Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds

The Steam forums announce that Codemasters is offering refunds for customers who purchased the recently released Colin McRae Rally on Steam who are unhappy with this Windows and OS X port of the Colin McRae Rally game released last year for mobile devices (thanks nin via Kotaku). The game's description now more clearly explains this, and they will accommodate those who feel they were misled by the previous description:

At Codemasters, we care about our customers and pride ourselves on listening to our community.

We understand that some people who bought Colin McRae Rally on Steam are upset and feel that it isn’t the game they thought it would be. We have now updated the product description for clarification.

Furthermore, as an act of good faith, we have worked with Valve to enable anyone that bought the game to claim a refund. The ability to refund will be available until the 19th August.

To process a refund, please go to your account transactions page and you will see a “Refund” button for Colin McRae Rally. We hope this goes some way to restoring any lost faith and thank you as always, for your continued support.

View
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

36. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 7, 2014, 16:23 Quboid

I generally subscribe to Occam's Razor on these things but they are still doing it.

The marketing spiel makes sense for a mobile game, where "re-mastered" isn't expected to be true in the traditional sense, and for this marketing to then be badly ported over without appreciating the PC market's expectations.

The problem is that they're still implying that it's based on CMR2.0. They know that this is being misunderstood and they've added the bare minimum so they can claim it's not being mis-sold. By claiming this is CMR re-mastered for HD, I think they are still mis-selling because re-mastered doesn't mean "passing resemblance" in any other market. Mis-selling is about the only case in which Valve intervene so I wonder if they told Codemasters to sort it out before they had to.

If they weren't being dicks in the first place, they are now.

- Quboid
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

35. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 7, 2014, 11:46 Beamer

PHJF wrote on Aug 7, 2014, 09:08:
I'm sorry, but the only reasonable explanation is that this was a deliberate attempt to mislead consumers. There was a game called Colin McRae Rally released in 1998. *This* game is called Colin McRae Rally.

Only a complete moron would release a game with the exact same title as another and not expect confusion.

It has the same tracks as the 1998 version, and it was released on mobile. Odds are this was done exclusively by the mobile team. I can't check it, but odds are all the copy is the same as what was used in the mobile. Someone literally just ported everything from one to the other.

With a $6.99 price tag, no one attempted to deceive. People just thought it would be more obvious. I mean, it's obvious to them, because it's all they've known for the past 2 years or however long it took to make this game. Calling a game with the same assets and the same idea the same thing on mobile is very common, especially when the name is fairly generic. Porting it to the PC is less common, and people clearly underestimated how obvious it would be (and likely overestimated how in demand it would be.)

As per usual, incompetence and corporate inertia is usually the answer, not evil.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2014, 09:51 Quboid

Rigs wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 23:36:
Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 22:49:
In your car dealership example, Burrito of Peace, if the dealer doesn't let you take a car for a test drive do you go ahead and take a 2 hour joyride?

Oh, come on now, you know damn well that's not what he meant.

Comparing physical goods to digital ones is always problematic but essentially yes - it looked to me like he was saying that if a demonstration isn't made available, breaking the law is fine as long as you only break it a little bit. I kind of agree, but a judge would not. I don't think pirating to get a demonstration version is particularly bad but to many (especially outside gaming) that looks like a feeble justification - and to some pirates, it is.

PHJF, is that sarcasm? It feels like sarcasm but doesn't really make sense as such.

- Quboid

33. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 7, 2014, 09:08 PHJF

I'm sorry, but the only reasonable explanation is that this was a deliberate attempt to mislead consumers. There was a game called Colin McRae Rally released in 1998. *This* game is called Colin McRae Rally.

Only a complete moron would release a game with the exact same title as another and not expect confusion.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

32. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 7, 2014, 06:41 KilrathiAce

Game ported to PC from mobile wow thats a new low, thats even lower than straight console port. Sad, gotta remember this Codemasters, and as for refunds good thats allowed because frankly to buy a game for pc that was designed for mobiles is like sad.  

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

31. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 7, 2014, 06:23 Krovven

The day this released, first thing I did was check the Discussions in Steam. Had my answer immediately. It was a mobile game port and not the original. But, some people are stupid I guess.

With that said, it really should have been more clear on the store page this was a port of the mobile game.

Which begs the question...what idiot at Codemasters thought porting the mobile game would be better than updating the old PC game that was so highly regarded?

Edit: This is the misleading phrase on the store page, and it's the very first line.
"Hit the dirt in Colin McRae Rally - the classic off-road racing experience"

This reads as though it's the "classic" PC game. There is nothing classic about a year old mobile game that got very mediocre reviews.

30. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 7, 2014, 05:52 Julio

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 19:08:
Bullshit. Keep fucking that high horse you're on.

Not stealing software I guess is being on a high horse to some. Personally if I were a software pirate I'd just man up and admit it without trying to pretend there's a legitimate reason for it.

Prez wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 19:55:
To be fair they were sharing experiences, not trying to justify piracy.

They are sharing their reason why they pirate games. I agree they're not trying to justify all software piracy.

Redmask wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 19:53:
I'm not trying to justify piracy but some things you can only tell by playing yourself, saying to watch Youtube is not a reliable way for me to find out. A demo is a reliable way. Piracy is not a demo of course and I don't bother with it myself, it's much easier to just find something else to play where they do offer a demo or trial.

I leverage Youtube, user reviews; and demos/trials if they're available. If the game looks like it could be mediocre and has no legal option to try it - I'll just pass on it. Not like there's a shortage of games out there. Those who can't could wait for a huge sale on it, eventually almost every game goes for next to nothing.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2014, 23:36 Rigs

Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 22:49:
In your car dealership example, Burrito of Peace, if the dealer doesn't let you take a car for a test drive do you go ahead and take a 2 hour joyride?

Oh, come on now, you know damn well that's not what he meant. I'm not for or against people downloading games to see if they want it. We used to have demos for that and now that we have killer bandwidth (well, most of us have 'suitable' bandwidth, but killer compared to 90's dial-up) we have no demos. That makes no sense to me. Yes, we have Youtube but sometimes the look isn't what we need to know, it's the gameplay and it's sometimes very hard to gather what the gameplay is by watching a video. Kind of like the ol' adage about sim racing not being like the real thing and could never be because you're not actually in a car. Watching a video is not the same as playing the game. For some games, it's fine. Others, it's not. Especially with simulations, it's very hard to gather the fidelity of the physics engine through a video. In fact, it's impossible. I've watched a ton of videos of both Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous but I have no idea if I'm gonna actually go for it because I haven't played it the way I play it. I've watched quite a few videos of 'Rise of Flight' and I think it's something I might like, but I'm still not sure...because I haven't played it. If there was a torrent for Elite or SC (that worked), would I download it? Honestly, probably. Would it keep me from buying the game if I liked it? Hell no. I downloaded Far Cry 3 and Blood Dragon and bought both after only a couple days play. The gaming industry is part of my life, has been for a long time, so I'm going to support it any way I can. How I go about doing so is my business, but as long as I do it, what does it matter how?

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

28. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 22:49 Quboid

It was pretending to be Colin McRae Rally 2.0 "re-mastered for HD" and I wouldn't expect a cheap update of a 14 year old game to have high system requirements or to look especially good in videos. It was intentionally marketed as something that it clearly is not because (thanks to reviews and YouTubers) we know that it is a mobile game port and not CMR2.0 re-mastered, lacking everything that made that game great. They've added a note that the car and track lists are from the mobile game but it still repeatedly implies that it's principally based on CMR2.0.

I absolutely have sympathy for people who bought this. They should have researched their purchase more, sure, but it's a few bucks and making an impulse buy based on the product page isn't the craziest thing. A dishonest product page isn't justified in any scenario.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2014, 22:55.

- Quboid

27. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 22:20 Overon

Wow people just buy stuff without really vetting anything don't they? Of course that doesn't take Codemasters off the hook.  

26. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 21:05 Burrito of Peace

Watching a YouTube video is the dumbest way to judge if a game feels "right" to you or will work in your environment. It's like saying "Don't go test drive a car, just watch some random asshole on YouTube, who may or may not be an absolute shill, drive it and then decide if you want to stroll in to a dealership and write a check."

Sorry, no, and I have zero moral qualms about making sure that I don't get fucked as a consumer. Also, I frankly don't give a fuck about what is believed about my buying habits. I pirated Assassin's Creed: Black Flag and played it for about four hours before I realized that much time had passed. Absolutely loved being a pirate and the story. Bought it and every other Assassin's Creed game I could find on Steam. So, for Ubisoft, me pirating it led to me spending about $100 bucks on their products when otherwise I probably would not have spent any at all. What other people do with the material they pirate is not my concern nor will I accept the attempts of others to make it my concern. As I have already said, the games I like...I buy, if only out of self-interest in wanting to see more of those games. It's never in my best interest to not purchase games I like.

25. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 19:55 Prez

Julio wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 18:45:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 18:12:
And this is why I torrent games first..if I play it more than two hours and get enjoyment out of those two hours, I feel that I am morally obligated to purchase the game.

Quinn wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 18:17:
I'm with you on this a 100%. As a matter of fact, thanks to piracy I'm absolutely certain I've bought more games than I ever would without it!

There's no need for piracy to know if a game is crap. But it's a nice attempt to justify piracy.

To be fair they were sharing experiences, not trying to justify piracy.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 19:53 Redmask

NKD wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 19:15:
The whole point of checking out a decent review is so you don't have to waste time or bandwidth or money finding out for yourself that a game sucks. Pirating only saves you the money, not the time or bandwidth.

I'm not trying to justify piracy but some things you can only tell by playing yourself, saying to watch Youtube is not a reliable way for me to find out. A demo is a reliable way. Piracy is not a demo of course and I don't bother with it myself, it's much easier to just find something else to play where they do offer a demo or trial.

23. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 19:21 Beamer

NKD wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 19:15:
Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 19:11:
There's no need for piracy to know if a game is crap. But it's a nice attempt to justify piracy.

No, he's right.

Yeah. And it's not about being on a high horse either. I don't give a shit if you pirate, but why waste your bandwidth on pirating a whole game when you can just watch a video from a YouTuber you trust to tell you if it's worth it.

The whole point of checking out a decent review is so you don't have to waste time or bandwidth or money finding out for yourself that a game sucks. Pirating only saves you the money, not the time or bandwidth.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I occasionally buy games I hate. I put 2 minutes and 30 seconds into Pixel Piracy and decided I think I hate it (I know that's no chance, but the controls felt so wrong.)
However, it's exactly what I thought it was based on the 30 seconds of it I watched on YouTube. Barely anything at all. I gave it a shot because people here love it, but I know my taste.

I really can't think of the last time I bought a game full price that I hated. Generally, games I buy that I dislike I know I'll probably dislike and buy because it's a good deal and maybe I'll be surprised.

As someone that hates Let's Play videos, I find it incredibly easy to determine if I'll get enjoyment out of a game prior to buying it.
And, frankly, to climb up onto a high horse for a second, I find it hard to believe most pirate-before-you-buy-it people pay for every game they enjoy. They'll play through a few hours of it, decide it isn't worth $60, and never bother picking it up when it hits the price point they felt it was worth because, by then, it's months later.

-------------

22. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 19:15 NKD

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 19:11:

No, he's right.

Yeah. And it's not about being on a high horse either. I don't give a shit if you pirate, but why waste your bandwidth on pirating a whole game when you can just watch a video from a YouTuber you trust to tell you if it's worth it.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

21. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 19:11 Beamer

No, he's right.

-------------

20. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 19:08 Burrito of Peace

19. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 18:45 Julio

And this is why I torrent games first..if I play it more than two hours and get enjoyment out of those two hours, I feel that I am morally obligated to purchase the game.

Quinn wrote on Aug 6, 2014, 18:17:
I'm with you on this a 100%. As a matter of fact, thanks to piracy I'm absolutely certain I've bought more games than I ever would without it!

18. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 18:17 Quinn

And this is why I torrent games first. I do not trust reviews* to be independent and honest, demos are like finding hen's teeth and word of mouth isn't trustworthy, either. My criteria is simple; if I play it more than two hours and get enjoyment out of those two hours, I feel that I am morally obligated to purchase the game. Otherwise, I'll never see a continuation of the types of games I like. It's in my best interest to support studios that put out those kinds of games.

*There are exceptions, such as Out of Eight and Space Sim Central

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

17. Re: Colin McRae Rally Steam Refunds Aug 6, 2014, 18:12 Burrito of Peace

And this is why I torrent games first. I do not trust reviews* to be independent and honest, demos are like finding hen's teeth and word of mouth isn't trustworthy, either. My criteria is simple; if I play it more than two hours and get enjoyment out of those two hours, I feel that I am morally obligated to purchase the game. Otherwise, I'll never see a continuation of the types of games I like. It's in my best interest to support studios that put out those kinds of games.

*There are exceptions, such as Out of Eight and Space Sim Central

36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo