Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars

The recently teased revival of the Sierra brand is explained on GamesBeat, where they say this will be the brand for upcoming new installments in the classic King's Quest and more recent Geometry Wars series. They say the Activision owned label will not be about re-releasing Sierra's back-catalog, but they plan to partner with "edgy" indie developers for future collaborations. "Sierra’s goal is to find and work with gifted up-and-coming indie developers working on their own amazing projects or who are passionate about working on great Sierra IP," is a quote attributed to Sierra's director of external development. "We’re in talks with a large number of other indie devs, and we can’t wait to share more details with fans in the near future." They have the following description of the two new games:

The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom developer The Odd Gentlemen are producing the new King’s Quest game. It is a fully “reimagined” take on the original series, according to Activision. The publisher promises that The Odd Gentlemen comprises a number of fans of the King’s Quest franchise. The studio intends to capture the same combination of difficult puzzles and engaging narrative as the originals. The adventure title is due out in 2015 for unspecified platforms — although the company notes it will release its software on Xbox Live, PlayStation Network, and Steam.

While we wait for King’s Quest, we can all shoot some shapes in Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions. Studio Lucid Games, which has produced a small number of mobile games, is taking on the latest entry in the popular shooter franchise. Dimensions will feature a single-player campaign with 50 different challenges in addition to 10 different battle modes. The game is due out this holiday, but Sierra once again didn’t mention any release platforms by name — but it is coming to “more platforms than ever before.”

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars Aug 12, 2014, 17:54 Jedi Master

Rosco wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 12:42:
Since everyone seems to be reminiscing about Sierra, I'd still like to see a real continuation on No One Lives Forever. Contract Jack just didn't cut it.

Seeing as Contract JACK came out right after NOLF2, it was hardly a continuation. It was more a "meanwhile, over here..." story. It was also a blatant attempt to attract the run'n'gunners with no cutscenes and minimal story. It alienated the NOLF fans and failed to attract new players, double fail.

Did they ever find out who owns the NOLF IP? Monolith said they don't own it, Vivendi said they didn't know...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars Aug 12, 2014, 15:07 the rara avis

saluk wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 14:36:
This is absolutely the best way to handle a brand relaunch. Find current developers who would be a good fit to work with the ip. We've already had decent to great continuations/remakes of many of the sierra ip in the nebulous legal world of fan sequels. Continue the brand keeping some of the spirit of the old alive - rather than trying to get the band back together to try and make games the same way they did 30 years ago.

I'll go along with this line of thinking as long as in-app purchases don't enter the picture.

8. Re: Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars Aug 12, 2014, 14:36 saluk

This is absolutely the best way to handle a brand relaunch. Find current developers who would be a good fit to work with the ip. We've already had decent to great continuations/remakes of many of the sierra ip in the nebulous legal world of fan sequels. Continue the brand keeping some of the spirit of the old alive - rather than trying to get the band back together to try and make games the same way they did 30 years ago.  

7. Re: Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars Aug 12, 2014, 12:42 Rosco

Since everyone seems to be reminiscing about Sierra, I'd still like to see a real continuation on No One Lives Forever. Contract Jack just didn't cut it.  
Consoles are schwag.

6. Re: Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars Aug 12, 2014, 11:39 the rara avis

nin wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 11:18:
the rara avis wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 11:12:
There were kickstarters from the creators of both:

Space Quest
Quest for Glory

Of course, they aren't "real" sequels, but at least spiritual successors. In true Kickstarter fashion, both are late.

Yeah, I'm getting a little worried about the Two Guys...seems to be taking awhile. And I believe the Coles mentioned something about physical rewards costing more than they anticipated awhile back.

Still, fingers crossed.

In hindsight, my nostalgia let me overlook the fact that the creators hadn't brought to life any games of note for over a decade (this is debatable for Mark Crowe.)

Neither projects were home runs in terms of exceeding their goal amounts. I'm sure their ambitions are much larger than their budgets allowed. Both projects are making progress, but it is glacial. I don't recall seeing anything about the physical rewards miscalculation.

But hey - at least we have Moebius, right? Right???

5. Re: Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars Aug 12, 2014, 11:18 nin

the rara avis wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 11:12:

Space Quest
Quest for Glory

Of course, they aren't "real" sequels, but at least spiritual successors. In true Kickstarter fashion, both are late.

Yeah, I'm getting a little worried about the Two Guys...seems to be taking awhile. And I believe the Coles mentioned something about physical rewards costing more than they anticipated awhile back.

Still, fingers crossed.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

4. Re: Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars Aug 12, 2014, 11:12 the rara avis

Space Quest
Quest for Glory

3. Re: Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars Aug 12, 2014, 11:03 NetHead

From a consumer point of view I don't see the point to this or even any of the hoopla and news about it.

So what if something is started with the name "Sierra", it's nothing more than milking a name and chances are more potential to disappoint than anything else due to nostalgia around this name. While ultimately run by and for the Activision cash machine.

"Sierra’s goal is to find and work with gifted up-and-coming indie developers working on their own amazing projects or who are passionate about working on great Sierra IP,"

I also think that quote reveals quite a bit, though may just be reading to much into it. What's so great about getting up-and-coming indie developers working on loved and established "Sierra" I.P, shouldn't something like that be done by someone with a relevant track record and understanding of said I.P rather than the "up-and-coming". Seems illogical to let some unknown develop a game for an I.P you supposedly hold in high regard.

Fully aware of my own jaded cynicism, I can't help wondering if this isn't more about trying to ensnare the "up-and-coming" and possibly successful new I.P, especially in these days when it's becoming ever easier for these up-and-coming indies to release their games without any need for deals with traditional publishers. Even the consoles seem to be making at least some effort for get indie games on their platforms.

This seems more like an attempt to mimic what the music industry has and the way they sign on the (snatch) up-and-coming talent.

2. Re: Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars Aug 12, 2014, 10:52 beigemore

A real Space Quest sequel would be pretty nice.. or even Quest for Glory.  

1. Re: Sierra Reviving King's Quest & Geometry Wars Aug 12, 2014, 10:37 nin

"Sierra’s goal is to find and work with gifted up-and-coming indie developers working on their own amazing projects or who are passionate about working on great Sierra IP,"

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo