Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

EA's $1B DLC Goal

A story on Bloomberg about the stadiums full of money EA expects to earn from the new Madden game describes the publisher's lofty general goals for add-on content, saying they hope to reach the one billion dollar mark in DLC sales this year. EA expects Madden to be a major contributor to that figure, as they say add-on content sales for the tackle football series were up 350% last quarter compared with the same period last year. Thanks nin via Joystiq.

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Sep 7, 2014, 12:46 Beamer

Ant wrote on Sep 7, 2014, 11:58:
DLCs suck. Another reason why I don't game these days.

Why not just ignore dlc? Like I've said, I don't but it and I've yet to feel like I've missed out. I do a good amount of cod mp, too, and don't even but the maps.

No dlc is essential, like no expansions ever where.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Sep 7, 2014, 11:58 Ant

DLCs suck. Another reason why I don't game these days.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

43. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 23:07 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 20:11:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 18:50:
Beamer wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 17:08:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 16:59:
Ran the numbers that would mean 25 million people (does it even sell that many copies) would have to spend $40 each to hit a billion.

Went to check it sells around 5 million, so I'll be nice and say 7.5 million. Now assuming everyone bought DLC for Madden which we know doesn't happen that would then mean each person would have to spend $133 each on top of the game itself to hit a million. Figure 1/4 of the people buy DLC that would mean on avg they would have to spend an additional $525 each.

Yeah this all makes sense.

Reread the blurb - they have a $1B goal, and expect Madden to contribute. That doesn't mean they expect Madden to be 100% of it. I'm sure they know damn well that FIFA will be what pulls the bulk of the sport DLC.

LOL, thanks I knew that when I read it yesterday, just going back around and forgot and ran #'s based on 1 billion / total sales. Thanks for correcting.

Don't worry, when I first read your post I shook my head and went "how can they be that stupid?"
It took me a few seconds to remember it isn't what they said.

We should rag on Blue for that sentence

"A story on Bloomberg about the stadiums full of money EA expects to earn from the new Madden game describes the publisher's lofty general goals for add-on content, saying they hope to reach the one billion dollar mark in DLC sales this year."

A single word in the middle of the long sentence changes the entire meaning.

Compare with the article:
"Revenue from extra content for all its games may reach a record $1 billion this year, according to the company."

Don't hate me Blue

42. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 20:11 Beamer

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 18:50:
Ran the numbers that would mean 25 million people (does it even sell that many copies) would have to spend $40 each to hit a billion.

Went to check it sells around 5 million, so I'll be nice and say 7.5 million. Now assuming everyone bought DLC for Madden which we know doesn't happen that would then mean each person would have to spend $133 each on top of the game itself to hit a million. Figure 1/4 of the people buy DLC that would mean on avg they would have to spend an additional $525 each.

Reread the blurb - they have a $1B goal, and expect Madden to contribute. That doesn't mean they expect Madden to be 100% of it. I'm sure they know damn well that FIFA will be what pulls the bulk of the sport DLC.

LOL, thanks I knew that when I read it yesterday, just going back around and forgot and ran #'s based on 1 billion / total sales. Thanks for correcting.

Don't worry, when I first read your post I shook my head and went "how can they be that stupid?"
It took me a few seconds to remember it isn't what they said.

-------------

41. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 18:50 HorrorScope

40. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 17:49 Slick

seems like the crux of it revolves around these "trading card" itemization mechanics, which DO directly affect gameplay, so it's all about how easy it is to earn these same credits through normal gameplay.

I know that some people were very upset that you could pay to unlock say all vehicle unlocks in BF3, but to me I unlocked them all in the first month of playing anyways. It seemed like a tax on lazy people or people who don't have the time.

and yes, sue me, they're lazy. i don't buy a game and expect to have everything unlocked in a week of casual playing and complain when i don't. then complain more when they offer these unlocks for $2.99. it's a shortcut. shameless yes, but not at all affecting the value of the title as-is when launched.

the only real question is weather they are by design very unlikely to be unlocked through normal time spent playing the game, or if they're basically saying you have to pay money to experience the full breadth of the game, because it would take 1000 hours of gameplay to unlock the majority of the game.

this is a very important distinction when comparing paid DLC models, and IMO the only one worth discussing.

*ALSO we need another word rather than DLC, cause i hear DLC and i think of $1.99 virtual trading card packs, or a different colour skin for my players. I don't think of a proper expansion, with new maps, skins, models, gamemodes, etc. to me that'll always be an "expansion pack" in my eyes, but it seems that it's all lumped together into this awful term "DLC". and it's pretty obvious that whatever "DLC" is, everyone hates it.

You've been slicked. Wash up. -nin

39. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 17:08 Beamer

-------------

38. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 16:59 HorrorScope

37. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 16:23 Beamer

I mean, part of the reason why the prices have stayed stagnant, or even declined, is that the market has grown while the cost of distribution has declined. Yeah, the cost to make the game is huge, but the cost of distribution hasn't. Making a game and stamping it onto CDs is pretty cheap. Digital is also cheap, mostly, 30% of total revenue. Since most of the cost is fixed, not variable with how many copies you sell, the market growing means that you make more money per game.

Still, we get a lot of value for our cash now. "Value." Everyone defines that differently. I remember buying Final Fight for the SNES for, I think, $79.99. You could beat that game in something like 25 minutes, and there was no variation. Value sucked, but I loved it.

-------------

36. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 15:41 Slick

Oh and beamer, i %100 agree with you about the mounting cost of videogames, and yet the prices pretty much stay the same (yay consumer!). I was also paying $50 for NES cartridges (however i got Loom on floppies for about $60, didn't have a CD-ROM yet).

Then when you consider inflation and the quality of games improving, we're all getting better value with time, for less money (well it's the same amount of money, but that money is worth less, and we're unarguably getting a lot more production, weather the games are "better" or not). if things had stayed the same, with inflation we'd now be paying $300 for a new super mario brothers 8-bit game built by a team of 6 people.

I remember the first "multi-million dollar" game I played (Phantasmagoria), and i was like WOW i bet games with this kinda budget only come around every decade or so. NOPE! pretty much every "AAA" title is putting forward tens of millions these days.

I bring up this argument mostly everytime people complain about how expensive the new Battlefield game is with DLC, and that EA has "screwed everyone again" bla bla bla. so i gently remind them that:

BF1942 + all xpacks = $110 (10+ years ago)
BF2 + all xpacks = $110
BF3 + all xpacks = $110
BF4 + all xpacks = $110 (1 year ago)

and then i usually get screamed at by some wanna-be economics major who informs me that my inflation argument is without any merit, then demands that i detail how infact we're getting more for less money today, because that's obviously not the case because... well cause ea sucks, and uggghh, well...

35. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 15:31 Slick

not really relevant, but Plants vs. Zombies 2 is a F2P game, it's not DLC on a purchased game, totally different class. And infact it's one of the much better implemented F2P games out there, I've finished the game on my girl's ipad without spending a dime, or ever being gimped like candy crush (you lost all your lives, wait 30 minutes or pay now to play). And PVZ2 was ESPECIALLY good for the F2P model considering the other EA F2P abomination recently released "Dungeon Keeper" which i think is generally considered the worst F2P game ever. you practically have to pay a nickel every time you tap the screen.

This comment was edited on Aug 27, 2014, 15:41.

34. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 10:24 Verno

I will never touch a sports game again if they start doing that.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

33. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 09:56 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Aug 27, 2014, 06:35:
I wonder if at some point Madden will go Free To Play. They'll include a couple of teams like the Bucs and the Browns, and all the other teams will have to be purchased as DLC.

EA would love to do that. Only $9.99 for your favorite team!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 09:43 KS

EA expects Madden to be a major contributor to that [$1 billion] figure,

"That's a lotta Polish kielbasa and kraut dogs!"

31. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 06:35 jdreyer

I wonder if at some point Madden will go Free To Play. They'll include a couple of teams like the Bucs and the Browns, and all the other teams will have to be purchased as DLC.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

30. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 04:00 Fantaz

EA should put just one tenth ($100 million) into the C&C franchise for once...  

29. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 03:29 InBlack

Greeed to make you bleeed.  

I have a nifty blue line!

28. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 02:45 KTR

That's Twitch money!

Man, I though things would change after Riccitiello stepped down.

27. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 02:39 Luke

Well all you DLC lovers go support your EA.... Clown 's  

26. Re: EA's $1B DLC Goal Aug 27, 2014, 02:02 headshot

i always buy the addons (as CE) for wow, sc 2 and diablo 3. it's a nobrainer for me, because i always sink more than enough time in those games to justify the money spent. and i even use the character transfer services from time to time to consolidate my most ancient toons on one realm, to build my legacy!

that being said, those are worthwhile investments because wow will be around for another decade. but if i bought a DLC for madden this year, what about next year / madden? those DLC were good for six to nine months and then what? new game, new DLC, start all over again? how can the DLC content for thew new madden justify the money spent for merely one year, if everything is outdated with the next iteration?

investing upon my wow account over nine years is something i can do because it lasts. it builds something bigger than my normal game purchases are. but buying those things, knowing that they release wow 2 next year? never.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo