Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha

Epic Games now offers downloads of a playable pre-alpha build of their Unreal Tournament revival for registered users of their forums (thanks BeyondUnreal). They go to great lengths to stress this is a preliminary release fraught with bugs and placeholders, and that it is intended to inspired feedback from those interested in helping shape the multiplayer first-person shooter. The Unreal Tournament website explains:

The forum post describing how to install the UT pre-alpha playable build is only visible to signed in forum members in the Top Secret Members Only forum. Unreal Tournament is still very early in development, so the build is incomplete, buggy, full of placeholder art and therefore is not in any way representative of the ultimate vision for the game. You really shouldn't play it now! We’ve made it available to Unreal Tournament forum members so they can try the game out and offer constructive feedback on these forums, or maybe even jump in and start contributing.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Sep 11, 2014, 16:18 Beamer

Droniac wrote on Sep 11, 2014, 15:42:
Beamer wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 10:52:
Droniac wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 10:14:
Reckless wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 19:04:
UT is from a bygone era and should be left as such.

Ah yes, the bygone era of competently executed shooters. Much better to stay mired in today's muck of total inferiority.

Bring on Call of Destiny: Serious Slaughterfield ManFace Ultimate Rip-off Edition I say! + season pass plz.

Ah, here's a guy completely overlooking that, back in the UT days, there was probably 4 or 6 shooters coming out every single month. And he's forgotten them because they weren't competent.

Meanwhile, he ignores all the shooters today that are actually pretty damn good and infinitely more complex than anything back then and focuses on the franchise he dislikes.

Great arguments there: assumption + assumption == I must be wrong! Boy, you sure showed me!
Next time do some research before replying - and come with arguments backed by fact, not assumption.

Now here's why you don't base comments on assumptions you just pulled from your ass: you tend to get things wrong. I did bother to do some research, by grabbing a few of my gaming magazines from 1999 and doing some Googling. Thus I've arrived at a complete list of shooters released from September 1999 to November 1999. And since you don't know the significance of those dates: that would be the month of UT's demo to the month of UT's release, thus "the UT days". Here's the list: Descent 3, Expendable, GTA 2, Half Life: Opposing Force, Kingpin, MechWarrior 3, Medal of Honor, Omikron: The Nomad Soul, System Shock 2, SWAT 3, Unreal: Return to Na Pali, Unreal Tournament, and X: Beyond the Frontier.

There are 2 merely decent games among them: Expendable and Unreal: Return to Na Pali. The remaining 11 games are all outright classics. Revered and played to this day by a great many gamers (thanks to GOG, mostly). There are exactly zero incompetent trash releases in there.

Now let's look at this year thus far in PC shooters. That list would be: Rekoil, Loadout, Thief, Resident Evil 4 HD, Titanfall, Deus Ex: The Fall, Luftrausers, Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Phantoms, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Watch Dogs, Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark, Sniper Elite 3, FireFall, Metro 2033 redux, Metro: Last Light redux, and Dead Rising 3.

Not a single potential classic to be found. The best games in that list are remakes (albeit of some arguable classics). And the only other good games are a small indie game (Luftrausers) and a very well-polished, but extremely simplistic and restrictive scripted shooter (Wolfenstein: The New Order). The rest is mostly trash or on the lower scale of decent.

I'm not saying there are zero good shooters nowadays, but they're extremely rare. And even then they're usually not quite the outright classics that those older games tended to be, even when you compare them side-by-side today. Which is easy to do, mainly thanks to GOG. Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are more mechanically rich than their modern successors Deus Ex: Human Revolution and BioShock Infinite, for example.

Indeed many of the good shooters today, of which there are few, tend to be seen as good for something other than their actual shooter elements. Planetside 2 for its online elements, BioShock Infinite/Deus Ex: Human Revolution for their character progression/story, Borderlands 1/2 for their emphasis on loot and levels. The latter of those are even infamous for their outright awful gunplay.

As to your 'complexity' cop out: you can't just throw something like that in there and expect anyone to understand what you mean. What are you referring to when you say modern games are 'infinitely more complex' than anything from the UT era? Do you mean in terms of environmental detail and character detail? Sure. Absolutely. Games back then didn't look anything like modern games. Conversely they had A LOT more room to experiment with new and different game mechanics. Which is why games of that era tend to be a lot more complex when it comes to the actual gameplay.

Lastly, my sentence comprised of 4 games, not one franchise. Since you can't seem to find them I'll spell them out for you: Call of Duty, Destiny, Battlefield, and Warface. I've played most shooters released since Wolfenstein 3D. The quality for a vast majority of shooter releases today is abysmal compared to what it used to be. And the offerings are VERY uniform, with very nearly every shooter (including the good ones) featuring the exact same gunplay: machineguns + pistols + snipers and nothing innovative or fast-paced, ever. Not to mention the universal horizontal maps, excessive scripting, completely linear level design, etc. There are a few tiny exceptions, but they're barely a drop in the ocean.

Go back and play most of those classics without the rose tinted glasses. Descent 3, Expendable, GTA2, Kingpin, MoH, Omikron, Swat 3, UT and X do not hold up well.

At all.

In fact, playing some of them is downright painful (Kingpin, MoH and GTA2, I'm looking at you.) They're still played today, but played by people that remember them nostalgically. Anyone actually opting to play GTA2 over a modern GTA is insane. Anyone playing Kingpin over Wolfenstein is insane.

Of course, you also point out that more shooters were released then, which I admitted to, and you have a weird definition of shooter.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Sep 11, 2014, 15:42 Droniac

Beamer wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 10:52:

Ah yes, the bygone era of competently executed shooters. Much better to stay mired in today's muck of total inferiority.

Bring on Call of Destiny: Serious Slaughterfield ManFace Ultimate Rip-off Edition I say! + season pass plz.

Ah, here's a guy completely overlooking that, back in the UT days, there was probably 4 or 6 shooters coming out every single month. And he's forgotten them because they weren't competent.

Meanwhile, he ignores all the shooters today that are actually pretty damn good and infinitely more complex than anything back then and focuses on the franchise he dislikes.

Great arguments there: assumption + assumption == I must be wrong! Boy, you sure showed me!
Next time do some research before replying - and come with arguments backed by fact, not assumption.

Now here's why you don't base comments on assumptions you just pulled from your ass: you tend to get things wrong. I did bother to do some research, by grabbing a few of my gaming magazines from 1999 and doing some Googling. Thus I've arrived at a complete list of shooters released from September 1999 to November 1999. And since you don't know the significance of those dates: that would be the month of UT's demo to the month of UT's release, thus "the UT days". Here's the list: Descent 3, Expendable, GTA 2, Half Life: Opposing Force, Kingpin, MechWarrior 3, Medal of Honor, Omikron: The Nomad Soul, System Shock 2, SWAT 3, Unreal: Return to Na Pali, Unreal Tournament, and X: Beyond the Frontier.

There are 2 merely decent games among them: Expendable and Unreal: Return to Na Pali. The remaining 11 games are all outright classics. Revered and played to this day by a great many gamers (thanks to GOG, mostly). There are exactly zero incompetent trash releases in there.

Now let's look at this year thus far in PC shooters. That list would be: Rekoil, Loadout, Thief, Resident Evil 4 HD, Titanfall, Deus Ex: The Fall, Luftrausers, Tom Clancy Ghost Recon Phantoms, Wolfenstein: The New Order, Watch Dogs, Transformers: Rise of the Dark Spark, Sniper Elite 3, FireFall, Metro 2033 redux, Metro: Last Light redux, and Dead Rising 3.

Not a single potential classic to be found. The best games in that list are remakes (albeit of some arguable classics). And the only other good games are a small indie game (Luftrausers) and a very well-polished, but extremely simplistic and restrictive scripted shooter (Wolfenstein: The New Order). The rest is mostly trash or on the lower scale of decent.

I'm not saying there are zero good shooters nowadays, but they're extremely rare. And even then they're usually not quite the outright classics that those older games tended to be, even when you compare them side-by-side today. Which is easy to do, mainly thanks to GOG. Deus Ex and System Shock 2 are more mechanically rich than their modern successors Deus Ex: Human Revolution and BioShock Infinite, for example.

Indeed many of the good shooters today, of which there are few, tend to be seen as good for something other than their actual shooter elements. Planetside 2 for its online elements, BioShock Infinite/Deus Ex: Human Revolution for their character progression/story, Borderlands 1/2 for their emphasis on loot and levels. The latter of those are even infamous for their outright awful gunplay.

As to your 'complexity' cop out: you can't just throw something like that in there and expect anyone to understand what you mean. What are you referring to when you say modern games are 'infinitely more complex' than anything from the UT era? Do you mean in terms of environmental detail and character detail? Sure. Absolutely. Games back then didn't look anything like modern games. Conversely they had A LOT more room to experiment with new and different game mechanics. Which is why games of that era tend to be a lot more complex when it comes to the actual gameplay.

Lastly, my sentence comprised of 4 games, not one franchise. Since you can't seem to find them I'll spell them out for you: Call of Duty, Destiny, Battlefield, and Warface. I've played most shooters released since Wolfenstein 3D. The quality for a vast majority of shooter releases today is abysmal compared to what it used to be. And the offerings are VERY uniform, with very nearly every shooter (including the good ones) featuring the exact same gunplay: machineguns + pistols + snipers and nothing innovative or fast-paced, ever. Not to mention the universal horizontal maps, excessive scripting, completely linear level design, etc. There are a few tiny exceptions, but they're barely a drop in the ocean.

19. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 20, 2014, 15:54 Beamer

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 15:08:
I don't know how this can even be called a pre-alpha, as it's just a box in the UE4 engine with a few rehashed weapons from UT3. There's literally no point in this release.

It's just to get potential modmakers and mapmakers working early. As they say, you shouldn't play it now, unless you want to start contributing. That's the main goal here - so that when it does become something worth people playing there will already be some additional content out there.

-------------

18. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 20, 2014, 15:08 theyarecomingforyou

I don't know how this can even be called a pre-alpha, as it's just a box in the UE4 engine with a few rehashed weapons from UT3. There's literally no point in this release.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

17. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 20, 2014, 13:23 Beamer

Optional Nickname! wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 11:10:

My initial immediate impression is that UT4 will look and play like UT3 with different, more vivid maps and environments, but with inferior bots and play action.

And this is why no one else ever releases pre-alpha. UT4 is probably literally UT3 at this point. Given that it's pre-alpha, absolutely nothing is being tweaked and, for the moment, it's about getting something in there the designers can run around in and get a feel for. Odds are they just looked at UT3 as a jumping off point and will completely and utterly overhaul everything to the point that it isn't even recognizable, but people will still say "Oh, I played the pre-alpha and it sucked."

Of course it sucked. This is a game that's something like 30% complete. It's barely more than proof of concept at this point. You complain about how it looks like UT3, but that's placeholder and usually placeholder means grabbing existing assets. You complain about it playing like UT3, but that's almost absolutely the same - placeholder logic ganked from whatever was laying around.

-------------

16. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 20, 2014, 11:23 siapnar

Optional Nickname! wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 11:10:
but with inferior bots and play action.
Until people start changing that with mods

I have projectile dysfunction.

15. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 20, 2014, 11:10 Optional Nickname!

After playing the tech demo for just a minute or so, I'm inclined to agree that UT can not be revived.

UT4, upon playing immediately invokes the atmosphere and play style of UT3. Over sized weapons, over sized armor, inferior play mechanics and simplistic effects over-wrought with sizzle.

The good news is, it installed easily and worked instantly. So you can easily try it out.

My initial immediate impression is that UT4 will look and play like UT3 with different, more vivid maps and environments, but with inferior bots and play action.

14. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 20, 2014, 10:52 Beamer

-------------

13. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 20, 2014, 10:14 Droniac

12. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 20, 2014, 07:35 InBlack

Sacrifex wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 06:35:
Except that the game is to be free. Not even free to play, just... free.

Really? Wow, news to me. How the fuck did I miss that? Well Im happily eating my words now

I have a nifty blue line!

11. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 20, 2014, 06:35 Sacrifex

Except that the game is to be free. Not even free to play, just... free.

10. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 20, 2014, 06:20 InBlack

Ahh the latest development game design from EPIC.

The fans get an early alpha release, they get an early editor release, they build the game they want with minimal input from the property holders. The property holders polish up what they have, then sell the game to the very people who built it, and others of course, at an absurd profit.

Dont fall for the propaganda and hype. This is exactly what EPIC wants to do. Build a game while spending as little of its own resources as possible.

I remember a time not too long ago when game developers were passionate about what they created, when the fans came first, but only AFTER the actual game was released.

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 19, 2014, 22:01 McJammiepants

LittleMe wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 18:52:

Insert Battlefield 4 game joke here.

You know ... I've been a fanboi of Battlefield for a long time. I have argued derision of the series up through BF3.

I have had some fun in BF4 but, for the most part, I think it could be accurately renamed Angergame: 2014. Just stacks of irritating, conflicting idiosyncrasy. Some days I get on and dominate, and others I can't move two feet without being killed in the dumbest ways.

*Spawned in front of enemies with my back to them
*Spawned directly in LOS of an enemy sniper
*Randomly blown up
*Constant kill trading
*Killed behind cover
*Avoidance of sniper fire by zig-zag feels like swimming in molasses

I could go on and on, but generally the game is just not as fun. For some reason a loss due to a horrible team feels many times worse than it did in BF3.

Anyway, thread hijack. I look forward to a fun, online FPS that favors fun over complete frustration.

8. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 19, 2014, 21:18 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 18:49:
This is interesting. Not sure a major studio has ever let the public play test this early before.

The code has been available to anyone with an UE4 license/sub for weeks, and some have been compiling it and putting it up for download anyway. This is just them saying "Welp, might as well give everyone a place to talk about it and make sure they have a direct source for the latest builds." This is a side effect of them deciding to effectively crowd-source development of the game, not really a radical move to offer free early, early, early access to a full-on AAA production.

7. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 19, 2014, 20:57 mag

This is interesting. Not sure a major studio has ever let the public play test this early before.

I was going to say 'qtest,' but apparently that was only four months early. Uh. Hm.

6. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 19, 2014, 20:43 ColoradoHoudini

All i need is new maps, the old weapons, and for the community to be able to map and mod again.

Keep vehicles in vehicle-only maps, and give me back the glory tht was the orginal UT. It was near perfect, you really dont need to remake the game and make it friendly for the console fucking moron crowd that has ADD and needs everything now and shiny and in fucking abundance!

5. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 19, 2014, 20:01 DangerDog

The only thing this can really bring to the table is prettier looking maps to kill people in.

4. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 19, 2014, 19:04 Reckless

Looking at the videos I don't see too much different to what the last couple of releases were. One I watched sent me to sleep as the commentary waffled on a lot about dodging off of walls as if that was the only way to work your way through a level. I don't really get the feeling that the community is driving the design.

Why did later versions of UT insist on having weapon placement points indicated with ugly graphical elements?

3. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 19, 2014, 18:52 LittleMe

Insert Battlefield 4 game joke here.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

2. Re: Unreal Tournament Pre-Alpha Aug 19, 2014, 18:49 jdreyer

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo