Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players

An update on the Quake Live website describes plans to change id Software's online shooter as they prepare to release it on Steam. The goal is to make Quake Live more accessible to new players, which is an interesting approach to this version of Quake III Arena, an almost 15 year-old first-person shooter that has always catered to an extremely hardcore audience. For those who have never stopped improving at the game since 1999 (and if you've played, you know they're out there), the original game mechanics will be preserved in a "Classic Duel" mode. Here's word on this attempt to improve the game's mass appeal:

These new changes have been encapsulated within the default Quake Live ruleset:

New Quake Live Ruleset

• Players may now hold jump to continuously jump.
  • Players may now hold forward and jump to 'bunny hop', allowing them to slowly gain up to 2x their base movement speed.
  • Introduced Loadouts in select modes; allowing players to select one Primary Weapon (hmg, rl, lg, rg) and one Secondary Weapon (sg, gl, pg, mg).
  • Added the command "weapon toggle" to toggle between your Primary and Secondary weapons. Defaults to "f" for new users.
  • Unified weapon respawn time to 5 seconds across all game modes.
  • Unified friendly fire, disabled across all game modes.
  • Added global Ammo Packs, in lieu of weapon specific ammo, where each pack grants you a small amount of ammo for each weapon in your inventory.
  • Reduced ammo respawn time from 40 seconds to 10 seconds.
  • Added in-world item timers for "major" items, including armors, megahealth, power-ups, and medkit.
  • Items have taller pickup collision boxes, so that players will not miss items as they jump over them.
  • Added Power-up Spawn POIs, that appear 10 seconds before a power-up spawns.
  • Added Power-up POIs, that indicate when an available power-up is available in the arena.

For players who wish to largely avoid the new major changes, the legacy style of play has been preserved within a "Classic" ruleset. All of our public Duel servers run in Classic mode. Subscribers may host additional classic servers using our "Create Match" feature. This includes the launching of Standard Classic servers, which any player may freely join.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Sep 2, 2014, 11:36 Fantaz

i hate bunny hoppers... stupid that they made it easier to bhop.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 29, 2014, 03:04 InBlack

Scheherazade wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 19:19:
KS wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 11:07:
They should have gotten rid of bunny hopping and just set the max speed to that.

It was a trick taking advantage of poor code that made some kind of angle running/jumping faster than straight line (IIRC). In any case, it should never have existed and is just a grotesque irritation with no real gameplay value aside from the speed.

Hup hup hup hup hup hup everwhar hup hup hup hup hup.

As someone who has worked on mods and has seen the code: nope.

The bunny hopping and rocket jumping IS coded in explicitly.

It is NOT a bug. It is explicit and intentional.

You may be thinking of the doom wall running bug.

-scheherazade

Doom wall running was awesome. If I remember correctly in the original d1.exe and d2.exe it only worked when wallrunning "north".

The plasma pickup bug, was basically a feature of D2M1 dueling. If you couldnt pick up the plasma from spawn you were basically doomed.

Ahhh good times Cool

I have a nifty blue line!

38. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 19:22 Scheherazade

[delete, browser F'd up]  

37. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 19:19 Scheherazade

KS wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 11:07:
They should have gotten rid of bunny hopping and just set the max speed to that.

It was a trick taking advantage of poor code that made some kind of angle running/jumping faster than straight line (IIRC). In any case, it should never have existed and is just a grotesque irritation with no real gameplay value aside from the speed.

Hup hup hup hup hup hup everwhar hup hup hup hup hup.

As someone who has worked on mods and has seen the code: nope.

The bunny hopping and rocket jumping IS coded in explicitly.

It is NOT a bug. It is explicit and intentional.

You may be thinking of the doom wall running bug.

-scheherazade

36. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 18:43 Optional Nickname!

Smurfs use macros, timed or otherwise, to maximize the numerous Quake engine exploits.

Most(?) players hold forward/tap left or right while jumping already. If only to ensure that the acceleration bug (easter-egg? feature?) exploit triggers.

Global ammo packs are fail. Defeats strategic ground defending and 'Dirty Harrying'. Did he shoot 2 rockets, or three?

With most video cards handling physics and FPS performance at a high level utterly unheard of during the initial engine release, people tend to jump higher and react more quickly than the predictive algorithms can handle. Larger hit boxes/collision are welcome.

All of these changes increase DPS, hardly noob friendly.

The correct way to assist the noob is to simply grant him handicaps which disappear as he climbs the leaderboard. Wholesale global changes are pointless to making QuakeIII more 'appealing'.

35. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 18:17 Unknown Soldier

Slick wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 12:24:
are people that inept that they can't figure out how to immediately download chrome, firefox, or fucking netscape navigator?

Yes, sad to say, most of them are.

You know how I know you haven't worked in IT Support?

34. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 18:12 Asmo

The original "mechanic" was a bug that was exploited (often resulting in dramatic reduction in keyboard life), and while it became defacto accepted, RSI inducing gameplay shouldn't be a "feature".

Then again, I haven't played Q3/QL for more than a few moments of nostalgia in over a decade, so I'm not much fazed either way...

33. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 18:03 Squirmer

Benefit of the doubt guys, remember how well universal ammo worked in Invisible War.  

32. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 17:54 BobBob

I stopped caring after Carmack left. His legacy will be remembered for creating amazing games and releasing them as open source.

http://tinyurl.com/quakeslegacy

Just a few examples:

http://ioquake3.org
http://www.iodoom3.org
http://www.etlegacy.com

Following in his footsteps:

https://github.com/JACoders

Support the open source teams!

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2014, 18:08.

31. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 17:22 ViRGE

Creston wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 12:00:
Making bunny hopping automatic is retarded. I have no problem with bunny hopping, but at least in the old fashion it's somewhat of a skill. Now it's just "hold forward and space."

I give this decision five dismissive bunny hops.
Meanwhile as a Tribes player I hardly bat an eye at this. When we discovered skiing we scripted it almost immediately, and it was integrated into the game proper in successive versions.

Keyboard gymnastics shouldn't be required to play a game. If you're really good, then it's your ability to react, aim, and guess your opponent's moves that should set you ahead of the rest.

30. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 17:12 Spektr

Boooooooo! Is ID software behind this? Doesn't bode well for Doom4...
Didn't know having different ammo boxes was hardcore... but it's definitely a plus in term of accessibility... replace the gibs with flowers and make it a 4+ shooter :p

29. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 17:11 Mordecai Walfish

I had so much hope for quakelive when it was first announced and then for about a year after it was released.. but then they started on this repeated trend of dividing an already fledgling community and I stopped playing because of the repeated mismanagement that was going on with the quakelive project.

With it coming to steam this nerfed version may be popular with people just starting to play, but what happens when they decide they want to get better? They have this obstacle of re-learning the game with different mechanics, in a game that takes umpteen thousand hours to even be slightly competent in the current competitive scene.

It's an interesting idea.. but not a good one.

I guess there's the interesting idea that it will be much easier for people playing with gamepads in steam's big picture mode. If it was limited to gamepad-only players this might actually make alot of sense, because they would never be competitive with kb/m players in the first place, and the gamepad makes some of the changed mechanics very difficult to pull off.

28. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 17:02 Fletch

Theo wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 15:58:
I love how at least 2 people have explained about how this does not effect the pro scene or dualing period and its going unseen cause its better to troll....
Awww... nobody listening to you, pumpkin?
Play in "Classic Duel Mode" or the new "Console Duel Mode".

Better? The point was that the new rules are the same kind of arcadey, hand-holding concessions made for console gamers.

27. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 16:51 Xenovore

Maybe they should rename it while they are at it, 'cause it's not much like the original Quake Live any more (let alone the original Quake 3: Arena).

"Quake Lite"?
"Quake for Dummies"?
"Happy Fun Quake"?
"Care Bear Quake"?

26. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 15:58 Theo

pagb wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 13:24:
All of our public Duel servers run in Classic mode.
Phew. Too bad I still enjoyed FFA

FFA still in decent shape it just escalates quicker now, and you don't start at spawn completely helpless. If anything it adds to the fun in a none serious mode.

Fletch wrote on Aug 28, 2014, 12:52:
Play in "Classic Duel" or the new "Console Duel".

I love how at least 2 people have explained about how this does not effect the pro scene or dualing period and its going unseen cause its better to troll....

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

25. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 15:30 Axis

I'm glad for them mixing things up a bit to get new players involved, still the only *true* twitch skill solo game out there - too hard and demotivating for many of the ezmode gen...

Yours truly,

Axis

24. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 14:35 rjdriver

The timer is nice. Everything else is BS. But the Global Ammo thing is the absolute worst. They are taking a key strategy element and eliminating. I'll stick to private servers and LAN games, thank you.  
rjdriver,

http://www.bullseyecrosshairs.com

23. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 14:25 beigemore

Bunny hopping is half the feel of the game. :/

EDIT: Ok, so maybe that change isn't too bad.

A basic "bunny" and auto-hop mechanic has been introduced that allows players to simply hold forward and jump to build up some speed. However, because the new bunnyjumping only provides a limited amount of accel gain, and is only effective on straightaways, players will still need to learn strafe jumping over time we hope that this new mechanic will allow both general movement and gameplay to become more accessible encouraging them to continue to play so that they may over time become more accustom to the finer side of Quake.

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2014, 14:31.

22. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 14:17 DanteUK

I stopped playing when they killed Linux support
Nothing here makes me want to play it again. ( quite the opposite )

Original Quake3 runs beautifully on my Raspberry Pi

21. Re: New Quake Live Ruleset Courts New Players Aug 28, 2014, 14:06 BobBob

Suggestions to improve the game even further and get rid of those pesky skill requirements:

• All players should have bright pink skins and be seen through walls.

• Holding down the fire button should auto-aim and continuously shoot opponents.

• The entire scoring system should be replaced with only three indicators Good, Great, and High Achiever.

• We need more members!

Please join the NGLB Alliance. That is No Gamer Left Behind. Together we can make EVERYONE a winner!

Grouphug

This comment was edited on Aug 28, 2014, 14:22.

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo