Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Valve says these are the 10 bestselling games on Steam last week:

1. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  2. DayZ
  3. PAYDAY 2
  4. Divinity: Original Sin
  5. Risen 3: Titan Lords
  6. ArcheAge
  7. Arma III
  8. Galactic Civilizations III
  9. Garry's Mod
  10. Insurgency

View
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

26. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 19, 2014, 20:55 Redmask

'my favorite game doesnt suck oh noes' really adds to the discussion though Beam  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 19, 2014, 09:42 Quinn

Redmask wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 09:15:
Quinn wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 01:15:
It's that you literally added nothing to the discussion with the "mediocre" comment.

It's all been said already here and in reviews ...

Case in point Crown

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

24. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 19, 2014, 09:15 Redmask

Quinn wrote on Aug 19, 2014, 01:15:
It's that you literally added nothing to the discussion with the "mediocre" comment.

It's all been said already here and in reviews, you are just trying way too hard to defend the game and refuse to see it. That is all

23. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 19, 2014, 01:15 Quinn

Redmask wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 19:52:
I've played it. It's not a good game and most of the reviews and others posting about it are bang on. His comment was an obvious attempt to deflect from any criticism.

Haha, first CJ_Parker's metaphorical gamer panties and now yours too!? Your retort makes so, so little sense in the context of my comment that only one person's insecurity shows here, Redmask

You're the one trying way too hard to defend this because you can't handle the fact that you might like a game that others don't like, talk about panties in a twist

It's that you literally added nothing to the discussion with the "mediocre" comment. For a guy who has played the game and built himself a valid verdict, the comment was mediocre at best. I therefore didn't have the impression you played the game yourself. That is all.

PS: I'm sure you're one of the best gamers out there, Redmask! I'm sure combat wasn't too frustrating for ye

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

22. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2014, 19:52 Redmask

I've played it. It's not a good game and most of the reviews and others posting about it are bang on. His comment was an obvious attempt to deflect from any criticism.

Haha, first CJ_Parker's metaphorical gamer panties and now yours too!? Your retort makes so, so little sense in the context of my comment that only one person's insecurity shows here, Redmask

You're the one trying way too hard to defend this because you can't handle the fact that you might like a game that others don't like, talk about panties in a twist

21. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2014, 17:33 Beamer

Redmask wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 14:14:
Quinn wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 09:27:
People generally suck at gaming and judging games from an objective point of view.

Maybe you suck at gaming but don't presume to speak for the rest of us. It's a bad game, sorry you're too defensive about a video game but that insecurity is your problem, not mine.

He wasn't saying you suck at gaming; he was presuming you haven't played and are judging based on reviews by others that suck at gaming.

I haven't played it. Haven't played the originals. Couldn't tell you what they were. Just pointing out he wasn't trying to insult you.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2014, 17:27 Quinn

Redmask wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 14:14:
People generally suck at gaming and judging games from an objective point of view.

Maybe you suck at gaming but don't presume to speak for the rest of us. It's a bad game, sorry you're too defensive about a video game but that insecurity is your problem, not mine.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

19. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2014, 14:14 Redmask

18. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2014, 09:43 PHJF

I tried about ten minutes of Risen 3.

It stinks.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

17. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2014, 09:27 Quinn

Redmask wrote on Aug 18, 2014, 09:12:
I am not surprised to see PB making yet another mediocre Risen game.

Wait, you mean to say you played it?

"No, but read reviews and saw vids."

Let one thing be clear: People generally suck at gaming and judging games from an objective point of view. Just pirate the game as a demo and be honest about it. You like it? You buy it. You don't? You delete it.

When I watch people play any Risen game (or Gothic), I throw up in my mouth.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

16. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2014, 09:12 Redmask

I am not surprised to see PB making yet another mediocre Risen game.  

15. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2014, 09:06 garrywong

Is this a joke? Why is DayZ still there? And on a lesser scale of astonishment, so is PayDay 2?
Well, at least Garry's mod is back on the list. Maybe this just means that there are so few games being sold, DayZ and all are the only ones worth playing and are thus the only ones being bought?

14. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2014, 08:54 Ozmodan

I guess CJ did not like Risen 3. So he found an exploit so you have to use it? Play the game like it is supposed to be played and you won't have to whine about it.

Really don't understand all those people dropping so much money on Archage, just another Korean grinder that is attempting to portray itself as a sandbox and just fails on most counts. I have yet to see a decent game come out of Asia.

13. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 18, 2014, 07:08 Quinn

CJ_Parker, I somehow sense allot of frustration there. I know that feeling when it's hard to fathom somebody can have such an ultimately different opinion as yourself.

Graphics & Animations... well, I truly love them. The physics are very well done, too. Have you looked at the pinetrees dancing in the wind? An incredible amount of love is put into this world! In the end, though, it's all subjective observation.

Combat... sure, constantly rolling is a way too exploit the system. They should have fixed this by adding a stamina bar. I only use dodge when it's truly necessary, which is only when fighting giant creatures or when normal enemies use power attacks. Riposting with a well-timed parry parry -- and therefore staying on the offense although you just dropped into defense -- feels very... 1337. I can also remember my Dark Souls experience: A huge giant creature attacks me on a small wall. How do I kill this creature in this oh-so-grand game? I hug his feet, keep rolling and hitting and rolling and hitting. There are SO.MANY.GAMES where you can exploit the combat system, man. So many!

Retard HUD tips... you can turn them off, so I wonder why you're complaining about that. Have you played the game yourself?

Blahblahbluhbleh... are you trying to sound like a genius here who figured out something infinitely complex?

Such a gamer thing, getting your panties in a bunch because someone gives advise that is obvious to you.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

12. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 17, 2014, 17:41 CJ_Parker

Quinn wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 14:48:
I'm loving Risen 3 so much! The graphics and animations look really good

Really? Have you played any games in the 2010s yet? Didn't think so. Because there's no way anyone could call the graphics and especially not the animations "really good" by 2010s standards. Risen 3 looks more like a 2006 - 2008 game.

combat is great once you get good in it (awesome to parry at the exact right moment after a streak of attacks so that your character ripostes with another hit)

Bullshit. Risen 3 has one of the most retarded combat systems ever. Rolling on the floor fighting (ROTFF) is the order of the day. If you play on hard (anything else is not even beginning to be a challenge) then it's always the same. You just roll in circles around any enemies avoiding to get hit, then a quick combo from the side, roll again, hit, roll again, hit, ad nauseam. Hit&roll was stupid in the otherwise excellent Witcher 2 and it is stupid here.

allot of places to explore and chests to lockpick, etc etc.

That, I can almost agree on. Not exactly creative though that they ripped the lockpicking mini game straight from TES IV Oblivion. They didn't even try to cover it up. It's just more dumbed down since in Risen 3 lockpicks can't even break.
Well, and the number of chests that you can't lockick right away and where you would theoretically have to return at a higher level is kinda stupid, too. I first kept notes of chests for later but after island number 2 I gave up since there is too many of them.

Risen 1 was great

It had its moments in chapter no. 1 but it was a Gothic 1 + 2 rehash with zero creative liberties. Everything from chapter 2 onwards was just a drag. Poor story and lore, too. Overall certainly not great but average at best.

Risen 2 was a shame

Yes.

Risen 3 is great once again.

Nope. Poor technical execution, retarded story and soul system, no real choices & consequences, shallow NPCs, no continuity whatsoever between Risen, Risen 2 and Risen 3. "Known" characters once again look completely different from what they used to in other iterations.
The only thing the game has going for it is the partially nicely crafted game world.

I hear allot of people are complaining about combat being too hard.

Say what? Where did ya read that? American Disabilities Association or Retard Central?
Combat is laughably easy even on hard. Roll. Hit. Roll. Hit. Roll. Hit.
And if you bring a companion, which you should for story and bantering reasons alone, then you can almost entirely skip the "roll" part.

Some don't seem to understand that you don't need to keep holding the mousebutton in order to execute heavy strikes -- once your hand starts glowing and your animation turns into slowmotion, it's actually the que to to let the mousebutton go! Also, dodge or parry after an enemy dodges your attack because they're on you before your next swing lands.

Blahblahbluhbleh... are you trying to sound like a genius here who figured out something infinitely complex? Hate to break it to ya but no.
First, any moron would know how to execute attacks after the extremely retard-friendly intro to the game and the even more retard-friendly overlay hints that are displayed in the top left corner of the screen by default EVERY single time combat is initiated!
Second, none of that crap is even required. Why make it harder on yourself than it has to be? Again: Hit. Roll. Hit. Roll. Yeah, maybe a parry in between if you rolled into a corner that you can't get out of. But other than that the combat is mind numbingly retarded.

11. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 17, 2014, 16:54 Paranoid Jack

Icewind wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 16:32:
I'm loving Risen 3 so much! The graphics and animations look really good, combat is great once you get good in it (awesome to parry at the exact right moment after a streak of attacks so that your character ripostes with another hit), allot of places to explore and chests to lockpick, etc etc.

Risen 1 was great, Risen 2 was a shame, Risen 3 is great once again. I hear allot of people are complaining about combat being too hard. Some don't seem to understand that you don't need to keep holding the mousebutton in order to execute heavy strikes -- once your hand starts glowing and your animation turns into slowmotion, it's actually the que to to let the mousebutton go! Also, dodge or parry after an enemy dodges your attack because they're on you before your next swing lands.

Agreed. I am completely baffled as to how people are having problems with the combat. I'm an arthritic 38yr old who never plays action games and even I had to put it on hard to get a challenge from it.

The very slow rhythm to the swings, the wide riposte window of opportunity, the soft-lock focus attacking, it just really works really well. I HATED combat in Risen 2 and well, most PB games, really...but in here it works so beautifully.

I just ranked up in my chosen faction (Demon hunters) and I'd say this is my second favorite PB game, after Gothic 2 NOTR.

So glad to hear that people are enjoying it. I wanted to pre-order but felt burned last time around. So I decided with a little help from the DarkSouls2 monkey that is jumping up and down loudly on my back to hold off for a few months. For the most part I've been happy with the coverage I've watched on YouTube except for Angry Joe playing the game with Other Joe on Twitch. The gameplay looked fine it's just they both sucked at it and it seemed to me Angry Joe had already shit canned the game by the time I started watching the live stream. I almost created an account so I could log in and tell them to stop jerking each other off and play the damn game. I do realize he is also trying to be entertaining for his fans... still there was no way you could possibly enjoy playing a game the way they were carrying on. I usually feel he covers a game fairly but I lost some respect for him that night, no doubt.

10. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 17, 2014, 16:49 Quboid

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 16:25:
I play both. SCGO is arcade twitch. Insurgency is stripped of all hud/indicators and is tactical. You won't know you killed someone unless you pull up the scoreboard or go find the body. Insurgency is a great game to fill the void left by CoD/BF/CS arcade twitch kiddie games.

Sounds like I definitely picked the right one.

That's one very good thing that struck me in the few games of Insurgency I played: the community seemed mature and voice chat was tactical stuff, not kiddies. It's not a game for the impatient.

You mentioned spawn camping in one game which shouldn't happen and shouldn't really be possible. I was in the opponent team and saw several team mates' blips on my map around your spawn area. I didn't go near, honest. I'm fine with camping (i.e. realism) but spawn camping is shitty behaviour.

- Quboid

9. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 17, 2014, 16:32 Icewind

I'm loving Risen 3 so much! The graphics and animations look really good, combat is great once you get good in it (awesome to parry at the exact right moment after a streak of attacks so that your character ripostes with another hit), allot of places to explore and chests to lockpick, etc etc.

Risen 1 was great, Risen 2 was a shame, Risen 3 is great once again. I hear allot of people are complaining about combat being too hard. Some don't seem to understand that you don't need to keep holding the mousebutton in order to execute heavy strikes -- once your hand starts glowing and your animation turns into slowmotion, it's actually the que to to let the mousebutton go! Also, dodge or parry after an enemy dodges your attack because they're on you before your next swing lands.

Agreed. I am completely baffled as to how people are having problems with the combat. I'm an arthritic 38yr old who never plays action games and even I had to put it on hard to get a challenge from it.

The very slow rhythm to the swings, the wide riposte window of opportunity, the soft-lock focus attacking, it just really works really well. I HATED combat in Risen 2 and well, most PB games, really...but in here it works so beautifully.

I just ranked up in my chosen faction (Demon hunters) and I'd say this is my second favorite PB game, after Gothic 2 NOTR.

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 17, 2014, 16:25 xXBatmanXx

Quboid wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 15:13:
Redmask wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 10:17:
I thought I wouldn't like CS:GO but I decided to give it a whirl due to the sale weekend. It is surprisingly fun, a lot of old school charm and the FPS mechanics are still tight and enjoyable. It is not at all innovative but just well executed. I'm having a much better time with it than Payday 2 which has inconsistent AI and mission scripting that seems bizarre. I was really hoping for a videogame version of Heat from Payday 2 but it falls well short.

I picked up Insurgency when it was on sale recently and had much the same reaction: nothing especially new, but old school (MoH:AA, CoD1 era) multiplayer just done really well. I wonder how CS:GO compares, anyone played both?

I play both. SCGO is arcade twitch. Insurgency is stripped of all hud/indicators and is tactical. You won't know you killed someone unless you pull up the scoreboard or go find the body. Insurgency is a great game to fill the void left by CoD/BF/CS arcade twitch kiddie games.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 17, 2014, 15:13 Quboid

Redmask wrote on Aug 17, 2014, 10:17:
I thought I wouldn't like CS:GO but I decided to give it a whirl due to the sale weekend. It is surprisingly fun, a lot of old school charm and the FPS mechanics are still tight and enjoyable. It is not at all innovative but just well executed. I'm having a much better time with it than Payday 2 which has inconsistent AI and mission scripting that seems bizarre. I was really hoping for a videogame version of Heat from Payday 2 but it falls well short.

I picked up Insurgency when it was on sale recently and had much the same reaction: nothing especially new, but old school (MoH:AA, CoD1 era) multiplayer just done really well. I wonder how CS:GO compares, anyone played both?

- Quboid

26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo