Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on the WTC Disaster (Updated)

Of course this is not game related (we do not expect to be doing any further game coverage today), but with the legit news sites being almost impossible to access at times today, we've been getting loads of requests for more information about what's been going on. Here is the latest as of about 9:00 PM EDT:

• President Bush addressed the nation 8:30 PM EDT. Here's a wire report: WASHINGTON (AP) - A grim-faced President Bush condemned ghastly attacks in Washington and New York on Tuesday and vowed to "find those responsible and bring them to justice." In the second Oval Office address of his presidency, Bush said the United States would retaliate against ``those behind these evil acts,'' and any country that harbors them.

To recap:

• In two separate attacks, hijacked planes struck both main towers of the World Trade Center in Manhattan this morning, and both of the "twin towers" subsequently collapsed.
  • A hijacked plane struck the Pentagon in Washington, D.C. and part of it has collapsed as well.
  • A hijacked plane crashed in western Pennsylvania, near Pittsburgh. Reports indicate the hijackers planned to crash this plane into Camp David in Maryland.
  • 47 Story WTC building seven, one of the five (relatively) smaller buildings in the World Trade Center also later collapsed from ancillary damage.
  • The White House, the Pentagon, and the Capitol Building were all evacuated, all domestic flights in the US have been grounded through at least noon tomorrow.
  • Other closings include most federal offices, the stock markets, the Disney theme parks, and the cancellation of today's Major League Baseball schedule. The President's speech announced that all federal agencies will be open for business tomorrow.
  • Broadcasts out of Afghanistan showed evidence of missile attacks and antiaircraft fire, but what connection this has to today's apparent terrorist attacks in the US is not clear at this point. The US has denied involvement in these attacks.
  • In the first hints of any sort at the scope of casualties, the New York City Fire Department has estimated that as many as half of the 400 firefighters dispatched to the scene are missing. CNN has said that 78 Police officers are missing. Also, the death toll from those on the four hijacked planes has been placed at 266. The number of dead and injured at the Pentagon has been widely reported as about 100. No estimates of the number of victims from the World Trade Center have been made.
  • People throughout the United States have are being urged to donate blood to help offset significant shortages in New York and Washington. The American Red Cross in Greater New York or the American Red Cross are places to contact about donating blood or money, or both.
  • Some news sites seem to be back online. Here are some links that have been more reliable: CNN.com; CNET.com; Yahoo; The New York Times; washingtonpost.com; usnews.com; ABCNEWS.com; FOXNews.com; MSNBC; and BBC News Online.

All of our thoughts go out to the victims of these attacks and their families and friends in what must be an incredibly difficult time.

View
654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

494. Some anti-bin Laden images... Sep 13, 2001, 12:47 anon@204.149

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Sep 13, 13:26.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

493. Impasse Sep 13, 2001, 12:17 anon@24.7

Even if the US removed all sanctions and military presence in the Middle East, and completely removed all political, economic, and military support from Israel, there would STILL BE terroists attacks by the same people against the US.

They hate MORE than our presence and actions in the Middle East, the HATE America, period. They hate our way of life, our values, our actions, and our attitude towards the rest of the world.

Well, f*** you. We're not going anywhere. Not now, not in your lifetimes or your children's or grandchildren's.

We are also not alone. Most of the the rest of the world believes in values much closer to ours than yours. They may not agree with US policy and they may be disgusted with American attitudes (which many Americans are sometimes too), but they're willing to work with us as allies in a common cause.

If it comes to a choice between a nation, not just the US but ANY nation, that supports the concepts of individual rights and a democratic form of government, freedom of religion and speech, etc and a regligious state that demands recognition of ONE religion and suppresses individual expression and freedom then there is no need to "open a dialogue". The answer again, is F*** YOU!

492. To set a Precident Sep 13, 2001, 12:05 Scythide

Now is a crucial time for the United States. It is a time where we must set a precident for violence. Currently, the path we are following in Congress is the path towards the dangerous precident that violence begets only violence in retaliation. This, I fear, if came to fruition, would only begin a series of continually escalating violent events until one side cries uncle or is completely destroyed, and the other side is not much better off.

The precident that the President MUST set right now is that violence should not and WILL NOT beget more violence. We must take the higher road and say,

"We have been hit, and hit hard. We can retaliate, but we do not wish for more innocent lives to be wasted. We will defend ourselves to the upmost degree, but we will not attack. We have obviously done something in the past to bring upon this incredible hate and resentment. We do not wish to bring upon any more. We need to end the violence now, for the sake of humanity."

491. Re: To all who hate Americans... Sep 13, 2001, 12:01 anon@194.128

#489... this really hits the mark, I guess it's people's selective memory, arrogance / ignorance to forget all of this.

I'm still lost for words, this tragedy really hits home the evil in this world and how it affects us all.

490. Pearl Harbor: The sequal Sep 13, 2001, 11:55 anon@206.78

this horrific tradedy has often been compared to pearl harbor. I don't think that this is a rational comparison. Based on the fact that Pearl Harbor was a suprise attack, much like this one, but Pearl Harbor was on a military site. It had the capability to defend itself and was attacked by a military. This attack was by cowardly men who attacked innocent people. Yes, they gave their lives for what they believed, but that doesn't make them remotely brave. I feel this is the worst attack and most senseless loss of life in United States history. I am asking my company to start some kind of relief aid to the New Yorkers. This won't be under way perhaps until 2 or 3 days. If you are interested in contributing check www.dcomail.com in the following days and hopefully we will work with the needing and give them what they ask for. They have food and blood donations but I feel that these very special people deserve more than that. So please go to dcomail.com in the next few days and help us start helping them. It will be in donations. Money or anything that will make them happy. Teddy bears with yellow ribbons, candy, anything that will keep our heroes happy and knowing that the nation is 100% behind them and love them for what they are doing

Sincerely,
Daniel Cleveland

489. To all who hate Americans... Sep 13, 2001, 11:39 anon@12.9

The author of the editorial below, Gordon Sinclair, died in 1984. It was originally broadcast in 1973 as a response to criticism regarding the Vietnam War. Unfortunately it has nothing to do with the tragedy of 9/11, but the sentiment is moving nonetheless.

This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth.

Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.

When the franc was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it. When distant cities are hit by earthquakes, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped.

The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans. I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States Dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tristar, or the Douglas 10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American planes?

Why does no other land on earth even consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - - not once, but several times - and safely home again.

You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.

When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the American who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.

I can name you 5,000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.

Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those.

488. To you and yours Sep 13, 2001, 11:29 Scribe666

May your families be safe, and may those digging through the wreckage be kept safe. To those that have been called into service, do what you can, as we will as well. To those that don't understand why everyone else is so sad, I can only pity you.

Stay safe. 'Nuff said.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 11:29.

487. Re: #476 = troll Sep 13, 2001, 10:13 Cheeted

From all round the world, the WTC terrorist attacks are being recieved with horror. The 'troll' who posted earlier is obviously most likely a completely ignorant f**k wit. All of the major European nations have expressed their condolences and none of them have recieved the horrible news with ANY degree of rapture. The WTCBs are unforgivable actions against innocents. We can only hope that these actions aren't reciproacted in possibley hasty and destructive retribution. Those who causes this horror should pay, not others of nations that harbour them.

486. Re: #476 = troll Sep 13, 2001, 10:09 anon@145.221

what a juvenile individual #476 is *sigh*

I, as a European, or better as a human being, absolutely condem the terrible attacks that happened on tuesday. I was sickened that such a thing could occur, and I can only say that my heart and thoughts are with those touched by these events.

It is a testing time for us all, and we together must prove our worth.

-TdC

485. Re: #476 = troll Sep 13, 2001, 09:50 anon@194.128

Well said Blue, it's an emotional time for everyone at the moment (i.e those who care what's happened) and trolls don't help.

Peace.

484. Re: #476 = troll Sep 13, 2001, 09:41  Blue 

Troll indeed -- this thread has done very well by itself not to succumb to such obvious trolls by ignoring the fools that post them... best to just continue that way.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, Il Presidente for Life

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

483. Re: =) Sep 13, 2001, 09:21 anon@207.121

This asshole will be dealt with, no worries.  

482. Re: =) Sep 13, 2001, 09:01 anon@12.47

You sir, are an a$$hole. I know a good handful of Europeans, and it seems they don't share your sentiments. In fact, it seems like the only people that do are Bin Laden and Iraq.
I'd like to see some hijackers take over and kill 20k of your people, some personally known and related to you, then see how joyous you are.
There has been no credible evidence that our air force shot down our own civilian plane. In fact, evidence now points that a handfull of the people on board flight 93 struggled to retake the plane from the COWARDLY and DESPICABLE terrorists. They seem to have retaken the plane, and knowing they were going to die, decided to crash the plane in an unpopulated region instead.
Oh, and for being pussies, after they slit a couple stewardess' necks, you see how inclined you are to fight back. And most hijackers don't crash the plane intentionally; most just want the pilot to fly to a certain destination.
And now that Article 5 has been passed, the US has all of NATO's backing, I guess all of Europe isn't laughing at us. They're actually backing us. "An attack against one is an attack against all."

481. #476 = troll Sep 13, 2001, 08:56 anon@213.141

Ignore #476, as he's obviously a troll. I live in Europe, and I have yet to se *one* person laughing at this. On the contrary, I see people crying. Outside the US embassy, flowers are all over the place, candles are lit and letters from people expressing their support are placed everywhere.

I don't know why I'm writing this, as this guy is obviously just a troll. I think the USA knows that they are not alone.

480. Sincerity Sep 13, 2001, 08:53 anon@212.49

That European post was *NOT* indicative of the feelings of practically anyone in Europe, or indeed the world.

There is a lot of anti-american sentiment worldwide, for many reasons, but mmostly becuase of the "we are leaders of the free world" or the air of superiority that SOME Americans emote. But no matter how much a country is disliked, NO-ONE would ever want anything as horrible and destructive to happen to any nation on the planet.

One other point. Someone was calling for all our prayers They said "Even if you are an atheist, you should pray". Excuse? I'm an atheist. If I prayed do you think that would be sincere in the slightest? It would be hypocritical and incredibly insincere, and not what it is needed.

I notice that at this stage news agencies worldwide are using MS Flight Sim on live TV and crashing planes into the WTC to "show how easy it is". Thats smacks of insincerity and sensationalism. I'm not proud.

479. Re: =) #476 Sep 13, 2001, 08:24 anon@213.66

You, sir, are an asshole.

Being a european myself (just across the sea from you, judging by your IP address) I can attest that what you say is not true.

I -hope- that you're just out to draw flames, and don't actually mean what you type. I'm pretty anti-US as far as the US 'better-than-thou' attitude and warmongering goes, but shit man, these terrorist attacks were horrible, and anyone who doesn't agree that the world would have been a better place without them lacks a brain.

478. Re: =) Sep 13, 2001, 08:11 anon@194.128

You are one sick puppy - how can you say that ? You are no better than the pond life that commited this crime - you stupi moron, don't you realise that so many Europeans were also killed in this act ?? This is not just an attack on the US, this is an attack on the people of the world.

Ur an idiot.

477. Re: =) Sep 13, 2001, 07:39 JediLuke

#476: I pity your ignorance if that post was serious, but I take comfort in knowing it is not representative of the majority. You clearly are speaking unintelligently and without facts, or are just trolling. Either way... please shut the f*ck up, and grow up.

~Jedi

476. =) Sep 13, 2001, 07:35 anon@193.167

Just wanted to tell u americans that people in the europe are laughing to you right now. =) Everyone I know conciders these terrorist attacks as really good thing. You deserved it. I hope there is more or even better news entertainment very soon!! It's allways nice to see "worlds police" being kicked to there where it hurts! hahahah! Just when you proud assholes sayed y got best defence systems and all.. too bad that so many people managed to escape from buildings before they crashed It would be very nice to see white house being destroyed too. Apparently your own army planes shot that one passinger plane down before they did hit anything. way to go dudes I just wonder what kind of pussies u americans are: There is 2-4 terrorist on the plane whit just knifes! wtf?! There is over 60 ppl on plane and all they just waited camly their deaths... Like cows waiting to get slaughtered lol.  

475. Re: things Sep 13, 2001, 07:07 anon@194.128

Your statement about dehumanizing Arab's by saying they are crazy is blown out of the water by the facts:

Arab / Muslim terrorists flying planes on a suicide run into targets = crazy in the worst possible way in my book.

Whilst I certainly don't mean every Arab is crazy, the one who's perpertrated this crime couldn't have been very sane.

--- QUOTE BELOW ---
3) This is a faq about bin Laden: http://www.msnbc.com/news/627355.asp
Notice that it tells anything you might want to know about him...except WHY. Why do they hate the US and its western allies? Do YOU know? How much are the many CIA-assisted coups (influenced by commercial interests) in places like Chile, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Iran, etc. ever discussed? Or the use of these places as pawns in the game of "containing the communist menace"? It's easier just to dehumanize Arabs and say they're crazy.

Terrorism isn't madness, it's DESPERATION.

I think the only path out of this situation is open dialogue of ALL OF THE ISSUES. The United States and Britain need to acknowledge their middle east role over the past decades and address the griefs of these people. Not spout empty, predictable platitudes about "terror will not stand." Terror will stand as long as people are oppressed.

654 Replies. 33 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo