Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video

Here's a video showing off a modified version of Valve's Half-Life 2 being played with an Oculus Rift headset and Razer's Hydra motion controllers for a demonstration of a first-person shooter with a virtual reality interface. There are some admitted issues with the volume and resolution of the clip, and some oddities about the game such as disembodied hands, but the overall effect is very impressive, and does a good job of showing some elements of the VR interface that may not have previously been obvious, such as raising the crossbow to your "eye" to view through the scope. Thanks Kotaku.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 25, 2014, 08:13 Tom

At the same time, hopefully VR won't be held back too much by the drive to keep costs as low as possible. Enthusiasts will be throwing thousands of dollars at computing power to handle certain applications in VR. There will undoubtedly be a market for an upscale VR headset that delivers higher quality.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 25, 2014, 06:23 Aero

I'm a bit concerned that the advancements in display panels they will need for the next version may be too specialized (like an AMOLED curved in two dimensions, or at least curved along the vertical dimension) and may not allow for taking advantage of the massive production numbers for the phone and tablet industry. One of the great things about the Rift is that it isn't stupid expensive, so I hope things work out. It probably will work out, but the price point right now is just on the high side of perfect. Adding another couple hundred bucks to the sticker could well sink it.  

28. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 25, 2014, 00:16 Tom

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 23:14:
So you felt that was pretty good and doable? Would you say it is better than just a flat monitor in that kind of setup?

I was thinking at first that was the next step, just getting a more immersive monitor using the same ole, but I see they are going full on. I just know a lot of these 3d style devices, it isn't easy to handle in most cases and it will be a large entry barrier for many. I'm glad the system can be just basic or be full on and probably many variations in-between, that just gives us more ways to play when we feel like something different.

It seemed pretty good, but I need to spend more time with it to know for sure if I'd rather play an FPS this way or just use a monitor. I think I'm going to try to do my initial playthrough of Bioshock: Infinite entirely in the Rift as a test.

The 3D and increased FOV make for greater immersion, and of course the headset is blocking out the rest of your surroundings in the real world. You see only the game world. You get a lot of the "you are there" feeling that VR brings to the table even if you don't make use of the headtracking, although the headtracking does add a LOT to that feeling.

The main downsides to gaming with the Rift right now are the limited resolution, significantly increased computing power needed, roughness of supporting software, motion sickness, and it's a bit clunky to get in/out of the setup with headset+headphones and possibly tangling cords. You will also have some serious marks on your face after a while.

Regarding the motion sickness, it seems to vary drastically from person to person from what I've read. An FPS game where you start and stop all the time and turn your view without turning your real head can cause motion sickness. But, it's not been as bad for me as I expected. I had a bit of nausea with my first VR FPS experience (HL2) but it never got serious. I also seem to be handling it better with practice, although it's still too soon to know for sure. It's still a little troublesome to run around very quickly while also turning all over the place, and cutscenes where they take control of the camera are uncomfortable but tolerable.

Need to give it some more time.

27. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 23:22 eRe4s3r

PHJF wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 22:15:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 20:03:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 19:52:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 19:39:
My first impression is gonna decide everything (for me) with this tech.

One shot? I'll treat it like anything else, yes it has to be good, if it isn't but then something else is or it is improved, so be it. Good enough for me.

Well, it really depends on whether it's 100% immersive or not.. of course I am not going to discount the entire tech, but besides OR there isn't really a lot of comparable hardware coming. So if this fails it's not gonna be something I would be very happy about when I would buy the CV1.. maybe I should wait for the revision of that? Sigh... can't decide.

I hope I can test it somewhere close-by

http://avegant.com/

Ehem

-> 45 diagonal field of view
Screen in a black ocean

26. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 23:14 HorrorScope

Tom wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 22:50:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 22:27:
What if you just use the Rift as a display device? Enclosed, large FOV and 3d. Turn off head tracking and then play with a K/M. To me it seems like a more awesome monitor in that way. What could be cool is you could go full VR with new style of games, but you could also play the older one's with k/m and simply be more immersed.

I experimented with doing exactly this yesterday and today with the DK2. I played HL2, Skyrim, and Bioshock Infinite (the latter two via vorpX). It's possible to look around with the headtracking, and that works fairly well, but I usually find myself just looking straight ahead and using the KB/mouse as I would with a monitor. At slower points in the game when there's interesting stuff to look at, it makes more sense to use the headtracking. It is pretty cool.

So you felt that was pretty good and doable? Would you say it is better than just a flat monitor in that kind of setup?

I was thinking at first that was the next step, just getting a more immersive monitor using the same ole, but I see they are going full on. I just know a lot of these 3d style devices, it isn't easy to handle in most cases and it will be a large entry barrier for many. I'm glad the system can be just basic or be full on and probably many variations in-between, that just gives us more ways to play when we feel like something different.

25. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 22:50 Tom

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 22:27:
What if you just use the Rift as a display device? Enclosed, large FOV and 3d. Turn off head tracking and then play with a K/M. To me it seems like a more awesome monitor in that way. What could be cool is you could go full VR with new style of games, but you could also play the older one's with k/m and simply be more immersed.

I experimented with doing exactly this yesterday and today with the DK2. I played HL2, Skyrim, and Bioshock Infinite (the latter two via vorpX). It's possible to look around with the headtracking, and that works fairly well, but I usually find myself just looking straight ahead and using the KB/mouse as I would with a monitor. At slower points in the game when there's interesting stuff to look at, it makes more sense to use the headtracking. It is pretty cool.

Of course, DCS and Elite: Dangerous are really far better uses of the Rift right now. DCS especially. Once I [mostly] got rid of the stuttering on head turning, got the mouse working for interacting with cockpit controls, and learned that the view can be re-centered with numpad 5, it turned out to be even better than I'd hoped. I actually felt like I was going to fall out once when I was leaning out the side of the airplane while flying the Mustang with the canopy popped...

24. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 22:27 HorrorScope

SirKnight wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 20:40:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 16:28:
entr0py wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 16:03:
It makes me realize that Oculus needs to get cracking on a controller before the commercial release. Mice and keyboards or gamepads aren't really adequate for VR. Developers will want some kind of standard controller they can rely on the customer having.

I don't agree, I'm fine with using keyboard and mouse in combination with the Oculus. Those hyrda controllers are cool but I'm not sure if I would use them.

KB/mouse feels really awkward and unnatural to me with the rift (both DK 1 and 2). Even a standard controller doesn't feel quite right. When I use my DK2 I really feel the need to use my hands in a natural way. So something like the Hydra will help a lot with that.

23. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 22:15 PHJF

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 20:03:

One shot? I'll treat it like anything else, yes it has to be good, if it isn't but then something else is or it is improved, so be it. Good enough for me.

Well, it really depends on whether it's 100% immersive or not.. of course I am not going to discount the entire tech, but besides OR there isn't really a lot of comparable hardware coming. So if this fails it's not gonna be something I would be very happy about when I would buy the CV1.. maybe I should wait for the revision of that? Sigh... can't decide.

http://avegant.com/

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 20:40 SirKnight

Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 16:28:
It makes me realize that Oculus needs to get cracking on a controller before the commercial release. Mice and keyboards or gamepads aren't really adequate for VR. Developers will want some kind of standard controller they can rely on the customer having.

I don't agree, I'm fine with using keyboard and mouse in combination with the Oculus. Those hyrda controllers are cool but I'm not sure if I would use them.

KB/mouse feels really awkward and unnatural to me with the rift (both DK 1 and 2). Even a standard controller doesn't feel quite right. When I use my DK2 I really feel the need to use my hands in a natural way. So something like the Hydra will help a lot with that.

21. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 20:03 eRe4s3r

20. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 19:52 HorrorScope

19. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 19:39 eRe4s3r

Talisorn wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 19:14:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 14:21:
I am ready, bring it to market!

I have one. It's not ready. While the head tracking is spot on, the screendoor effect and chromatic aberration is still very noticeable. They need a new approach to screens for VR. They either need to look at concave/bendable screens or larger pixels to eliminate the black space.

Also, HL2 made me very sick ... but I think that's just a setting thing.

Are you talking about the DK2? Is the consumer version going to have the same issues though?

I am really hyped for this, but I won't buy it until it's perfect. My first impression is gonna decide everything (for me) with this tech.

18. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 19:14 Talisorn

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 14:21:
I am ready, bring it to market!

I have one. It's not ready. While the head tracking is spot on, the screendoor effect and chromatic aberration is still very noticeable. They need a new approach to screens for VR. They either need to look at concave/bendable screens or larger pixels to eliminate the black space.

Also, HL2 made me very sick ... but I think that's just a setting thing.

17. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 18:30 Tom

Geez, and here I thought just plain old HL2 in VR with KB/mouse was pretty cool. Guess it's time to dust off the ol' Hydra. This looks too fun to play around with.  

16. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 17:22 jacobvandy

DangerDog wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 17:14:
You can tell I'm a Rift user by how thick my glasses are

That's a common misconception... The screens being so close to your face have no bearing on your eyesight becoming poor, when your eyes are actually focusing on a point that is much farther away within that virtual environment. I've spent quite a bit of time with 3D Vision in the past, and it's actually much LESS straining on the eyes to play in 3D, than in normal 2D. Your eyes will be focused on what would be 5 or 10 or 15 feet behind the screen, depending on the scene and the depth of the effect (a setting that is adjustable), instead of the actual surface of your display a few feet or a few inches away, with the Rift. Nearsightedness is no more of a risk in playing 3D games than it is just being indoors in general for prolonged periods of time.

15. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 17:19 eRe4s3r

DangerDog wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 17:14:

Would rather go trough life with glasses, or with no VR ? I know what I would choose... (already short-sighted, thanks to bad genetics..)

14. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 17:14 DangerDog

13. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 16:44 Cutter

Fantaz wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 14:12:
this is the future...

Only if it comes with a barf bag.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

12. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 16:36 Cabezone

Those types of controls will have have their place, like with that dish walking thing someone is making.  
"Pants! Pants! Pants!"

11. Re: Half-Life 2 Oculus Rift Video Aug 24, 2014, 16:28 Sepharo

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo