Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

B&W Patch Delayed (Again)

The official Black & White website has bad news for those eager to get the official version of the latest Black & White patch, which was originally promised for mid-May (story), then May 21 (story), and was then delayed yet again by quality assurance (story). Many of the fixes planned for that patch have already been released in an unsupported unofficial developer's patch (story), but as you may have guessed already, the word on the official patch is that it is still held up in QA, which has resulted in a change in the schedule of planned updates they recently posted (story). Most of the updates listed on that schedule include the note "Subject to official patch being released," so this should probably be considered to be carved in sand as well.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Black and White Jul 10, 2001, 07:16 anon@63.24

I didn't even get far enough into this game to care about a patch. I played through the first level without running into any problems whatsoever, but I can't bring myself to continue on into level 2. This game just wasn't providing me any fun.

The interface is the worst I've ever seen. (Why in the hell was I reaching to the edge of the screen with my mouse and dragging myself from here to there? I thought I was supposed to be a God?) Doing anything or getting anywhere was like pulling teeth. And what was even worse, I never had the feeling that anything I did in the game really had any effect on the outcome. It seemed to me the game just played itself, whether I whacked my monkey or not.

It's been on my computer for three months now, and I haven't touched it since the first week I bought it. I've been meaning to get back to it and give it another chance, but now I just feel like saying the hell with it.

Someone here, earlier, said that this game was "a mile wide and six inches deep." That describes this game perfectly. This game got consistently high scores in all the reviews; is this the kind of shallow crap that everyone likes???

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Oct Jul 9, 2001, 17:25 Slint

omg, StarTopia 0wnz! It's so much fun.

------------
The Dude abides.

31. Oct Jul 9, 2001, 11:54 anon@212.250

I feel sorry for all you guys who are still hung up on B&W, you're missing a far better game. I'll do you a huge favour, I'll tell you its name.
StarTopia.
Boy do you owe me now. Get searching.

30. Re: Passage of time Jul 9, 2001, 04:01 shul

I don't know who you are, anon, but you certaily added some respect to the unallianced league.

Great post man.

p.s. Does ANYONE knows why the 8 of august past us with no patch yet??

29. Passage of time Jul 8, 2001, 13:20 anon@64.157

Logic might prevail....
It took some three years (or more?) for the genuises to create this game, correct? (They are genuises BTW, someone over there has to be anyhow) It stands to reason that it should take proportionally long to release a decent patch. It would also seem that the game developers are on a time continuum equal to that of a god's creature while we live at their mercy, living and dying faster than dragon flies (which have a 24 hour lifespan).
The only flaw I can see is that being equated to god's would indicate some level of perfection which the finished product is sorely lacking. Though I supppose there have never been perfect gods.

28. Re: The Only One Jul 4, 2001, 22:25 anon@203.43

So basically their beta patch doesn't even work either, WHAT A JOKE! EA and Lyinhead SUCK.  

27. Re: The Only One Jul 4, 2001, 10:08 anon@198.240

I care because with the beta patch installed the game won't even LOAD on my machine and many others.

It's ridiculous that it has taken them three months -- a quarter of a year -- and counting to sort this game out is.

26. Blues news 2023 Jul 4, 2001, 08:51 Rolphus

The official Black and White website has bad news for those eager to get the official version of the latest Black & White patch, mid-May (story), then May 21 2001 (story), was then delayed yet again by quality assurance (story), and was then delayed by flying pigs (story, story, story, story, and story), a plague of rats, (story, story, and story), the resignation of the entire development team (story, story, story), the subsequent rampage-killing of EA staff by Peter Molyneux (story, story, story, story, story, and of course story), and finally his demise at the hands of an angry "Need for Speed 14: This time it's really fast" fan (story, story).

A new beta patch has been in development by an aging Linus Torvalds (story). Reports that the AI is now so good that EA's (significantly smaller) QA department can't release it under international law (story) are apparently false (story, story, story, and finally story).

Man, that took a while to write. Totally pointless, too

Edit: Whoops, I suck at this... typos everywhere

This comment was edited on Jul 4, 09:18.

25. Re: The Only One Jul 4, 2001, 08:25 anon@203.43

Who really cares!? there's a beta patch that works fine, it's just a typical problem that EA causes with all their companies, they leave the gamers stranded with some useless game full of bugs and force the companies they own to work on expansion packs -- WHICH STILL DON'T FIX THE BUGS.

Take a look at Maxis and The Sims, yet another example of EA at work. They suck!

24. Re: The Only One Jul 4, 2001, 04:00 shul

I do agree that for the most part the most vocal part of the gaming community seems to be pretty pessimistic and ready to tear something/someone down just for the sake of doing so.

I agree. mulinux first?

23. Which first DNF or B&W patch? Jul 3, 2001, 21:28 anon@209.180

Right now I am starting to think we will see Duke Nukem before we see a patch for Black & White.  

22. It will be nice when it's patched... Jul 3, 2001, 20:36 anon@142.154

Esh, when and if we ever see a patch will be nice. And before anyone complains, yes I have a username, but I'm booted into Win98 right now...hehe...no password cache here.  

21. Re: The Only One Jul 3, 2001, 20:35 Bronco

shove 2 scaffolds together in the workshop to get a big one = a big abode

Yes, thats how its supposed to work. Most of the time it does. It seems to act up on the land with the wood miracle under/by the waterfall. If I'm REAL patient and move the scaffold super slow a large abode appears. Otherwise I'm stuck with a 2-3 unit dwelling. Next thing I know I've got 15 2-3 unit dwellings that were built with 2 scaffolds and a bunch of people yelling 'More Homes!'

Thanks for the tip.

Snappy2Stroke

-TPFKAS2S

20. Re: The Only One Jul 3, 2001, 19:45 anon@213.224

Aint I glad I didn't buy that game

have seen it @ a friends, and was planning to get it(because of the 1000 good reviews)

but I think I have te recheck

19. Re: The Only One Jul 3, 2001, 18:02 anon@212.140

snappy... shove 2 scaffolds together in the workshop to get a big one = a big abode  

18. Re: The Only One Jul 3, 2001, 15:27 Bronco

People complain that Black & White doesn't have a patch
People complain that Tribes 2 has too many patches

I know that when I bought B&W I debated between it and T2...the initial reports on T2 were really bad and I only have access to 56K so I opted for B&W. I now think there was more replay value in T2 despite my crappy connection, especially considering the support (albeit haphazzard) the T2 team has delivered. I think you are really highlighting extremes here. The bottom line is the fact that both games were pushed out the door incomplete and both companies have screwed up in their efforts to correct these issues.

People complain that Half-Life has too many add-ons and that the developers should get back to work on a new game, Team Fortress 2, so that they'll have a new game to complain about

I'm a big fan of Valve and have really appreciated all of the value they have delivered for my $. I don't mind the amount of time it has taken them on TF2 or HL2 or whatever it is they are working on. When it does arrive I'll wait a couple of weeks to listen to the response. Maybe it's a sign of old age but I can wait a month before buying.

I do agree that for the most part the most vocal part of the gaming community seems to be pretty pessimistic and ready to tear something/someone down just for the sake of doing so.

Snappy2Stroke

-TPFKAS2S

17. Re: The Only One Jul 3, 2001, 14:38 anon@63.164

If they keep delaying it for "Q&A purposes" that means that EA is finding problems with the program and thus the blame shifts back to Lionhead since they are writing a buggy patch  

16. Re: The Only One Jul 3, 2001, 13:12  Bagpuss 

For the love of God, however much you don't like B&W, don't buy a PS2.

I too was somewhat disappointed by B&W, but surely all the problems here are due to EA, not Lionhead. They're the ones who keep delaying the patch for "Q&A purposes". Go download the beta patch if you can't wait.

- Bagpuss
http://www.chatbear.com/
Get your own free messageboard today (just like this one!)

- Bagpuss
http://richardsmith.me/

15. Re: The damn thing crashes on Save! Jul 3, 2001, 13:12  Mohss 

Agreed 'anonymous'. (come on....you don't want to sign up?)

14. The damn thing crashes on Save! Jul 3, 2001, 12:53 anon@205.166

I can live with bugs, but I can't live with the game crashing when I try to save it. I'm in the 3rd world and I suppose if I start over it might not happen, but I'm not sure it's worth it anymore. I simply can't make progress anymore.

Shipping a product with these kinds of bugs/total failures is a disgrace. Screw the graphics, screw the learning, screw the story, if I can't play it the whole effort to make the game was wasted.

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo