-hug-golden-light-"Can't we all just get along?" crap is exactly that: Crap. It does not work in practical application.

607. Re: To post a famous quote: Sep 16, 2001, 12:47 anon@146.201

#268 said: "BUT Russia is NOT bombing places it has nothing to do with, and is NOT dictating the "rules of life" to other countries... "

Ok, so the Soviet Union didn't dictate the rules of life to other countries? Please, explain how they DIDN'T. Thanks.

And the reason why you're not bombing is because you can't! You need to help your own country first before you can attack/help others.

606. This War Sep 16, 2001, 11:26 anon@24.30

I think America may know more of the risk than the rest of the world understands. Most of the people I have talked to understand that it is almost inevetable that we will suffer losses equal or greater to the WTC in the future. The fact that a 'War' against terrorisim may increase or speed up these attacks is understood. This will be long, this will be painfull, sitting in the middle of North America I could die. If we do nothing, it will be longer, it will be more painfull, and the survivors will wish they were among the dead in their guilt for taking no action. Another resolution for this would be for America to bow to the demands of a small group out of fear. If this happens, does anyone actualy expect this small group to stop making demands? Caving in to demands will simply show that terrorisim is the most affective way to talk to the US, so we will never folow that path. Most of America now understands that the danger existed before Tuesday, and will exist long after today regardless of how we approach this problem. I can't say we are a country that often errs on the side of caution. Most see it as a choice between watching buildings blow up, or watching buildings blow up while trying everything in our power to end the destruction. We will not stand idle or meet demands as our people die and face further threat. Once these terrorists galvanized our country in fire, the threat of further casulties is no longer reason to wait.

U S A

605. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2001, 08:45 anon@12.154

teh mane man says: Oh, and I'm not looking forward to instigating any sort of fight on these boards or in real life.

riiiiiight, then how do you explain this post from yesterday?

I find this apple pie bullshit of America pretty funny.

Though, I am an American, just not by heart.

I'll take a stand and say, "Shut the fuck up already."

Please, stop the trolling.

604. Terrorists Suck Sep 16, 2001, 08:33 anon@158.252

GOD MAY HAVE MERCY, BUT WE WONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

603. No subject Sep 16, 2001, 06:37 teh mane man

I live in Wisconsin, and I don't even like cheese.

Maybe if you live in the area we could have a chance to share a few thoughts (or we could just talk on Yahoo Voice Chat).

"That's pretty funny considering your complete lack of intellect."

And your supportive reason is where?

"You're just another stupid, pathetic, looking-for-a-reason-to-be-pissed-off, Timothy McVeigh wannabe, who likes to cry anarchy because you've been rejected by your peers and branded a loser."

Lets see... I must be a stereotypical terrorist, who loaths for violence since I have no friends. Well, Mr. Noname, I have friends (and do so as a chosen lot, not as a dire need). I am no terrorist, unless defending yourself, and your differing opinions is terrorizing someone else other than you. Oh, and I'm not looking forward to instigating any sort of fight on these boards or in real life.

602. Read me Sep 16, 2001, 05:02 anon@194.197

How many of the people wowing for vengeance and war actually know what war is like? I'm getting the impression that war is an abstract thing for most americans, something that's fought somewhere far far away without any risk whatsoever for the "patriots" who are so eager to start the damn thing. Defeat is not even an option. "Let's go to war" simply means "let's send our boys there and watch the news to see how it goes".

Let me tell you something: war is hell. Both of my grandfathers spent years of their lives (and luckily lived) defending our nation against two attempted russian invasions (that's Finland for those of you who didn't pay attention in world history class). Besides that, I've done my compulsory one-year military service, so I believe I'm qualified to state that you really don't want war, because this one _will_ hit the american continent in a way you're not prepared for. The enemy will not swarm there with fleets of battleships and aircraft. The enemy is already there, you just can't see them. I'm sure all of you can imagine a myriad of ways each of those enemies within can cause considerable damage...

601. Re: No subject Sep 16, 2001, 00:02 anon@24.190

From a post by "teh mane man" - I will have mercy on your intellect.

That's pretty funny considering your complete lack of intellect. You're just another stupid, pathetic, looking-for-a-reason-to-be-pissed-off, Timothy McVeigh wannabe, who likes to cry anarchy because you've been rejected by your peers and branded a loser. Is that about right?

600. Re: No subject Sep 15, 2001, 23:02 DigitalSin

I'd love to meet you in person and share some more of your profound thoughts.

Where are you located "teh mane man"?

====================
You wouldn't care what people thought of you if you realized how seldom they do

599. No subject Sep 15, 2001, 22:25 teh mane man

"As far as you anti-American or un-patriotic assholes on this message board... your ignorance and lack of respect for human life is appalling. And may God punish you all as well..."

I will have mercy on your intellect.

May the deepest soul savior the slightest intellect... and the slightest soul destroy the deepest intellect.

598. Re: Hold your horses Sep 15, 2001, 17:38 anon@212.2

You know who did it? You might want to tell someone so.

A lot of people here seem to have great first hand experience with terrorists.

Good fucking luck.

597. re: Sep 15, 2001, 17:36 anon@24.218

Backing off is damn much cheaper than fighting a war. Besides, USA is quite self-contained and doesn't really depend on those oil resources.

We need to destroy all terrorist by any means necissary, if that means nuking the pyramids then so be it.

We saved kuates ass, and they repay us by being happy when we are attacked.

596. Msg to Blue Sep 15, 2001, 17:27 anon@62.30

....... this thread is getting out of hand now, can you put an end to it pls Blue ? It's full of trolls and argumentative ppl... thousands have died (some I know personally) and this is no way to treat their memory.

Everyone has a different opinion, yeah some ppl hate the US, some ppl hate the Arabs, some ppl hate everyone and all of us have opinions on how this matter should be concluded, but this is not the place to do it !?! Am I the only one here mourning the dead ?

595. Re: Hold your horses Sep 15, 2001, 17:03 anon@12.154

As far as you anti-American or un-patriotic assholes on this message board... your ignorance and lack of respect for human life is appalling. And may God punish you all as well...

These are the words of one who respects human life? Strange, perhaps I was thrown off by the m("may God punish you all")m part - sounds an awful lot like Bin Laden to me.

654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo