Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I added a note about Robin Williams to Into the Black last night after it was originally posted, so I wanted to offer a sad R.I.P. for the late comic for those who missed it. If you don't remember, Robin was a real gamer who used to tell first-person shooter stories on late night TV and even named his daughter Zelda. Here's a link to a photo of Robin and one of our buds in 1987 that was posted here in 1999

The co-op mutants were at it again last night (pretty late, hence this morning's delayed update). I did a little thinking on why I was unable to get all the audio last week when using ShadowPlay to record our session, and I think the reason it was only getting my voice is that the Turtle Beach headset I use has a 3.5mm mic plug, but the rest of the audio runs through USB, which is decoded separately from my motherboard. So we played without trying to record last night, and I'll look into whether there is a way to record my headset, or if I need to get one that also uses a 3.5mm jack for audio to try this.

Sad Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Invert Selection.
Smart Pen.
SAS Zombie Assault 4.
Links: Remembering Robin Williams: The Actor and Comedian's Best Roles.
Science: Earth’s gravitational pull may partly melt a bit of the Moon.
The Domestic Cat Genome Has Been Fully Sequenced, and It's Fascinating.
Aerial Photography From WWI Shows the Massive Scale of Devastation. Thanks JDreyer.
Media: Watch Conan O’Brien break Robin Williams news to audience.
My GoPro Array.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2014, 10:56 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 13, 2014, 02:55 Brazor

I was at Disneyland on Monday and saw quite a few Gene shirts there. Not just in the shops but people wearing them. That was before he was even found dead. I didn't hear about it until my mom texted me while I was driving home.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2014, 03:34.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2014, 16:22 Frags4Fun

Such a sad feeling to know that he's gone. It feels like a small piece of me has died. Such a strange thing. The last time I felt like this with a celebrity passing was when Steve Irwin died. Eventually we'll all be nothing more than text and images on a server somewhere.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2014, 16:12 Mad Max RW

For me the only thing emotionally comparable was learning of John Candy's death. Really sad. He was such a generous guy and spent so much time hanging with the troops.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2014, 16:08 nin

Doesn't warrant another post, but I just read this...

Why the Funniest People Are Sometimes the Saddest

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2014, 15:06 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 14:05:
It's remarkable how his death is impacting so many people. Virtually all my friends and acquaintances on FB are remarking how surprised they are how much its impacted them personally. I guess you figure he was just one of those guys that was always going to be around. He was well loved that's for certain.

I think it's partly that his acting was full of warmth, humor, and humility. They are among the most human of performances, for lack of a better word. Even though he was playing characters, you felt like you knew the man.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2014, 14:21 The Half Elf

My Idol, my inspiration, my comfort, my joy. You will be missed.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2014, 14:05 Cutter

It's remarkable how his death is impacting so many people. Virtually all my friends and acquaintances on FB are remarking how surprised they are how much its impacted them personally. I guess you figure he was just one of those guys that was always going to be around. He was well loved that's for certain.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2014, 11:51 Prez

Thanks for the many laughs over the years Robin. Rest in peace.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2014, 11:35 Creston

Very sad news about Robin Williams.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2014, 10:52 Verno

Yeah its really sad about Robin Williams, very talented guy who touched a lot of peoples lives.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2014, 10:32 nin

InBlack wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 10:28:
Definitely going to make an effort and (re)watch some of his better films over the weekend. One of the few hollywood stars who seemed to truly be a good person.

I'm not sure I can, for awhile. I thought about breaking out Vietnam or Dead Poets, but I think it's too hard for me, right now.

Really sad he's gone. Terrific guy, one of a kind.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2014, 10:28 InBlack

Definitely going to make an effort and (re)watch some of his better films over the weekend. One of the few hollywood stars who seemed to truly be a good person.  

I have a nifty blue line!

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 12, 2014, 10:00 PHJF

I remember him demoing Spore, or as I like to call it, the reason I can't get hyped about anything ever again.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo