Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Crytek to Repair Reputation with "Really High Quality Games"

Crytek co-founder Avni Yerli discussed the damage the company's recent financial woes did to its reputation, explaining to MCV that a longer and more expensive than anticipated "transition to an online company" was the root of the problems. He says they now have a framework in place for the next couple of years, and says they can restore their good name with some good games. "I am sure it has damaged our reputation, but for Crytek it is about focusing on our core competency, which is making really high quality games," Yerli explains. "When we deliver those games we will hopefully be back on track, and people will see Crytek in the way that it deserves to be seen."

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 21, 2014, 12:51 Prez

I thought Crysis was great. "Glorified Tech Demo" is a ridiculous assertion in my opinion.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 21, 2014, 01:24 Fantaz

replaying Far Cry 1 just recently i'd also have to say it's quite boring by today's standards.  

47. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 20, 2014, 14:44 Creston

Kajetan wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 11:47:
Creston wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 10:10:
F2P and really high quality usually don't go hand in hand, especially when EA is involved...
Is EA involved with current Crytek? I think not. They only had a simple publishing deal for the Crysis games.

That's a fair point. I thought I had seen an announcement that EA would be involved in the publishing of whatever their next F2P title is, but it's definitely possible that I'm wrong on that.

46. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 20, 2014, 10:33 theyarecomingforyou

The gameplay was clunky, especially the suit powers. The gunplay didn't feel right. The levels were dull and linear, despite their large size - Far Cry felt more open. The enemies were utterly generic. The plot was beyond cliched. The third-person vehicles were awkward and out of place. To me it was just a glorified tech demo.

For me I much prefer games that create a compelling universe, that leaves gaps for the players to fill in and that have a decent narrative. My favourites are games like Half-Life / 2, Far Cry 2 / 3, STALKER: SoC / Clear Sky, Metro: 2033 / Last Light, Bioshock Infinite, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, etc.

It also doesn't help that Crysis was published by EA, one of the shittiest publishers out there.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

45. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 20, 2014, 09:13 SXO

I'm honestly baffled by all the hate for the gameplay of the first Crysis. When I first played it about 3 months after release, I fully expected it to suck. I went into it expecting it to be nothing more than eye candy with boring gameplay, and by the time I finished it I ranked it among my favorite FPS games.

I'm truly curious what it is about the gameplay that people found so boring. I mean, in hindsight, I would compare Crysis and Crysis Warhead's gunplay & movement with Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (a game everyone seemed to love), and Crysis itself felt rather open despite not being a true sandbox environment. It also managed to feel cinematic without feeling like someone was forcing me to look at certain places or holding my hand. As for the alien area, I get why people disliked it, even though I personally enjoyed the zero-g area just because of how different it felt (same reason I even enjoyed the equally unpopular Xen area in the original Half-Life); but I do fully comprehend how that totally ruined it for most people. But thinking back to other popular PC shooters of the time, I don't understand what made Crysis so poor in comparison in other people's minds. So can some people clue me in on what it is they feel the game failed to deliver on? I'm not looking for an argument, I truly just want to wrap my head around why my experience differed so greatly.

44. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 20, 2014, 08:03 theyarecomingforyou

Quboid wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 20:15:
I've recently been replaying Crysis and it holds up really well. Parts of it reminded me of Far Cry 3, like as I prepared to attack an enemy base. I've got nearly as far as the aliens so, eeeeh, I think I'm done with that. It looks very nice, as I can now turn on most of the effects at a resolution above what its UI allowed for.
Graphically it holds up but the gameplay was weak at the time and hasn't held up well. Certainly it doesn't have the enjoyability or replayability of Far Cry 2 or 3. Crysis 2 was the better game, even if it was more linear.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

43. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 20:15 Quboid

I've recently been replaying Crysis and it holds up really well. Parts of it reminded me of Far Cry 3, like as I prepared to attack an enemy base. I've got nearly as far as the aliens so, eeeeh, I think I'm done with that. It looks very nice, as I can now turn on most of the effects at a resolution above what its UI allowed for.

I think they made good games which were also good tech demos. Far Cry had unusually large open levels with varied combat and although Crysis was more linear it added destruction and the nano-suit, which is a neat feature IMHO. Being charitable, for what it tried to be Crysis 2 was quite good and Crysis 3 looked like much the same - which is why I never bought it.

Each game, Far Cry, Crysis, C2, and from second hand experience C3 and Ryse has had less open level design, fewer options and less fun. Far Cry 2 and 3 have gone the opposite route and the franchise is stronger than ever. Also, no stupid aliens.

Did anyone else try X-Isle, their dinosaur themed tech demo from a few years before Far Cry was released? IIRC it *gasp* required a Geforce 3 and when I got one, oh man that was beautiful!

- Quboid

42. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 19:04 Wallshadows

Did they ever have 'really high quality games' in the first place though? really high quality tech demos, sure, but games? Debatable.  

41. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 18:35 Cutter

Too late, everyone already knows you guys are gigantic douchebags.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

40. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 17:10 Julio

walrus1 wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 16:32:
Maybe they should start preparing their reputation by paying their people on time and not painting them as ingrateful. Of course they might be making the fatal mistake of assuming their reputation could still be salvaged.

Given they weren't paying their employees on time, maybe there's a jurisdiction they can move to with completely slave labor. F Crytek.

39. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 16:32 walrus1

Maybe they should start repairing their reputation by paying their people on time and not painting them as ingrateful. Of course they might be making the fatal mistake of assuming their reputation could still be salvaged.

This comment was edited on Aug 19, 2014, 17:56.

38. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 15:23 Tumbler

Riiigggghhhhtttt....

You're reputation is shot so you're gonna start making high quality stuff instead of all that mediocre stuff that hurt your reputation. Good plan.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

37. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 15:22 DangerDog

ItBurn wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 14:58:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 14:56:
I would say it's less about the graphics and more about the art design/style. Look at Borderlands, I wouldn't call it the sharpest game on the block in terms of graphics but the art style works and they've done a hell of a lot of work to make it not feel like an unreal game in terms of movement and shooting.

I personally hate the look and especially the feel in Borderlands... Still, great game in coop.

It took some time to win me over with the graphics but the movement felt good, I can't stand games where you feel like your skating around on ice or move too slow in some lame attempt at making the game play longer.

Now the art style in Battleborn I think looks retarded as hell.

36. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 14:58 ItBurn

DangerDog wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 14:56:
I would say it's less about the graphics and more about the art design/style. Look at Borderlands, I wouldn't call it the sharpest game on the block in terms of graphics but the art style works and they've done a hell of a lot of work to make it not feel like an unreal game in terms of movement and shooting.

I personally hate the look and especially the feel in Borderlands... Still, great game in coop.

35. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 14:56 DangerDog

34. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 14:40 ItBurn

Beamer wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 14:32:
At this point graphics are so meaningless to me. I don't need some huge next generation breakthrough. It'll be nice to get bigger worlds and further draw distances than the prior consoles allowed, but otherwise? I've yet to play a AAA game and say "wow, this game would be so much better if the graphics were better." Nor have I really said "well, this game kind of sucks, but the graphics are so good I'm going to keep playing it." Back in the 90s, when graphics evolved so rapidly, sure.

Now? I have a 4 year old PC and don't feel like spending a grand to build a new one. Until recently I played on a CRT and often kicked down resolution in favor of FPS.

Crysis was great, I thought. Graphics weren't a major part of that. FC3 was arguably lesser quality graphics (many here have made that argument, I do not agree.) I felt it was a better game.

I think that graphics can still greatly improve the enjoyment of a game. I can imagine such a game. Immersion is a big part graphics and it can really make a game. Graphics to me isn't just better textures or more polygons, it's also more detailed worlds with better animations and physics.

You still don't NEED good graphics to make a good game, but a shitty game will still be shitty regardless of graphics.

33. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 14:38 DangerDog

foot wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 14:10:
If consolitis and complacency are the reasons for their downfall, how is it that drivel such as CoD still sells like cupcakes?

Because CoD strikes all the right notes when it comes to appeasing the male ego, familiar "cool" setting to just about every action movie ever made while teasing the possibility to be #1 competitively with that new weapon unlock or gadget. They've also mastered the sensation of "achievement" by constantly bombarding the visual and audio senses with progression ques that keep people hooked on playing "chasing the bar", not unlike what slot machines have done for years.

The yearly cycle of new CoD games doesn't mater because in that length of time gamers are ready for more of the same but slightly different.

Crytek tried really hard to make a "Me too" CoD game out of Crysis 2 & 3 but they broke the first rule of making it too unfamiliar with the whole Nanosuit/sci-fi environment and didn't offer enough weapons/gadgets unlocks to satisfy the "bar chasers".

32. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 14:37 Theo

I am in the group that unfortunately think that crytek have yet to make a "really high quality game".

They've made some passable stuff, with merit here and there, but anything consistently good? nope.

Everyone on Bluesnews is synical, get over it.
edit: i cant spell, this is my disclaimer.

31. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 14:32 Beamer

At this point graphics are so meaningless to me. I don't need some huge next generation breakthrough. It'll be nice to get bigger worlds and further draw distances than the prior consoles allowed, but otherwise? I've yet to play a AAA game and say "wow, this game would be so much better if the graphics were better." Nor have I really said "well, this game kind of sucks, but the graphics are so good I'm going to keep playing it." Back in the 90s, when graphics evolved so rapidly, sure.

Now? I have a 4 year old PC and don't feel like spending a grand to build a new one. Until recently I played on a CRT and often kicked down resolution in favor of FPS.

Crysis was great, I thought. Graphics weren't a major part of that. FC3 was arguably lesser quality graphics (many here have made that argument, I do not agree.) I felt it was a better game.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: Crytek to Repair Reputation with Aug 19, 2014, 14:18 Agent.X7

dizave wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 14:12:
You guys are some whiny nerds. Wah fuck Crytek. They only put out like one game that changed FPS gaming in Farcry. They barley set a benchmark for graphics quality in their Crysis series. They have the nerve to release their games on console so other gamers can enjoy them? Those assholes. The truth is the PC industry and gamers needs companies like Crytek. The games they put out push consumers to upgrade hardware and entertain the shit out of me. You haters are some of the strangest nerds i've ever seen. You hate video games yet you are part of a community that's supposed to love them. Get the hell off the bluesnews community and go back to playing your magic the gathering neeerrrrds!

Are you 12 years old?

Edit: Lol, nin. Same time!

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo