Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Medal Of Honor Preview

There's a Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault preview on PC Zone based on a foray to the EA Play get-together in the UK to get first-hand impressions of this upcoming Quake III-engine World War II first-person shooter. The article offers several quotes about the game from 2015's Vince Zampella, discussing several aspects of gameplay, the lack of a realistic damage system to provide a balance between realism and fun, and the enhancements they've made to the engine. On those engine enhancements, they quote Vince as saying: "We've gone with the Quake III engine and made some modifications to it. There's a new terrain system, a new detail system and a new animation systemů we've got expansive outdoor areas that we use to 'recreate' and keep the atmosphere authentic."

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: PC Zone unter alles, surely? Sep 6, 2001, 21:20  Frans 

That said, does PC Gamer exist any more? I've not seen it in my local newsagents for some time...
The US or UK edition? Both still exist, but I don't know about newsstand distribution in whatever country you live in, as I subscribe to the UK edition (and they just had their 100th issue last month - weee :o).

-- Frans
News editor, http://www.bluesnews.com/
3D Gamers admin, http://www.3dgamers.com/

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: PC Zone unter alles, surely? Sep 6, 2001, 08:44 Rolphus

Damnit, I'm just not keeping up... maybe you should have corrected your corrections to say that the article had been corrected. Or something

I guess you've got to draw the line somewhere, just ignore me, I'm too tired and useless for all this

7. Re: PC Zone unter alles, surely? Sep 6, 2001, 08:14  Blue 

Blue, I'm half disappointed and half pleased that you've edited the article - I can understand that you're eager to clear up any potential confusion, but doesn't it piss you off, having to do that with something that doesn't seem to be a big deal?

Well, it's par for the course on the Internet... when I posted the story it was already late in the UK, and it wasn't going to be fixed any time soon, so I decided to make the point of clarifying that confusing aspect of the story. Since a web story can be fixed (unlike print), it was revised at some point, so if I didn't edit the clarification out of my story, it would no longer be a clarification, it would have been a confusification.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, Il Presidente for Life

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

6. Re: PC Zone unter alles, surely? Sep 6, 2001, 08:01 Rolphus

I don't tend to read PC gaming magazines as much as I used to, but when I do, I tend to go for PC Gamer... the style and content are generally good. It's quite a bit more expensive, but I'd say I generally get better "value-for-money" out of PC Gamer. That said, does PC Gamer exist any more? I've not seen it in my local newsagents for some time...

Blue, I'm half disappointed and half pleased that you've edited the article - I can understand that you're eager to clear up any potential confusion, but doesn't it piss you off, having to do that with something that doesn't seem to be a big deal?

There goes another 2p,

Rolphus

Edit: Damn, I must be tired, I signed it with my name instead of my nick :)

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 08:02.

5. Re: PC Zone unter alles, surely? Sep 6, 2001, 07:27  Blue 

I've seen several thinly-veiled swipes at that magazine over the past couple of months.

I don't really think you've seen any such thing, there is certainly no one here who has any problem with our friends across the pond. If you are referring to my calling attention to the Mike/Vince confusion, it just took me a bit myself to figure out what was going on with the references to Mike, so I thought I'd help clarify it for anyone who was going to read it. The Vince/Mike thing has since been corrected in the article, so I'll remove that from the story to avoid causing confusion, since that's what I was trying to forestall in the first place.

In case anyone is curious, here is what my story originally said:

The article offers several quotes about the game from 2015's Vince Zampella (though it seems the author was so caught up in the game that he attributes all of the quotes to Mike, presumably confused with Mike Powell the game's main character), discussing several aspects of gameplay, the lack of a realistic damage system to provide a balance between realism and fun, and the enhancements they've made to the engine. On those engine enhancements, they quote Vince (or Mike, as the case may be) as saying:...

I just don't see how that good natured clarification could be characterized as a "thinly-veiled swipe" but I guess you're free to interpret things however you please.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, Il Presidente for Life

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

4. Re: PC Zone unter alles, surely? Sep 6, 2001, 02:58 anon@212.137

I know its a collective, but one of them (or all of them) seem to have it in for PC Zone. I've seen several thinly-veiled swipes at that magazine over the past couple of months. Pc Zone may be arse, but name me a better monthly games magazine available in the UK  

3. PC Zone unter alles, surely? Sep 5, 2001, 18:17 Rolphus

I don't mean to be completely stupid, but, uh, which "guy that writes this tosh"?

Also, why defend PC Zone? It is, quite frankly, arse. They frequently get their facts totally wrong, the writing style is generally appalling, and the "humour" that abounds throughout the magazine is annoying at best. I occasionally buy it to save myself the download on one (frequently non-functional) demo or that other. Other than that, it's not worth the hassle. If they gave me the opportunity to buy the CD without the mag, I may well do so

Just my tuppence,

Rolphus

2. PC Zone uber alles Sep 5, 2001, 18:04 anon@212.137

The guy who writes this tosh, whats his beef with PC Zone? He's always sniping at them in the fashion an ugly little sister does at her older, more beautiful sibling. anyone know the reason?  

1. PC Zone uber alles Sep 5, 2001, 18:03 anon@212.137

The guy that writes this tosh, whats his beef with PC Zone? He's always sniping at them in the fashion an ugly little sister does at her older, more beautiful sibling. anyone know the reason?  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo