Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen in Depth

Star Citizen and the triumphant, record-smashing return of Chris Roberts on Ars Technica looks at the rise and fall of space games and the Wing Commander series in particular in analyzing the current crowd-funded resurgence of the genre. They go on to take a look at dynamics of the Star Citizen's funding and the more direct connection this makes between its audience and its development, and describe how various aspects of development are being handled. There is also a look at the game itself, or games, as they discuss the distinct difference between the solo game and its MMOG side. Here's a bit on how multiplayer will work:

Zurovec explained that there will be lots of places where large groups of playersómore than 50, at leastówill be grouped together fighting for the same cause. However, he said, the most interesting bits will be the little things players can do on their own. "There will be an algorithmic component to mission generation," he explained. "Weíre hoping to design a system that allows for missions that look customized, but are actually composed of atomic elements. Thatíll fill up the universe."

There will also be massive setpiece missions, along the same line as big raid instances in World of Warcraft, but they will be the exception to mission design, not the rule. The goal with Star Citizen isnít to force players into big group-required endgame content, but rather to let everyone be the hero of their own story within the larger evolving galaxy.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 5, 2014, 07:45 TheVocalMinority

[VG]Reagle wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 22:48:
My fingers are twitching to reply to this thread......

OMG MUST STOP NOW!!!!

GIVE IN TO YOUR HATE. HATE MAKES YOU STRONG!

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 5, 2014, 04:54 Kajetan

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 20:09:
theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 19:54:
You repeat the same thing in every topic. Is your life really so pathetic that you have nothing better to do than trash this game? We get it, you don't like the game. If you want to criticise something in particular that's fair enough but you're going out of your way to repeat the same flamebait.

You repeat the same thing in every topic. Is your life really so pathetic that you have nothing better to do than defend this game? We get it, you adore the game. If you want to praise something in particular that's fair enough but you're going out of your way to repeat the same love letters.
That was a very, VERY lame rebuttal. Come on, you can flame and trash-post better, i know it!!!!

38. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 5, 2014, 02:02 Harrowing

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 19:54:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 12:36:

Having played the game I really enjoy it and am more than happy that I backed it. In fact I've pledged more since the release of Arena Commander.

Well if you wanted access to the Darwin Awards, you've made it.
Besides if you really enjoy Arena Commander right now I don't think that there's anything you could play and wouldn't enjoy.

37. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 22:48 [VG]Reagle

My fingers are twitching to reply to this thread......

OMG MUST STOP NOW!!!!

I am MUCH MUCH MUCH better now.

36. removed Aug 4, 2014, 20:09 CJ_Parker

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 5, 2014, 07:43.

35. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 19:54 theyarecomingforyou

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 12:36:
"Works fine" and "good shape" hahaha our hobby Iraqi Information Minister is at it again. I hope you do realize that repeating that utter nonsense doesn't really make it true.
You repeat the same thing in every topic. Is your life really so pathetic that you have nothing better to do than trash this game? We get it, you don't like the game. If you want to criticise something in particular that's fair enough but you're going out of your way to repeat the same flamebait.

Having played the game I really enjoy it and am more than happy that I backed it. In fact I've pledged more since the release of Arena Commander. Clearly other people feel the same way or it wouldn't be the most successful crowdfunded game in history. You can call me all the names you like but it won't stop me enjoying the game.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

34. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 19:04 Dmitri_M

Let me for a moment pretend I'm very new to gaming and that I believe all promises developers make prior to release.

If someone promised the world and it fit with what I envisioned my dream game to be I'd get really excited and enthusiastically wait for it's release.

Would I take out my wallet and pay 100s if not 1000s of dollars toward it, prior to release? Yes, if I lacked all commonsense.

I have games I look forward to, and I follow them religiously. But I won't spend money on them until I've confirmed they live up to expectations. Which I determine by playing at the very least a late beta.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 2014, 19:16.

33. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 18:40 Cutter

Tumbler wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 16:57:
The project as a hole seems to have turned a corner recently. The coverage I see from the press used to feel like they were asking "how big a failure is this going to be?" and now it's "how good is this going to be?"

It feels like they're over the hump now they just need to deliver the best damn game anyone has every seen!

It's exactly like this!

What's even more amazing is that up to now the funding has come with a lot of skepticism and negative feelings surrounding the project...and they hit 40 million before that changed. What do you think the next year will deliver when most of the news you're hearing is positive, the game is playable, new ships coming into the game all the time?

One mustn't count one's chickens before they hatch, mustn't one? I still say people are going to get burned on this game in ways they don't yet expect.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

32. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 18:07 Lothar King Elves

I'm guessing if you could park the Idris in a non-PVP, high security zone and be it should be safe.

31. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 17:40 CJ_Parker

Tumbler wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 16:57:
The project as a hole seems to have turned a corner recently.

Bwwahahaha great typo!

As for your question: This game has a VERY LONG road ahead of it before it becomes a fun game. I'll believe it when I see it. Looking at my investment I really hope it all does work out in the end but at least to me it's currently not looking like it will.
There is too little focus, direction, supervision and getting shit done.
Instead there's too much ego, greed (both in person of Chris Roberts) and moving from "reveal" to "reveal" and module to module, leaving old broken shit behind in favor of working on the next cool thing that will add a million or two to the pile.

They need a much more coherent master plan. Finish a job, then move on to the next. Make sure there is a solid framework, a solid basis to work from. Don't pile more on top of the shaky foundation. Again: Focus and direction.
What Chris Roberts needs is kind of someone who is like a publisher. Someone to pull his head from out of the clouds from time to time, put his feet back on the ground, kick him in the ass or the nut sack and make the little bitch deliver instead of dreaming up moar shit.

/rant

30. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 17:29 Kosumo

Good thing that artical was not written by a fanboi or it would just have been about how much he wanted to meet Christ Roberts and nostalgia.

Oh, wait, my bad - total fan service (at lest the fans are getting something)

29. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 16:57 Tumbler

The project as a hole seems to have turned a corner recently. The coverage I see from the press used to feel like they were asking "how big a failure is this going to be?" and now it's "how good is this going to be?"

It feels like they're over the hump now they just need to deliver the best damn game anyone has every seen!

It's exactly like this!

What's even more amazing is that up to now the funding has come with a lot of skepticism and negative feelings surrounding the project...and they hit 40 million before that changed. What do you think the next year will deliver when most of the news you're hearing is positive, the game is playable, new ships coming into the game all the time?

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

28. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 16:41 CJ_Parker

Optional Nickname! wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 15:16:
Flatline already answered this, and nobody really knows the details regarding insurance, as it will be an on-going issue in the PU,

The insurance system has actually been talked about a lot, also by the devs and at this time it's pretty clear what to expect so it's not true that "no one really knows the details".

Quick rundown: Insurance sticks to the hull and if you have active insurance on your hull then your hull is replaced if your ship blows up. There is lifetime insurance (LTI) for ships purchased before 11/26/2013 [plus customers who bought that mega package you mentioned] and standard insurance [that has the same function as LTI, the only difference being the time limit] that is good for a certain number of months. Simple so far, right?

Additionally you can insure cargo and equipment. There is no LTI for cargo and equipment EXCEPT your LTI pledge ship comes with preinstalled equipment, i.e. if you have upgraded your base pledge ship to a certain variant (exploration focused or whatever) then you get that model back under the LTI conditions.
Back to cargo and equipment: Insurance cost will depend on where you are traveling. Logically it will be cheaper in safe systems and more expensive in the boonies.

And now back to the question of what happens if your $1250 frigate gets ripped to shreds. If the ship is insured then you will get it back but since it is a huge ship it may take a while until you receive your replacement.
The plan as outlined by the devs is to replace common ships like an Aurora instantly but the bigger, fancier, rarer ships will take a certain amount of time and that amount of time might even increase if you are a notorious wrecker.
While you are waiting for your replacement, you can either fly one of your other ships, a friend's/guildie's ship or you can rent a ship.

See, it's not that hard and there aren't that many unknowns.

I've heard the rumors of LTI hulls selling for way over sticker price and I am tempted to see if it's true.

Be tempted no more and lookie here at yours truly who has auctioned off one of his LTI ships recently and doubled his original investment . Or just check eBay if you believe I'm kidding. Lots of LTI ships and packages on there and, no, it's not against the EULA or whatever. CIG has no problem with out of game sales.

The demand for LTI is very high, even though it might just ultimately be a small, but measurable, bonus.

That right there is the big question mark and lots of people seem to be quite literally banking on the fact that LTI will be invaluable.
However, the devs (in fact Chris Roberts Himself) has stated otherwise. Insurance is supposed to be a minor issue and for the game to really get anywhere it will realistically have to be. It would be massively unfair to hundreds of thousands of non-LTI space jockeys if LTI would yield a major advantage.
And no one wants to play insurance simulator or upkeep simulator (you know, there is also hangar fees, taxes etc. so insurance is only one of many money sinks).
That's why insurance will be a no issue in the end. You'll just insure your ship for a few months or a year after flying a couple missions or cargo runs to afford the premium and presto. Ignition. All engines running. And lift-off.

27. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 15:37 NKD

SlimRam wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 15:10:
$45 for the very base copy of Star Citizen.

$75 for the beta to Elite: Dangerous.

AND, 99$ for early access to Line of Defense from 3000AD.

Dammit, ALL 3 games are going to be incredible! But I can only afford two of them, so which two should I get guys, I CAN'T DECIDE!? And No, I didn't even mention the name Derek Smart...I mean...awww DAMMIT!

Or all three could suck, so you wait and get none of them until reviews are out.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

26. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 15:26 Whiskers

All I care about is the single player campaign. I'm hoping it's fun and engaging.  

25. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 15:16 Optional Nickname!

Flatline already answered this, and nobody really knows the details regarding insurance, as it will be an on-going issue in the PU, but here's something: to get a ship right now with LTI you have to buy the Fleet Pack for $2,700.

Even the $1,150 Battle Pack only has 12 months of insurance.

I've heard the rumors of LTI hulls selling for way over sticker price and I am tempted to see if it's true. The demand for LTI is very high, even though it might just ultimately be a small, but measurable, bonus.

24. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 15:10 SlimRam

$45 for the very base copy of Star Citizen.

$75 for the beta to Elite: Dangerous.

AND, 99$ for early access to Line of Defense from 3000AD.

Dammit, ALL 3 games are going to be incredible! But I can only afford two of them, so which two should I get guys, I CAN'T DECIDE!? And No, I didn't even mention the name Derek Smart...I mean...awww DAMMIT!

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 2014, 15:32.

I'm bringing Sexy Back

Luckily, I kept the receipt

23. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 14:42 DangerDog

I don't see this as being anything new or groundbreaking, the first game I played that had this was Starflight, mostly out of necessity due to needing to fit on a 5 1/4 floppy.

The one problem though is that it's pretty easy to see patterns of repetition, kind of like Borderlands and their "bazillions" of guns routine.

22. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 14:39 Flatline

Julio wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 14:37:
Flatline wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 14:33:
Didn't that ship qualify for lifetime insurance? It was early enough in the fundraising run that it should have.

No idea, I'm curious what ships come with insurance and which ones aren't insured. Or is there an ongoing insurance fee?

Anything bought before a specific date has lifetime free insurance. So you basically get a new ship if it gets blown up.

After that you have to buy in-game insurance to get your ships replaced.

21. Re: Star Citizen in Depth Aug 4, 2014, 14:37 Julio

Flatline wrote on Aug 4, 2014, 14:33:
Didn't that ship qualify for lifetime insurance? It was early enough in the fundraising run that it should have.

No idea, I'm curious what ships come with insurance and which ones aren't insured. Or is there an ongoing insurance fee?

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo