Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2014, 15:15 Mashiki Amiketo

Be honest, it's not "the internet is a vile place" it's "the world is a vile place." The internet is no more different than the places off the screen. And to toss in, I know those various women who back in the days of not all that long ago who were being vicious, abusive, and engaging in all forms of misandry against gamers. Until of course, they got into gaming and experienced their own abuse back at them.

I'm also sure, anyone that's been though highschool can remember the same types of things happening, and if you watched them "grow up" they continued doing exactly the same types of things, until they got into gaming and then started crying. There's no shortage of mean girls who grew up into mean women, and then got a return on their investment.

Then again, this entire thing isn't about that. It still remains about corruption. But hey, if you want to see a complete level of assholeness from the sjw's, notice that after thefineyoungcapitalists got an assload of money from 4chan, they decided to go out of their way and hack their funding page.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 15:02 jdreyer

What I really, really, REALLY want to hear on this topic is a woman's point of view.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

23. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 15:01 Prez

And yes, many are implying it. Why else would they be extrapolating what Zoe is doing to other "SJWs?" What do you think is the main hypothesis of the above video? Why would people be using Zoe as a launching off point for long winded YouTube rants?

My take is that the Zoey Quinn thing (I hesitate to call it a "scandal" because it trivializes the word somewhat in my mind) is being used by some to show what hypocrites some SJW's are (Not all - some mean well and are honest if misguided). One could easily find many, many archived preachy, moralizing articles at places like Kotaku, RPS, The Escapist, and Destructoid that bash us over the head about what scum we gamers are for a myriad of things concerning this issue. Specifically we were told we suck as a whole because Zoe Quinn was harassed and the victim of misogyny which has now been proven a fabrication and apparently in relationships with those writing about it. That's a 'corruption in journalism' thing far more than a "sexism is phony" thing. Unfortunately the sexism issue is collateral damage when you consider that Zoe Quinn was a major champion against sexism and was caught fabricating it for publicity. Not only that, some in the videogame press were apparently complicit in it, and are still actively squashing the story as best they can. That sort of thing would harm any cause.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:54 Mad Max RW

Why does someone have to be open about their gender or sexual orientation or whatever else when posting on a video game website? This is a hobby. We're here as gamers first. It rises above all else and is what we have in common. That should be a uniting force. Defining people based on their gender, religion, skin color, etc. is a scumbag thing to do. Leave that crap out of gaming. You know where I see a lot of it going on? Kotaku. Rock Paper Shotgun. And Beamer.

But I guess the above statement makes me a misogynistic sociopath according to ONE GUY.

21. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:50 Fantaz

this Thunderf00t guy is a moron... have to disagree with almost everything he says. started losing credibility the moment he opened up with solar roadways. sounds like he puts down anything successful. kind of reminds me of the Blue's community, putting down RSI because Star Citizen is successful.  

20. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:44 ASeven

Beamer wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 13:37:
May I ask, then, what you think people like Cutter, Mad Max, ASeven, etc., are doing to "fight sexism in gaming?"

I don't care about non-issues and empowering professional victims that use censorship to shutting any discussion they hate. I am part of Amnesty International and have done concrete stuff to actually fight oppression against women in the world. What have YOU done other than being behind a keyboard promoting a non-issue?

And don't you dare say that beheading women for not wearing a piece of cloth and "sexism" in gaming are both problems. One is a real problem, the other is a non-issue.

Have a pic if this is too much for your thick head to understand.

http://i.imgur.com/qS4RcAC.png

19. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:44 Cpmartins

Nope. Sexism is not a problem. Assholes are a problem.  

18. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:43 Cpmartins

And there's still repeated and regular discussions that don't respect women

Never seen this here.

adult women are the biggest category of gamer and are outspending most other categories

Really? So why isn't the market shifting towards them? Also source please, that is an interesting fact I've never seen mentioned anywhere.

but I don't think there's a single openly female poster.

Maybe because there isn't one

17. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:41 Sepharo

Cpmartins wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 14:39:
All communities have their toxic elements. Some more, some less. In those communities, you will find sub-communities that frown upon those practices. Those are the ones I looked for when I started playing in them. It took effort. It wasn't an overnight thing. When I joined BWC, my outfit in Planetside 2, I had already played the game some, and the first ten minutes in the game after release were spent shutting the built-in comms. But I looked. Then I found. Because when you look for something, you tend to find it.

The difference is that I didn't keep an album of all the shit being flung everywhere at everyone at all times that is some public platoons. I said fuck it, let me find my space where i'd like to spend my time here.

You started your original post with "Sexism is not a problem". Now you've changed to, I avoid/ignore it.

16. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:39 Cpmartins

All communities have their toxic elements. Some more, some less. In those communities, you will find sub-communities that frown upon those practices. Those are the ones I looked for when I started playing in them. It took effort. It wasn't an overnight thing. When I joined BWC, my outfit in Planetside 2, I had already played the game some, and the first ten minutes in the game after release were spent shutting the built-in comms. But I looked. Then I found. Because when you look for something, you tend to find it.

The difference is that I didn't keep an album of all the shit being flung everywhere at everyone at all times that is some public platoons. I said fuck it, let me find my space where i'd like to spend my time here.

15. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:34 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 14:13:
This is my first post on this topic in years, frankly I find both sides to be extremists.
I would just plainly advise to be nice, treat others as you wish to be treated.

You've done a few drive-bys before, I think, always rational and usually just skirting around the subject rather than diving in.

What drives me insane about it is that this is the only place I go to read about games. The only one. It's a board full of mostly intelligent, rational men between 25 and 50, leaning heavily to the 35 and above crowd.

And there's still repeated and regular discussions that don't respect women. If it's happening here, in a more mature crowd, it's painful to imagine what's happening elsewhere. Of course, then I see a video like this, which goes wide-sweeping, and see the comments, and it's hard not to just hit your head and realize why, despite that article the other day that adult women are the biggest category of gamer and are outspending most other categories, we don't know of a single female poster here. We have one openly gay member, I believe, and one transgendered member that I believe identifies as male, but I don't think there's a single openly female poster.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:33 Cpmartins

No, "Sexism is not a problem" exists because of SJW.  

13. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:30 Beamer

Cpmartins wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 13:53:
Sexism is not a problem.

This is why "SJWs" exist.

-------------

12. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:19 Mad Max RW

Sepharo wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 14:13:

But the internet is vile a place... I don't want to diminish the abuse and I hope things get better but at the same time I agree with many people in this hobby that the campaign against this abuse has often gone too far. What's needed is more active moderation, more respectable communities, not a million blog articles bashing male gamers.

In other words common sense. As long as it's hijacked by frauds who are more interested in manipulating others and fighting there will never be a positive change.

11. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 14:13 Sepharo

Cpmartins wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 13:53:
Sexism is not a problem. I watched the sarkeesian videos as you recommended and by all that is mighty and holy that woman is an insufferable liar. All her arguments are made up and she never, ever, provides any links to anything except her own propaganda.

I looked everywhere I could on my gaming circles and found nothing. Zero. Nada. If anything women are more respected than men, but the sample size is so small I couldn't tell. Again, this is from personal experience.

A lot of Planetside 2, Team Fortress, WoW, Guild Wars 2 and Neverwinter Nights (though the last one isn't a regular choice for me)
On PS2, out of our 120 players (3 platoons) last friday, we had 2 women, and one of them was a commanding officer who was there just to organize and take attendance. WoW and GW2 we had more, maybe 20%? Not a single instance of disrespect on both counts. RF2 i wouldn't know because fuck me if I'm going in VoIP on that.

Your anecdotal evidence is countered by others' anecdotal evidence. One of my female friends is really deep into the fighting game community. She has an album on facebook with hundreds of sexist abuse messages that she gets sent on xbox live. She doesn't even post the majority of them, just a couple of really vile ones once a week for years now.

I've been playing CS for 15 years now. Some communities are really respectful of women gamers and actively try to foster servers where that kind of abuse isn't tolerated. But even in those places kids will join and start up with the abuse over the microphone as soon as they hear a female voice.

But the internet is vile a place... I don't want to diminish the abuse and I hope things get better but at the same time I agree with many people in this hobby that the campaign against this abuse has often gone too far. What's needed is more active moderation, more respectable communities, not a million blog articles bashing male gamers.

This is my first post on this topic in years, frankly I find both sides to be extremists.
I would just plainly advise to be nice, treat others as you wish to be treated.

10. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 13:53 Cpmartins

Sexism is not a problem. I watched the sarkeesian videos as you recommended and by all that is mighty and holy that woman is an insufferable liar. All her arguments are made up and she never, ever, provides any links to anything except her own propaganda.

I looked everywhere I could on my gaming circles and found nothing. Zero. Nada. If anything women are more respected than men, but the sample size is so small I couldn't tell. Again, this is from personal experience.

A lot of Planetside 2, Team Fortress, WoW, Guild Wars 2 and Neverwinter Nights (though the last one isn't a regular choice for me)
On PS2, out of our 120 players (3 platoons) last friday, we had 2 women, and one of them was a commanding officer who was there just to organize and take attendance. WoW and GW2 we had more, maybe 20%? Not a single instance of disrespect on both counts. RF2 i wouldn't know because fuck me if I'm going in VoIP on that.

9. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 13:50 Beamer

Also, it's fun to click on Mad Max's profile and see how many times in his 20 most recent posts he's mentioned my name without me responding. I'm a little saddened that I did earlier.  
-------------

8. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 13:48 Beamer

Prez wrote on Aug 24, 2014, 13:40:
May I ask, then, what you think people like Cutter, Mad Max, ASeven, etc., are doing to "fight sexism in gaming?"

What you fail to realize is that we, including those you listed as far as I know, are not IN the fight per se. At least I know I'm not - I can't "fight" anything when I am not in the industry to begin with. What I do is stand behind and encourage those that are in it who do the right things in the form of my posts. Only a select few here at Blues participate much in this issue beyond observers really. I don't think Cutter saying something a little boorish constitutes "sexism in the industry", do you?

("Zoe Quinn proves all women in gaming are frauds!")

Did anyone say that? If so I missed it. I don't really even remember anyone implying it.

But you are in the industry, Prez. The problem is much less inside many game studios and more from the fans. It's the comments being made on this board.

And yes, many are implying it. Why else would they be extrapolating what Zoe is doing to other "SJWs?" What do you think is the main hypothesis of the above video? Why would people be using Zoe as a launching off point for long winded YouTube rants?

-------------

7. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 13:43 Mad Max RW

Keep digging that hole deeper, Beamer. You hypocrite.  

6. Re: Op Ed Aug 24, 2014, 13:40 Prez

What you fail to realize is that we, including those you listed as far as I know, are not IN the fight per se. At least I know I'm not - I can't "fight" anything when I am not in the industry to begin with. What I do is stand behind and encourage those that are in it who do the right things in the form of my posts. Only a select few here at Blues participate much in this issue beyond observers really. I don't think Cutter saying something a little boorish constitutes "sexism in the industry", do you?

("Zoe Quinn proves all women in gaming are frauds!")

Did anyone say that? If so I missed it. I don't really even remember anyone implying it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo