Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins

A Project Eternity Kickstarter update introduces the backer beta for Pillars of Eternity, Obsidian's crowd-funded RPG (thanks nin). They offer instructions for backers on how to redeem their beta keys, and outline what the first round of testing will entail:

The Backer Beta is initially being released only through Steam and only for the Windows platform. We are working hard on bringing Mac and Linux to you guys in the next few weeks. Note that if you are concerned about linking the Backer Beta to the final product, you need not worry -- the Backer Beta is considered a separate product. If you want to participate in the Backer Beta, your final product will not be locked into Steam or Windows.

The first release of the Backer Beta is the build we have put together for the Gamescom convention in Cologne, Germany. What you will be initially playing is what we are showing there. We plan to update the Backer Beta over time to test performance improvements, bug fixes, balance passes, and other changes we'd appreciate your feedback on.

There are no NDAs for those who are participating in the Backer Beta. If you want to share images, videos, or general feedback on content with the public, we appreciate your thoughts and criticism.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 22, 2014, 01:57 Ant

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 22:34:
And anyway, I'm willing to bet that the majority of people participating in such "beta tests" are only interested in getting to play the game earlier, not actually providing feedback... I'll be skipping it, too, though. Not really into beta testing story-based RPGs.
It is like a free sample. I do this too. I do report issues if I run into them.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 20, 2014, 15:53 Creston

grudgebearer wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 00:23:
Creston wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 22:06:
Wooohoooo! Between this, Wasteland 2, Original Sin and Witcher 3 in February 2015, it's a fucking GREAT six months for RPGs.

Have you played any WL2 yet? The combat is pretty terrible.

So then I'll just put it on Easy and enjoy the story. Like I did with DA2. :-shrug-:

28. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 22:07 Cutter

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 21:46:
Saboth wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 20:52:
What a world. People now pay $110+ to beta test games for developers. Wonder if I can find anyone to beta test my yard and pay me to cut my grass.
Really, you can get into the beta now if you bought any version under the $100. It just costs $25.

Still paying $25 to test a game is ridiculous. So even with the base game you're still paying $45 US to work for them. That's absurd.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

27. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 20:38 Cutter

JediPunisher wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 21:59:
Well, I paid $150 for the boxed CE w/playing cards, but I think I'll pass on the beta test... I've done enough of that over the years with games purchased at retail.

I don't know why developers/publishers don't offer a public beta test to everyone who preorders a game, whether on Kickstarter or at retail... The final release can only be better for it.

That's the right way to do it and it's what Larian did. Particularly with CRPGs which are always massively bug-ridden, have balance issues, etc. For CRPGs you really need all the beta testers you can get.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

26. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 19:55 Optional Nickname!

peteham wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 11:02:
Optional Nickname! wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 08:10:
I'm curious as to why they felt the need to involve Steam first and why they felt the need to leave GOG out of this beta.
From a past update:
We will be releasing the Backer Beta on Steam only. The reason for this is because Steam makes the process of uploading new builds much easier than other platforms. This will allow us to put out updated versions of the game more quickly than we could otherwise. The main game will still be available on all previously promised options (Steam, GOG, etc.)

Thanks for that info, reasonable enough for them, maybe. I certainly didn't agree to beta test them via Steam when I Kickstarted, quite the opposite!

Go Galaxy! GO GOG GO!

25. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 17:50 HorrorScope

Kajetan wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 11:58:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 11:35:
Yep. Not sure why gamers even ask this question any more, it's always the same. But whomever continue your hate for Steam, I also assume that is why Galaxy is coming, but then isn't that just Steam with a new name?
Galaxy has no DRM. At all. Not even optional for publishers to screw around with. No regional restrictions, no bullshit. Just a download client with benefits. Steam, on the other hand, is DRM with benefits

Well then aint that going to be a little slice of heaven?

24. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 16:41 mag

grudgebearer wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 07:12:
mag wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 03:14:
Wooohoooo! Between this, Wasteland 2, Original Sin and Witcher 3 in February 2015, it's a fucking GREAT six months for RPGs.

How so? Which camp are you from? "Not enough like Fallout" or "too much like Fallout?"

There's just no tactics to it at all. Early on before explosives, since there are no formations your guys enter combat in a clump, first round you move them to cover or just crouch and set everyone to "ambush". The AI is pretty tard, so they always rush into your field of fire, so most battles end by the second third round as you decimate them the first round. You literally have 3 options in combat, crouch, attack, and ambush which is basically overwatch. Later on it get's even worse because you get grenades, and so does the enemy, which are completely overpowered in that they are 100% accurate and do about 100 damage which is instakill unless you are level 10+.

No feats, no aimed shots, no body part targeting, very little environmental destruction; it's just really boring.

I hope PoE doesn't fall into that same hole and spend all their resources on the story and forget that combat is machine that progresses the story and needs to be done just as well.

Alright, that is pretty lame. :/

23. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 15:41 vrok

Kajetan wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 11:55:
I don't know why developers/publishers don't offer a public beta test to everyone who preorders a game, whether on Kickstarter or at retail... The final release can only be better for it.
Because a project seldom profits from a public beta. Most, well, nearly ALL gamers dont know shit on how to report bugs or to make proper, valid gameplay & balancing suggestions. Most of them just want to play the game as early as possible and nothing more.
This is an extremely ignorant and flawed opinion and why games are mostly, well, nearly ALWAYS a complete mess upon release.

22. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 11:58 Kajetan

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 11:35:
Yep. Not sure why gamers even ask this question any more, it's always the same. But whomever continue your hate for Steam, I also assume that is why Galaxy is coming, but then isn't that just Steam with a new name?
Galaxy has no DRM. At all. Not even optional for publishers to screw around with. No regional restrictions, no bullshit. Just a download client with benefits. Steam, on the other hand, is DRM with benefits

21. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 11:55 Kajetan

Because a project seldom profits from a public beta. Most, well, nearly ALL gamers dont know shit on how to report bugs or to make proper, valid gameplay & balancing suggestions. Most of them just want to play the game as early as possible and nothing more.

20. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 11:35 HorrorScope

peteham wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 11:02:
I'm curious as to why they felt the need to involve Steam first and why they felt the need to leave GOG out of this beta.
From a past update:
We will be releasing the Backer Beta on Steam only. The reason for this is because Steam makes the process of uploading new builds much easier than other platforms. This will allow us to put out updated versions of the game more quickly than we could otherwise. The main game will still be available on all previously promised options (Steam, GOG, etc.)

19. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 11:02 peteham

From a past update:

18. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 09:25 Axis

Ya before D:OS came out, WL2 had way more hype and excite than it does now. I hope Pillars will be good, but I'll be waiting until release for many reasons.

My "gaming" timeline included D:OS which I finished, followed by playing around with Lords of Xulima (which is a great game (thanks for the heads up conversation with horrorscope awhile ago!). Then hitting the next 4 month Path of Exile league which starts tomorrow. And of course I always keep up my FPS skills or doink around with indies. Many many games to be played...

Yours truly,

Axis

17. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 08:52 InBlack

How so? Which camp are you from? "Not enough like Fallout" or "too much like Fallout?"

There's just no tactics to it at all. Early on before explosives, since there are no formations your guys enter combat in a clump, first round you move them to cover or just crouch and set everyone to "ambush". The AI is pretty tard, so they always rush into your field of fire, so most battles end by the second third round as you decimate them the first round. You literally have 3 options in combat, crouch, attack, and ambush which is basically overwatch. Later on it get's even worse because you get grenades, and so does the enemy, which are completely overpowered in that they are 100% accurate and do about 100 damage which is instakill unless you are level 10+.

No feats, no aimed shots, no body part targeting, very little environmental destruction; it's just really boring.

I hope PoE doesn't fall into that same hole and spend all their resources on the story and forget that combat is machine that progresses the story and needs to be done just as well.

Ugh, that really does sound terrible. Hopefully this is a little better.

I have a nifty blue line!

16. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 08:10 Optional Nickname!

No SteamDRM was one of the selling points of crowd funding this project.

From the Pillars of Eternity Kickstarter:

"We now proudly support both GOG and Steam, so if you prefer DRM-free, you can choose the GOG option, and if you like Steam's integration, including achievements, and possibly cloud saves, you'll be able to choose that as well."

Otherwise, yay!?!

15. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 07:42 MoreLuckThanSkill

Hrm, that sounds less than stellar. Is that the finalized combat, or have they announced plans for some improvements?

As far as PoE goes, I hope those beta testers wear the shit out of the game, find as many bugs as possible, so my full version release is as good and smooth as possible.

14. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 07:12 grudgebearer

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

13. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 03:14 mag

12. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 19, 2014, 00:23 grudgebearer

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

11. Re: Pillars of Eternity Backer Beta Begins Aug 18, 2014, 23:53 Pineapple Ferguson

I backed it because I wanted to support a developer I respect make the kind of game I've been waiting for since the heyday of the Infinity Engine. I actually wasn't planning on trying the beta, but since it's here, and I'm bored with D:OS I've been checking it out.

So far it's not bad, but the combat in particular could use a lot of work.

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo