Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement

SEGA has decided to settle the class action suit over the marketing of Aliens: Colonial Marines for $1.25 million, reports Polygon, where they have posted the legal filings in this case over whether the released version of the first-person shooter met reasonable expectations based on how it was demonstrated. The publisher is not admitting wrongdoing, but this if this settlement is approved by the court it will clear SEGA from future legal action in this matter. Gearbox is not included in this tentative settlement, as they continue to pursue their recent motion to be dropped from the suit, and the story also includes word that the plaintiffs have also filed a motion requesting more time to respond to Gearbox's request. Under terms of the SEGA agreement class members will be able to file claims, and details on how to do so will appear in the three places a video gamer is most likely to look, print issues of Guns & Ammo; ESPN; and Rolling Stone magazines.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement Aug 13, 2014, 08:40 nin

NamecaF wrote on Aug 13, 2014, 05:23:
robdot wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 12:05:
watchdogs next i guess.

TheWorse mod with Maldo textures fixes it, but yeah I could see that.

Weren't some of the textures/code pulled directly from the download/disc (IE they were there, but disabled)? (If so) That's even worse than Aliens...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement Aug 13, 2014, 05:23 NamecaF

robdot wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 12:05:
watchdogs next i guess.

TheWorse mod with Maldo textures fixes it, but yeah I could see that.

Just about every publisher/developer uses "bullshots" and awesome looking "tweaked gameplay" or "vertical slice" trailers to market their games these days... so just about every game could technically be guilty of the same thing.

It's a bullshit practice that definitely needs to stop.

12. Re: SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement Aug 12, 2014, 16:45 Wesp5

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 11:30:
Wesp5 wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 11:04:
I'm still amazed that something like this is even possible, a lot of trailers look better than the actual gameplay! Most recent case that I can remember is Bioshock Infinitive...

Not just looking better but there were many, many areas which were showcased in their 'gameplay' demos which either never made it to the game...

So what? The same was true for the Bioshock Infinite trailer which showed a critical sequence in which Elisabeth was about to being lynched and this didn't made it into the game either! Of course no one is processing because BI was a better game overall, but please people, if you want to complain because a game is bad, don't blame it on the trailers ;)!

11. Re: SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement Aug 12, 2014, 16:25 BitWraith

So everyone involved in the class-action suit gets what, a quarter? Time well spent...  

10. Re: SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement Aug 12, 2014, 15:17 DangerDog

Now SEGA needs to get their pound of flesh from Gearbox, or maybe they already did behind closed doors.

Randy and Co. were the ones that screwed the pooch with their E3 demo and saying how everything you see is in game, I did notice SEGA sanitized their site of all that footage as soon as the pitchforks started to come out but by that time it was too late.

I pre-ordered ACM and while it was a let down it wasn't the worst game ever.

9. Re: SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement Aug 12, 2014, 12:05 robdot

watchdogs next i guess.  

8. Re: SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement Aug 12, 2014, 11:54 Timmeh

I just want them to get their Phantasy Star Online 2 US servers going already. Been waiting for years.

I still remember back in 1999 plugging in my Dreamcast to a dial up connection and playing Phantasy star online. Those were some awesome gaming months. Playing an online MMO looooooooooooooooooooong before any one else pulled it off. (at least on a console)

one of my favorite, simple games of all time.

7. Re: SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement Aug 12, 2014, 11:30 Wallshadows

I'm still amazed that something like this is even possible, a lot of trailers look better than the actual gameplay! Most recent case that I can remember is Bioshock Infinitive...

Not just looking better but there were many, many areas which were showcased in their 'gameplay' demos which either never made it to the game or were instead replaced with shit that they likely threw together in ten minutes all while talking about how much they respect the license and how they are super fans!

...and, oh yeah, because it's now cannon.

They likely spent more time making a pretty demo than they did with the game as a whole and I hope, hope, hope Randy Pitchford doesn't come away from this fiasco with his hands clean and this is just one more notch in belt to see him on some kind of industry shitlist.

6. Re: SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement Aug 12, 2014, 11:27 Creston

Hopefully the fucking asshole marketoids at publishers will now stop lying through their teeth in their trailers.

5. Re: SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement Aug 12, 2014, 11:24 Julio

It will be interesting to see if this starts to allow consumers to sue for marketing buggy crappy games as being otherwise. That would be a big change in PC gaming.  

4. Re: SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement Aug 12, 2014, 11:04 Wesp5

3. Re: SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement Aug 12, 2014, 10:44 SimplyMonk

SEGA is a difficult company for me to hate. They are shady as fuck in a lot of ways and their support of Aliens: Colonial Marines (which probably the majority of the blame actually lies with Gearbox) was awful. They also massively screwed over people that bought Stormrise. Although, as with ACM, the developer holds the lion's share of the blame, SEGA specifically nixed and refused to pay to release a patch (360 & PS3) that would of addressed a number of issues with the game and actually make the game playable.

On the flip side, I love their nostalgia library from the Sega of days gone by and they own Relic and Atlus which are both companies I love. Any hurt to Sega will most likely be felt by both these companies which makes me sad.

If SEGA were to die, where would I get my next-gen Shining Force from?

2. Re: SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement Aug 12, 2014, 10:38 Task

1. Re: SEGA Offers Aliens Lawsuit Settlement Aug 12, 2014, 10:10 InBlack

Heh. Serves em right. Not that I have much love for frivolous lawsuits, but at least it will teach Sega not to have anything to do with Gearbox ever again  

I have a nifty blue line!

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo