Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Toxikk Dedicated Servers Requested

This forum thread about Toxikk discusses the underpinnings of this recently announced first-person shooter and its claims of old-school 1999-style gaming. A preliminary discussion of dedicated server and LAN support indicated support for neither is planned, and there is a concerted effort from some of the participants to convince them to reconsider this, noting that both features are central to what the audience for such a game would expect. The latest word from the developers is they are willing to listen to the feedback on this and discuss alternative approaches. Thanks Joao.

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: Toxikk Dedicated Servers Requested Aug 6, 2014, 10:17 garrywong

There's a bit of a contradiction between the big text they paste on the screen and what they are showing of the game.
For example, why the tight tiny restricted scope on one of the guns they showed that restrict your view to just ~30% of your screen?
Another example is why those +300 or whatever score text that appears in the middle of the screen when you kill someone?
If you were to remove all that bullshit text they put on top of the gameplay video, this would look like a CoD clone, not a 1999 style arena shooter game.

And now the revelation that there are no dedicated servers kinda seals the deal. This isn't at all what they are advertising the game to be, either because they honestly don't know themselves what a 1999 style arena shooter game is supposed to be like, or because they are just trying to grab what they think will be easy bucks while skinning a generic cod shooter clone.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Toxikk Dedicated Servers Requested Aug 6, 2014, 08:06 RenownWolf

It's highly confusing o_0 They are using the Unreal Engine (be it 3.0 or 4.0), it has dedicated servers and lan functionality built in.

So they are purposefully removing a feature of the engine to control servers... They must have seen how Battlefield now makes money via controlling the servers (albeit they are numerous and easy to get) and wanted in on that action.

I'm not understanding why devs want to control the servers so badly, I rather miss community run servers with Admins who actively moved against cheaters/dickheads. I know there are still servers with active admins, but it just doesn't seem the same. Unless the cheat detection finds the hack, a public server now usually has a cheater that can come in and empty it out damn fast.

http://www.renownwolf.com

6. Re: Toxikk Dedicated Servers Requested Aug 6, 2014, 02:35 Devo_N

I played a Reakktor game about a decade ago. Some kind of cyber-punky post-apocalyptic thingy. It was beyond awful. The servers were all in Germany, so and the netcode was dismal, and no one outside Germany stood a chance. Then to top it off the game was flooded with cheaters.

Even without those flaws, the base game was wholly derivative crap. Oh yeah, the IntArwebz reminds me that the game was "Neocron". I wouldn't touch another Reakktor game with a 10-foot pole.

5. Re: Toxikk Dedicated Servers Requested Aug 6, 2014, 02:22 SS

I just assumed dedicated servers would have been in from the get go, shame this isn't the case. I hope they listen to the fans.

Still, I love the look of this and I'm glad to read there's bots for offline play. I'll probably get this day one.

4. Re: Toxikk Dedicated Servers Requested Aug 5, 2014, 22:08 jdreyer

Cool looking game, crappy sounding name.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

3. Re: Toxikk Dedicated Servers Requested Aug 5, 2014, 21:32 ViRGE

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 18:26:
So much for all that "We're hardcore! No Bullshit! Party like it's 1999!" they were proud about.
Yeah, that's pretty bad (and pretty sad).

2. Re: Toxikk Dedicated Servers Requested Aug 5, 2014, 19:27 bigspender

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 5, 2014, 18:26:
So much for all that "We're hardcore! No Bullshit! Party like it's 1999!" they were proud about.

Bunch of clowns

1. Re: Toxikk Dedicated Servers Requested Aug 5, 2014, 18:26 Wallshadows

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo