Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO

EA announces the hiring of Chris Bruzzo as their new Chief Marketing Officer, touting his success at his previous gigs at Starbucks and Amazon in expressing enthusiasm for the move. It's not often that a company comes out and says marketing actually improves their finished products, but that's the pitch here, as they say: "Chris will ensure we are delivering personal and meaningful experiences for players every time they connect with us and play an EA game." They also mention his bona fides as a gamer: "Chris is just as comfortable sharing stories about his days playing Escape from Rungistan and Ultima back in the early 1980s on his Apple IIE as he is debating tactics in FIFA, Battlefield or Peggle. Iím thrilled to bring him on board at EA."

View
42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

42. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 4, 2014, 11:48 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 05:20:
I'd like to hear what good moves EA has made in the past five years. I'm not being sarcastic. I just can't think of any. My brain is so full of the shit they've pulled:

The only real positive move I can think of is Origin. It's not Steam but getting better and they are actually having more frequent and deeper sales than they used to, as well as free 72 hour trials and so on. Your list is certainly very valid and I would agree that despite their annual churn of Madden/Fifa that they have done more bad than good over the past 3-4 years.

Unfortunately the big pubs can't afford to put a lot of money into something like Dead Space and wait 2-3 iterations for it to pay off. Their whole business model is annual franchise churn.

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 4, 2014, 10:33 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 05:20:
- Mass Effect 3 (what were they thinking?)
- Crysis 3

EA had nothing to do with Mass Effect 3 beyond publishing it. The shitty ending was all Mac Walters' belief that he is somehow the greatest sci-fi writer on the planet. ME3 wasn't a DA2 where EA forced it out the door after 17 minutes of dev time.

Crysis 3 was a good game, it was just way too short. Not sure if that's EA's fault or Crytek's.

40. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 4, 2014, 10:30 Creston

Devinoch wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 19:30:
I think at this point we as gamers should be cheering efforts to course correct with good moves just as much as we lambast the bad ones.

When EA does something good, I congratulate them for it. When they give away free games, I thank them for it.

I'm just trying to figure out where "We hired a new chief marketing officer from a company that has zero to do with developing games" somehow intersects with "a good move."

39. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 4, 2014, 05:20 jdreyer

Oh, my bad. Thank you.

Polite, intelligent analysis in a comments thread? God help us, what have we come to?

EA's made some bad moves and they've made some good moves. I think at this point we as gamers should be cheering efforts to course correct with good moves just as much as we lambast the bad ones. In doing so, we offer positive reinforcement and teach good behavior rather than instilling a "well, everyone hates everything we ever do, so fuck'em" attitude that many jaded people in the gaming industry are starting to get (myself included)...

~c.

I'd like to hear what good moves EA has made in the past five years. I'm not being sarcastic. I just can't think of any. My brain is so full of the shit they've pulled:
- The lockdown of the Battlefield franchise so it's no longer moddable.
- The removal of functionality from that franchise, such as offline mode with bots
- Rushing BF4 out the door with bugs and not enough server support just to "beat" CoD to market
- Turning SimCity into an online-only multiplayer game
- Launching Sims 4 with less functionality than it's predecessors, with an obvious eye to see basic functionality as DLC
- Raping the Dungeon Keeper franchise
- SWTOR.
- Medal of Honor
- Mass Effect 3 (what were they thinking?)
- Crysis 3
- Command and Conquer cancellation

That's off the top of my head. I could probably go on and on if I used google. There are a couple of good things that came to mind once I thought about it:
- PvZ 2 was fun for a free to play. Better than I expected.
- It wins awards for being a good place to work these days, although it had to be forced that way via lawsuit

Not really enough to make up for the crap though.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

38. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 4, 2014, 04:48 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Sep 4, 2014, 03:59:
/* best George Carlin imitation */

Whatever happened to developers just making the BEST DAMN GAME they can, and more importantly WANT to make.

In a word? Shareholders

EA is focused on providing value for its shareholders, making "good" games is secondary. That's why you see them behave the way that they do.

37. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 4, 2014, 03:59 InBlack

/* best George Carlin imitation */

The whole obsession with what the 'gamer', or I should really say consumer, WANTS is beyond fucking ridiculous. Its like Capitalist Business 101. Its also BULLSHIT. Fuck even indies are doing it now, look at StarCitizen. They are making the game that EVERYONE wants apparently. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit.

Whatever happened to developers just making the BEST DAMN GAME they can, and more importantly WANT to make. At that point the publisher steps in and does the marketing according to the game's strengths. Thats how it used to be and thats how its supposed to be. Everything else is just bullshit.

I have a nifty blue line!

36. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 22:35 Endo

Oh, my bad. Thank you.

Polite, intelligent analysis in a comments thread? God help us, what have we come to?

EA's made some bad moves and they've made some good moves. I think at this point we as gamers should be cheering efforts to course correct with good moves just as much as we lambast the bad ones. In doing so, we offer positive reinforcement and teach good behavior rather than instilling a "well, everyone hates everything we ever do, so fuck'em" attitude that many jaded people in the gaming industry are starting to get (myself included)...

~c.

For the past decade and counting, EA has not released anything worth more to me than a used mouse turd. Why would I care what they do now?

35. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 20:40 Phasenoise

You guys are way too cynical. This will return EA to the glory days of Archon, Pinball construction set, Racing destruction set, MULE, Sevel Cities of Gold, etc.

Wait, no, that's right. When EA was not a steaming pile of racoon feces they trumpeted the development teams: FreeFall Associates, Dan(ielle) Bunten, Bill Budge, etc. That was before the yearly release of the same exact games with new textures, and 20% of the content split out into preorder incentives and day one DLC.

EA used to be amazing. Sorrow. Sadness.

34. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 20:30 shinchan0s

EA just needs to make good games on the cheap (god, what a concept) instead of wasting shareholder money on some hotshot marketing guy who's just going to pull stuff out of his butt anyway. They could even use the extra money to hire more PR guys!  

33. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 19:49 Redmask

Oh, my bad. Thank you.

~c.

When that good news arrives, let me know. The addition of yet another marketing drone isn't exactly what I had in mind.

32. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 19:34 The Half Elf

Overpriced coffee Marketing guy now works for EA with the release of Sims 4 with less standard features of the previous game.

Goodbye EA! It was nice knowing you.

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

31. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 19:30 Devinoch

Oh, my bad. Thank you.

~c.

30. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 18:36 Quboid

Oh, my bad. Thank you.  

- Quboid

29. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 18:30 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 15:44:

Thanks ... ?

Sorry, now I am being dense. Do you think I'm saying otherwise or what? I don't think they'd make better games to be all lovely, I think they'd make better games to extract more money - how many more units/DLC would SimCity have sold if it hadn't been always-online?

The cynicism I refer to is where I presume Blue was calling bullshit on marketing improving a game - if he was referring to how this is far from certain, or he literally meant that it's unusual for this to be mentioned then I'm certainly wrong on that count.

Oh, no, it was an honest compliment. Sorry if it didn't come across that way. I'm suspicious of any move EA makes, so your point is one I hadn't considered: that this could actually a move by them to address a shortcoming. I appreciated that.

28. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 15:44 Quboid

jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 15:22:
Quboid wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 12:42:
Tall Non-Fat DLC with extra microtransactions topped with freshly whipped developer.

If this means they do some market research and actually use it when designing games, I'm all for it. If they'd done market research for SimCity 2013, they'd have realised that people won't just get over the whole always-online thing. Blue's cynicism seems misplaced for once; while it remains to be seen what difference if any this makes, they could be addressing one of their biggest flaws.

Thanks, Q. It's for thoughts like these that I come here. Otherwise I would have just assumed it was just more "develop products to extract the most amount of money possible."

Thanks ... ?

Sorry, now I am being dense. Do you think I'm saying otherwise or what? I don't think they'd make better games to be all lovely, I think they'd make better games to extract more money - how many more units/DLC would SimCity have sold if it hadn't been always-online?

The cynicism I refer to is where I presume Blue was calling bullshit on marketing improving a game - if he was referring to how this is far from certain, or he literally meant that it's unusual for this to be mentioned then I'm certainly wrong on that count.

- Quboid

27. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 15:28 jdreyer

EA's Taps Starbucks Vet

I dunno about tapping any of the vets, but there are quite a few baristas I would tap.

Devilish

26. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 15:22 jdreyer

Quboid wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 12:42:
Tall Non-Fat DLC with extra microtransactions topped with freshly whipped developer.

If this means they do some market research and actually use it when designing games, I'm all for it. If they'd done market research for SimCity 2013, they'd have realised that people won't just get over the whole always-online thing. Blue's cynicism seems misplaced for once; while it remains to be seen what difference if any this makes, they could be addressing one of their biggest flaws.

Thanks, Q. It's for thoughts like these that I come here. Otherwise I would have just assumed it was just more "develop products to extract the most amount of money possible."

25. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 15:17 jdreyer

Pigeon wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 10:09:
InBlack wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 10:00:
Cutter wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 09:44:
They believe that marketing is more important than the product itself.

In a sentence, this is basically the biggest problem in gaming today.

It's the biggest problem with a lot of industries. Why bother creating a better product when all you have to do is convince people the product is better.

Works for movies. See "Transformers" and "Michael Bay"

24. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 14:25 Quboid

harlock wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:51:
Quboid wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:38:
Beamer wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 11:03:
Do you like the cookie you bought from them? Someone from marketing likely made the decision for them to carry it.

Are you mocking him? He didn't say that they're good, it's just a statement of fact.

saying that someone does something you like, generally implies an indication that they are "good".. its not really a huge mental stretch to make that connection.. well maybe for some people it is, i dunno

also, i never said they were not good, cant you see that? man, whats wrong with you

Oh you were, I honestly wasn't sure. "Cookie good therefore cookie man good" is logic befitting a caveman and while the "maybe for some people" dig would have been a decent attempt at mocking my supposed stupidity, it is let down by it highlighting how simplistically you view things.

It seems like a fair bet that your last sentence was also an attempt to mock me. The thing is, I actually didn't say that you said they were bad. Unlike you, I didn't imply it. I didn't approach the subject at all. Your comment about "i [sic] never said" was, ironically, in response to a comment I *actually* never said.

You're right to keep practising mocking. You're really not very good at it.

- Quboid

23. Re: EA's Taps Starbucks Vet as CMO Sep 3, 2014, 13:51 harlock

Quboid wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 13:38:
Beamer wrote on Sep 3, 2014, 11:03:
Do you like the cookie you bought from them? Someone from marketing likely made the decision for them to carry it.

Are you mocking him? He didn't say that they're good, it's just a statement of fact.

saying that someone does something you like, generally implies an indication that they are "good".. its not really a huge mental stretch to make that connection.. well maybe for some people it is, i dunno

also, i never said they were not good, cant you see that? man, whats wrong with you

42 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo