Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced

Square Enix and United Front Games announce plans for a Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition, saying this will be released in PAL territories on October 10th for Windows, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4. Word is this will update the game's dated graphics, which have 2012 written all over them:

SLEEPING DOGS: DEFINITIVE EDITION is a re-mastered update of the critically acclaimed SLEEPING DOGS which released in 2012. The capabilities of today’s hardware have truly brought the vibrant Hong Kong experience to life. In addition, a total of 24 pieces of downloadable content have been integrated into the gaming experience including the story-extending episode Year of the Snake and the horror-themed add-on Nightmare In North Point.

“It was an exciting opportunity for the original development team to be able revisit a game we’re so passionate about”, said Dan Sochan, Senior Producer at United Front Games. “We’re giving old and new fans a lot reasons to pick up the game, as we’ve gone beyond just increasing resolution and running at 1080p. We listened to the fans: we tuned gameplay, we added to the ambience of Hong Kong, increased audio fidelity and pushed the visuals further than we could on the previous generation of consoles.”

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 9, 2014, 05:29 Quinn

I'd argue that this game has the best atmosphere any game has ever achieved. It sounds crazy, but after I was done playing Sleeping Dogs, I felt like I had been to Hong Kong. Absolutely amazing achievement and I keep applauding them for it every time I'm reminded of it.

I had a great time playing this game. The plot keeps you interested to the very end -- although I did feel the end was rather sudden, but maybe that's because I couldn't get enough of it. Gameplay felt a bit clunky at first but grew on me rather quickly, also the vehicle handling.

I'm not sure for how much they're gonna sell it. I hope the people that own the original will get a big discount.

I bought the game for 25 euros on Steam. About a day later, it went don't to 10 euros if not less. The knifewound luckily healed quickly because I had such an amazing time with the game anyway.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 9, 2014, 03:55 MDB

I liked driving around at night while listening to Ninja Tune Radio. Some rather nice atmosphere.  

17. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 9, 2014, 01:43 Flatline

Good to see that it still is kicking sort of.

My main complaint was that it felt like maybe 1/3 of the game got cut for budgetary purposes. I mean, there's that whole sub-plotline of the rap megastar forming a friendship with you and offering you a shitload of money making business, you say sure let's do that, and then... nothing the plot is completely abandoned.

The drug busts through the CCTV cameras sucked too. Little things like that.

16. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 22:22 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 20:49:
You guys know there was a free HD teture pack for it, right?

Pretty sure most folks should know about it. I think...

15. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 20:53 Trevellian

Fantaz wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 15:40:
trying to compete with GTA5 remastered, eh?

Hardly, although both open world games, both were completely different in feel.

Where GTAV gives you that classic 80's criminal/heist movie feel Sleeping Dogs gave that more distinct Hong Kong gang wars feel with a much more martial arts driven combat system.
Think Heat vs Hard Boiled

Sleeping Dogs had it's own things going for it. And it fully deserves this new coat of paint. The game already looked beautiful and colorful in the shady neon lit market streets of Hong Kong in DX11 and the HD texture pack, so I can't wait to see it overhauled.

I don't see why this has to be about trying to compete with Rockstar at all. Everyone knows Sleeping Dogs sold nowhere near as many copies as GTAV, that doesn't mean it wasn't a great game.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

14. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 20:49 Cutter

You guys know there was a free HD teture pack for it, right?

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 20:27 Elf Shot The Food

I enjoyed this game, 2012 graphics and all. Got the version with the dozens of DLC packs off Steam for $6 a few weeks back.  

12. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 20:09 Slashman

siapnar wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 19:27:
The Half Elf wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 15:46:
Only issue the game had was with the vehicle controls, which I don't see them mentioning.
I stopped playing because the vehicles were so damn arcadey.
That type of driving just didn't fit into the rest of the game

LOL! Seriously?

11. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 19:27 siapnar

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 15:46:
Only issue the game had was with the vehicle controls, which I don't see them mentioning.
I stopped playing because the vehicles were so damn arcadey.
That type of driving just didn't fit into the rest of the game

I have projectile dysfunction.
------------------------------
Playing: Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, DiRT 2, Trials Frontier

10. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 18:33 Cutter

You can find a lot more about this announcement here....

United Front Games had this to say about the new Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition, “We’re giving old and new fans a lot reasons to pick up the game, as we’ve gone beyond just increasing resolution and running at 1080p. We listened to the fans: we tuned gameplay, we added to the ambience of Hong Kong, increased audio fidelity and pushed the visuals further than we could on the previous generation of consoles.” Screenshots are available to view above. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition is set to release on October 10th for Playstation 4 and Xbox One.

So it's a complete overhaul.

And Sleepy Dogs: Triad Wars is apparently still on schedule for a 2014 release. So if it's true it'll obviously be Xmas. They've been awful quiet about it so I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if it gets pushed back.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

9. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 18:18 ViRGE

LittleMe wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 15:42:
Damn those 2012 graphics to hell !!! Bring on the glorious graphical splendor of 2014!!

The PC version already had Direct3D 11 optimizations. So it's likely these are being ported over for the current-gen consoles and are the graphical upgrades the announcement speaks of.

8. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 17:53 CJ_Parker

Free update for owners of the Steam version fuckers or I'm gonna rape you doggystyle in your sleep!  

7. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 16:37 Creston

They announced the sequel, but that's it. It's being worked on, though.  

6. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 16:18 Slashman

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 16:15:
I might pick it up again if it's cheap enough. I never thought the visuals were the problem, it was the driving that was the big issue.

Also, a lot of the DLC is of the overpowered variety, so depending on what they add, things might quickly get waaaaay too easy. Both Year of the Snake and Nightmare in North Point were actually pretty fun, so having those included is pretty cool.

All in all, since I already own most of it anyway, I doubt I'd pay more than 5 bucks for it, unless the graphical update is truly jaw-dropping.

Pretty much this. Was really hoping for a sequel reveal instead.

5. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 16:15 Creston

I might pick it up again if it's cheap enough. I never thought the visuals were the problem, it was the driving that was the big issue.

Also, a lot of the DLC is of the overpowered variety, so depending on what they add, things might quickly get waaaaay too easy. Both Year of the Snake and Nightmare in North Point were actually pretty fun, so having those included is pretty cool.

All in all, since I already own most of it anyway, I doubt I'd pay more than 5 bucks for it, unless the graphical update is truly jaw-dropping.

4. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 16:12 Verno

I hope its all of the DLC included, this game had Ubisoft syndrome going on there. Great game though.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

3. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 15:46 The Half Elf

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 15:42 LittleMe

Damn those 2012 graphics to hell !!! Bring on the glorious graphical splendor of 2014!!

Perpetual debt is slavery.

1. Re: Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition Announced Aug 8, 2014, 15:40 Fantaz

trying to compete with GTA5 remastered, eh?  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo