Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sierra Entertainment Revival

Sierra Entertainment ceased to exist in its original form a long time ago, most obviously when Ken and Roberta Williams sold the company, which helped usher in the first golden era of computer gaming (there is some history on the SierraGamers website). The company formerly known as Sierra On-Line eventually wound up the property of Activision after their merger with Vivendi, but now a Sierra website has popped up suggesting the brand is being revived. The site has a caption reading GamesCom 2014, which gets underway next week in Cologne, Germany, so we should learn more about this soon enough. This seems similar to how Infogrames started using the Atari brand several years ago, but the dynamics are different, because Activision is a far more established brand than Infogrames and the Atari brand is considerably more recognizable than Sierra. We shall see.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 10, 2014, 23:58 Ant

Zyrxil wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 10:48:
Obviously they're reforming in order to help publish Half-Life 3! We've come full circle!
That will be awesome.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 9, 2014, 08:14 Quinn

Fantaz wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 15:21:
Xero wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 10:58:
Oh how I loved seeing the Sierra logo whenever my cousin used to load up the classics back on DOS in the 90s. Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest, Police Quest, Gabriel Knight. Ahh good memories.

me too!! Sierra logo was a part of my childhood... *sniff*

Haha, a big part of my childhood too.

One of the first games I bought with my own money was a Quest for Glory game. I remember going to the gameshop with my parents to buy the game, afterward going for a bite at the McDonalds with them (which was special in and of itself). I couldn't stop holding the QfG box, staring at the screenshots as I took a bite from my hamburger or fries and rereading every text I could find over and over.
I think I just turned 20 back then.
Just kidding, I was around 9 years old.

*sigh* Good times.

This news is the most heartwarming news I've read in a long time.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 9, 2014, 08:02 Burrito of Peace

Rigs wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 22:38:
*turns lights back on to huge closet Babylon5: Into The Fire shrine*

Maybe...just maybe... Pray

Don't you dare tease like that!

30. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 23:56 Sepharo

Activision hedging its bets by putting in place a small Adventure studio?
With all the recent Adventure comebacks on Kickstarter and the Oculus Rift a dice roll from going viral it's probably not a bad move at all.

I wonder if any of the Kickstarter folks like Jane Jensen and Two Guys From Andromeda are involved? What's Roberta Williams up to?

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2014, 22:38 Rigs

*turns lights back on to huge closet Babylon5: Into The Fire shrine*

Maybe...just maybe... Pray

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

28. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 15:44 Shineyguy

walrus1 wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 12:19:
SirKnight wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 11:21:
Bring back SWAT!!!!!

YES!! And don't dumb it down for the console kiddies!

I loved playing SWAT4 online.

27. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 15:39 Frijoles

Bundy wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 14:40:
Did they respond regarding the language?

They did. I just tried to find it (I know I have it somewhere), but I have no idea where it is these days. It was basically a proprietary language based off of another one. I remember thinking, "Well crap, I can't learn that then." This was back when they were using the text parser in their games (give pills to dog).

26. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 15:21 Fantaz

Xero wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 10:58:
Oh how I loved seeing the Sierra logo whenever my cousin used to load up the classics back on DOS in the 90s. Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest, Police Quest, Gabriel Knight. Ahh good memories.

me too!! Sierra logo was a part of my childhood... *sniff*

Bundy wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 14:35:
SlimRam wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 13:48:
The Phantasmagoria games were kinda creepy and a little scary...I might have pooped them while playing...a little.

We all pooped. Some of us more than a little.

my nickname is slightly based off that game's name. i loved it!

25. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 15:17 saluk

Bundy wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 14:40:
Frijoles wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 13:08:
The adventure genre died for me many years ago. Just haven't found it interesting at all. I've played the emulators of Kings Quest and Space Quest, and while fun, they didn't hold me for very long. When those games came out, though, I played them all day long. And I also sent letters to Sierra asking which language to learn so I could someday work for them.

What I want to see, is a return to the adventure genre, but with the Rift. If there's one area where the Rift really shines, it's adventure games. Moving slowly through a world, finding stuff, exploring. Dear Esther worked really well with it. Games that are thick with atmosphere work well. And who better to bring us adventure games than Sierra?

Not that I'm expecting much.

Agreed regarding the Rift, I feel like it would be better suited to a first person view adventure than a shooter, where your gun always faces the middle of your POV.

The best rift experiences available definitely are slower moving more thoughtful ones, usually with atmospheric environments and a chance to actually look around at them. I really liked this "Rear Window" style game last year where you are spying on your neighbors.

All the fast paced stuff makes me puke.

24. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 15:14 DangerDog

I doubt we would even have PC gaming today if it weren't for Sierra.

23. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 14:40 Bundy

Frijoles wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 13:08:
The adventure genre died for me many years ago. Just haven't found it interesting at all. I've played the emulators of Kings Quest and Space Quest, and while fun, they didn't hold me for very long. When those games came out, though, I played them all day long. And I also sent letters to Sierra asking which language to learn so I could someday work for them.

What I want to see, is a return to the adventure genre, but with the Rift. If there's one area where the Rift really shines, it's adventure games. Moving slowly through a world, finding stuff, exploring. Dear Esther worked really well with it. Games that are thick with atmosphere work well. And who better to bring us adventure games than Sierra?

Agreed regarding the Rift, I feel like it would be better suited to a first person view adventure than a shooter, where your gun always faces the middle of your POV.

22. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 14:35 Bundy

SlimRam wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 13:48:
The Phantasmagoria games were kinda creepy and a little scary...I might have pooped them while playing...a little.

We all pooped. Some of us more than a little.

21. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 13:58 Graham

The announcement has them re-uniting Roger Wilco, Sonny Bonds, King Graham (and Valanice, Alexander and Rosella), Larry Laugher, and Generic Hero Guy from Speilburg in a new 2D brawling game for consoles.  

20. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 13:48 SlimRam

I'm bringing Sexy Back

Luckily, I kept the receipt

19. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 13:43 Beamer

NKD wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 11:30:
Luke wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 10:49:
InBlack wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 10:41:
Might as well call it McDonalds Gaming...in this, or any case of a brand revival, the quality of games to spring from these studios will depend on the people who work on them.

And people today working on games lack of passion and love for those games they make , its all about money nada else ,

Bullshit. If people working on games only cared about money, they wouldn't be working on games. Your job security is poor and pay and benefits usually less than what you'd get working for MS or Google or some other software giant. What you say might be true of some corporate bean counters, but that's always been true of corporate bean counters. It's not true of the people who put their time into making these games.

The cost to make a game you can get away with charging 50-60 bucks for has skyrocketed in the last 20 years, so since more money is involved, more bean counters are involved.

We can get the bean counters out of gaming, but it would mean no longer spending 20, 30, 100 million dollars making them.

Even then, the beancounters would be paid more elsewhere and have to jump through hurdles to get into the industry. Those beancounters love games. Their jobs is just to count beans, not to love games, so that's what they do. They do what they're paid to do.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 13:36 Wildone

My 1st job was at Sierra, we had some fun times lol  

17. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 13:30 1badmf

dunno if any of you remember it, but quest for glory (at the time hero's quest before some litigation changed it) was the first taste of RPGs i'd ever had. great intro to character development and storytelling.

also, code wheels were for nubs. even as a 10 y/o, i could hack my way into most games just be guessing or using the hex editor in norton commander.

16. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 13:25 Burrito of Peace

Oh, Sierra, how I fondly remember you. Thanks in part to Sierra, I had a thriving piracy business as a kid. Ziplock baggies with floppies, Xeroxed manuals and functional copies of those code wheels they went to.  

15. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 13:19 theyarecomingforyou

Fuck Sierra, bring back Infogrames.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

14. Re: Sierra Entertainment Revival Aug 8, 2014, 13:08 Frijoles

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo