Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

More on the WTC Disaster (Updated)

Of course this is not game related (we do not expect to be doing any further game coverage today), but with the legit news sites being almost impossible to access at times today, we've been getting loads of requests for more information about what's been going on. Here is the latest as of about 9:00 PM EDT:

• President Bush addressed the nation 8:30 PM EDT. Here's a wire report: WASHINGTON (AP) - A grim-faced President Bush condemned ghastly attacks in Washington and New York on Tuesday and vowed to "find those responsible and bring them to justice." In the second Oval Office address of his presidency, Bush said the United States would retaliate against ``those behind these evil acts,'' and any country that harbors them.

To recap:

• In two separate attacks, hijacked planes struck both main towers of the World Trade Center in Manhattan this morning, and both of the "twin towers" subsequently collapsed.
  • A hijacked plane struck the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and part of it has collapsed as well.
  • A hijacked plane crashed in western Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Reports indicate the hijackers planned to crash this plane into Camp David in Maryland.
  • 47 Story WTC building seven, one of the five (relatively) smaller buildings in the World Trade Center also later collapsed from ancillary damage.
  • The White House, the Pentagon, and the Capitol Building were all evacuated, all domestic flights in the US have been grounded through at least noon tomorrow.
  • Other closings include most federal offices, the stock markets, the Disney theme parks, and the cancellation of today's Major League Baseball schedule. The President's speech announced that all federal agencies will be open for business tomorrow.
  • Broadcasts out of Afghanistan showed evidence of missile attacks and antiaircraft fire, but what connection this has to today's apparent terrorist attacks in the US is not clear at this point. The US has denied involvement in these attacks.
  • In the first hints of any sort at the scope of casualties, the New York City Fire Department has estimated that as many as half of the 400 firefighters dispatched to the scene are missing. CNN has said that 78 Police officers are missing. Also, the death toll from those on the four hijacked planes has been placed at 266. The number of dead and injured at the Pentagon has been widely reported as about 100. No estimates of the number of victims from the World Trade Center have been made.
  • People throughout the United States have are being urged to donate blood to help offset significant shortages in New York and Washington. The American Red Cross in Greater New York or the American Red Cross are places to contact about donating blood or money, or both.
  • Some news sites seem to be back online. Here are some links that have been more reliable: CNN.com; CNET.com; Yahoo; The New York Times; washingtonpost.com; usnews.com; ABCNEWS.com; FOXNews.com; MSNBC; and BBC News Online.

All of our thoughts go out to the victims of these attacks and their families and friends in what must be an incredibly difficult time.

View
654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

374. Re: USA got what it asked for Sep 12, 2001, 08:29 anon@61.9

#323 its people like you that make this a bad world to live in. I live in Australia and im sad to see such a tradgedy. Im also sad to say, im kind of looking forward to seeing the retal.

"an eye for an eye"
But killing innocent people is not the way that anything should be done by.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

373. Re: USA got what it asked for Sep 12, 2001, 08:28 anon@61.9

#323 its people like you that make this a bad world to live in. I live in Australia and im sad to see such a tradgedy. Im also sad to say, im kind of looking forward to seeing the retal.

"an eye for an eye"
But killing innocent people is not the way that anything should be done by.

372. Re: USA got what it asked for Sep 12, 2001, 08:07 anon@195.92

Not gonna comment on your views sicko except to say Im European. Im in the UK and I can tell you the whole of Europe is sickened by this as is the rest of the world.
My heartfelt sympathy goes out to all victims, their relatives and family and to let you know we Europeans have you all in our thoughts at this terrible time.

371. Re: USA got what it asked for Sep 12, 2001, 07:39 anon@194.128

I really cannot believe that you posted this #323, is your world view so twisted you think this massive, needless loss of life was justified in any way whatsoever??

I know somebody who was more than likely killed (they were on the top of the building when the first plane hit) they were a total innocent as were the rest of the other poor souls who's lives were lost as a result of terrorism.

Your illiterate, ignorant, plain outright stupid posting makes me sick and ashamed to call myself a fellow human being.

370. No subject Sep 12, 2001, 07:31 anon@24.69

Please stop posting that image here. It's serving no constructive purpose.
This comment was edited on Sep 12, 07:38.

369. My Condolences Sep 12, 2001, 07:18 Arnulf

My heart and feelings go out to the victims of this ... tragic event. I hope they'll find the strength.
I cannot imagine what the relatives of the dead and wounded are going through right now. They have my sympathy.

I still cannot believe what has happened. What is happening right now. How is this possible?

Arnulf

368. Re: stop this Sep 12, 2001, 06:52 anon@151.208

You have no heart, no soul, and are a good example of what is truly wrong with the world today. CS? Who cares about gaming at a time like this? Only a truly sick F#$K. Get help, before its too late.  

367. Re: To post a famous quote: Sep 12, 2001, 06:51 Eon

Sorry to put a dampner on your line of thought Mr 362, but Britain was actually passing Intelligence on Japanese fleet movements and the possibility of an attack on Pearl Harbour weeks before the event itself.

However the reports stopped at the desk of a reactionary General who couldn't tell his friends from his enemies and wasn't reading anything that came from "no goddamned Limey".

I hope the irony isn't lost on you, and that YOU can tell your friends from your enemies.

Eon

366. Re: #323 con-d again Sep 12, 2001, 06:50 anon@62.159

that pic was in pretty poor taste.
both to the victims and to the rest of the world who might have to deal with that.

365. black box Sep 12, 2001, 06:47 anon@213.112

#346, "the black box" is actually colored orange. Orange is easier to find on a crash site and so on...  

364. stop this Sep 12, 2001, 06:41 anon@193.167

I know u americans are upset but cut this crap allready. Isn't this supposed to be a fucking gaming news site or what?!?!? U can discuss and report news about this meaningless happening to somewhere else. Honestly I don't give a f*uck about whole thing.  

363. Re: To post a famous quote: Sep 12, 2001, 06:16 anon@63.192

It wasn't just Churchill who knew about Pearl Harbor. There is significant evidence that FDR also knew about it. If I remember my history correctly he was for Americans joining the war or more correctly for the allies winning the war which necessitated the US joining, hence all of the supplying, Lease-Lend agreement for instance. He just needed something to get the country behind it.  

362. Re: To post a famous quote: Sep 12, 2001, 06:10 anon@213.84

America was not *dragged* into the 1st and 2nd world war; Churchill knew of the Pearl harbor attack but kept his mouth shut because he wanted the US to become involved.

In the 1st world war the Lusitania was sunk by a German sub thus the US entered the 1st WW. gain the British secret service had fed false info on the ship to the German high command.

Thus the US was manipulated into 2 world wars. Read up on your history!

361. I'm glad you lot have kept a level head. Sep 12, 2001, 06:09 anon@195.102

...a lot of the net seem to be going mental (try a chat room) with wild accusations everywhere... playing CS last night someone named themself Bin Laden - not a great idea - and the rest of the server tried to switch to CT. They were spamming the chat with 'you sick fuck' etc; now I know he's not a nice chap who has a history of terrible attacks on the U.S. but he's not even been identified as involved in this (personally I suspect it). This 'guilty until proven innocent' attitude is dangerous...as are any idiots going all out to provoke people at this shaky time. Rotten dot com being prime example with the pictures they are posting. THATS who you should be attacking for now.  

360. #323 con-d again Sep 12, 2001, 06:01 anon@24.69

opps sorry, just so a guy posted it before me  

359. #323 con-d again Sep 12, 2001, 06:00 anon@24.69

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 12, 07:00.

358. Re: America First Sep 12, 2001, 05:29 anon@61.9

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 12, 07:01.

357. Re: No subject Sep 12, 2001, 04:50 anon@217.5

"Dang, this is so unreal. The world trade center is one of America's biggest symbols. I'm suprised they didn't try to take out the statue of liberty as well."

Well in effect they did take out what the statue of liberty stands for.

356. Re: America first Sep 12, 2001, 04:26 anon@63.22

re #349

the kids are cheering. they are not innocent.
This comment was edited on Sep 12, 06:58.

355. Re: A brief recap: Sep 12, 2001, 04:23 anon@63.22

BTW my friends cousin is missing in the collapse, and another friend was on flight 77

So my condolences are real as are many other peoples who just feel grief.

654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 15.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo