Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases

Steam News announces a free weekend is underway in Borderlands 2, Gearbox Software's humorous role-playing shooter sequel. Those who do not own the game can play for free from now until Sunday at 1:00 pm EDT, and for those who get hooked, the game is also now on sale for 75% off. Also, Steam News announces that pre-purchases are now being accepted for Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel, noting that a 10% discount is offered to those who already own either of the first two Borderlands games.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 22:44 Prez

Of course BL 1 and 2 had problems, but given how much I love each one (as evidenced by my combined play time - yikes!) I simply can't bother to find fault with games I so gleefully enjoyed for so long. I for one hope they keep right on making them.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 16:04 Paketep

Beamer wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 18:01:
Paketep wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 17:52:
Borderlands 2 4-pack is more expensive per game than buying each one sepparately (5€ vs 22.5€).

Bravo, Randy. No wonder Aliens Colonial Marines turned out like that: you can't do even basic math.

Must be a Steam Europe thing, because here it's $5 and $15.

Must be. And it's still happening.

36. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 15:18 xXBatmanXx

ah, forgot about that, thank you for reminding me - just another reason to pass on this until it is $5.00. That BS with the "season pass" in the last iteration.

/if you guys are playuing BL2 still - and don't edit your file for keys, this site is always up to date for Golden Keys. http://orcz.com/Borderlands_2:_Golden_Key

This comment was edited on Aug 21, 2014, 15:26.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

35. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 15:01 SpectralMeat

Creston wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 14:05:
Beamer wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 12:35:
Wait, it looks like Rockstar's Season Passes have everything, but that isn't true for any other game I'm looking at.

I'm pretty sure the AC games always get everything in a season pass.
Yeah but those come out every year as well I think don't they?

Steam: SpectralMeat

34. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 14:05 Creston

Beamer wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 12:35:
Wait, it looks like Rockstar's Season Passes have everything, but that isn't true for any other game I'm looking at.

I'm pretty sure the AC games always get everything in a season pass.

33. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 12:46 Beamer

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 12:41:
I think annual or semi annual games like CoD, BF or sports titles will have the season pass that gets you all the dlc.

That makes sense - those are games whose sales can be predicted, so they know how much DLC they'll make.

Something like Borderlands 2 only committed to 4 things, but the game was so much more popular than expected that they kept kicking out more and more DLC. Had it flopped, they'd only be on the hook for those 4.

You can properly price a season pass when you already know what it will contain.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

32. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 12:41 SpectralMeat

I think annual or semi annual games like CoD, BF or sports titles will have the season pass that gets you all the dlc.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

31. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 12:35 Beamer

pagb wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 12:19:
Beamer wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 12:07:
pagb wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 11:24:
They are punishing early buyers. I got ripped off during the summer sale, bought the season pass and then I found out that it wasn't a "season pass" and that the GOTY would be the ideal choice for just 1€ more. I only wanted the Tiny Tina's addon, so no big deal.

In short: Logic calls out buying the season pass if you own the base game, but you pay more for less... and you also payed more back in the day.

...and I must agree with some posts here, Borderlands 2 is a overrated borefest.

The season pass was always very specific that it included 4 things. It is on you for not reading. The season pass never said it was all DLC.

GOTY ALWAYS contains more content than what you can buy on Day 1, and is ALWAYS cheaper. You weren't even an "early buyer" if you bought it in the summer sale, the game is what, 2 years old?
I know, I should've read... but its VERY misleading, in other games: Season Pass = Everything

I don't think that's true, either. It is for episodic games, like The Walking Dead, but I can't find a single other game it's true for. Mortal Kombat seems to be one of the first to do it, and the Season Pass was only 4 fighters. More DLC came out. Lots of other games have preorder bonuses not in the Season Pass but available later.

-------------

30. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 12:19 pagb

Beamer wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 12:07:
They are punishing early buyers. I got ripped off during the summer sale, bought the season pass and then I found out that it wasn't a "season pass" and that the GOTY would be the ideal choice for just 1€ more. I only wanted the Tiny Tina's addon, so no big deal.

In short: Logic calls out buying the season pass if you own the base game, but you pay more for less... and you also payed more back in the day.

...and I must agree with some posts here, Borderlands 2 is a overrated borefest.

The season pass was always very specific that it included 4 things. It is on you for not reading. The season pass never said it was all DLC.

GOTY ALWAYS contains more content than what you can buy on Day 1, and is ALWAYS cheaper. You weren't even an "early buyer" if you bought it in the summer sale, the game is what, 2 years old?
I know, I should've read... but its VERY misleading, in other games: Season Pass = Everything

And read propertly before flaming, I bought THE SEASON PASS DURING THE SUMMER SALE, and the core game day one, along with some colleagues that got bored FAST.

29. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 12:07 Beamer

-------------

28. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 11:24 pagb

27. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 10:49 Creston

Dagnamit wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 23:43:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 22:56:
Wow, I'm a little surprised so many people liked BL2, it put me to sleep. I couldn't even finish one character, and I had like 3 max level, loaded out guys in BL1.

Something about the gameplay was just lacking for me. Console-centric menus and inventory didn't help much either.

word up. I slogged thru BL2. I thought BL1 was far superior. There was no progression in BL2. my character only felt weaker as the game went on.

You had shitty weapons, courtesy of Gearbox's focus on grinding / making the game feel like an MMO. For some reason they thought that everyone would just LOVE having to grind areas for 20 hours to get a decent weapon drop.

Sadly, there are enough retards on their forums that cheered this decision on, so they will likely keep it in place for future editions. Personally, I thought it was a decision that nearly killed the game for me, until I found a way to just fudge the drop rates, and the whole thing became about 10 times more enjoyable.

Again, devs, if you build really cool guns for your games that make players laugh out loud when using them, MAKE SURE THEY GET TO FUCKING USE THEM. This doesn't seem that fucking difficult to figure out.

26. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 10:25 Beamer

jimnms wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 09:46:
Beamer wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 20:14:
Don't late buyers always get more for less? That's the trade off of being a late buyer - you play it long after everyone else, and when the community is gone and people may no longer be talking about the game, but you get it cheaper.

No, they typically get the same for less. I supported the game at release by buying it (almost) full price with the season pass. The GOTY includes everything from the season pass and more.

But couldn't you but that other stuff that was clearly not part of the season pass?

I still don't get your complaint. That some dlc want in the season pass? They said that was true from the start. That the goty was more than just the season pass? So what? I genuinely don't get your outrage here.

-------------

25. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 09:46 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 20:14:
Don't late buyers always get more for less? That's the trade off of being a late buyer - you play it long after everyone else, and when the community is gone and people may no longer be talking about the game, but you get it cheaper.

No, they typically get the same for less. I supported the game at release by buying it (almost) full price with the season pass. The GOTY includes everything from the season pass and more.

MeanJim on Steam

24. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 08:37 SXO

Well, as I recall, what Pitchford said is that the game is smaller than BL2, but as big or slightly bigger than BL1. I personally wouldn't pay $60, but it is a full game, not an expansion.  

23. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 06:31 PHJF

Gipson wrote on Aug 21, 2014, 04:55:
Will buy it when its $5. Maybe. Pretty much had enough with this series.

As much fun as I've had with BL2, I concur. I expect bigger improvements than lower gravity for a third outing.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

22. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 04:55 Gipson

Will buy it when its $5. Maybe. Pretty much had enough with this series.  

21. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 21, 2014, 04:05 InBlack

Paketep wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 17:52:
Borderlands 2 4-pack is more expensive per game than buying each one sepparately (5€ vs 22.5€).

Bravo, Randy. No wonder Aliens Colonial Marines turned out like that: you can't do even basic math.

Yes he can. He is just counting on his customer's stupidity.

I have a nifty blue line!

20. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 20, 2014, 23:45 NewMaxx

It's been $48 at Gamefly for a while now and I'm sure it'll be that price on GMG, too. Previously they did say they would like to price it less than the past two games but that it was up to the publisher. It really should be cheaper.

As far as BL2 vs BL1 goes, both had their moments. BL2 had many improvements but there are some areas that weren't addressed to my satisfaction, and also I feel that BL1 was better in many ways. I also feel that depending on how you approach the series - whether as solo, coop, console or PC - determines your take on it.

19. Re: Borderlands 2 Free Weekend; Pre-Sequel Pre-Purchases Aug 20, 2014, 23:43 Dagnamit

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 22:56:
Wow, I'm a little surprised so many people liked BL2, it put me to sleep. I couldn't even finish one character, and I had like 3 max level, loaded out guys in BL1.

Something about the gameplay was just lacking for me. Console-centric menus and inventory didn't help much either.

word up. I slogged thru BL2. I thought BL1 was far superior. There was no progression in BL2. my character only felt weaker as the game went on.

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo