Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

John Romero's New Shooter Plans

John Romero is apparently toying with the idea of developing a new first-person shooter, reports Joystiq after sitting down with the famed designer for their Super Joystiq Podcast Gamescom Special. They say the first shooter since Daikatana from the DOOM and QUAKE collaborator will come from Romero Games, rather than Loot Drop, though this all sounds very preliminary with Romero saying he's working on several games right now. They offer the following outline of how John and wife Brenda spilled the beans:

Here's how it went down:

"I'm working on several games at once right now," John Romero said. "But [Brenda] had mentioned earlier that I'm working with a concept artist, and so I've got some cool imagery for the main character."

Brenda Romero jumped in: "I'm concerned about how much you're going to say."

"I haven't made a shooter since 2000. So I'm basically starting to work on another one," John Romero said. And the room. Went. Wild.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

67. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 16, 2014, 07:36 Caslon

Who cares what a fossil like Romero does? Does anyone care?  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

66. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 13, 2014, 13:24 jdreyer

I still have yet to understand why that room exploded with applause. Was it just that it was filled with clueless fanbois?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

65. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 22:57 Flatline

LanikTnt wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 06:24:
The ad is the main reason why people think he's egotistical. Of course that was a long time ago and he's apologized since. I say it's time to give him a break.

John Romero's about to make you his bitch.

And the Ferrari, and the playboy spread his girlfriend did as basically an ad for Ion Storm, and the idea that graphic designers can drive video game projects, and so on and so forth...

I could continue. The bitch thing is hardly the most egotistical thing he's done. The only reason why it's memorable was because it was *so* opposite of reality.

64. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 22:54 Flatline

wtf_man wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 09:38:
Flatline wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 00:40:
His ego helped kill off Looking Glass Studios.

Huh? WTF did he ever have to do with Looking Glass?
Other than Recruit Warren Spector for Deus Ex after Looking Glass already imploded?

Eidos had the opportunity to bail out Ion Storm hemorrhaging money on Daikatana or support Looking Glass.

Romero's ego and industry personality was a big reason why Eidos backed Ion Storm.

I won't say he was the sole reason why LGS went under (There were a lot of steps, and LGS isn't innocent by any means), but LGS was coming off of System Shock 2 and helping with the Thief games, and Ion Storm was putting up playboy spreads of Romero's girlfriend on the conference table.

If memory serves the only good game Ion Storm put out was Deus Ex, and that was because Warren Spector siloed off from the rest of Ion Storm and put out a good game.

63. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 20:07 Fantaz

if he creates a spiritual successor to the original Quake 1 then i will shit my pants with joy... xD  

62. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 18:43 Verno

Krovven wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 16:40:
It's not like John Romero did something truly horrible to humanity. Now if only so much passion would be put towards actual real problems in this world instead of vilifying a game developer, 15 years down the road.

Sure but this is no different than movies, music or any other media industry. The public in general is all about what have you done for me lately. Even moreso for someone who made several public faux pas. As several actors have noted, you're only as good as your last performance.

Yeah id hasn't done much other than make great tech but you also ignore that he's had plenty of opportunities since leaving id but hasn't really done anything either. If he wants to sell a game again he absolutely has something to prove and I bet John himself would say the same thing.

There's certainly never been a better opportunity with crowdfunding and the large resurgence of the PC gaming market. I wish him luck, more games are always welcome.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

61. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 18:08 nin

Carmack had no choice but to appoint American McGee from doing support calls to level design.

Even back then, American McGee's American McGee was ready to copy other people's work!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

60. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 17:37 Paketep

Giant Bomb to the rescue:

The success of Doom and Doom II began to have an impact on Romero. Apparently, he became so engrossed with fame and deathmatching with fans that he neglected his work completely. This created a lot of pressure during the development of Quake and John Carmack was saddened that his programming buddy was skipping work. Carmack had no choice but to appoint American McGee from doing support calls to level design. It turned out to be the right decision as American was able to create more levels than Romero.

On August 6, 1996, Romero was called on a meeting and was given the news that his fellow id members were firing him. This was what John Carmack said to Romero,

"You're not doing your work! You're not living up to your responsibilities. You're hurting the project. You're hurting the company. You've been poisonous to the company, and your contribution has been negative over the past couple years. You needed to do better but you didn't. Now you need to go! Here's a resignation and here's a termination! You're going to resign now!"

59. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 17:33 Paketep

id software arguably didn't make anything good after Romero left, so there is that.

Quake 3 disagrees with you.

On the topic of him leaving, it's also publicly known that others were forced out of id software for disagreements on the design of games and future of the company.

If I remember Masters of Doom (it's been a long time since I read it), he was fired because he wasn't working shit, he was just playing and chatting with fanboys about how great he was.

John Romero has nothing to prove, at least not to the heathens here.

He has, if he wants anyone to buy his game. That's if he finishes it, of course.

58. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 17:30 Paketep

Trevellian wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 06:42:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 00:43:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:28:
Flak wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:22:
Unless you're giving us Doom 2 with challenging AI, 40 decently designed levels, enemies that actually pose a challenge, weapons that don't feel like yet another shitty M16 clone (don't forget all the goofy accessories), and full 32 player multiplayer carnage with LAN/Dedicated servers...

If I ain't gots me a chainsaw, a double-barrel shotgun, and an ample supply of demon guts plastered all over the screen: GET BACK IN YOUR HOLE ROMERO.

+1

The problem is that kids these days only want rail shooters and twitch tiny room shooters. Skill and level design is long gone....

And then there is the excellent level design of Titanfall.

You forget that like 98% of Blues didn't give Titanfall a chance because Activision/COD Creators. Be realistic Seph.

Nope. You have the answer in the paragraph above: Origin, no LAN and no public dedicated servers.

As for Romero, this will probably flop. He lost it years ago. If he delivers, fantastic, but I'm not wasting any breath waiting for it.

As for the hate?. Take the bitch ad, take what he did with Ion Storm, read how he takes credit for everything, read Masters of Doom. He was (and is) the Bieber of the gaming industry.

57. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 16:40 Krovven

Verno wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 09:00:
Krovven wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 05:59:
Some of you need a reality check and maybe look yourselves in the mirror.

I don't personally care about him because hey, he did some dumb things when he was young, who here hasn't? That being said, an introspective look in the mirror over derision of a videogame developer? Mmmm no, that seems a bit overly dramatic.

Disastrous failure overshadowing success is nothing new in this industry or any other.

Does he deserve another chance? Absolutely. All he has to do is make another great game and I'm sure all is forgiven among the offended. Until then most people will remember him for the silly ads and various failures.

Overly dramatic, like the grown men here posting straight up hateful comments towards a man they do not know and likely have never met or even talk to?

Only weak people like to beat others down constantly, especially over something inconsequential. It's not like John Romero did something truly horrible to humanity. Now if only so much passion would be put towards actual real problems in this world instead of vilifying a game developer, 15 years down the road.

id software arguably didn't make anything good after Romero left, so there is that. On the topic of him leaving, it's also publicly known that others were forced out of id software for disagreements on the design of games and future of the company.

John Romero has nothing to prove, at least not to the heathens here.

56. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 11:24 Creston

wtf_man wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 09:38:

Other than Recruit Warren Spector for Deus Ex after Looking Glass already imploded?

I'm guessing he meant Ion Storm. Which is still a dark mark on his resume.

55. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 11:20 Creston

Fletch wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 20:03:
as if you've forgotten he's made some of the best fucking games of all time.

By himself, obviously. He designed every level in Doom, designed every monster, every weapon, and every single line of code. With Quake, he even designed the box art!

I can't wait to see what he does (as long as it's a PC game).

Yeah, because that's absolutely where his focus has been since Ion Storm.

54. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 10:50 UHD

Not gonna lie, kinda curious what he's got in mind.

Daikatana was 14 years ago. Let's see the culmination of the lessons learned since then.

53. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 09:38 wtf_man

52. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 09:17 Mr. Tact

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:41:
I'll volunteer to be the first bitch.
Can I volunteer to be the first to make Killcreek my bitch? Pimp

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

51. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 09:06 gilly775

And the room. Went. Wild.

Did we all of a sudden forget Daikatana?

50. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 09:00 Verno

Krovven wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 05:59:
Some of you need a reality check and maybe look yourselves in the mirror.

I don't personally care about him because hey, he did some dumb things when he was young, who here hasn't? That being said, an introspective look in the mirror over derision of a videogame developer? Mmmm no, that seems a bit overly dramatic.

Disastrous failure overshadowing success is nothing new in this industry or any other.

Does he deserve another chance? Absolutely. All he has to do is make another great game and I'm sure all is forgiven among the offended. Until then most people will remember him for the silly ads and various failures.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

49. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 07:07 InBlack

Krovven wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 06:13:
What the fuck are you talking about? Where exactly is Romero claiming he did everything? The information of what he and others worked on is available on the net in various locations. He (along with others) were highly involved in all the games and he was one of the founders of id.
Hell, before they formed id, HE was the one that put the team together that formed id.

You are seriously a deluded fanboy Krooven. Im one of the most die hard fans of id software, but there is a reason why Romero was kicked out of id. Maybe you should check some of those sources of yours on what exactly went wrong within id software and what part Romero played in that. Yes he was the founder of the studio, but how is that relevant to any of his game design credits and skills, or even his ability to lead a studio, since he was basicaly fired for being a douchebag who did no work and couldnt be a team player to save his life.

I have a nifty blue line!

48. Re: John Romero's New Shooter Plans Aug 12, 2014, 06:42 Trevellian

Sepharo wrote on Aug 12, 2014, 00:43:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:28:
Flak wrote on Aug 11, 2014, 19:22:
Unless you're giving us Doom 2 with challenging AI, 40 decently designed levels, enemies that actually pose a challenge, weapons that don't feel like yet another shitty M16 clone (don't forget all the goofy accessories), and full 32 player multiplayer carnage with LAN/Dedicated servers...

If I ain't gots me a chainsaw, a double-barrel shotgun, and an ample supply of demon guts plastered all over the screen: GET BACK IN YOUR HOLE ROMERO.

+1

The problem is that kids these days only want rail shooters and twitch tiny room shooters. Skill and level design is long gone....

And then there is the excellent level design of Titanfall.

You forget that like 98% of Blues didn't give Titanfall a chance because Activision/COD Creators. Be realistic Seph.

But yeah the level design was pretty damn good, large maps, plenty of nooks, plenty of elevation combined with the pilot mobility. Everything someone who loved UT could want out of level design, minus jump pads anyway.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo