Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Forbes - The Truth About Video Game Journalism.
We don’t want a war. We want to report the news, share our opinions and have fun playing games. Ideally, we’d like to do so without being insulted and threatened, or asked to insult and threaten others. That’s the big scary truth of games journalism, and anyone who thinks otherwise is picking a fight with an imaginary enemy.

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Op Ed Aug 23, 2014, 15:35 TheEmissary

Ideally what Forbes said may be true on average for the industry but there is no denying there are major sites that provoke the reader base in one way or another. Sites like Kotaku and Polygon are often guilty of this and other sites are guilty of it because that is how the game is marketed. There aren't too many sites out there that follow any type of ethical standards or actual journalism for video games. I have seen lot of sites pulling click-bait or intentionally controversial topics to drive traffic to ad-heavy pages.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2014, 16:05.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Op Ed Aug 23, 2014, 08:39 Prez

Redmask wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 16:28:
There are no professional standards in 'gaming journalism' so stop pretending its anything but marketing and cheerleading for the industry.

Very much THIS.

Julio wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 08:00:
ASeven wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 06:42:
More links for those who wish to be entertained:

Thanks for the links, definitely have to agree with the person at the first one. Zoe Quinn and her defenders have set back women in gaming substantially.

Agreed. Far more so than what us supposed mysoginist cretin gamers are purported to have done by the tiresome white-knighting retards at places like Rock Paper Shotgun and Kotaku.

This comment was edited on Aug 23, 2014, 08:52.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Op Ed Aug 23, 2014, 08:00 Julio

ASeven wrote on Aug 23, 2014, 06:42:
More links for those who wish to be entertained:

Thanks for the links, definitely have to agree with the person at the first one. Zoe Quinn and her defenders have set back women in gaming substantially.

24. Re: Op Ed Aug 23, 2014, 02:51 Creston

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 23:55:
And I never once got any money from a publisher.

No, of course YOU didn't. But whatever rag/website you worked for obviously had their ethics for sale, as evidenced by your own first paragraph.

It's hard to be honest when you get censored for it. I know a couple of my reviews didn't get published because I gave the games in question a really low score and called out all of their issues. I guess the editors didn't want to piss off the publishers, so we just didn't publish the review.

I'm not blaming the average poor schmoe who reviews a game. He's just a guy/girl trying to earn a few dollars so he can actually buy food. I blame the shitbag publications who have their ethics for sale, and I blame those self-absorbed douchenozzles who can't stop calling themselves fucking 'journalists.'

23. Re: Op Ed Aug 23, 2014, 00:37 Elf Shot The Food

If the internet found out I was in an incestuous relationship, I'd be defensive and embarrassed too.  

22. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 23:55 Agent.X7

It's hard to be honest when you get censored for it. I know a couple of my reviews didn't get published because I gave the games in question a really low score and called out all of their issues. I guess the editors didn't want to piss off the publishers, so we just didn't publish the review.

It's honestly hard to please any of you anyway. When I gave out a good score because it's a game I liked and thought was done well, I was a shill. When I gave it a mediocre score (Which I tend to think is 5 to 7) people whined because their game was so much better than a 5. Well, I thought it was mediocre at best. "Well, then it should have got a 7 or 8!" Um, no.

And I never once got any money from a publisher. (Shit, sometimes MY publisher didn't even want to pay me.) Mostly it was a free copy of the game or hardware I was reviewing. Sometimes I got a t-shirt or lanyard or some crap which I assure you is not something that would have swayed my opinion.

BTW, I quit because my employer decided that game journalists shouldn't be paid. We should do it for the love of the games! I went from $100 to $150 an article to "Fuck you, it'll look good on your resume." Ahahahaha. No.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

21. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 23:41 Cutter

ASeven wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 18:59:
There never was any integrity in gaming journalism but bloody hell, this shit is now being done in the open and nobody does anything about it. That's the scandal.

Good. I'd rather it be out in the open. Most of the time it's not, but we're led to believe everything is honest and above board when it isn't. It's like all the doping athletes. They all do it, so why not be honest about it and have a Druglympics?

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

20. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 22:59 theglaze

PropheT wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 22:34:
The only things I've seen out of this whole scandal is that video game journalism isn't particularly trustworthy, which we already knew, Phil Fish is an absolute cock who I probably wouldn't even know about if it wasn't for his diarrhea-esque twitter account, and that the "SJW" members of the gaming press have finally hit the point where they can't even comment on one of the biggest stories around right now because they've spent so much of their time stirring the pot to create the environment that this spawned from.

The journalists look bad, the gamers look bad, and it all just seems like a bunch of dirty laundry being aired to give people something else to be angry about for a while with no solid facts and no possible positive outcome to ever be generated from it...over a game that next to no one actually gives two shits about and most people never heard of before the scandal.

Well said

19. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 22:57 nin

PropheT wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 22:34:
The only things I've seen out of this whole scandal is that video game journalism isn't particularly trustworthy, which we already knew, Phil Fish is an absolute cock who I probably wouldn't even know about if it wasn't for his diarrhea-esque twitter account, and that the "SJW" members of the gaming press have finally hit the point where they can't even comment on one of the biggest stories around right now because they've spent so much of their time stirring the pot to create the environment that this spawned from.

The journalists look bad, the gamers look bad, and it all just seems like a bunch of dirty laundry being aired to give people something else to be angry about for a while with no solid facts and no possible positive outcome to ever be generated from it...over a game that next to no one actually gives two shits about and most people never heard of before the scandal.

That's a great summary. I watched the 5 guys video, and (while I admit I've not read every single thing written about it) it seems like you have both sides accusing the other, and the rest of us only have their opinions to try and deduce fact from. And we can't, really. I don't see the point in taking sides or speculating when all we can go off of is someones opinion, and seemingly no actual facts.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

18. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 22:56 Redmask

The people who say they're all for social justice have ironically become the bullies, the Zoe Quinn matter proved that in several ways.  

17. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 22:34 PropheT

16. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 21:12 Beamer

Icewind wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 20:40:
No evidence?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvmxnjOIcAAxVy5.jpg:large

Not all gaming journalists are unreliable or untrustworthy. There are good sites out there, such as RPGWatch, the Codex, Nichegamer, and maybe N4G.

Is there a version of that that's legible and cited?
I mean, I can't read 90% of it, but what's different there than the relationship any of these sites have with any other dev?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

15. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 21:07 Julio

Icewind wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 20:40:
No evidence?

Not all gaming journalists are unreliable or untrustworthy. There are good sites out there, such as RPGWatch, the Codex, Nichegamer, and maybe N4G.

Why are they all paying her? Did they order the burger & fries?

14. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 20:40 Icewind

No evidence?

13. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 19:41 Julio

ASeven wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 19:14:
Just for those who want to have some popcorn time, here's a few links about this.

Thanks for the links ASeven. One of the most interesting stories in the past few years, and the "gaming press" is trying to bury it. Time for real journalists to investigate this. The people who are burying this should go get a job at Five Guys.

12. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 19:14 ASeven

Just for those who want to have some popcorn time, here's a few links about this.  

11. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 18:59 ASeven

Cutter wrote on Aug 22, 2014, 18:46:
What scandal? Jesus H. Christ, gaming journalism has always been little more than another form of marketing. So worrying about "journalists" taking payola for favourable reviews is laughable at best when they've been doing it all the time anyway. They were just getting cash, swag, and junkets instead of hummers. It's a complete non-issue unless you're dumb enough to believe that there was some level of integrity there in the first place.

There never was any integrity in gaming journalism but bloody hell, this shit is now being done in the open and nobody does anything about it. That's the scandal.

10. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 18:46 Cutter

What scandal? Jesus H. Christ, gaming journalism has always been little more than another form of marketing. So worrying about "journalists" taking payola for favourable reviews is laughable at best when they've been doing it all the time anyway. They were just getting cash, swag, and junkets instead of hummers. It's a complete non-issue unless you're dumb enough to believe that there was some level of integrity there in the first place.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: Op Ed Aug 22, 2014, 17:42 ASeven

What a fucking disgusting article, waving aside the Zoe Quinn scandal by misguiding people into thinking the point of it was her personal relationships when the real point of the scandal is the absolute lack of integrity all those reporters had by trading favors for sex.

That everyone is trying to bury this is sickening. That the usual SJWs are trying to dismiss this is enraging.

This scandal is way too serious, with too many dangerous implications, to be dismissed like the gaming media is doing, but being dismissed it is.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo