Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I have my grandfather's old easy chair up here in my office, which is covered in this mustardy/gold upholstery that clearly demonstrates it was last re-covered in the 1960s. In spite of this, it has held up surprisingly well over the years, as the fabric seems to wear like iron. The Gunnar-man put this to the test recently by leaving a nasty little vomit stain on it; My canine companion curls up in the chair on occasion, and I guess it's so comfortable he could yak while reclining. This looked like it might not come out, and even after I sprayed this harsh cleaner on it, there was an ominous brown patch left behind. Then I followed the next step of vacuuming the spot after it dried, and it came perfectly clean like it never happened. The spray I used was Oreck Spot Remover for Stains, in case you're curious, but I think the credit goes to this crazy fabric they used... it's probably some mix of teflon, asbestos, and the flesh of virgins that would be completely impossible to make anymore.

Crazy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Crash Town 2.
Unbalanced Platformer.
Demons Down Under.
Stories: Inside the Dark, Lucrative World of Consumer Debt Collection. Thanks Digg.
Two players die during world chess event.
Science: Speaking in (Green) Tongues- Scientist Discovers New Plant Language.
Media: Overly optimistic Jeep guy.
Wait...what. Who thought that was a good idea.
A-10 taking off, filmed with a GoPro from inside the cockpit.
Auctions: First Appearance Of Superman Currently Auctioning For 1.6 Million.
The Funnies: What it's like to play online games as a grownup. Thanks Reddit.

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2014, 08:42  Blue 

Cutter wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 17:04:
People really need to stop using commercial cleaning products. They're bad for you, your pets and the environment. The only things you need to make everything you need at home are white vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, borax, soap, isopropyl alcohol. I make all my own cleansers.

Want to see what's in that Oreck sheisse?

Oreck Spot Remover Material Safety Data Sheet

If you don't want to read all 6 pages, in short it's a carcinogen that's bad for everything.

Now here's one simple, effective DIY stain remover.

DIY Stain Remover

It has 3 things. Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap. I wouldn't use Dawn - or any other major commercial brand - but even if you do it's impact is still minimal by comparison.

I'm happy for you making your own soap and stuff, but that doesn't entitle you to make up your own facts, especially under the "People need to stop..." heading. I did read all six pages, but I'm not sure you did, because there's not one word about the ingredients or their combination being carcinogenic.

In fact, it says the opposite:

Carcinogenicity: Not hazardous by OSHA criteria.

California Proposition 65:
This product does not contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth
defects or other reproductive harm.

You are correct that it does need to be and used properly to safeguard the environment... not unlike the handful of chemicals you mentioned brewing together.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2014, 05:20 1badmf

hah you shoulda been like, hey ponder! i don't want your autograph!  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2014, 02:20 xXBatmanXx

heh. I worked the Vikes preseason game tonight, Ponder was walking down the sidewalk leaving the game, no one said hi or a peep to him. We all had a good laugh. What a turd. He then went by allt he fans waiting for the team to come out and not 1 person asked him for autograph. I love it. Trade or dump his ass.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2014, 00:30 Verno

Fantaz wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 17:00:
What it's like to play online games as a grownup

sometimes i also feel like i'm getting too old for these multiplayer games... when i join a server it seems like they're getting younger and younger too. the worst are kids ages 4-9 with mic spam. how do they manage to get microphones and know how to use it?!

Yeah I hate the console guys who seem to just stream everything going on in the background. I really don't need to hear you argue with your parents, yell at the dog and whine about needing redbull or whatever. I can't stand voice chat in consoleland, its just 24/7 mics all the time. More games need to go explicitly push to talk but of course that's difficult with the already limited input options on consoles.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2014, 18:25 HorrorScope

In the Who thought that was a good idea... Twerking one...

I say it is a Lesbian convention and the mothers in the crowd are trying to teach their daughters to be one.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2014, 18:25 nin

Fantaz wrote on Aug 16, 2014, 17:00:

sometimes i also feel like i'm getting too old for these multiplayer games... when i join a server it seems like they're getting younger and younger too. the worst are kids ages 4-9 with mic spam. how do they manage to get microphones and know how to use it?!

Honestly, if there's one upside to Destiny's lack of chat outside groups, it's the silence it provides.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2014, 17:04 Cutter

People really need to stop using commercial cleaning products. They're bad for you, your pets and the environment. The only things you need to make everything you need at home are white vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, borax, soap, isopropyl alcohol. I make all my own cleansers.

Want to see what's in that Oreck sheisse?

Oreck Spot Remover Material Safety Data Sheet

If you don't want to read all 6 pages, in short it's a carcinogen that's bad for everything.

Now here's one simple, effective DIY stain remover.

DIY Stain Remover

It has 3 things. Hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dish soap. I wouldn't use Dawn - or any other major commercial brand - but even if you do it's impact is still minimal by comparison.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2014, 17:00 Fantaz

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2014, 16:35 jdreyer

Skyrim Modding gone horribly wrong.

Looks like it belongs more in Silent Hill than Skyrim.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2014, 14:35 GinRummy

"...covered in this mustardy/gold upholstery..."

I believe that color was called "Harvest Gold" which was popular in the late 60s to the very early 70s, and was replaced by "Avacado Green." My parents had old appliances in both colors and they were hideous once they aged.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 16, 2014, 13:54 nin

My canine companion curls up in the chair on occasion, and I guess it's so comfortable he could yak while reclining.

I have a cat like that (who tries my patience on a near hourly basis). I've literally seen her go from sleeping, stand up, puke, and immediately lay back down and go to sleep. Even as a crazy cat guy, she's a bit of a pain in the ass.

I'm sure Gunnar had his reasons, however, and I don't' judge him by the same standards.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo