Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life Patches Soon

Valve sends along an update on two upcoming Half-Life patches that are due to be released in the coming weeks. The first patch will include the already available Deathmatch Classic mod, among other changes, while the second release brings the Voice and the Multicast Spectator technologies. Here is the scoop:

Two Half-Life Updates Coming Soon

Half-Life updates 1.1.0.7 and 1.1.0.8 will be released in the coming weeks.

Update 1.1.0.7, which contains Deathmatch Classic and introduces new update/downloading functionality, will be issued next week.

Update 1.1.0.8, which contains Voice and the Multicast Spectator technologies, and was previously referred to as 1.1.0.7, will be released in mid July. This update also contains a fix for the GL wall hack, and will be previewed at this week's CPL event in Dallas.

The Voice and Multicast Spectator features will be compatible with all Half-Life Mods, and Valve will be supporting the Mod teams to have these features working immediately in popular HL Mods such as Day of Defeat and more.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: For the love of the game... Jul 5, 2001, 04:25 shul

I Just keep on helping you guys, don't I??

---------------------

---------------------

shul

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: For the love of the game... Jul 3, 2001, 18:34  Frans 

So how come he isn't blue?

Because he's green.
Except the green background was so dark that it was hardly visible, but that's been fixed now.

-- Frans
News editor, http://www.bluesnews.com/
3D Gamers admin, http://www.3dgamers.com/
This comment was edited on Jul 3, 18:36.

-- Frans

38. Re: 2 cents Jul 3, 2001, 09:08 Vergs

That's odd...the thread is showing 37 messages, but the handy quick-reference at the top, "popular threads" has dropped from 37 to 35 to 19.

--Vergs

http://www.bfd-tfc.com

37. Re: 2 cents Jul 2, 2001, 17:41 anon@64.63

Like i said, the plug was pulled long ago. You're waiting on the little white dot in the center of the TV screen to fade out before you announce the television is oficially "off." Meanwhile, everyone else has already left the room.

The fact that people were willing to go unpaid, forego royalties, etc. to get the product out is just residual indicia of a foregone conclusion and the abandonment issues that would lie ahead. You may be right about the "official" time of death; I won't dicker with pedantics. Nevertheless, when they stopped announcing a release date, way back when (Note--I need to review some archives to see if I can get you guys a date), I knew 1/2 Life Blue-Shift for the DreamCast woudn't be forthcoming. It's a shame; that would have been a great console game.

On a related note: it looks as if our endeavors here have been worthwhile and successful--here it is, a full week from when this article was posted and we are not only the #1 thread on Blue's (rcon tfc_birthday 1) but if Valve holds true to their word, the first patch should be forthcoming shortly. I haven't checked the morning/afternoon news yet, so maybe there will be a surpise.

By the way, did anyone check out the screenshots of the spectator technology in action that Blue's had linked? Looking pretty good. I'm looking forward to the changes.

--Vergs (at work w/o login cookies)

When Sega announced it was

36. Re: 2 cents Jul 2, 2001, 14:51 anon@206.79

Vergs done wrote:
<blockquote>
As for Blue-Shift, the plug on the DreamCast project was pulled long ago--I think back when Sega announced it would no longer be making hardware and would shift their focus to software only. The PC release came months after the announcement that BlueShift DC would not be released.
</blockquote>
<p>
Not so, Vergs. Blue Shift on Dreamcast didn't officially die until Half-Life on Dreamcast officially died, which was only two weeks ago -- the middle of June -- after Blue Shift for PC shipped, in fact.
<p>
I'd also like to point out here that in early May, Sierra was delivered a release candidate for the Dreamcast version of the game, including Blue Shift. Gearbox and Valve both offered to waive part or all of their royalties to get the game to ship. Captivation Digital Labs went out of business but Captivation staff was willing to work unpaid to get the game out.

35. Re: For the love of the game... Jul 1, 2001, 14:33 shul

Just one person, Bagpuss

So how come he isn't blue?

34. Re: For the love of the game... Jul 1, 2001, 13:27  Frans 

what is going on?? how many of u are coding this thing??

Just one person, Bagpuss - I merely passed your suggestion on to him

-- Frans
This comment was edited on Jul 1, 13:27.

-- Frans

33. Re: For the love of the game... Jul 1, 2001, 11:58 shul

checking

what is going on?? how many of u are coding this thing??

32. Re: For the love of the game... Jul 1, 2001, 10:43  Bagpuss 

Do you plan on adding the i container to 'q'

Yes. Done.

- Bagpuss
http://www.webdog.org
Your news and .plan tracking centre!

- Bagpuss
http://richardsmith.me/

31. Re: For the love of the game... Jul 1, 2001, 03:13 shul

The history of the *nick* "shul":

shul is a person. I've been nicked "shul" by my dad long time ago (about 15 years) and when I got my first net login (which was before anyone knew what WWW was) I asked to be called "shul". hence shul.

shul, as I discovered later, is also a thing (couple of things actually) - but that is completely unrelated to my nick, which is a short version of my name.

Well, do you plan on adding the i container to 'q' ?

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 03:13.

30. Re: IT'S NOT THE QUAKE 2 ENGINE Jun 30, 2001, 17:21 Vergs

anon@65.32--

If HL had been written to use tga textures (like q3) instead of a wad3 texture wad, what effect would that have on the aesthetics? Could a much sharper, better looking TFC be the product? I'm curious

--Vergs

29. Re: 2 cents Jun 30, 2001, 17:17 Vergs

>>so i must insist i know more about what i'm talking about than you vergs.

1. I should hope so. I'm not Charles Manson, so I can't "get inside your head, Jack." You should know what you're talking about more than anyone, including the almighty Verga.

2. Who the fuck are you? According to your ip, this is your first post on the forum. If this is a pre-emptive strike, have at it--you must be confusing me with the roid-raged loser that lashes out at fanboys who pontificate aloud to what they hope are fellow fans.

3. What's past is prologue--all the experience in the world with various TFC/ Half-Life incarnations won't flip the cards over on Valve's current projects. I have been fortunate enough, with regards to 1/2 Life 2 to have seen some pretty cool shit--'nuff said.

4. I appreciate the enlightenment on the Half-Life engine--I always thought it was a modified Quake 2 engine--bad source.

As for Blue-Shift, the plug on the DreamCast project was pulled long ago--I think back when Sega announced it would no longer be making hardware and would shift their focus to software only. The PC release came months after the announcement that BlueShift DC would not be released.

I for one, as a fanboy (I like this title), appreciate Gearbox and Valve putting it out on the PC. I'm sick of Neil Manke and his Resident Evil/ Alone in the Dark knock offs (Sorry, Neil--I love Vidar's :P)

Now, if you wanna see what I thought of Blue Shift, go to http://www.bfd-tfc.com/verga's%20vents.htm and read my review. The final score I gave it was a combination of the fact that they went ahead and released it on the PC and the fact that I wasn't comparing it to the latest FPS technology.

--Vergs

28. Re: IT'S NOT THE QUAKE 2 ENGINE Jun 30, 2001, 16:57 anon@65.32

quote: "HL may have been origioanl based off the Q1 engine but it has gone FAR beyond it. No it isn't up to par with UT/Q3A engine games but it still looks nice and has it still where it counts the the most, GAMEPLAY."

if you paid attention to the open-source quake community you would see that anything done in the HL engine has already been supported in open source quake (other than their model system).
in fact well over half the engine mods support loading of bsp30 (half-life maps) and use tga textures (like q3) instead of a wad3 texture wad.
so no hl is not very advanced if a bunch of people can surpass it graphically in their spare time working for free.

27. Re: 2 cents Jun 30, 2001, 16:44 anon@65.32

HL uses the quake ONE engine not q2.
at the very last minute they also bought the quake2 engine and incorporated a few things like game dll's.
half-life is 85% q1.
another thing, yes they are including things from what was originally going to be tf2 in tfc. and yes they are saying they're making a new engine for tf2/hl2/cs2.
however, valve always does was is best for them monetarily, and try to play it off as "what the gamers want." take for example blueshift. it was going to be included in HL DC. they knew DC was a dead system and they couldnt make money off of HL DC. so they said "we're releasing blueshift because the fans want it." thats a total lie, because as you saw the very day blueshift was released for PC HL DC was canceled. they were trying to cut their losses.
so here's what i think they're going to do:
use their "new tf2 engine" to make Counter-strike 2 and give those of us who have been waiting three years for tf2 the shaft. why? just look at the servers. almost 10x as many players/servers for CS than TFC/QWTF/Q3F/UNF/anyothertfmod combined.
they're going to make a hell of a lot more money off CS2 than TF2. i used to play tfc when it first came out, and when they released their "new netcode" i just couldnt stand the game any longer. q3f beta2 will own any tfc nonsense that valve throws at us. btw i still play qwtf and i've been playing it since 1997. so i must insist i know more about what i'm talking about than you vergs.

26. Re: For the love of the game... Jun 30, 2001, 13:05  Frans 

shul (which noticed the "q" for the first time.. was that always there??)

Yes, although embedding it in an 'i' container makes it much clearer indeed. Nice idea

Btw, is 'shul' a thing (which) or a person (who) ?

-- Frans
This comment was edited on Jun 30, 13:05.

-- Frans

25. Re: For the love of the game... Jun 30, 2001, 03:07 shul

pleae explain how you got it to switch to a window...

Well, simply run it with -w.

hell, as crappy as Diablo is technically

You even admits it...

Btw, why did they make it that way?

I have a distinct feeling that someone said "hey, lets write a cool 3D engine, because thats where the market is going" and was flamed as hell, so they used their old technologies for this game too... (disclaimer: this might not be the case, maybe they wrote a cool 3D engine and Diablo II is translating it back into 640x480 crappy graphics.. I don't know)

shul (which noticed the "q" for the first time.. was that always there??)

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 03:07.

24. No subject Jun 29, 2001, 12:52 anon@198.26

I've been playing TFC less and less lately. I really like that Valve still patches the game and tries to add new gameplay but even with that, it's still TFC. To really get people excited I would have liked to see a new class or two(and not the commander, I mean a real fighting class or defensive class). My thoughts are like maybe a SAPPER class who plants laser trip wires and land mines. The trip wire only goes off when opposing team passes and cannot be seen by the other team unless they are looking for the actual trip device. He could cross trap the flag room making great defensive battles. Set exposed and unexposed explosives that the class has to trigger like setting up outside their fort and when they cross he has to throw the switch (not an automatic explosion)! Also, he could lay land mine fields! Another class could be like a SUPPLY class. His function is Attack/Defensive support. He carries tons of supplies to help engineers quickly build SG's and can actually build a SG1 but no higher. He would carry a light mini-gun half as powerful as a HW and be lightly armored because of equipment he carries. Could be very valuable in attacking a fort with heavy flag room defense. Just my thoughts, or maybe add a MARINE class, a cross between and soldier and a demo.  

23. Re: For the love of the game... Jun 29, 2001, 11:14 anon@64.63

Actually...the expansion pack released today allows a glorious 800 x 600 resolution. By the way, pleae explain how you got it to switch to a window...I run my desktop in 1600 x 1200 and would lOVE to ruin my eyes

My point was that Blizzard continues to support their products...hell, as crappy as Diablo is technically, in terms of graphics, it looks great for 640 x 480...the color washouts are irritating at times, but still a great game.

Btw, why did they make it that way? I have no idea--if someone does, I would appreciate an explanation.

--Vergs (at work--hence no login)

LMAO at "for the love of Vergs"

22. Re: For the love of the game... Jun 29, 2001, 02:13 shul

take a look at Blizzard Software

what about blizzard?? how can you mention blizzard and valve in the same sentence?? Blizzard had some excellent games for their times. they were bitmap based and hence any jump in the resolution was a pain. the engine blizzard are using is the same (by concept) to the engine they used for warcraft I!!!! I can't even begin to compare the two engines. only now (Warcraft III engine) they are supporting "any 4:3 resolution ratio". More over - Blizzard didn't even mention Diablo II can't work in a resolution above 640x480 (you can switch to a little window and ruin your eyes with 1024x768 on the desktop... great).

So please, for the love of Vergs, do not mention Blizzard and Valve as the same monopolist-type company.

shul.

21. More importantly... Jun 28, 2001, 19:52 anon@66.25

I don't see why this is so important and I don't really care(even though Vergs is right, and has obviously beat the living crap out of whatshisname)...I just like playing half-life: tfc

...But on a more Important note, I've been having this burning sensation when I pee, I think I might have a urinary tract infection.

Does any one have any advice how to get rid of it?? I know drinking water and cranberry juice should help, but I'm allergic to cranberry juice, it makes me break out in a rash all over my ass and around my vagina area. And I vomit every time I drink water. So, you can see my dilemma.

Please send any helpful information to burningcrotch@infections.com

Thanks in advance,

S~D

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo