Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Casey Hudson Departs BioWare

The BioWare blog announces that Casey Hudson has departed BioWare after nearly 16 years with the developer, during which time he led development of the Mass Effect trilogy among other accomplishments. He most recently was developing a new IP, and the blog quotes Hudson as saying: "The foundation of our new IP in Edmonton is complete, and the team is ready to move forward into pre-production on a title that I think will redefine interactive entertainment." The article also includes a message of appreciation for BioWare fans:

"Long before I worked in games, I was fascinated by their ability to transport me to places where amazing and memorable experiences awaited. When I made my very first asset that I knew would actually make it into a game (the laser bolt in MDK2!) I couldnít believe how fortunate I was to contribute in some small way to the process of creating interactive entertainment.

Now, having led the development of four major titles, Iím profoundly appreciative of the role Iíve been able to play in creating these games. The very idea that so many of you have enjoyed spending time in the worlds weíve created is the defining achievement of my career, and itís your support over the years that made it all possible."

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 9, 2014, 07:18 Quinn

Verno wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 10:33:
That's fair, you're right he did a lot of fantastic things in his career and it shouldn't be defined by the one mistake he made. ME3 was a pretty good game anyway despite the ending.

True, but it was exactly the ending that destroyed all the beauty of the entire ME franchise like some monstrous solar flare. It was a ridiculous form of self-absorbed arrogance (that drooped from his very face to begin with -- I was wondering when it would bleed into a Bioware game to catastrophic results) that made it possible for almost that single man to piss off almost the entire fanbase.

I'm glad he's out. I know it's a lynch mob mentality but with such a dumb fuckup, all sympathy for the man died in a fire.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2014, 08:02.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2014, 11:45 Creston

NewMaxx wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 06:29:
If you want to see how a lead designer properly manages a team, check out Chris Avellone.

Because there was literally nothing wrong with Alpha Protocol, after all. The combat in that game played like a smooth, buttery dream. Kotor2? Best ending ever. Everything Chris Avellone touches turns to gold. (And was he even lead designer on anything? Isn't Josh Sawyer usually the lead?)

My point is to loop back to the Sun Tzu saying which is basically that the leader must not be vague about what is acceptable and it sounds awfully like this guy was vague.

How was he vague? He signed off on the ending that Mac Walters wrote by himself, likely because they were just a few months away from shipping and still did not have an ending. He likely didn't have much choice at that point anymore.

I'm not giving him a pass on the ME3 ending (they definitely should have involved the other writers, especially since Mac Walters is a fucking hack,) but the guy led development on four great games. He deserves more kudos for that than for fucking up one ending (which, again, they later fixed anyway.)

28. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 8, 2014, 10:33 Verno

That's fair, you're right he did a lot of fantastic things in his career and it shouldn't be defined by the one mistake he made. ME3 was a pretty good game anyway despite the ending.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

27. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 8, 2014, 10:03 UHD

You can have a long, illustrious, 16 year career spanning several major franchises and numerous commercial and critical successes. But fuck up one ending...  

26. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 8, 2014, 08:46 Verno

saluk wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 02:20:
Mistakes as bad as ME3 are on everyone. Nice to have a scapegoat I guess.

If you mean the ending, he and the head writer were directly responsible for it and shut out the rest of the team while working on it. He's not simply a scapegoat or indirectly responsible as a manager.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

25. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 8, 2014, 07:01 KilrathiAce

BioWare cant get much worse so its ok  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2014, 06:29 NewMaxx

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 05:50:
Correction: Mistakes are only on everyone, when everyone agrees to it. When the lead designer says: "this is good, we'll go with it." The mistake is clearly on them, and only them. That's the whole point behind a lead designer, to sort out the crap and make the best choices, not the expedient ones.

That is a variation of Sun Tzu's thoughts on leadership, and I'd agree. I see people complaining all the time about how CEOs get massive salaries and can just move to another job if shit hits the fan, and yet when it comes to game design suddenly it's "mistakes are on everyone." The guy gets paid more to make decisions and take responsibility for the outcomes.

If you want to see how a lead designer properly manages a team, check out Chris Avellone. I actually worked briefly as an assistant designer for what passed as an indie gaming company over 15 years ago and while I had a lot of leeway, it was clear what was allowable and what was not. My point is to loop back to the Sun Tzu saying which is basically that the leader must not be vague about what is acceptable and it sounds awfully like this guy was vague.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2014, 06:19 007Bistromath

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 05:50:
Correction: Mistakes are only on everyone, when everyone agrees to it. When the lead designer says: "this is good, we'll go with it." The mistake is clearly on them, and only them. That's the whole point behind a lead designer, to sort out the crap and make the best choices, not the expedient ones.
It wasn't even that. The other writers were literally not allowed to have any input on the ending. Casey Hudson and that other douchebag wrote that bullshit in secret all by themselves. The dude's not a scapegoat, he is literally to blame for how fucked all that was.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2014, 05:50 Mashiki Amiketo

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

21. Re: Into the Black Aug 8, 2014, 03:26 InBlack

Darks wrote on Aug 8, 2014, 00:09:
NegaDeath wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 21:04:
I wonder if his resignation letter was on red, blue or green paper.

LOL!

+1

Indeed. Pure win.

I have a nifty blue line!

20. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 8, 2014, 02:31 nin

Acleacius wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 20:54:
When your screw ups are so massive, it's what your remembered by not your years of experience.

Bill Roper says "Hi!"

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 8, 2014, 02:20 saluk

18. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 8, 2014, 02:05 El Pit

So Casey Hudson came into the head honcho's office, where the boss' kid sat on a table. On this table, there was a red, a green, and a blue letter. All of them said "You're fired!", but on the red you could read "...but it was a n amicable split", the green said "...because you wanted to leave us", and the blue said "...because WE fired YOU". Hudson slowly clapped, took the green letter, and left quietly.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

17. No subject Aug 8, 2014, 00:40 Mashiki Amiketo

Icewind wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 23:10:

And was written by Jennifer Hepler, who complained that Casey wanted to, quote, "find her family and kill her"
Probably. Then again I never did hear that there were on-going investigations into that. There was a burp and then it just faded away...

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

16. Re: Into the Black Aug 8, 2014, 00:09 Darks

LOL!

+1

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

15. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 7, 2014, 23:53 Creston

NKD wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 19:37:
Flatline wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 19:09:
Is he the guy who supposedly locked himself away for ME3 and wrote that "ending"?

That'd be the guy...

No, that was Mac Walters. Casey didn't write it. Rumors say that Casey signed off on the ending wholeheartedly, but on the flipside, they were like two months away from shipping and Walters still hadn't figured out how to actually end the story, so at that point you'd probably sign off on anything, even the turd of an ending that Walters finally crapped out.

They deserved all the flak they got for the ME3 ending (even though they made it a bit better with the extended cut, and did actually release an Ending DLC without calling it that), but in the end Casey was project director on KOTOR, and lead on the Mass Effect trilogy. Those are four great, great games that he was in charge of, and I think he deserves much appreciation for that.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2014, 23:59.

14. Re: Casey Hudson Departs BioWare Aug 7, 2014, 23:51 Creston

Sucks, because he was an awesome lead designer, and Bioware will get worse because of it.

Ten bucks says he'll join Oculus.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2014, 23:10 Icewind

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 23:01:
I'm pretty sure it will also include liberal use of the "awesome button."

And was written by Jennifer Hepler, who complained that Casey wanted to, quote, "find her family and kill her"

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2014, 23:01 Mashiki Amiketo

I'm pretty sure it will also include liberal use of the "awesome button."

--
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

11. Re: Into the Black Aug 7, 2014, 22:46 nin

We're done here, folks. NegaDeath wins the thread.

Kudos!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo