Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club

HB Studios announces The Golf Club is now available through both Steam and Xbox One, saying the PlayStation 4 version should be ready to tee off soon. Here's word on this sports simulation and its included course editor:

The Golf Club is a fully featured golfing experience where users can play against friends’ and rivals’ best rounds in turn-based/asynchronous competition modes enhanced by cloud-based technology. The game supports Tours & Tournaments, stroke play, match play, and 4-ball.

The Golf Club’s Greg Norman Course Designer allows players to build an unlimited number of golf courses, which can then be shared and played with friends online. New courses can be generated in a matter of seconds by selecting a theme, terrain features, and number of holes. Players can then enjoy a full suite of editing tools from changing the time of day to placing hazards and objects to create the ultimate golf challenge. Players can also discover new courses built by friends and the community by filtering through rank and difficulty, as well as interact with new members of The Golf Club through the Message Center.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club Aug 20, 2014, 11:34 Seventyfive

Pretty much the worst golf game I have ever played. When you move your mouse there's a 1 second delay before you see your character respond so it's impossible to get a feel for the shots. In the old school tiger woods games, as you move your mouse, the character's club moves back 1:1. In this game there's no consistent ratio and HUGE input lag. It's a shitty console port to be avoided at all costs.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club Aug 20, 2014, 06:15 JaguarUSF

OK, I probably shouldn't waste my time with this, but here goes.
Closed Betas wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 18:40:
PC gamers should pass on it... Has no 3 click, no clue what the community wants
3-click sounds like what YOU want, not the community you seem to represent. 3-click is nothing like a real golf swing, while using a gamepad or the mouse is more like a real swing. If you want 3-click, you should obviously not play this particular game. I do agree, however, that the mouse controls are very difficult and sluggish, so I prefer to use the gamepad.
Course designer seems cool, but after 5 minutes of using it, you realize you are handicapped
The course designer is the most powerful tool I've ever seen in a golf game. I have no idea why you state you are "handicapped" while using it. The lack of specific details in your critiques speaks volumes
lastly, no real competitive play, other than stroke
This is an outright lie, and reason to dismiss your opinions altogether. There is also match play and four-ball, plus multi-round tours and tournaments.
Please provide an informed opinion or do not provide an opinion at all.

8. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club Aug 19, 2014, 21:24 PropheT

Aero wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 20:59:
On the other hand, the most fun I've ever had playing a golf game was 4-player Mario Golf on the N64, so I'm not exactly an afficianado.

I like the arcade golf games like Hot Shots and Mario Golf a lot, but they do have pretty sound mechanics despite being pretty different from sim-style games.

7. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club Aug 19, 2014, 20:59 Aero

I can't say as I've played any of the most recent ones, but I thought some of the Tiger Woods PC ports were fairly good. Once they got the analog mouse controls working, it wasn't bad at all. It had some of the usual EA Sports goofiness, but the actual play mechanics were solid.

On the other hand, the most fun I've ever had playing a golf game was 4-player Mario Golf on the N64, so I'm not exactly an afficianado.

This... I dunno. Nice idea, but from what I've heard, it seems like they haven't put enough effort into the small but vital details.

6. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club Aug 19, 2014, 19:18 MajorD

PC gamers should pass on it... Has no 3 click, no clue what the community wants.. the interface last i played it made you want to bang your head against a rock... Basically they have no clue how to even use a mouse / keyboard let alone program for it..

Its a sunday morning console game. Youll play for 20 minutes and never boot again... Studio is completely clueless, how they did work for EA is beyond me, i can see why they passed and why EA golf is history as well

Course designer seems cool, but after 5 minutes of using it, you realize you are handicapped

lastly, no real competitive play, other than stroke.. no co-op 4sss alternative WTF are you smoking devs? Easy to hack so you can bet playing for course score will be a waste of time...

1/10 stars from someone who played Tiger Woods 98 for like 12 years.... I'd rather boot up leaderboard for the C64 than play this crap

K

What a shame, I was really looking forward to this one after a long dry-spell of PC golf games. Par for the course though (no pun 'originally' intended) with PC Games these days. I'll have to reinstall Links 2003 Championship Edition, which was the last good PC Golf game IMHO.

5. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club Aug 19, 2014, 18:40 Closed Betas

PC gamers should pass on it... Has no 3 click, no clue what the community wants.. the interface last i played it made you want to bang your head against a rock... Basically they have no clue how to even use a mouse / keyboard let alone program for it..

Its a sunday morning console game. Youll play for 20 minutes and never boot again... Studio is completely clueless, how they did work for EA is beyond me, i can see why they passed and why EA golf is history as well

lastly, no real competitive play, other than stroke.. no co-op 4sss alternative WTF are you smoking devs? Easy to hack so you can bet playing for course score will be a waste of time...

1/10 stars from someone who played Tiger Woods 98 for like 12 years.... I'd rather boot up leaderboard for the C64 than play this crap

K

4. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club Aug 19, 2014, 18:37 PHJF

Sounds like shit judging from the forum chatter.

Shame. I like golf.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

3. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club Aug 19, 2014, 18:30 Cutter

It's likely too common a name to trademark to begin with so I doubt it. The place by you is likely something like The Golf Club Xyzville on paper.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club Aug 19, 2014, 18:23 Ozmodan

Some serious idiots in this company, there is a very prestigious golf course by that name in Ohio. My guess is they are going to get sued for trademark infringement. Someone in HB Studios needs to learn to do a little bit of research.  

1. Re: Steamships Ahoy - The Golf Club Aug 19, 2014, 18:21 PropheT

Anybody playing this to say if it's any good? I always liked the Links games on PC years ago, but kind of quit playing anything like them after the genre dried up and was replaced by the Tiger Woods games.  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo