Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

One Angry Gamer - The Sims 4 Review Copies Being Withheld Until After Release Spells A PR Disaster.
EA doesnít need to win, though. The smart thing to do is to NOT buy the game until you can read or watch reviews from sources you trust. Avoid the pre-order gimmicks and donít buy into any digital bonus deals until you know for certain the game is worth the price of entry.

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2014, 09:56 xXBatmanXx

But it is SIMS.....not sure there is much as far as iteration or progress one can do for the game......seriously.....worse than Hollywood....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2014, 09:39 InBlack

Redmask wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 08:30:
InBlack wrote on Aug 20, 2014, 06:30:
Redmask wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 21:38:
There are many companies that either embargo or withhold review copies, it doesn't always mean the game is horrible. Of course in this case its EA so all bets are off.

Can you think of any other reason to withold review copies other then that the game is rather mediocre at best, or just plain broken at worst? And please dont say piracy...

There's a school of thought on the publishing side of the industry that demos and early review copies mean less sales. The logic behind it is something like you'll always be convincing at least one person not to buy it even while another is pleased.

I don't personally believe in it but this isn't a new practice, Ubisoft embargoes everything, Activision does and so forth. Sometimes they also don't bother sending out review copies.

Which is exactly the reason we keep coming back to. Developers are not confident in their product, the brand name and marketing campaigns cost hundreds of millions, (pre)orders are becoming the norm rather than the exception, and they dont really give two shits about what they put in the box, as long as its 'good enough' to sell to the sheeple.

I say fuck that. Like the guy said, if you preorder an EA game you only have yourself to blame.

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2014, 09:16 Axis

The demographic of people who play SIMs likely won't even hear about this, I doubt they'd even look for reviews.

Yours truly,

Axis

15. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2014, 08:30 Redmask

There are many companies that either embargo or withhold review copies, it doesn't always mean the game is horrible. Of course in this case its EA so all bets are off.

Can you think of any other reason to withold review copies other then that the game is rather mediocre at best, or just plain broken at worst? And please dont say piracy...

There's a school of thought on the publishing side of the industry that demos and early review copies mean less sales. The logic behind it is something like you'll always be convincing at least one person not to buy it even while another is pleased.

I don't personally believe in it but this isn't a new practice, Ubisoft embargoes everything, Activision does and so forth. Sometimes they also don't bother sending out review copies.

14. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2014, 07:25 eRe4s3r

Simple, reviews before game release not awesome = less sales
And why would EA want less sales?

13. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2014, 06:30 InBlack

12. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2014, 06:28 InBlack

EricFate wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 20:48:
After Simcity 5, anyone who pre-orders an EA game deserves what they get.

Well said brother.

11. Re: Op Ed Aug 20, 2014, 02:46 J

My respect to you for trying to play devil's advocate here. It's a tough one.

10. Re: Op Ed Aug 19, 2014, 23:22 Rigs

I could see this being bad if this was a small dev or individual but not wanting press so they can eek out a few days of sales seems...short-sighted, on our part. The game isn't going to live or die (it's not going to die, period, this is The Sims we're talking about...it's about as bulletproof as Simci...wait, wrong example...as Medal of Hon...shit!) on a few days of sales, good press or bad. Obviously, EA knows this. They are a gaming company and as much as we like to shit on their parade, they aren't stupid.

Seriously. I know some of you are saying, 'but look at Simcity'. Well, yes, let's look at it. It's not in the grave. It got pretty beat up at launch and somewhat after, but it's been somewhat corrected and is still selling. Obviously not at what was hoped, but it's not being out right rejected after it's been patched up. I don't think EA is going to do the same thing once again after that launch is still very fresh in their minds.

It reminds me of another publisher and another notorious game, long ago, before the internet - Outpost by Sierra. Anyone remember that one? It's previews were hyped up and the release was pretty disastrous. It needed a lot of patching to make it even playable. This was a big thing back then but is Sierra remembered for it now? They don't exist now, but I promise Outpost wouldn't be brought up if you mention their name to anyone that played their games. They survived...and even brought out Outpost 2 which was pretty forgettable, but it shipped in a playable, working state. Sierra had learned, and I think EA has learned. Given all the absolute shit that has come out in the last two years, I don't think EA is going to intentionally release a horrible game just to get a few bucks from people that don't know any better and hope for the best...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

9. Re: Op Ed Aug 19, 2014, 21:38 Redmask

8. Re: Op Ed Aug 19, 2014, 21:16 Cutter

Yeah, when has a situation like ever been anything except a massive clusterfuck. Christ, I guess EA being sued by their shareholders once wasn't enough. So much for their "promises" about not shoving unfinished products out the door anymore.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Op Ed Aug 19, 2014, 20:48 EricFate

After Simcity 5, anyone who pre-orders an EA game deserves what they get.  

6. No subject Aug 19, 2014, 20:13 Mashiki Amiketo

Julio wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 18:29:
They're not even giving a copy to PC Gamer? I thought that's a guaranteed 95%+? Definitely a threat to game reviewers everywhere.
This pretty much screams that the game is either really unpolished, or a huge mess. My sister was looking forward to this game until this stuff started coming out, then she decided to cancel her pre-order and stick with Sims3 until "all the shit falls out."

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

5. Re: Op Ed Aug 19, 2014, 18:54 jdreyer

Well EA is learning, not how to make good games necessarily, but at least how to delay the bad publicity in order to have a few days of sales. We already know the game won't have pools or toddlers, so regardless of game quality it will be branded as incomplete.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Op Ed Aug 19, 2014, 18:29 Julio

They're not even giving a copy to PC Gamer? I thought that's a guaranteed 95%+? Definitely a threat to game reviewers everywhere.  

3. Re: Op Ed Aug 19, 2014, 18:25 Ozmodan

It is EA, throwing money away to buy anything from them.  

2. Re: Op Ed Aug 19, 2014, 18:08 Beamer

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 18:05:
It is the SIMS......not sure why all the huff....

Pretty sure it's EA's primary money maker on the PC.
And, given EA's record, not allowing for pre-release reviews bodes very, very poorly.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

1. Re: Op Ed Aug 19, 2014, 18:05 xXBatmanXx

It is the SIMS......not sure why all the huff....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo